The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The HEAVY METAL Thread

canucklehead666

What Genre of Metal do you listen to?  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

glass hit on something that I think metal fans in general are REALLY having a hard time with. Before, either it was "metal" or it wasn't. Now the lines have become so gray, it's almost impossible to tell what is metal and what isn't. Just like how I said that I didn't think Sammy was really a metal frontman, to another person... he is.

So by using popular hard rock/metal bands... where do you draw the line that shows where "hard rock" ends and metal begins? And I don't mean using the bands like Slayer, Sepultura, Metallica, etc. as example of metal (obviously those are metal bands.)

For me, bands like AC/DC, VH, Aerosmith, Tesla and Def Leppard are examples of "hard rock." While bands like Skid Row and Dream Theater are just beyond the line. For me, when a band has a heavy blues sound and is more about "power" rather then speed/volume... that's a "hard rock" band.

glass hit on something that I think metal fans in general are REALLY having a hard time with. Before, either it was "metal" or it wasn't. Now the lines have become so gray, it's almost impossible to tell what is metal and what isn't. Just like how I said that I didn't think Sammy was really a metal frontman, to another person... he is.

So by using popular hard rock/metal bands... where do you draw the line that shows where "hard rock" ends and metal begins? And I don't mean using the bands like Slayer, Sepultura, Metallica, etc. as example of metal (obviously those are metal bands.)

For me, bands like AC/DC, VH, Aerosmith, Tesla and Def Leppard are examples of "hard rock." While bands like Skid Row and Dream Theater are just beyond the line. For me, when a band has a heavy blues sound and is more about "power" rather then speed/volume... that's a "hard rock" band.

I totally hear ya, Zamboni. Myself, I try not to categorize bands or acts. It's all Rock 'N' Roll, to me. Indie, Alt, Prog, all the kinds of metal, Pop, who cares, really. Why pigeon-hole artists? Art is art.

Crunchy guitars and powerful vocals are "metally", IMO. Even a band like Heart with "Barracuda" has crunchy axes and the Wilson Sister's powerful vox... metally riff. Coheed's song "Coming Home" has a chugga-chugga riff and, for sure, has some metal elements even though most people consider them "Prog".

Diversity is awesome! And so are these debates, guys!

::D

Speaking of blury lines, does anyone here listen to Uriah Heep?

I do, indeed, 'Chewy. I have 2 albums from 1972 on vinyl... "Demons and Wizards" and "The Magician's Birthday". Sweet, rocka rolla at its best! Awesome cover art on both, too! I also have 1973's "Sweet Freedom".

Guest Gumballthechewy

I do, indeed, 'Chewy. I have 2 albums from 1972 on vinyl... "Demons and Wizards" and "The Magician's Birthday". Sweet, rocka rolla at its best! Awesome cover art on both, too! I also have 1973's "Sweet Freedom".

Nice! I only own one vinyl myself, Ozzy's live album Tribute, RR is my guitar idol.

I found out about them through iTunes (after buying a couple Rainbow albums it suggest Uriah Heep) and I downloaded thier first two albums, Gypsy and Bird of Prey are absolute gems, after that I just needed more so I bought the next four albums. Look At Yourself is a pretty awesome album.

I totally hear ya, Zamboni. Myself, I try not to categorize bands or acts. It's all Rock 'N' Roll, to me. Indie, Alt, Prog, all the kinds of metal, Pop, who cares, really. Why pigeon-hole artists? Art is art.

Crunchy guitars and powerful vocals are "metally", IMO. Even a band like Heart with "Barracuda" has crunchy axes and the Wilson Sister's powerful vox... metally riff. Coheed's song "Coming Home" has a chugga-chugga riff and, for sure, has some metal elements even though most people consider them "Prog".

Diversity is awesome! And so are these debates, guys!

::D

agree that diversity is great! Even beyond metal bands, I have a very eclectic taste in music and I think because of that, it allows me to be open minded about other styles down the road. Had it not been for Rush, I wouldn't have been open to bands like Dream Theater. Had it not been for Heart, I wouldn't have been open to Nightwish. etc.

what actually would annoy me, is when people completely shun the "GLAM" bands for being "cookie cutter" but totally embrace the "alternative rock" movement (which was just as mass produced.) Many times you find people who started off with Poison or Trixter (wonder who remembers that band) and that opened their world... only to then say how they never liked bands like that.

Guest Gumballthechewy

agree that diversity is great! Even beyond metal bands, I have a very eclectic taste in music and I think because of that, it allows me to be open minded about other styles down the road. Had it not been for Rush, I wouldn't have been open to bands like Dream Theater. Had it not been for Heart, I wouldn't have been open to Nightwish. etc.

I'm similar, very broad taste in music in general. I just listen to what sounds good to me and that ranges from the Beatles to Swollen Members, from Iron Maiden to Pink Floyd, hell I even have a few LMFAO songs on my iPod, I don't care I don't mind a few if their songs.

But Metal is my mistress. My sweet, sweet topless mistress....

I'm similar, very broad taste in music in general. I just listen to what sounds good to me and that ranges from the Beatles to Swollen Members, from Iron Maiden to Pink Floyd, hell I even have a few LMFAO songs on my iPod, I don't care I don't mind a few if their songs.

But Metal is my mistress. My sweet, sweet topless mistress....

