The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The HEAVY METAL Thread

canucklehead666

What Genre of Metal do you listen to?  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Gumballthechewy

Some other of their most recognizable tunes are "18 and life" "I remember you" "Wasted Time" "Quicksand Jesus" "Slave to the Grind".

if you've never heard them, listen to the album "Slave to the Grind." It's less "commercial" than the first album and has more of an edge to their sound (not to mention a great line that people forgot; "you can't be king of the world if your a slave to the grind."

Ok, I've heard 18 To Life but that's it, it's no wonder I didn't recognise the name.

I gave a few songs off Slave to the Grind a listen, definitely gonna buy it now.

(not to mention a great line that people forgot; "you can't be king of the world if your a slave to the grind."

That song and more importantly that line gave me the push I needed to quit my job and go into business for myself. Haven't had a real job in 15 years now.

"I won´t be the one left behind

You can´t be king of the world

If you´re slave to the grind"

Thanks Skid Row much obliged.

I posted this in the 80's metal thread. Thought it might fit here, too.

I love 80's Hair Metal, Dudeness! I grew up in the 80's and I enjoy most of the music of the era. I used to DJ. So much great stuff out there, not just metal. Van Halen... The Police... Pink Floyd... Michael Jackson... Chili Peppers... Rush... Genesis / Phil Collins / Peter Gabriel... REM... Yes... Journey... ACDC... U2... G'n'R... ZZ Top... INXS... The Fixx... Styx... Foreigner... The Cars... B-52's... Depeche Mode... Simple Minds... The Cure... Eurythmics... Heart... Duran Duran... Tears For Fears... Frankie Goes To Hollywood... Pet Shop Boys... Smiths.

Then, the metal... Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth, Priest, Maiden, Ozzy, Sabbath, Dio, Motorhead, Malmsteen, Accept, Scorpions, Aerosmith, Dokken, DLR Band, Mr. Big, Alice Cooper, Kingdom Come, Poison, Black 'n Blue, The Cruë, Whitesnake, Def Leppard, Twisted Sister, Extreme, Kiss, Ratt, Queensryche, Helix, Lita Ford, Quiet Riot, Kix, Pretty Boy Floyd, Y&T, Blue Murder, Tesla, Loudness, Skid Row, Zebra, Autograph, Faster Pussycat, Bon Jovi, White Lion, Bulletboys, Stryper, Cinderella, W.A.S.P., Saigon Kick, Slaughter, Great White, Warrant, Night Ranger, LA Guns, Europe, Winger... just off the top of my head!

Sweetest time growing up with all of this great music! Time to go pick up my guitar!

Edit: Was just thinking about some great "Canadiana" from the time period, too... Loverboy, Chilliwack, April Wine, Triumph, Streetheart, Red Rider, Kim Mitchell / Max Webster, Jeff Healey, Coney Hatch, Gowan, Bryan Adams, Barney Bentall, Skinny Puppy, The Odds, The Kings, Rough Trade, Doucette, Powder Blues, Doug and the Slugs, Saga, The Pusuit Of Happiness, Honeymoon Suite, Platinum Blonde, Trooper, Prism, 54-40, Aldo Nova, Northern Pikes, Blue Rodeo, Toronto, The Hip, Men Without Hats, Images In Vogue, Frozen Ghost, Glass Tiger, Cory Hart, Strange Advance, Grapes Of Wrath, Zappacosta, Haywire!, Payolas, Harlequin, Headpins, Sarah McLachlan, Sass Jordan, The Box, Allanah Myles, Jane Siberry, Anvil, Voivod, Killer Dwarfs, Kick Axe, Brighton Rock.

Edit 2: Forgot about The Cult! Just listening to my iPod and Sanctuary came on! Sweet tune!

Guest Gumballthechewy

Your broad taste in music is awesome! I have at least one song from 90% of those bands you mentioned!

Except the Canadian ones, the only bands under that list I recognise are Loverboy (I didn't even know they were Canadian), Men Without Hats and Anvil... :S

Anyone else here highly jealous of the metal festivals they have in Europe compared to North America?

So many decent bands want to play there for huge festivals, rather than here. It's been quite disappointing over the last 10 years to see the discrepancy become larger and larger.

There were points when tours/festivals like Ozzfest were decent. Now I find myself awaiting the Monster and Jagermeister lineup/location announcement for what will likely be 90% of bands I don't give two craps about.

Anyone else here highly jealous of the metal festivals they have in Europe compared to North America?

So many decent bands want to play there for huge festivals, rather than here. It's been quite disappointing over the last 10 years to see the discrepancy become larger and larger.

There were points when tours/festivals like Ozzfest were decent. Now I find myself awaiting the Monster and Jagermeister lineup/location announcement for what will likely be 90% of bands I don't give two craps about.

Totally, zaibatsu!

I have a subscription to "Classic Rock" magazine from the UK and I drool at all of the ads for festivals and big gigs / tours that they get over there. Just got my March 2013 issue on Friday. Here's what I'm drooling over right now...

Download Festival (June 14-16) - Maiden, Rammstein, Motorhead, Slipknot, Alice In Chains, Queens of the Stone Age, more.

Bloodstock (August 8-11) - Slayer, Anthrax, King Diamond, more.

Hard Rock Hell (April 6-7) - Tesla, Skid Row, Winger, FM, Hawkwind, Arthur Brown, more.

Hammerfest (March 14-17) - Killing Joke, Candlemass, Napalm Death, more.

Isle Of Wight (Jun 13-16) - Bon Jovi, Stone Roses, more.

