The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The HEAVY METAL Thread

canucklehead666

What Genre of Metal do you listen to?  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Post all metal-related stuff here (albums you like, news, upcoming shows, photos, etc.)

There was an older thread but it dropped off so I will do my best to keep this one going...

CONCERTS for all of you metalheads:

NOVEMBER 30TH (MONDAY):

GWAR / Job For A Cowboy / The Red Chord @ The Commodore $49

DECEMBER 2ND (WEDNESDAY):

Hatebreed / Cannibal Corpse / Hate Eternal / Born Of Osiris / Unearth @ Commodore

DECEMBER 4TH (FRIDAY):

Nylithia / Reckoner / Excruciating Pain / Devour The Suffering @ Fernbridge Hall (2389 2ooth St., Langley). All-ages; $5.

DECEMBER 5TH (SATURDAY):

Dimebag Darrell tribute show:

Fallen Decade / Entropia / Resurgence / Alone Against Rome @ Funky Winterbeans (35 W. Hastings). 8 pm, $10

DECEMBER 8TH (TUESDAY):

Steel Panther / Goodbye Beatdown / Black Betty / Venice Queen @ Commodore. $20 +SC

DECEMBER 11TH (FRIDAY):

Cobalt RIP: Dayglo Abortions / Tyrants Blood / Deadriver Wasteland @ The Biltmore. $15; show starts at 9 pm

DECEMBER 12TH (SATURDAY):

Golers / Titans Eve / Fetus Grinder @ Funky Winterbeans (35 W. Hastings). $10; 8 pm

DECEMBER 19TH (SATURDAY):

Nylithia / Skullhammer / Excruciating Pain / Galgamex @ Ri9ckshaw. $10

JANUARY 23

Devildriver/Suffocation/Goatwhore /Thy will be done @ The Rickshaw (all ages)

JANUARY 31

Korpiklaani/ Tyr/ Swashbuckle/White Wizzard @ Rickshaw Theater

FEBRUARY 5

Arch Enemy/ Exodus/ Arsis/ Mutiny Within @ The Commodore

FEBRUARY 13

Epica/ Daath/ Blackguard @ Sugar (Victoria)

Anvil @Venue (Vancouver)

MARCH 19

Kreator/ Kataklysm/ Evile/ Lightning Swords of Death/ Lazarus AD

Friday March 19th Doors 7PM at The Rickshaw Theatre

APRIL 15

Overkill/ VADER/ GOD DETHRONED/ WARBRINGER/ EVILE and WOE OF TYRANTS @ The Red Room

APRIL 18

Sonata Arctica/ Mutiny Within/ Powerglove @Venue 881 Granville St

You may have seen on the news this week that former DANZIG drummer Chuck Biscuits had died... Turns out it was a bizarre hoax

Chuck is a former member of Vancouver's own DOA, plus did time with BLACK FLAG, SOCIAL DISTORTION, and apparently did drum tracks on RUN DMC's Tougher Than Leather album, in addition to the first 4 DANZIG discs

I have a question (that I was going to start a thread over... but didn't get a chance to.) Exactly what makes a style "metal" or "not metal?" I mean, what is the line where you cross over from hard rock... to "metal?"

I ask this because of how things have changed over time compared to the past. Take bands like Black Sabbath, Rush, AC/DC, etc. Many people considered them as a type of "metal" back in the 70s and 80s, but today some people consider them more "hard rock" then metal.

I have a question (that I was going to start a thread over... but didn't get a chance to.) Exactly what makes a style "metal" or "not metal?" I mean, what is the line where you cross over from hard rock... to "metal?"

I ask this because of how things have changed over time compared to the past. Take bands like Black Sabbath, Rush, AC/DC, etc. Many people considered them as a type of "metal" back in the 70s and 80s, but today some people consider them more "hard rock" then metal.

Vocals has a lot to do with it. Hard rock also tends to have more poppy qualities to the riffs.

Anyone checked out the new Black Dahlia album? It's pretty wicked.

My favourite release of this year however was definitely Lamb of God's "Wrath".

Amazing album.

It really is a subjective thing... the list of genres and subgenres (and even sub-subgenres) is a long and complicated thing to say the least. The one thing I can say for certain is Black Sabbath is metal. They may not have played the first metallic riffs, but they were one of the first truly pure metal bands. They along with acts like Blue Cheer really took the use of distorted guitars first used by the Kinks (You Really Got Me is essentially the first hard rock song, funny note about that, Ray Davies created the distortion sound by accident when he jammed knitting needles into his amp).

