The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The HEAVY METAL Thread

canucklehead666

What Genre of Metal do you listen to?  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Clockwork Angels is the bomb! I love 80's Rush, too. I was 14 when "Moving Pictures" came out. Good times!

I have to go with Van Halen's "A Different Kind Of Truth", though. Solid from start to finish. Some of Eddie's best playing ever. I don't care what anyone says... "Tattoo" is a cool song.

I never really LOVED VH, I just liked them (nothing against Eddie.) I should I say, they are the type of band (for me) that I won't just purchase an album of theirs just because it's VH... I only own the first album, DD, Women and Children.., F.U.C.K. and Balance. Meanwhile, I've purchased every Rush album from Counterparts to Clockwork the day it came out.

I think I also moved more away from VH due to Chickenfoot (LOVE their overall sound!)

Absolutely, Zamboni! I love "Screaming For Vengeance", too.

that would be my album pick for JP after British Steel. I remember getting it on cassette and just being amazed with Rob's vocals. I actually had that album before British.. it was one of my "gateway" albums that got me into metal (others being Master of Puppets, Hanger 18, State of Euphoria.)

but one question has always been on my mind that nobody has been able to answer.. how on earth did we NOT see Rob "coming out" a million miles away!? And I think it's great that none of the fans really cared when it was announced... "eh... he's still a metal god"

Yeah, right after Moving Pictures I stopped buying albums, I've never been a fan of that 80's "keyboard" sound.

Counterparts was a welcome return. Angles is my favourite of their new stuff.

that's the thing I love with Rush... different styles for different times and different moods. I'll freely admit that there are days when I need to crank Power Windows, Grace Under Pressure, etc. but then there are "2112" days as well. One album that REALLY grew on me over time is Vapor Trails. When I first bought it, it was at the bottom of the "newer" albums list (counterparts thru today) but now I probably listen to that album more than any other (besides Clockwork.)

that would be my album pick for JP after British Steel. I remember getting it on cassette and just being amazed with Rob's vocals. I actually had that album before British.. it was one of my "gateway" albums that got me into metal (others being Master of Puppets, Hanger 18, State of Euphoria.)

but one question has always been on my mind that nobody has been able to answer.. how on earth did we NOT see Rob "coming out" a million miles away!? And I think it's great that none of the fans really cared when it was announced... "eh... he's still a metal god"

I agree, Zamboni. Who cares if Rob Halford is gay? The guy has some of the best pipes in Metal history, right? Who cares who he sleeps with? I had no clue he was gay and when I found out, it was a "meh" moment, for me.

that's the thing I love with Rush... different styles for different times and different moods. I'll freely admit that there are days when I need to crank Power Windows, Grace Under Pressure, etc. but then there are "2112" days as well. One album that REALLY grew on me over time is Vapor Trails. When I first bought it, it was at the bottom of the "newer" albums list (counterparts thru today) but now I probably listen to that album more than any other (besides Clockwork.)

I'm the same way, dude. I love Rush and I "rush" out to buy their new album on release day, too! I own every album on vinyl up to "Presto" and I have all of the others on disc. I love their musicianship and diversity and, as a bass player, I totally appreciate the virtuosity of all 3 members.

Weird... "Witch Hunt", my favorite tune off of "Moving Pictures", just came on my iTunes! :blink:

Guest Gumballthechewy

I literally crapped my pants when my uncle made me listen to 2112 for the first time, my favourite Rush song. Is it just me or does anyone else think they should have extended 2112 by 39 seconds...

:bigblush:

Yeah, Vapor Trails had similar effect on me as well.

Actually, I don't know if it's because I'm a little older or what but I've been listining to a few of Rush's 80's albums (Power Windows, Signals, ect.) and its not as bad as I remember them being... :P

I literally crapped my pants when my uncle made me listen to 2112 for the first time, my favourite Rush song. Yeah, Vapor Trails had similar effect on me as well.

Actually, I don't know if it's because I'm a little older or what but I've been listining to a few of Rush's 80's albums (Power Windows, Signals, ect.) and its not as bad as I remember them being... :P

Give "Signals" a spin, 'Chewy! You won't regret it!

Guest Gumballthechewy

Give "Signals" a spin, 'Chewy! You won't regret it!

I was picking up my girlfriend from work today and I was playing some Rush and she said it reminded her of Coheed and Cambria, I've heard about them but never heard any of their music, are they any good?

No argument there, Tom!

You'll probably not agree with this, but, I'd put Sammy Hagar right after Halford and Dickinson!

Sammy is a great hard rock lead singer IMO. He's like Brian Johnson or Bon Scott in that way. But I don't really consider him "metal"

I literally crapped my pants when my uncle made me listen to 2112 for the first time, my favourite Rush song. Is it just me or does anyone else think they should have extended 2112 by 39 seconds...

:bigblush:

Yeah, Vapor Trails had similar effect on me as well.

totally agree about the 80s albums... that's how I get into the "mood" for them. When I load up my iPod and I see those albums on my computer.. I usually think; "hmmmm, been a while since I listened to that" and then I'm suddenly rocking out to "Kid Gloves" or "Between the Wheels"

speaking of 2112.. when it was announced that Rush would be in the RRHoF, I said they should play that at the end with all of the other bands. Imagine Chuck D (from Public Enemy) doing the "Attention all planets of the solar federation..." part.

oh... and did you ever notice the clock on Clockwork Angels? What time is on it?

I was picking up my girlfriend from work today and I was playing some Rush and she said it reminded her of Coheed and Cambria, I've heard about them but never heard any of their music, are they any good?

I've never really listened to them either (well not a LOT at least.) They are on my list of bands I know I should check out sooner rather than later.

Guest Gumballthechewy

speaking of 2112.. when it was announced that Rush would be in the RRHoF, I said they should play that at the end with all of the other bands. Imagine Chuck D (from Public Enemy) doing the "Attention all planets of the solar federation..." part.

Ha ha! That would have been great! :P

oh... and did you ever notice the clock on Clockwork Angels? What time is on it?

Ten pass nine?

I've never really listened to them either (well not a LOT at least.) They are on my list of bands I know I should check out sooner rather than later.

I've been looking them up, I hear a lot of good things... Now I have to check them out!

Ten pass nine?

I've been looking them up, I hear a lot of good things... Now I have to check them out!

you are close... 9:12... the minute hand is past the "10" mark. So now change that to a 24 hour clock (midnight being 24:00) and what do you have?

21:12

Guest Gumballthechewy

you are close... 9:12... the minute hand is past the "10" mark. So now change that to a 24 hour clock (midnight being 24:00) and what do you have?

21:12

Ha ha! I never would have guessed! That's hilarious! ::D

They're OK. Their singer has a Geddy-like voice. For me, that's where the comparison ends.

Surprised to see Coheed and Cambria mentioned in a metal thread. Unless they've changed styles lately, they're much, much more pop-prog-rock band, with really nerdy lyrics

TBH, I loved their "in keeping secrets of the silent earth" album way back when it first came out, and would strongly recommend it to someone who likes prog rock. but be warned, it's very much a product of its time, when pop punk was popular.

Their first album was pretty good too. Had this song on it, which is a total gem, if you stick with it:

Guest Gumballthechewy

I've listened to a few of their songs, they're not death metal but they're kinda heavy-ish proggy, I kinda like some of their material, I don't think I'll be buying any albums though, too hit and miss.

My iTunes just threw on some Pentagram! Now there's some good old fashioned metal!

Archived