The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The HEAVY METAL Thread

canucklehead666

What Genre of Metal do you listen to?  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You know very little about Gothic metal if those are your best examples. and how is Machine Head and Judas Priest even metioned together.

Because opinions are subjective, and those aren't my "best examples", those are examples from my playlist. I looked at your Gothic metal video list you posted and they sound more like nu-metal or black metal garbage than gothic metal. Nasty stuff.

Metal band Baroness was in a very serious bus crash today. 2 people were seriously injured, although it is yet unclear if they were members of the band.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-19267414

Two people on a tour bus used by the US band Baroness were badly injured when the vehicle fell 30ft (10m) from a viaduct near Bath.

Emergency services were called to Brassknocker Hill, in Monkton Combe, on the B3108 at its junction with the A36 Warminster Road at 11:30 BST.

Two of those on board suffered multiple fractures and had to be freed by firefighters. Seven had minor injuries.

All remaining dates of the band's European tour have been cancelled.

The group played at The Fleece in Bristol on Tuesday evening and had been due to appear in Southampton later.

A spokesman for the Southampton gig promoter said: "It is with great regret that we have to inform you that Baroness were involved in a very serious road accident earlier today and will not be able to perform at Talking Heads tonight.

"Our thoughts are with the band at this time and we wish them and their crew a speedy recovery."

Tim Bailey, from The Fleece in Bristol, said: "It's awful for anybody but just knowing the band from last night and all the crew and how lovely everyone was - it was a real shock and we just really hope they're OK."

Let's hope they all recover swiftly

Because opinions are subjective, and those aren't my "best examples", those are examples from my playlist. I looked at your Gothic metal video list you posted and they sound more like nu-metal or black metal garbage than gothic metal. Nasty stuff.

nu metal? Come on man! Most of those bands have never even been to north America!

Anyway I was a little harsh and I apologize arguing what metal goes where is pretty pointless

If you wanna call it gothic than power too you dude

I do love type O negative though they are pioneers in gothic music, one could argue

depeche mode is too though lol

nu metal? Come on man! Most of those bands have never even been to north America!

Anyway I was a little harsh and I apologize arguing what metal goes where is pretty pointless

I do love type O negative though they are pioneers in gothic music, one could argue

Labels are labels, I don't really worry much about the technicalities of it nor do I see the point in arguing it, I'll let people who care excessively about that argue it. I was more responding to how condescending your tone was.

Nonetheless, I've seen Type O live, was a pretty good show. IIRC they were with Kamelot and I think Edguy.

If we're discussing gothic rock, I would have to say that if it wasn't for Joy Division, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, the Sisters of Mercy and The Cult, and to a lesser extent The Cure, there wouldn't have been any gothic rock. Depeche Mode and Type O are a continuation of it, but far from the pioneers of it.

If we're discussing gothic rock, I would have to say that if it wasn't for Joy Division, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, the Sisters of Mercy and The Cult, and to a lesser extent The Cure, there wouldn't have been any gothic rock. Depeche Mode and Type O are a continuation of it, but far from the pioneers of it.

Gary Numan? Marilyn Manson? Killing Joke? Even Sabbath / Ozzy (for keyboards alone)?

:towel::canucks:

Sisters of mercy foresure, and I say pioneers because so many followed after them. You can't say Type O negative didn't change gothic music less then joy division.

Anyway who cares

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

RIP MIKE SCACCIA

From Uncle Al..... 12/23/2012

I JUST LOST MY LIL' BROTHER AND MY BEST FRIEND - THE 13TH PLANET COMPOUND IS DEVASTATED,COMPLETELY IN SHOCK AND SHATTERED. MIKEY WAS NOT ONLY THE BEST GUITAR PLAYER IN THE HISTORY OF MUSIC, BUT HE WAS A CLOSE, CLOSE, CLOSE PART OF OUR FAMILY - AND I JUST LOST A HUGE CHUNK OF MY HEART TODAY. OUR LIVES ARE FOREVER CHANGED. LIFE WITHOUT MIKEY IS LIKE ORANGE JUICE WITHOUT PULP - KIND OF BLAND. I HAVE NO WORDS TO EXPRESS WHAT THIS GUY MEANT TO ME, MY FAMILY, MY CAREER....EVERYTHING!

GET TO KNOW HIS LEAD PARTS - FOR THEY ARE IN THE PANTHEON OF MUSIC! UNFORTUNATELY, MOST OF YOU DIDN'T GET TO KNOW MIKEY'S SOUL -WHICH IS IN THE PANTHEON OF HUMANITY. HE IS MY HERO, MY FRIEND AND MY IDOL. MIKEY WAS ALWAYS BESIDE ME - MY RIGHT HAND MAN - THROUGH THICK AND THIN, THE GOOD, THE BAD, THE UGLY AND THE BEAUTIFUL.

REST IN PEACE MY BROTHER, MY FRIEND, MY HEART. PLEASE PRAY FOR MIKE SCACCIA AND JENNY, HIS WIFE AND THEIR CHILDREN, AND HIS FAMILY.....AL

https://www.facebook.com/Ministry

Guest Gumballthechewy

I voted good ol' fashioned metal but my tastes are broad, I guess.

Black Sabbath

Anvil (Canadian metal!)

Annihilator (more Canadian metal!!)

Judas Priest

Pentagram

Saint Vitus

Rainbow

Dio

Uriah Heep (The 2nd heaviest band in the 70's in my opinion)

Sleep

White Zombie

Rage Against the Machine (can't top Morello for weird ass solos)

Iron Maiden

Diamond Head

Saxon

Motörhead

Anthrax

Solo Ozzy (specifically his stuff with Randy Rhoads (Rhoads the only reason I started playing guitar in the first place))

Turisas

The Sword (I love their first album so much)

King Diamond (Them is awesome! GRANDMA WHAT WAS IT LIIIIIIIIIKE!!!!)

I'm with ya Gumball, I pretty much like 'em all (except for most death metal bands) but these are a few of my favourites:

Pantera

Gwar

Slayer

Fear Factory

RATM

Alice In Chains

Butthole Surfers (pretty much covers every genre in music)

Godsmack

Coal Chamber

Corrosion of Conformity

Deftones

Sepultura/Soulfly

• 3 weeks later...

Metalheads unite!

Well I'm late to this thread, but it's nice to see other metal fans on the boards.

I like pretty much most of the genres in the wide spectrum of metal, from progressive/ tech stuff like Dream Theater and Protest the Hero to extreme bands (death, thrash, black, etc) such as Behemoth, Septic Flesh, Kreator, to power metal acts like Edguy or Stratovarius. I also like symphonic, progressive (my favorite genre), traditional metal heavy metal, and tons of others. If you name a band, odds are I probably have heard of them!

Looked for more Djent bands. Not many are beyond the guitar-alone stage. Where are all the frontmen?

The Human Abstract play a similar genre. Their last album Digital Veil was spectacular.

Archived