The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The HEAVY METAL Thread

canucklehead666

What Genre of Metal do you listen to?  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ha ha! This guys looks crack me up! He looks like William Murderface. DETHKLOK!!!!!!

I bought their first four albums from iTunes today, so far this is one if my favourite of their songs!

The fact that you did that made my day LOL

They are one of my fav hwy driving music bands.

something is "off" for me.. vocals don't seem to really match up with the rest of the band (overall tone and sound of the vocals.) The raspy sound really doesn't work in his voice. Sounds kinda "forced" for the sake of sounding like the middle between raspy and actual singing. Does he always sing like that?

That is why I like them its like the shoe doesn't quite fit, plus they are swedish so the lyrics are strange.

The new stuff is pretty hard to explain its not really metal but is weird if you like something different

Guest Gumballthechewy

actually here's one that I listen to before hockey games (when I am driving to my own games.) Yes I know it's not metal.. but still an epic song (and good example of how classical and opera are the "early" forms of metal)

Dude, screw Sabbath, Carl Orff gave birth to Metal!

I love classical music, it's quite dark most of it, like O Fortuna and also Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 14 (the first movement), Swan Lake (Yeah yeah, ballet is not very metal but this song is haunting as all hell.) and Toccata and Fugue (best piece of classical music ever composed in my opinion, literally the heavy metal of the 18th century).

Sorry for the brief lapse of non metal but just think! without this music metal would never have existed in the first place! Respect thy elders, or I'll break thy legs!

chewy... did you watch the VH1 Classic mini-series on the evolution of metal? It was done by the same guy that did the Rush doc., I think his name is Sam Dunn. He does a great job of showing how metal's roots are tied directly to classical music.

Guest Gumballthechewy

chewy... did you watch the VH1 Classic mini-series on the evolution of metal? It was done by the same guy that did the Rush doc., I think his name is Sam Dunn. He does a great job of showing how metal's roots are tied directly to classical music.

No, it sounds cool though, I'll have to check it out.

No, it sounds cool though, I'll have to check it out.

it's probably the best look at how metal came to be along with many of the major sub-genres. And the best part is that he dug up a few things that I doubt people picked up on. I also suggest watching That Metal Show on VH1 Classic as well (if you haven't seen that yet either.)

ok new topic... best metal/hard rock band NOT in the rock and roll hall of fame? I'd have to go Deep Purple (off the top of my head)

Guest Gumballthechewy

Deep Purple isn't!? Jut shows how much of a joke the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is... <_<

But I'd have to say either Deep Purple or Uriah Heep.

Deep Purple isn't!? Jut shows how much of a joke the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is... <_<

But I'd have to say either Deep Purple or Uriah Heep.

yeah it's shocking to see the list of bands that aren't in STILL...

-Kiss (say what you will about them, but they should be in)

-Steppenwolf

-Steve Miller Band

-MC5

-Yes

-Moody Blues

-Chicago

-Judas Priest

-Motorhead

-Thin Lizzy

-Iron Maiden

-Steve Ray Vaughen

again, these were just off the top of my head, there is a TON of others that should be in already.

Guest Gumballthechewy

yeah it's shocking to see the list of bands that aren't in STILL...

-Kiss (say what you will about them, but they should be in)

-Steppenwolf

-Steve Miller Band

-MC5

-Yes

-Moody Blues

-Chicago

-Judas Priest

-Motorhead

-Thin Lizzy

-Iron Maiden

-Steve Ray Vaughen

again, these were just off the top of my head, there is a TON of others that should be in already.

All those bands are awesome!

Love every band on that list.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, so i've been wanting to get some new music in my collection.. here are some bands i really like..

Maiden

Priest

(older) Metallica

Nightwish

Prong

Slayer

Corrosion of Conformity

Dragonforce

Faith no More

Iced Earth

Fight

so.. all you metal heads on CDC.. recommend me some similar stuff that I can check out

Guest Gumballthechewy

never heard of either of them.. gonna check em out tonight.. thanks

The Sword is more stoner metal but they rock pretty hard, Turisas has quite a unique sound, they use a lot if brass instruments and also a violen and an accordion, but they too also rock hard.

These are a few songs from the two of them:

First time I've come across this thread which is cool because I rarley discuss about the music I listen to. Here's some of the bands I listen to:

Metallica

Megadeth

Iron Maiden

Tool

Children of Bodom

In Flames

Opeth

Dream Theater

Symphony X

Blind Guardian

Iced Earth

Nightwish

Mastodon

Katatonia

Between the Buried and Me

Dimmu Borgir

Cradle of Filth

Chthonic

Anthelion

Also notice someone mentioned about the Metal Evolution series on VH1. Not sure if anyone knows but the same director, Sam Dunn, also did 2 documentaries about heavy metal's impact on culture (I think he has a PhD in Anthropoogy) called Metal: A Headbanger's Journey and Global Metal. Definitely worth checking out.

ok, so i've been wanting to get some new music in my collection.. here are some bands i really like..

Maiden

Priest

(older) Metallica

Nightwish

Prong

Slayer

Corrosion of Conformity

Dragonforce

Faith no More

Iced Earth

Fight

so.. all you metal heads on CDC.. recommend me some similar stuff that I can check out

Megadeth

Flaw

Fear Factory (older)

American Head Charge (only their first album)

Katatonia

Sirinia (be selective on which albums you buy, they've had a few different singers... some good... some not so good.)

Thin Lizzy (seriously, listen to more than just "Jailbreak" and "Boys Are Back...")

Archived