Journey, Whitesnake, Thunder UK Tour (May 2013)

Tons of other great tours too numerous to type.

Between music and Football, I sometimes wish I lived in the UK!

Totally, zaibatsu!

I have a subscription to "Classic Rock" magazine from the UK and I drool at all of the ads for festivals and big gigs / tours that they get over there. Just got my March 2013 issue on Friday. Here's what I'm drooling over right now...

Download Festival (June 14-16) - Maiden, Rammstein, Motorhead, Slipknot, Alice In Chains, Queens of the Stone Age, more.

Bloodstock (August 8-11) - Slayer, Anthrax, King Diamond, more.

Hard Rock Hell (April 6-7) - Tesla, Skid Row, Winger, FM, Hawkwind, Arthur Brown, more.

Hammerfest (March 14-17) - Killing Joke, Candlemass, Napalm Death, more.

Isle Of Wight (Jun 13-16) - Bon Jovi, Stone Roses, more.

Journey, Whitesnake, Thunder UK Tour (May 2013)

Tons of other great tours too numerous to type.

Between music and Football, I sometimes wish I lived in the UK!

I was listening to an interview with Dave Mustaine where they asked him about the difference between US music festivals and those done in Europe, and I think he hit the nail on the head. Basically he said how broad most of the EU taste is when it comes to hard rock and heavy metal while the US is much more focused and direct, not wanting to venture too far off in one direction or the other.

His festival (Gigantor) had Dream Theater, Megadeth and many other different types of bands on the bill.. which wouldn't "fly" in the US because people would complain about DT being on the list and ask; "why didn't they get _____ to play instead?"

Your broad taste in music is awesome! I have at least one song from 90% of those bands you mentioned!

Except the Canadian ones, the only bands under that list I recognise are Loverboy (I didn't even know they were Canadian), Men Without Hats and Anvil... :S

You gotta check out the Canadian bands, Chewy! You are missing a lot of great music if you don't!

Next time you're in Dawson Creek, come to my place and we can jam, have many pops and listen to some 80's tunes on vinyl. I'm not even kidding, dude!

Guest Gumballthechewy

You gotta check out the Canadian bands, Chewy! You are missing a lot of great music if you don't!

Next time you're in Dawson Creek, come to my place and we can jam, have many pops and listen to some 80's tunes on vinyl. I'm not even kidding, dude!

That's funny because I've been thinking about driving up to the Beaufort Sea, going through Dawson Creek, and coming back through Alaska or so.

Hey guys, I recently made that 80s hair metal thread that you may have already seen, but if not, I'm trying to raise awareness of a scene and genre that is far from dead.

Bands like Motley Crue and Guns N' Roses, while still around, are shells of their former selves, but in places like Scandinavia that raunchy rock n' roll sound is still extremely alive. Hell, Europe as a whole is fairly behind the times with current music trends, and for me, that's a good thing.

If you haven't heard of them yet, I strongly suggest checking out the following groups which I can almost guarantee you'll enjoy if you like bands like Guns N' Roses, Crue, LA Guns, Skid Row, Ratt, Faster Pussycat etc. etc.

-Crazy Lixx

-Crashdiet

-Gemini Five

-Santa Cruz

-Babylon Bombs

-and many many more

My friends know that listening to this type of music is a major passion of mine. (It's probably only second to playing/watching hockey). As a hobby I created a facebook page yesterday to help spread the word about some of the bands that people in Canada never know of unless they take time to scour youtube and other internet resources. Mainstream music media may have forgotten about this fun time in music history, but it is alive and well in a lot of places around the world.

Here's my page: https://www.facebook.com/SleazeFactory

Much like CDC, it's an online community meant for outside participation. It's time to spread the word about FUN rock n' roll music!

Guest Gumballthechewy

PM me if you do head north, dude. It would be fun! Dawson Creek is Mile 0 of the Alaska Highway.

Totally! And thanks for the offer too, that's really awesome of you.

I was listening to an interview with Dave Mustaine where they asked him about the difference between US music festivals and those done in Europe, and I think he hit the nail on the head. Basically he said how broad most of the EU taste is when it comes to hard rock and heavy metal while the US is much more focused and direct, not wanting to venture too far off in one direction or the other.

His festival (Gigantor) had Dream Theater, Megadeth and many other different types of bands on the bill.. which wouldn't "fly" in the US because people would complain about DT being on the list and ask; "why didn't they get _____ to play instead?"

I really don't understand this..

I mean there's enough festivals showcasing the same crappy nu-metal/screaming whiny emo metal/cookie monster metal in the US and Canada, I don't follow where the belief comes from that the Gigantour's cited lineup would get complaints? I believe it would have plenty of support. I mean hell, the KMFDM show I'm going to next month is sold out, and few people even know of them nor like Industrial Metal. Something is awry.

I really don't understand this..

I mean there's enough festivals showcasing the same crappy nu-metal/screaming whiny emo metal/cookie monster metal in the US and Canada, I don't follow where the belief comes from that the Gigantour's cited lineup would get complaints? I believe it would have plenty of support. I mean hell, the KMFDM show I'm going to next month is sold out, and few people even know of them nor like Industrial Metal. Something is awry.

it's more the perception than the reality and the fear of actually trying it here (has it really been tried here?) Look at your post in the 80s metal thread and the remark above about nu-metal. Sure there are people that would gladly pay to see Cinderella, Skid Row, Extreme, Megadeth, Fear Factory, Linkin Park, Leaves' Eyes, etc. But is there enough support for a festival like that to sell enough tickets to make it worth it?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived