The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Hockey Pool Question and Advice Thread (Your thread missing? Likely merged here)

b3.

What are the categories stats are based upon? Is this a keeper pool?

Regardless, I would take Kesler + Kane because in the playoffs your guaranteed points from Kesler and Kane.

Marleau is on a playoff team which chokes in the playoffs.

As for Cammalleri, with Halak traded, I don't see the Canadiens going very far with Price.

Kane is also only going to get better, this year he had 88 points.

What are the categories stats are based upon? Is this a keeper pool?

Regardless, I would take Kesler + Kane because in the playoffs your guaranteed points from Kesler and Kane.

Marleau is on a playoff team which chokes in the playoffs.

As for Cammalleri, with Halak traded, I don't see the Canadiens going very far with Price.

Kane is also only going to get better, this year he had 88 points.

Guaranteed playoff points from Kesler but not Marleau?

What makes the Sharks any bigger chokers than the Canucks, the Sharks made the Conference finals this year, we didn't.

Don't playoffs start near the end of regular season in h2h pools?

Marleau and Cam are both LW eligible and that is the weakest position in all of fantasy hockey. I wouldn't do that trade because I think Marleau is a pretty safe bet for close to 40 goals playing with Heatley. Kane is probably going to threaten for 90-100 pts this year but that's at RW and a relatively deeper position. So let's say Marleau/Kane is about a wash or maybe a slight edge to Kane. Keep in mind also that Marleau has dual eligibility and that should always be a consideration.

After that it's between Cam and Kesler. Cam is significantly more valuable IMO because he's a LW and a Centre who can score 70 pts is a dime a dozen in fantasy hockey. Kesler is also a +/- risk believe it or not because he's in there against the top guys so much (only +2 last year) and he's on second powerplay. Cam is likely top PP and if he stays healthy he should be a pretty safe bet to score 30 goals. 30 goal LWers are not in abundance so I think you're better off not doing this trade.

If you need help at Centre, there are probably a few 1st-line pivots available via Free Agency.

Sorry guys, this is not a keeper league. My pool ends at the end of the regular season.

Stats for skaters are:

G

A

Powerplay Points

+/-

SOG

Faceoffs won

Don't playoffs start near the end of regular season in h2h pools?

Marleau and Cam are both LW eligible and that is the weakest position in all of fantasy hockey. I wouldn't do that trade because I think Marleau is a pretty safe bet for close to 40 goals playing with Heatley. Kane is probably going to threaten for 90-100 pts this year but that's at RW and a relatively deeper position. So let's say Marleau/Kane is about a wash or maybe a slight edge to Kane. Keep in mind also that Marleau has dual eligibility and that should always be a consideration.

After that it's between Cam and Kesler. Cam is significantly more valuable IMO because he's a LW and a Centre who can score 70 pts is a dime a dozen in fantasy hockey. Kesler is also a +/- risk believe it or not because he's in there against the top guys so much (only +2 last year) and he's on second powerplay. Cam is likely top PP and if he stays healthy he should be a pretty safe bet to score 30 goals. 30 goal LWers are not in abundance so I think you're better off not doing this trade.

If you need help at Centre, there are probably a few 1st-line pivots available via Free Agency.

You put up some good points, however as it turns out, my RW isn't very good. I've got Franzen, Boyes and Briere on RW.

LW is Cammalleri, Vanek, Ray Whitney (and marleau sorta)

Im deep with centers.

Also, I heard Kesler is playing on the 1st PP Unit with the sedins this season, as well as Marleau wont be playing with heatley/thornton unless only on the PP.

Sorry guys, this is not a keeper league. My pool ends at the end of the regular season.

Stats for skaters are:

G

A

Powerplay Points

+/-

SOG

Faceoffs won

You put up some good points, however as it turns out, my RW isn't very good. I've got Franzen, Boyes and Briere on RW.

LW is Cammalleri, Vanek, Ray Whitney (and marleau sorta)

Im deep with centers.

Also, I heard Kesler is playing on the 1st PP Unit with the sedins this season, as well as Marleau wont be playing with heatley/thornton unless only on the PP.

