The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Hockey Pool Question and Advice Thread (Your thread missing? Likely merged here)

b3.

sent you a PM already Canuckk, but you missed Ryan Shannon completely on my Cap Sheet :)

Heatley Richards Kovalev

Neal Oshie Morrow

Cleary Eller Setoguchi

Shannon Belanger Halpern

Rypien

Mitchell Ehrhoff

Seabrook Giordano

Schultz O'Brien

Kraijcek Sutton

Miller

Raycroft

edit: more than 10 million in cap space left.. anyone looking to unload cap, let me know

My draft is this Saturday and I've given some consideration to changing one of my keepers from Rask to Hiller.

I'm in a head to head league with 5 goaltending categories (wins, goals against average, save percentage, saves, and shutouts). 8 skater categories for a total of13 categories.

To most people I've talked to the obvious decision was to keep Rask but I have some doubts that now have me leaning towards Hiller.

Rask has half a year of experience and despite his amazing numbers in the NHL it is a very limited window to believe he can maintain those numbers or anything close to it. Think about Steve Mason on Columbus last year, his numbers went downhill in his second year. Add to that he has Tim Thomas, a Vezina winner a year ago, as a backup. The coach Claude Julien has also said he will split games between the two so it's almost a certainty that Rask wont get as many starts or wins as Hiller.

Hiller meanwhile is guaranteed to get at least 60 starts, probably closer to 70, and he has two years of experience as a starter in which he has a very respectable amount of saves and save percentage.

Ideally I only want to carry three goalies. Carrying Rask may force me to carry a fourth to be competitive with other teams in my fantasy league in terms of amount of wins and saves.

Any feedback is appreciated. If there is any pertinent information I didn't include let me know.

I'd go with Hiller just based on the fact that he's less of a risk to lose the starting position, if Rask slips a little and Thomas thrives at the start of the season Thomas could end up being their starter pretty quick. Boston as a team will get more wins than Anaheim, but Hiller will see more starts and should put up similar numbers as less of a risk.

That's just my opinion :)

Team A receives: Dany Heatley, Steve Mason and Brian Campbell

Team B receives: Marc Andre Fleury, Sergei Gonchar, Mason Raymond

Who do you think won this trade and why? Just looking for opinions and insight.

Stats in this pool counted are:

Skaters: G, A, plus/minus, Pim, pp points and SOG

Goalies: W, GAA, SV%, SO

There is no salary cap. It's just a regular public yahoo pool

A

Fleury is the most overated goalie in the nhl

Doesn't matter if he's overrated, for pools, he's a stat beast especially on the Penguins. He's good for 35+ wins. Also depends on how amny points wins are, but I think Fleury's a upgrade on Mason. Playoffs for Fleury, and Mason maybe/borderline to make playoffs. Fleury isn't that good, but for pools, he's not a bad goalie to have. Nothing wrong with having a overrated goalie get 35+ wins for your pool. Not saying Mason is bad, but Fleury has a better cast in front of him is basically what I'm saying. :P

Heatley is better then Raymond by far, but I'd take Gonchar over Campbell, for cap reasons, and also because Gonchar is going to be getting top minutes and running the OTT PP all year.

Roster Move: Canucks have sent down G Ondrej Pavelec, F Jamie Mcginn, D Ivan Vishnevskiy, F Kirill Kabanov and F Sergei Shirokov To the Manitoba Moose.

Hudler Staal Gaborik

Simmonds Regin Kane

Pacioretty Arnott Downie

Konopka Turris Kennedy

Green Markov

Demers Russel

Coliacovo Carkner

Polak

Kipprusoff

Leighton

Manitoba Moose

Sergei Shirokov