... with thigh high black boots, a bustier and a whip :P

Guest Gumballthechewy

:lol:

let's talk metal women... what type looks better? The "goth" chick with the boots, skirt, dark makeup, etc. or the "glam" chick with the mall bangs, leather skirts, etc.

Goths hands down, but only because the only other option was 80's glam chicks! I'm not a big fan of 80's looks or fashion, and I use the term fashion very loosely! :P

That and goth chicks are easy.

I was just looking up some metal chicks pictures and I found this link it's hilarious!

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/HowTo:Attract_Metal_Chicks

:lol:

let's talk metal women... what type looks better? The "goth" chick with the boots, skirt, dark makeup, etc. or the "glam" chick with the mall bangs, leather skirts, etc.

80's girls! Long hair... Tight Jeans... Tight tops... Boots with tassels... Jean Jackets... Mmmmm... 80's girls...

The Wilson sisters? Orianthi? Doro Pesch? Courtney Love? Wendy O' Williams? Lita Ford? Joan Jett? Pat Benatar? Girlschool? Heart? Lacey Sturm? Lee Aaron? Holly Woods? Hayley Williams? Darby Mills? Janet Gardner? Amy Lee? Lzzy Hale? Cristina Scabbia? Suzi Quatro? Tarja Turunen? Bif Naked?

More?

80's girls! Long hair... Tight Jeans... Tight tops... Boots with tassels... Jean Jackets... Mmmmm... 80's girls...

The Wilson sisters? Orianthi? Doro Pesch? Courtney Love? Wendy O' Williams? Lita Ford? Joan Jett? Pat Benatar? Girlschool? Heart? Lacey Sturm? Lee Aaron? Holly Woods? Hayley Williams? Darby Mills? Janet Gardner? Amy Lee? Lzzy Hale? Cristina Scabbia? Suzi Quatro? Tarja Turunen? Bif Naked?

More?

please remove Courtney Love from that list. I NEVER found her attractive.

for a minute there, I thought you were going to just quote "Girls, Girls, Girls" on your response.

I dunno... sure the 80s girls were more "done up" but they were usually so darn snobby that it was annoying. But then on the flip side, some of the "goth" style girls won't look your way because you aren't "dark" enough... so call it the opposite of the 80s girls. I guess I'd have to lean to the goth type girls only because you KNOW they are more wild in the sack.

Guest Gumballthechewy

for a minute there, I thought you were going to just quote "Girls, Girls, Girls" on your response.

Damn you Hugemanskost! You missed your golden opportunity! :P

I guess I'd have to lean to the goth type girls only because you KNOW they are more wild in the sack.

I knew this one goth chick, I didn't even know that much metal could fit... "down there".....

... with thigh high black boots, a bustier and a whip :P

i think it's funny when i put my ipod on shuffle and it goes from Leonard Cohen to Marilyn Manson, Lamb of God to Snoop Dogg. or Cradle of Filth to Hank Williams. it's too bad when people limit themselves to certain categories and genres. they have no idea what their missing out on.

Guest Gumballthechewy

i think it's funny when i put my ipod on shuffle and it goes from Leonard Cohen to Marilyn Manson, Lamb of God to Snoop Dogg. or Cradle of Filth to Hank Williams. it's too bad when people limit themselves to certain categories and genres. they have no idea what their missing out on.

Yeah, so true.

The other day I was listing to my iPod on shuffle and I swear to god it went:

Free As the Wind - Anvil

Love Me Do - Beatles

South of Heaven - Slayer

Appetite for Destruction - N.W.A.

Forever My Queen - Pentagram

Toccata and Fugue - J.S. Bach

Good Old Hockey Game - Stompin' Tom

Believer - Ozzy

Concerto - Swollen Members

Just a mishmash of genres! :P

But hey, back to METAL!!!!!

Has anyone hear of these two great Canadian metal acts?:

Anvil

Annihilator

Everyone at this point has probably heard of Anvil but has anyone listened to any of their albums other than Metal On Metal?

Yeah, so true.

The other day I was listing to my iPod on shuffle and I swear to god it went:

Free As the Wind - Anvil

Love Me Do - Beatles

South of Heaven - Slayer

Appetite for Destruction - N.W.A.

Forever My Queen - Pentagram

Toccata and Fugue - J.S. Bach

Good Old Hockey Game - Stompin' Tom

Believer - Ozzy

Concerto - Swollen Members

Just a mishmash of genres! :P

But hey, back to METAL!!!!!

Has anyone hear of these two great Canadian metal acts?:

Anvil

Annihilator

Everyone at this point has probably heard of Anvil but has anyone listened to any of their albums other than Metal On Metal?

hear of both bands, listened to some of Anvil (obviously because of the "story of Anvil") and it just wasn't my cup o tea (I'm weird like that.. some bands I just don't like for any reason... System of a Down is one of them.) Never actually listened to Annihilator (only heard of them from a mention on TMS.)

I have that happen all the time. Best "mix" was when my wife and I drove from Minnesota to Wyoming.. Megadeth to Toby Keith to Seal to Crosby, Stills, Nash to Billy Joel to Bobby Bare to Sepultura to Dean Martin to Danzig

I have that happen all the time. Best "mix" was when my wife and I drove from Minnesota to Wyoming.. Megadeth to Toby Keith to Seal to Crosby, Stills, Nash to Billy Joel to Bobby Bare to Sepultura to Dean Martin to Danzig

This sounds like my iPod, Zamboni! I just topped 9 000 songs of all genres, except opera.

Archived