From there it gets confusing, though. AC/DC have metallic overtones, but are essentially a heavy blues band. Van Halen? Hard rock. Rush? Though their influence on bands will likely be heard for generations, especially in the progressive metal genre, to me at least are hard rock. The 70's saw the birth of some of the biggest metal acts (Judas Priest and Iron Maiden) while a number of bands that went on to be hard rock legends were at the time considered metal (Deep Purple, Blue Oyster Cult and others).

The 80's lead to an explosion not just in popularity among fans, but bands as well. The NWOBHM (New Wave Of British Heavy Metal) scene started at the tail end of the 70's with bands like Iron Maiden, Saxon, Def Leppard (yes, before Mutt Lange destroyed them), Raven, Venom, Diamond Head and others. Some, like Maiden and Leppard went on to become multi-platinum selling artists, while others faded into obscurity, though some became well known through bands they influenced... In the US, metal began to become prominent thanks to MTV (this is weird, they used to show music videos on that channel. No, I'm serious...) and both hard rock and metal scenes sprouted all over the country, though as with most entertainment, most attention was focused on California. The LA scene was the home of hard rock, bands like Motley Crue, Poison, Cinderella and tons more played the Sunset Strip and became huge, following in the wake of the already mega-platinum Van Halen. But LA was also home to Metallica (who would later move to San Francisco) and Slayer, 2 of the Big 4 bands of thrash metal (subgenres...). While LA's ozone layer was depleted by the Aqua Net abuse, The Bay Area saw the emergence of some of the best thrash metal acts, along with Metallica, Megadeth (featuring ex- Metallica guitarist Dave Mustaine), Legacy (who went on to become Testament), Exodus (whose founding guitarist Kirk Hammett replaced Mustaine), Death Angel (5 Filipino cousins who were all under the age of 21 when their debut album was released, drummer Andy Galeon was just 14!), Forbidden, Possessed and others. But other scenes across the country emerged: Florida became the birthplace of death metal, Seattle brought us Metal Church and Queensryche, and microscenes in states like Texas and New Orleans, as well as the strong NY scene, home of Anthrax, Overkill, Whiplash, Prong and others was prominent as well. Metal and Hard Rock dominated the charts and the airwaves. Then literally days before MTV announced their plans to launch a 24 hour metal channel, some band named Nirvana came along, and the masses were told that metal and hard rock was no longer cool.

hmmm... this ended up being a lot longer than I had anticipated... anyways I have more on this, but I will finish it another time :)

Would you ever call The Cranberries metal?

It has the obligatory metal style guitar riffs.

Metal and Hard Rock dominated the charts and the airwaves. Then literally days before MTV announced their plans to launch a 24 hour metal channel, some band named Nirvana came along, and the masses were told that metal and hard rock was no longer cool.

You wouldn't dignify all those 80's hair bands as to call them 'metal', would you?

Why did they shoot down their plans anyways, since grunge very much fits the hard rock category, and could very well fill the slots?

How about industrial metal? Is that a subcategory worthy of mention?

You wouldn't dignify all those 80's hair bands as to call them 'metal', would you?

Why did they shoot down their plans anyways, since grunge very much fits the hard rock category, and could very well fill the slots?

How about industrial metal? Is that a subcategory worthy of mention?

No I don't consider them metal, they're hard rock and plain and simple. Basically, it was all marketing as far as the channel getting killed. Nirvana was breaking, and the labels were falling over themselves to sign the next Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Tons of hard rock and metal bands were unceremoniously dumped by their labels as they sought to cash in on this trend. It was all about image, really. Tight spandex and hairspray were replaced by Doc Martens and flannel... you know I think grunge was the precursor to Emo in a lot of ways... anyways...

and yes, Industrial metal is just one of a ton of subgenres:

thrash

speed

death

grindcore

crossover

industrial

progressive

gothic

doom or stoner

classical

black

and I will go on record as saying (and this is the only time I will wade into this debate, y'all can argue about this if you want, but I waged this war while some of you were still in diapers lol) most of the bands that are considered Nu-metal are not metal. They are hard rock bands with metallic overtones. But if you think about it, the hard rock/glam checklist can be applied to numetal quite successfully: a focus on fashion and image over music, the desire for mainstream success, gimmicks... it's all there.

I will begrudgingly admit that Slipknot is a metal band, though their marketing and schtick has no place in metal...

It really is a subjective thing... the list of genres and subgenres (and even sub-subgenres) is a long and complicated thing to say the least. The one thing I can say for certain is Black Sabbath is metal. They may not have played the first metallic riffs, but they were one of the first truly pure metal bands. They along with acts like Blue Cheer really took the use of distorted guitars first used by the Kinks (You Really Got Me is essentially the first hard rock song, funny note about that, Ray Davies created the distortion sound by accident when he jammed knitting needles into his amp).

