The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hansen>>>>>>>>>>>Raymond

Xx Malcolm

I can not believe the amount of people that put so much "potential" on Raymond but fail to see that Hansen is much better. Hansen had his rookie season and put up almost the same amount of points as Raymond did with around twenty less games played.

How come Raymond is considered to have a higher value than Hansen on the team?

You have got to be kidding right. Raymond is a better skater and has better hands than Hansen will ever have. Hansen is just another perimeter playing euro that are a dime a dozen while Raymond is one of the best prospect this organization has. If the Canucks can bring in a coach that actually knows how to coach offense, Raymond will develop into a fine player.

Raymond has been a huge disappointment so far. He was a top prospect at one point but that's no longer the case. I have nothing against the kid because he works hard and has great speed, but I'd much rather have Hansen in his spot. You obviously don't know much about Hansen's play because he is MUCH, MUCH more physical than Raymond can ever hope to be. Raymond is the perimeter player who plays a soft game and is very easy to knock off the puck. You're really underestimating Hansen's offensive skill as well.

This is a great signing by Vancouver and hopefully Gillis can trade Raymond along with someone else to get the mobile defenceman they need.

• 3 years later...

Hansen is a bum who thinks he is better than he is. He hasnt done much to merit a one way contract. Raymond has potential to be good because he is such a great skater. He has shown some flashes of brilliance too. Anyone

remember his goal against the kings last year?? Beaut... v=fzl4tsj9DTA"'>Raymond goal vs kings.

Why do we keep comparing our own players to one another............it is divisive and only leads to polarised views. On their day they are both fine players at WHAT THEY DO.

I emphasise "what they do" because they each play a different type of game.

Let's face it Raymond when fit, makes things happen because of his skill and speed on the break. Hansen is more of a gutsy player who grafts and often much of his work is more noticeable for it's physicality.

They are both exciting to watch and both defend well in their own way. Raymond tends to be tenacious and a worrying type of player, by that I mean he has the speed and skill to catch players up and harass them into turn overs or to get in their face in their own end.

Hansen crashes players, he is more physical and limpet like and seems to relish the whole contact side, much more than Raymond..............BUT and here's the point, they are BOTH effective.

Now lets look at TOI. Many use this as a reason why a players figures are better. However it is also a measure of the stamina of a player .............and not only stamina but using that stamina while remaining efficient...........a difficult thing to do. That is why guys like Bitz were so ineffective and why players like the Twins, Hamhuis and Bieksa are so key to our performance.

Raymond's work rate is phenomenal especially in back checking opponents. Yet he still has to maintain the gas in his tank to hurt the opposition on breakaways...........and he does. That is why he is so valuable to this team.

I am not saying here that Hansen would not be able to cut it on the 2nd line............but it is my opinion, his efficiency would drop. By that I mean that I doubt whether, while trying to maintain his physical game he would be able to sustain anything like his points tally he puts up on the 3rd line.

There is a point to note here also. Hansen plays on a line where he has passing team mates in Manny/Hodgson/Lapierre, Higgins. On the the 2nd playing with the likes of Kes and Booth would be enough in itself to see his production go down.

Raymond, who is used to playing with Kes obviously manages to create a chemistry / workaround for this problem.

So summing up I think both players are at their best (when fit) and playing where they are selected. Once again AV demonstrates his ability to see through the kind of rubbish that gets spouted on here and to see the bigger picture and what's best for the team as a whole.

I just watched the march game of Canucks v Chicago, I think Raymond had just come back from injury, anyway he looked pretty decent, a few good scoring chancesm even drove to the net once. So maybe there is hope for him yet

Archived