The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Hockey Pool Question and Advice Thread (Your thread missing? Likely merged here)

b3.

I am a current GM of a fantastic keeper league. It is a unique stats league that not only includes goals and assists, but PIM, plus/minus, shots on goal, Game winning Goals, Hits and blocked shots. It is a diverse league with currently 28 GM's and require 2 more. We are in our 2nd season of the league, so it is relatively new. If you are interested in taking over one of the 2 vacant teams, you can email me at chadle87@yahoo.com. The website is http://home.cogeco.ca/~pshlhockey/. Boston and Buffalo are the 2 vacant teams without a GM, and in our innagural season, a fantasy draft was done to disperse players amongst teams.

soo it doesn't look like people really give a crap about this thread, but if anyone wants to share their thoughts on this, i'd appreciate it.

I have BRODEUR and MILLER in my pool. brodeur has been playing pretty well i guess, and i'm actually thinking about dropping miller. i just see brodeur being more steady for the dying days of the season

so, here are some goalies that are available for me: BOUCHER (PHI), BOBROVSKY (PHI), ELLIS (TBL), ROLOSON (TBL), HILLER (ANA), RINNE (NSH), NIEMI (SJS)

THANKS!!

soo it doesn't look like people really give a crap about this thread, but if anyone wants to share their thoughts on this, i'd appreciate it.

I have BRODEUR and MILLER in my pool. brodeur has been playing pretty well i guess, and i'm actually thinking about dropping miller. i just see brodeur being more steady for the dying days of the season

so, here are some goalies that are available for me: BOUCHER (PHI), BOBROVSKY (PHI), ELLIS (TBL), ROLOSON (TBL), HILLER (ANA), RINNE (NSH), NIEMI (SJS)

THANKS!!

wow i'm guessing there's not a whole lot of teams in your pool. I personally would keep Miller, but if you're really considering to drop him, then I would go for Roloson or Hiller. Roloson's been on fire since heading the bolts, and Hiller is having a pretty good season. Although the Philly goalies might get you more wins, they don't have a clearcut no.1 goalie, so you won't get as many starts.

Should i do either of these trades?

I give: Bobby Ryan

I get: Corey Crawford

or

I give: Bobby Ryan, Patrice Bergeron

I get: Matt Duchene, Dwayne Roloson

Wow. no dude, especially the first trade. I see you're looking for goalie help. I'm pretty sure Bobby Ryan can get you a better goalie than that.

I might be interested

Also sitting in 2nd place only a few points out of first place, but I had Edler in my pool and now he is done for the season. So I wanted to try and upgrade my defense to fill Edlers spot.

I was thinking either

I get Weber and Doan for Couture and Fowler

I get better this year and the other guy gets solid rookies, I am not really keen on giving up Fowler though

Other one was

I get Burrows, Neal and Ehrhoff for Couture, Clowe and Frolik

I already have both Sedins so having Burrows would be nice.

Other people asked if I was interested in Goligoski, Liles and Carle

I want to decide this by next week sometime and this is a keeper league.

Thoughts?

Weber is a stud. I say yes for sure. and since you're looking for an Edler replacement, Ehrhoff is definately a great candidate since he plays on the no.1 PP unit. and plus you get the best team in the league's number one line. I would definately do that deal as well. Except the downside to that is that you have a lot of players from the same team, which could be a bad thing sometimes (ie. if team gets shutout, or the line is held off the scoresheet). But i would still do it.

Hey guys, any idea whether or not Kevin Poulin (G for the Islanders) has been reassigned to the AHL? He's listed as NA (not available) in Yahoo's fantasy league, but it doesn't say why.

I would just stay away from Isles goalies altogether.

Who should I drop for Nabokov?

-Neuvrith

-Lindback

-Rask

Neuvirth, easily.

Any advice on what to do with Pavelec?

He's been stinking it up lately. I've been benching him the last few games.

Oh, and someone dropped Malkin in my 3 player keeper league. I managed to get him off waivers :D The guy that dropped him is pretty much out of the playoffs and has Perry, Getzlaf, and Kovalchuk. But I would rather have kept Malkin IMO. Oh well, lucky for me I guess. I got him today and just stashed him on my IR. My 3 keepers were going to be H.Sedin, Thornton and Zetterberg, but I'm gonna keep Malkin now. Who do you guys think I should keep between Big Joe and Zetterberg? Zetterbergs having a much better year, but we all know what Big Joe can do (the only kicker is his SOG).

