The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The HEAVY METAL Thread

canucklehead666

What Genre of Metal do you listen to?  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the comments guys, were working on it but its hard to find a singer.. did anyone go to the maiden gig at the coliseum? thought it was amazing, i was right up front on the floor and caught nicko's wristband

Testament and Kreator have released new albums in the last little while. Testament's is called Dark Roots Of Earth and it is ****ing amazing. Kreator's album, Phantom Antichrist, has been on loop on my Winamp since it was released. Down's new EP will be out in September and Katatonia's new one is scheduled for release later this month.

Shred on!

I listen to Industrial Metal far more than any other type of metal but I have a likening to Symphonic, Power, Progressive, Gothic, and plain old heavy/thrash.

list off some of your favorites... I'm always looking for "new" bands to get into

list off some of your favorites... I'm always looking for "new" bands to get into

I haven't got into any "new" bands per se, but just to list some from each genre mentioned (you will notice duplicates for ones I can think of that qualify for more than a single genre):

Industrial Rock/Metal: KMFDM, Rammstein, Megaherz, G//Z/R, Fear Factory, The Kovenant, Pain, Ministry, Drown

Symphonic: Kamelot, Epica, Nightwish, Therion, Dimmu Borgir (I prefer to think of them as Symphonic than Black Metal), After Forever

Power: Kamelot, Stratovarius, Edguy, Dio

Progressive: Dream Theater, Opeth, Tool, Queensryche, Nevermore, Green Carnation (Light of Day / Blessing)

Gothic: Lacuna Coil, Tristania, Type O Negative, Xandria, Nightwish, The Kovenant, Draconian, Paradise Lost

Plain ol' heavy/thrash: Judas Priest, Metallica (Black Album and before), Megadeth, Slayer, Hirax, Kreator, Sepultura (w/Max), Flotsam & Jetsam, God Forbid, Exodus, Darkane, Testament, Lordi, Black Label Society, Machine Head

Not nearly all bands but just some examples.

I haven't got into any "new" bands per se, but just to list some from each genre mentioned (you will notice duplicates for ones I can think of that qualify for more than a single genre):

Industrial Rock/Metal: KMFDM, Rammstein, Megaherz, G//Z/R, Fear Factory, The Kovenant, Pain, Ministry, Drown

Symphonic: Kamelot, Epica, Nightwish, Therion, Dimmu Borgir (I prefer to think of them as Symphonic than Black Metal), After Forever

Power: Kamelot, Stratovarius, Edguy, Dio

Progressive: Dream Theater, Opeth, Tool, Queensryche, Nevermore, Green Carnation (Light of Day / Blessing)

Gothic: Lacuna Coil, Tristania, Type O Negative, Xandria, Nightwish, The Kovenant, Draconian, Paradise Lost

Plain ol' heavy/thrash: Judas Priest, Metallica (Black Album and before), Megadeth, Slayer, Hirax, Kreator, Sepultura (w/Max), Flotsam & Jetsam, God Forbid, Exodus, Darkane, Testament, Lordi, Black Label Society, Machine Head

Not nearly all bands but just some examples.

ever listen to VAST? VAST isn't really "metal" but it is a very eclectic style that's more like progressive.

An ex of mine was all about VAST.. a bit soft for my tastes (more akin to Porcupine Tree) but certainly not bad at all.

yeah that's why I said it isn't really "metal" (kinda falls under a "hard rock" style of progressive.)

ok Nightwish... old or new? I have friends on both sides (that only listen to the older stuff or only listen to the last 2 albums.)

yeah that's why I said it isn't really "metal" (kinda falls under a "hard rock" style of progressive.)

ok Nightwish... old or new? I have friends on both sides (that only listen to the older stuff or only listen to the last 2 albums.)

Truthfully I liked Nightwish until Tarja left.. not to be hung up on one person but she had an enormous impact on Nightwish's sound, despite how much I tend to try and ignore vocals. I still listen to Nightwish frequently but almost exclusively with Tarja's vocals and not the other lady who sings now in her place.

Truthfully I liked Nightwish until Tarja left.. not to be hung up on one person but she had an enormous impact on Nightwish's sound, despite how much I tend to try and ignore vocals. I still listen to Nightwish frequently but almost exclusively with Tarja's vocals and not the other lady who sings now in her place.

totally agree that it's a different sound without Tarja. But that's actually what I like... some days I feel more like listening to "Nemo" or "Over the Hills" while others it's a "Meadows of Heaven" or "I want my tears back" day.

since we are on the topic of "chick metal" bands (my general category for all styles of metal with a female lead singer) ever listen to these bands; (if you have, thoughts?)

Within Temptation

Elis

Angtoria

Echos of Eternity

Sirenia

Drain STH

Beautiful Sin

I left Lacuna Coil off the list since you already listed them... and I've seen them live (they are impressive to hear live!!!)

While the band is hardly "new" I have been listening a lot lately to a Swiss industrial black metal band called Samael....if you haven't heard them, I would recommend you start with the 2004 release "Reign Of Light".

Another band I'm really into from that area...Poland actually...is the blackened death metal band Behemoth...their new album is in the works and is scheduled for release mid 2013.

As far as my genre of choice...it's a veritable smorgasbord of metal...I can listen to 1349 for an album or two then switch to Testament or Overkill...then it's on to Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, Obituary, Death (RIP Chuck Schuldiner)......and then I can get just plain silly...Dismembered Fetus, Goatwhore, Gorgoroth....

Bottom line though, I lean more heavily towards Thrash...if only because I can understand a lot more of the lyrics.

Shred on!

totally agree that it's a different sound without Tarja. But that's actually what I like... some days I feel more like listening to "Nemo" or "Over the Hills" while others it's a "Meadows of Heaven" or "I want my tears back" day.

since we are on the topic of "chick metal" bands (my general category for all styles of metal with a female lead singer) ever listen to these bands; (if you have, thoughts?)

Within Temptation

Elis

Angtoria

Echos of Eternity

Sirenia

Drain STH

Beautiful Sin

I left Lacuna Coil off the list since you already listed them... and I've seen them live (they are impressive to hear live!!!)

Arch ****ing Enemy.

angela-gossow.jpg

Rest my case. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Testament and Kreator have released new albums in the last little while. Testament's is called Dark Roots Of Earth and it is ****ing amazing. Kreator's album, Phantom Antichrist, has been on loop on my Winamp since it was released. Down's new EP will be out in September and Katatonia's new one is scheduled for release later this month.

Shred on!

considered buying that Testament album, decided to listen before buying, don't think I'll get it.

Not bad, but I didn't hear anything mind blowing

Shred on!

bought the preorder for Testament's CD that came with a shirt for 23 bucks. though only 2-3 songs jumped out at me for being really good, still a pretty solid cd.

PKG001241.jpg

worth it.

considered buying that Testament album, decided to listen before buying, don't think I'll get it.

Not bad, but I didn't hear anything mind blowing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_h-9sE64G8

imo best song on the cd.

Archived