The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Hockey Pool Question and Advice Thread (Your thread missing? Likely merged here)

b3.

Thanks for the advice :)

Grabbed Ryan Callahan, dropped Stoll. Also gave me some buffer for HIT/BLK so I dropped Orpik and picked up Erik Carlsson. So that should improve my points a bit without losing on the defensive categories.. Still not too sure about the last forward position... Plus/minus isnt in my league so MPS and Versteeg both look promising.. I think MPS has more potential but theres no guarantee he'll even play..

And its a shallowish pool.. There are ten guys in it, they all just drafted poorly hahaha..

Yeah, fair enough. I was basing it off the NHL where free agency does not begin at midnight EST on July 1, but noon EST on July 1. This is to avoid agents, players, and GMs talking contracts through the middle of the night.

I would figure the same sort of logic applies here, even though this is just a game. Not sure about you guys but if I were on the east coast I wouldn't want to be up until midnight to talk about a free GM game.

9:00am PST on Friday Oct 1 is my recommended FA period.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Jason Spezza ($7.000m) / Martin St. Louis ($5.250m)

Kristian Huselius ($4.750m) / Tim Connolly ($4.500m) / Nikolai Antropov ($4.062m)

Nick Foligno ($1.200m) / Alexander Steen ($3.362m) / Bryan Little ($2.383m)

/ Ryan O'Reilly ($0.900m) / Chris Neil ($2.000m)

DEFENSEMEN

Chris Pronger ($4.921m) / Anton Stralman ($1.950m)

Kurtis Foster ($1.800m) / Ryan Whitney ($4.000m)

Fedor Tyutin ($2.843m) / Marc-Andre Bergeron ($0.000m)

GOALTENDERS

Martin Brodeur ($5.200m) /Steve Mason ($0.905m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $71,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,128,512; BONUSES: $50,000

CAP SPACE (19-man roster): $8,321,488

Hey everyone,

Just finished my draft and already questioning a couple of my picks. Its yahoo fantasy format, head to head.

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, FW

We need to go by position. My team:

C Crosby

C Getzlaf

C E.Staal

LW Sharp

LW Ennis

LW Wolski

RW Hemsky

RW Pomminville

RW Hudler

D Phaneuf

D Edler

D Goligoski

D McBain

Bench C O.Jokenin

Bench LW Kunitz

Bench G Varlamov

G Kipprusoff

G Rinne

I am pretty happy with my team. But am unsure about Hudler and Jamie McBain on defense. Scott Cullen at TSN ranks both of them pretty high which is why I picked them. But Hudler is slated for the 3rd line.

Some available players I am thinking of replacing them with:

Defense: Karlsson Ott, Demers SJ, Vlasic SJ, Greene NJ, Carlson Wsh

RW: Bergfors Atl, Little Atl, Clarkson NJ, Fehr Wsh, Williams LA

I was looking at Little and Karlsson, just not sure if they will be better than what I have.

Any advice on any of the players on my team would be appreciated. Also what do you guys think about O.Jokenin this year? Fisher, Brassard, Horcoff are all guys I was looking at that are available.

Keep Hudler - He will have good players to play with... (Bertuzzi, Guerin, Fillipula, etc.)

Drop Mcbain - add Karlsson

Karlsson will get alot of PP time either with Gonchar, or the 2nd unit.

Jokinen is a decent pick, I would've avoided Horcoff and Fisher - But Brassard MAY bounceback.

Yea I was leaning towards keeping Hudler and seeing how he actually does at the start of the season. I think he will be with Modano on the 3rd line, not Filpulla. Brian Little is pretty appealing, 1st line on Atlanta looking at a bounce back season.

I only picked McBain because TSN fantasy ranking is so high on him, thinking he will have 45 points. I didn't even really know who he was. I was considering moving for Karlsson.

I will have a close eye on Brassard to see if he actually gets to play with Nash. With Langkow and Stajan out in Calgary I can't see how Jokenin won't be with Iginla/Tanguay all season. Also he gets quite a few PIM which count in my pool.

Yea I was leaning towards keeping Hudler and seeing how he actually does at the start of the season. I think he will be with Modano on the 3rd line, not Filpulla. Brian Little is pretty appealing, 1st line on Atlanta looking at a bounce back season.

I only picked McBain because TSN fantasy ranking is so high on him, thinking he will have 45 points. I didn't even really know who he was. I was considering moving for Karlsson.

I will have a close eye on Brassard to see if he actually gets to play with Nash. With Langkow and Stajan out in Calgary I can't see how Jokenin won't be with Iginla/Tanguay all season. Also he gets quite a few PIM which count in my pool.

TBH- It's really hard to judge who will play where on Detroit.

To start I would expect Bertuzzi-Hudler-Guerin, but that could change by the 2nd period. But no matter what, Hudler will be playing with talented players.