I'd stick with who you've got.

Marleau will be playing with Heatley and Pavelski to start the year, as they've looked great in pre-season, and their coach likes the line. Thornton will be with Clowe and Setoguchi.

I'm doing a box pool and a couple boxes I'm not sure of. NOT A KEEPER POOL! This is the point system:

1 point for assist/goal

.5 point for PIM(goon only)

--------------------------------

Daniel Alfredsson

Eric Staal

Tomas Plekanec

Vincent Lecavalier

Derek Roy

Leaning towards Staal but input?

------------------------------

Dustin Byfuglien

Dion Phaneuf

Andrei Markov

Matt Carle

Micheal Del Zotto

Thinking about going with either Markov or Byfuglien. If Byfuglien goes into forward then it will be very good, but Markov is a beast.

Patrick Marleau

Dany Heatley

Anze Kopitar

Ryan Getzlaf

Patrick Kane

No idea here, too many stars.

-----------------------------

---------------------------

Corey Perry

Paul Stastny

Ryan Kesler

Henrik Zetterberg

Jarome Iginla

Thinking about going with Stastny. Not positive though

---------------------------

-------------------------

Patrick Sharp

Bobby Ryan

Chris Stewart

Antoine Vermette

Dustin Penner

Stewart or Ryan?

Alex Edler

Keith Yandle

Erik Johnson

Edler or Yandle I'm leaning towards.

Duncan Keith

Drew Doughty

Which one?

------------------------

------------------------

Kevin Bieksa

Manny Malholtra

Raffi Torres

Jannik Hansen

------------------------

------------------------

Zack Stortini

Colton Orr

BJ Crombeen

Jared Boll

George Parros

Raitis Ivanans

Rick Rypien

------------------------

Sorry Canuckk, have been quite busy lately, Dylan Olsen and Carl Klingberg to finish off the drafting.

Got it, thanks.

Teams that still haven't finished their picks:

Montreal, Philadelphia - way too many picks

Toronto - 6 picks

So, as many of you have probably assumed by now, Montreal and Philadelphia are officially folded. Their players will now become Unrestricted Free Agents.

Toronto also has until October 1st to make up their picks, or their team will be folded as well, and their players will also become UFAs.

All free agent contract offers will open on October 1st at 12:01 AM PST. That includes UFAs as well as players that were drafted in the dispersal draft that do not yet have real-life NHL contracts. All contract offers must be PMed to either myself or Mike Vanderhoek.

I will continue to update the cap sheets over the next couple of days. I have almost half done right now, and will try (but likely fail) to have them all updated by the time the free agent market opens. Most likely though, they'll be done before the season starts.

I'll also be updating the rosters on PickupHockey (the site used for stat & point tracking) soon; I'll post the link when it's up.

All teams must also be under the salary cap by Thursday, October 8th at 12:01 AM PST or their entire team will be temporarily suspended until they make a move to get under the salary cap.

If you guys have any other questions or concerns, just let me know, and I'll address them as best as I can.

You're gonna be up at 3 am where you're at?????blink.gif

laugh.gif No, I'll get to it in the morning. Don't expect instant responses on your offers, guys. Players, especially the big names from Montreal and Philadelphia, will be taking time to let teams get their offers in, and narrow it down gradually. But it shouldn't take longer then a week or two for most of the big contracts to get dealt with (I hope).

When do waivers open

They're already in effect.

Ohh yeah and canukk I can't do my own spreadsheet because ever since school started ive had little free time

No worries man, I'll get to it.

Also, minor note, but the Injured Reserve (IR) is now officially open. So teams with injured players (*cough* Streit *cough*) can now place their players on IR and have them not count against the cap or for a roster spot as long as they remain on IR. They can only be placed on IR, however, if they are also on IR in the real NHL. There's a link on the first post to a good resource to check whether a player is on IR or not (and it is the official resource I will be using as well). If you wish to place a player on IR, please, please, please check this resource first to make sure they are. It will save me the time of checking and denying your IR assignment if the player turns out not to be on real-life IR yet.

Archived