I give: Eric Staal, Mike Richards

I get: Steven Stamkos, Phil Kessel

Point system is pretty basic...

Goals (G) - 3

Assists (A) - 2

Plus/Minus (+/-) - 1

Penalty Minutes (PIM) - 0.5

Powerplay Points (PPP) - 1

Shorthanded Points (SHP) - 2

Shots on Goal (SOG) - 0.4

Kessel's inconsistency scares me, but I do get Stamkos...

I'd take Stamkos + Kessel, though it's a close one

Reason is because if Carolina makes the playoffs, they'll have to face a team like Tampa or Philly, which wont last too long.

Stamkos will get you a large sum of points because Goals are worth 3 and there is SOG counted.

Kessel has second most Shots in the league with 243, and Stamkos has the most PP points, and the 3rd most Game winning goals.

Create a Player is a game run by CF94 (me) on NHL Eastside Hockey Manager 2007, where CDC members like yourselves can create your own player who works his way up from the junior ranks all the way to the pro leagues. Players will be automatically given a birth year of 1992, meaning that players will start out as 13/14 year olds. This is similar to Be a Pro on the EA NHL series, but more in-depth, although you don't have the ability to play as your player. No involvement is required after you post your player's stats, but replying to keep the topic alive and near the top of the board is much appreciated.

Players will start with a current ability of 50 and potential of -10. The current ability is the approximate average of a player's attributes, and the potential is (obviously) what the player could become. -10 is a random potential, meaning that your player could end up with a current ability anywhere from 170 to 200. 170 is an elite player who would be one of the best players on his team. 200 is a superstar at the level of a Crosby, Ovechkin, etc. For an in-depth explanation of the attributes and potential, go here.

To create your player, you'll need to fill out a spreadsheet with a player template on it, and post your results in this thread. The amount of points you have to spend on your attributes depends on the role you choose for your player. If you choose to be an offensive player, you'll be given more points to spend on your offensive attributes, as is the same with defensive players and defensive attributes. The spreadsheet calculates the amount of points you've spent as well as how many you have left to spend, so creating a player takes very little work on your part. Please take note that the minimum amount of points that you're allowed to spend on an attribute is 1, not 0.

Spreadsheet Download (Credits to Calv from ehmtheblueline.com for creating the spreadsheet)

If you don't have Microsoft Excel or an alternative program, I've uploaded a copy of the spreadsheet here. My two requests if you choose to use this is that you remove your information after you've posted your player in the thread, and that you wait your turn if someone else is using the spreadsheet.

If you would like to change teams at any point in your pro career, you may request a move by posting in this thread. Unlike past games, I will only trade you to a team that is interested in you instead of moving you wherever you want. Once you request a move, I will post a list of the teams that have interest in you, and you can choose from there where you want to go. To prevent having too many trades, you'll be limited to three trade requests in your career.

Other Notes:

• The maximum amount you can spend on offensive or defensive role is 20.
  • Injury proneness is the opposite of the other attributes. 20 means very injury prone, while 1 means rarely injured. This also means that a 1 would take 19 attribute points, a 19 would take 1 attribute point, and so on.
  • Do not confuse junior club with major junior, college, or any elite European leagues. Remember, you're 13 and 14 year olds, and you won't be playing at that level yet.
  • I will try to provide updates as often as possible, but if things come up in real life this may not always be possible. I usually try to sim a season before I go to bed, and post the update when I get home from school the next day. If there's enough time, I can sometimes provide two updates in one day, but don't expect that.

Players:

1. Sheldon Fries - CF94
  2. Corey Trevor - Walk The Dinosaur
  3. The Rock - Moonwalker
    Zino Zakovic - Ace of Spades
  4. Chase Degimaro - SodaPop
  5. Mike Stewart - Al Strachan
  6. Demyan Tolochko - One one two
  7. Stephen Charles - SedinNumberThree
  8. Gurinder Gill - Kovalchuk™
  9. Kevin Li - Unstoppable
  10. Kellan Tedea - Ohlund_Forever