I have my draft this weekend, so I saw Macbain there while doing my 'homework' and was a little suprised as there is Corvo, Pitkanen, Babchuk ahead of him in the depth chart.

I hate to say it, but sometimes these players are the one that make/break your hockey pool.

what do you guys think of this team I drafted?...weak??...average?

LW:

Bobby Ryan

Patrick Sharp

Brooks Laich

C:

Evegeni Malkin

Henrik Zetterberg

Antoine Vermette

RW:

Kyle Okopso

Nathan Horton

Steve Downie

Dustin Brown

D:

Drew Doughty

Joni Pitkanen

John Michael Liles

Dennis Seidenberg

G:

Semyon Varlamov

Steve Mason

Rick DiPietro

*Marek Zidlicky and Kurtis Foster still available*

You have a really solid looking team. Depending on what stats count I would say your goaltending looks pretty weak, no reliable #1 guy there.

TBH- It's really hard to judge who will play where on Detroit.

To start I would expect Bertuzzi-Hudler-Guerin, but that could change by the 2nd period. But no matter what, Hudler will be playing with talented players.

I have my draft this weekend, so I saw Macbain there while doing my 'homework' and was a little suprised as there is Corvo, Pitkanen, Babchuk ahead of him in the depth chart.

I hate to say it, but sometimes these players are the one that make/break your hockey pool.

I agree with you on the Carolina defence depth chart. Aswell I think most people in my pool were surprised when I picked McBain, so I doubt he will be snagged if I drop him. Maybe I will swap for Karlsson and then just keep an eye on McBain.

** I just also realized that Bogosian is still available too, although I dont like taking +/- risks on my team. I think I would still take Karlsson over Bogosian.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what happened to The Hockey News hockey pool, (at least I think it was run by the hockey news). I believe it was called salary cap challenge or something along these lines? You had $30 M and picked a full line up plus a spare and could buy and sell players whenever you wanted for market value? If you bought low and sold high you could increase your teams salary cap. I have played this the last couple years but can't seem to find it this year.

If this pool is no longer, can anyone else suggest a good one that is similar?

Thanks.

So you mean 9:01pm on Thursday Sept. 30 PST? I'm hoping that you mean 12:01PM EST, which is noon, so 9am on the West Coast.

I mean when it hits October 1st in EST 12:01am ( 9:01pm PST). I think then the ufa period should begin lol. Not a big deal.......But if I were a team I would not expect a response 5 minutes after an offer is tabled whenever the period starts....So it should not be of concern to a team if the signing period starts at 9:00pm or am. You will likely see a quite period where offers are gathered etc before players and agents start replying. So patience will be key!

What do you guys think of my team??

Categories are: G, A, plus-minus, SOG, PPP, SHP, Blocked shots and Hits for skaters and W, SO, GAA, and Save Percentage for goalies

Bobby Ryan - Stamkos - Backes

Morrow - Datsyuk - Pominville

Perron - Zajac - Evander Kane

Paajarvi

Rafalski - Ballard

E. Johnson - Ryan Suter

E. Karlsson - *Markov (IR)

Lundqvist

N. Backstrom

S. Mason

What do you guys think of my team??

Categories are: G, A, plus-minus, SOG, PPP, SHP, Blocked shots and Hits for skaters and W, SO, GAA, and Save Percentage for goalies

Bobby Ryan - Stamkos - Backes

Morrow - Datsyuk - Pominville

Perron - Zajac - Evander Kane

Paajarvi

Rafalski - Ballard

E. Johnson - Ryan Suter

E. Karlsson - *Markov (IR)

Lundqvist

N. Backstrom

S. Mason

Thank goodness you have Lunqvist as your goalie. Although, with Harding out he'll probably play more seeing as Minnesota has no bonafide backup

Other than that, I would have taken James Neal instead of Morrow. I think he'll be playing on the first line with Richards and Eriksson.

Your team looks pretty solid, having Backstrom and Mason and #2/3 goalies is pretty solid because one of them could have a bounce back year and you have the always steady Lundqvist to do most of the work.

You look pretty deep at Center so that is good, your D looks a bit weak. I don't know much about the hits/blocked shots and which guys are good for that.

Depending on who is still available would depend on what to do with your team.

Just finished my fantasy draft with 7 people (drafted 14 Forwards/5 Dmen/2 Goalies/3 Subs). What do you think?

untitled-1.jpg

Also... these players are available, should I drop anyone for any of these FA's?

- Vermette

- Huselius

- Clowe

- Prospal

- Ray Whitney

- Krejci

- Versteeg

- Backes

- McDonald

- Berglund

- Boyes

- Justin Williams

- James Neal

- Jamie Benn

- Hudler

- Setoguchi

Also, Rinne is my sub goalie, should I switch him for Bernier/Vokoun/Elliot?

Also, for dmen Kurtis Foster/Giordano/Oliver Ekman Larsson/Pieterangelo is available.

I have a goldmine of Free Agency. HELP PLEASE :D

Archived