The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Hockey Pool Question and Advice Thread (Your thread missing? Likely merged here)

b3.

I am in a deadlock with another GM and we are desperate to get something done before October 1st. It's been 4 days of this now. He really needs a goaltender and is after Cam Ward and he would also like to snag Simone Gagne as well. He has Corey Perry which is one of the best Hockey Pool players, Daniel Sedin and Rinne. I need Rinne to fill Wards void and I really want Perry or Sedin. Teams are as follows:

Myself:

C: Zetterberg, Tavares, Kesler, M.Koivu, Modano, Duchene

LW: Simon Gagne, David Perron

RW: Langenbrunner, Shirokov, Pominville

D: Lidstrom, Pronger, Keith, Zidlicky

G: Nabokov, Ward

His Team:

C: Krejci, Stamkos, Horton

LW: D. Sedin, Scott Hartnell, Erik Cole

RW: Corey Perry, D. Backes, Knuble, Sykora

D: Phaneuf, Boyle, Ehrhoff, Bogosian

G: Turco, Rinne, Anderson

We ahve been trying to come to a conclusion that sees ward and gagne go his way and perry,sedin and rinne going my way. Suggest any good package ideas !!

If I'm not mistaken, Cam.

Perry gets you PIMs, Sedin and Perry are both PPG players.. Gagne is a flag, but he and Pominville are PPG players too. Zidlicky's good for about 40-50 points, probably on the upper end with the new Wild system, but his plus/minus is going to be murder. Cam is a giant upgrade over Rinne though.. but I guess it depends on who you pick up from waivers. If you pick up a defenseman of quality, around 40-50 points (if they're still available) or good PIMs and +/-.. then it would look like a completely different trade.

Well it really and completely depends on who is left when it's your pick. Unless you have the 1st pick, in which case take Ovechkin... but otherwise it's really hard to give advice.

i dont just mean the first player.

Thats easy enough.

How bout some forwards, defensemen ?

First round - i usually grab a superstar

second-top goalie

third-superstar

fourth-top defenseman or quality forward

fifth- second top goalie

sixth-doan type player who will consistently get me pts across the board

7th-quality winger

8th-probably a defenseman

9th-foward

10-forward

11-defenseman like bieska if hes around

12-def like ehroff

13-backup goalie or def

currently my team looks like:

center: h. sedin, d. krejci, c. hodgson, j. tavares

left wing: d. sedin, s. hartnell, m. lucic

right wing: j. franzen, j. pominville, b. little

defense: s. weber, a. edler, c. ehrhoff, k. letang

goal: n. backstrom, j. hiller

i usually tend to roll the dice on canucks players and this year is no exception. i'm usually successful doing so (won my league last year, 2nd the year before). in fact i currently put in a waiver claim for s. shirokov, dropping b. little. should go through monday.

the risk with having so many players from one team for me is i play in a head to head league, not rotisserie, so if theres a week where the canucks dont have many games i'm apt to get smoked.

This was my picks for a 9 person pool that required 6 forwards 3 d-men and 2 goals. Points are as followed;

goal= 1 assist = 1 goalie win = 1 goalie shutout = 2

I had 8th Pick

1. Mike Green

2. Danny Heatley

3. H. Sedin

4. D. Sedin

5. A. Markov

6. C. Osgood

7. P. Stastny

8. S. Varlimov

9. O. Jokinen

10. Ryan Whitney

11. M. Michalik

The position you pick makes all the difference. The top 3 guys are obvious (Sid, Ovie, Malkin) Always keep in mind scoring defencemen can be worth picking up early. Guys like Green Markov and Streit and be good if available.

Deep Sleepers this year are.

1. Vermette

2. Havlat. Not a deep sleeper but expect him to show up in minnesota

3. Paul Kariya

4. Tim Connelly ( injury problem )

5. Andy Mcdonald

6. Bernier

7. Shirokov ( only if you have bench players )

The truth about hockey pools is its not the first 10 players you take that win the pool. Its the last 5.

This was my picks for a 9 person pool that required 6 forwards 3 d-men and 2 goals. Points are as followed;

goal= 1 assist = 1 goalie win = 1 goalie shutout = 2

I had 8th Pick

1. Mike Green

2. Danny Heatley

3. H. Sedin

4. D. Sedin

5. A. Markov

6. C. Osgood

7. P. Stastny

8. S. Varlimov

9. O. Jokinen

10. Ryan Whitney

11. M. Michalik

The position you pick makes all the difference. The top 3 guys are obvious (Sid, Ovie, Malkin) Always keep in mind scoring defencemen can be worth picking up early. Guys like Green Markov and Streit and be good if available.

Im in 3 professional pools this year. 200$ entry to each.

The fact that you got Jokinen past 50 players means your pool has nobody with any skill. ( except you ??)

Nice Early pick with Heatley, Where did Vinny L go ?

Sorry it's Cam Ward in the deal.

So Team 1 is trading : Ward, Gagne, Zidlicky, Pominville

And Team 2 trades : Perry D Sedin and Rinne

C.Ward>Rinne Team 2 obviously wins

Gagne = D Sedin This one is too close to call. I will leave it up to individual judgement

Pominville<Perry Team 1 gets a huge win here but it balances the hit taken in the Rinne/Ward part

Zidlicky....Helps Team 2 which has a horrid defense

Team 2 needs centres and defense and netminding with Netminding being the biggest need

Team 1 needs left wingers and amybe an upgrade in the right wing department

Archived