From there it gets confusing, though. AC/DC have metallic overtones, but are essentially a heavy blues band. Van Halen? Hard rock. Rush? Though their influence on bands will likely be heard for generations, especially in the progressive metal genre, to me at least are hard rock. The 70's saw the birth of some of the biggest metal acts (Judas Priest and Iron Maiden) while a number of bands that went on to be hard rock legends were at the time considered metal (Deep Purple, Blue Oyster Cult and others).

The 80's lead to an explosion not just in popularity among fans, but bands as well. The NWOBHM (New Wave Of British Heavy Metal) scene started at the tail end of the 70's with bands like Iron Maiden, Saxon, Def Leppard (yes, before Mutt Lange destroyed them), Raven, Venom, Diamond Head and others. Some, like Maiden and Leppard went on to become multi-platinum selling artists, while others faded into obscurity, though some became well known through bands they influenced... In the US, metal began to become prominent thanks to MTV (this is weird, they used to show music videos on that channel. No, I'm serious...) and both hard rock and metal scenes sprouted all over the country, though as with most entertainment, most attention was focused on California. The LA scene was the home of hard rock, bands like Motley Crue, Poison, Cinderella and tons more played the Sunset Strip and became huge, following in the wake of the already mega-platinum Van Halen. But LA was also home to Metallica (who would later move to San Francisco) and Slayer, 2 of the Big 4 bands of thrash metal (subgenres...). While LA's ozone layer was depleted by the Aqua Net abuse, The Bay Area saw the emergence of some of the best thrash metal acts, along with Metallica, Megadeth (featuring ex- Metallica guitarist Dave Mustaine), Legacy (who went on to become Testament), Exodus (whose founding guitarist Kirk Hammett replaced Mustaine), Death Angel (5 Filipino cousins who were all under the age of 21 when their debut album was released, drummer Andy Galeon was just 14!), Forbidden, Possessed and others. But other scenes across the country emerged: Florida became the birthplace of death metal, Seattle brought us Metal Church and Queensryche, and microscenes in states like Texas and New Orleans, as well as the strong NY scene, home of Anthrax, Overkill, Whiplash, Prong and others was prominent as well. Metal and Hard Rock dominated the charts and the airwaves. Then literally days before MTV announced their plans to launch a 24 hour metal channel, some band named Nirvana came along, and the masses were told that metal and hard rock was no longer cool.

hmmm... this ended up being a lot longer than I had anticipated... anyways I have more on this, but I will finish it another time :)

Some would suggest that Venom and Mercyful Fate are both the true pioneers of black metal as we know it now. I would have to agree.

666, recommend some Halloween oriented metal/hard rock:

http://forum.canucks.com/index.php?showtopic=255118

KING DIAMOND- Cremation

OZZY OSBOURNE- Bark At The Moon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l9RSVyLH48...F10&index=7

MEGADETH- Bad Omen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_awouQcIOo...10&index=11

TESTAMENT- The Haunting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6M9c_sL_40...10&index=23

SLAYER- Haunting The Chapel

HELLOWEEN- Halloween (duh! lol)

SUICIDAL TENDENCIES- Waking The Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdx6I1hgCzQ...43&index=43

S.O.D.- Freddy Krueger http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOVO__4_xBg

MERCYFUL FATE- Come To The Sabbath

GRAVE- Soullesshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63iCBqm4XBM&feature=PlayList&p=34E7BE5487890860&index=5

ENTOMBED- But Life Goes On http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9sbpLeWK3g...860&index=7

CANNIBAL CORPSE- Staring Through The Eyes Of The Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uarhGgXaj18

POSSESSED- The Exorcist

VENOM- Welcome To Hell

DEATH- Zombie Ritual http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBfiN849Utc...CC&index=20

XENTRIX- Ghostbusters http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IThFt0J6yGw...319&index=1

KING DIAMOND- The Family Ghost http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zr2fLDZoVY...19&index=75

SLAYER- Raining Blood

LAAZ ROCKIT- Leatherface

DARK ANGEL- Welcome To The Slaughterhouse http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEs51ukQJuc...B8&index=29

MORBID ANGEL- Chapel of Ghouls http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz80M3aVyjY

MAYHEM- Freezing Moon

DIMMU BORGIR- Spellbound

MUNICIPAL WASTE- Headbanger Face Rip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSXCogYvQlw

more to come...

Archived