The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The HEAVY METAL Thread

canucklehead666

What Genre of Metal do you listen to?  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I sure ****ing hope so!!!

well correct me if I am wrong.. but aren't they the #1 selling Brazilian artists of all time? Hard to ignore your "top seller" if you are going to have music, even if they aren't well known beyond metal fans.

but we might have to settle for Soulfly (as "lof" pointed out.)

bought the preorder for Testament's CD that came with a shirt for 23 bucks. though only 2-3 songs jumped out at me for being really good, still a pretty solid cd.

PKG001241.jpg

worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_h-9sE64G8

imo best song on the cd.

The fire, the anger, the passion...in a song like "Native Blood" (fitting because Chuck is of the Pomo Native Americans) makes that song, for me at least, the best on the album. "Rise Up" is a damn good album opener as well, "True American Hate" is surprisingly very good, and how can anyone not like "Man Kills Mankind"...in contrast, while I found "Throne of Thorns" very hard-hitting, "Cold Embrace" and the title track "Dark Roots of Earth" were admittedly a bit lacking....but an all around solid album, and if not worth a purchase, definitely worth a download. Testament was one of those bands that I didn't like much at first, but kind of grew on me...much the opposite of Dave "Juan Valdez" Mustaine and Megadeth.

yea, took me a while to get into Testament, but More Than Meets the Eye and True Believer got me listening to their stuff.

as for Megadeth, I find I'm getting back into them. one of those bands where I listened to them so much that took a break, and now re-realizing just how good they are. I feel like I'll be doing that again with W.A.S.P. pretty soon

yea, took me a while to get into Testament, but More Than Meets the Eye and True Believer got me listening to their stuff.

as for Megadeth, I find I'm getting back into them. one of those bands where I listened to them so much that took a break, and now re-realizing just how good they are. I feel like I'll be doing that again with W.A.S.P. pretty soon

Just not a Mustaine fan anymore...his commercial turn soured me, and I can't stand a self-righteous born-again who peddles coffee. ;) lol

As for Testament...I was not much of a fan during the whole "gothic" period they went through...but once they developed the sound they have currently, I grew to really like them, and above all respect the stance that Chuck represents himself with.

Queensryche split with Tate

queensryche.jpg

Queensryche have split with singer Geoff Tate, and will continue with Todd La Torre in his place, the band have confirmed.

Speculation had been strong in recent weeks that a parting of the ways was on the cards, with the rest of the band revealing they’d formed a splinter group called Rising West featuring Crimson Glory frontman La Torre at the mic.

Drummer Scott Rockenfield says in a statement: “Over the past few months there have been growing creative differences within Queensryche. We want our fans to know that we hoped to find a common resolution, but in the end parting ways with Geoff was the best way for everyone to move forward in a positive direction.

“We wish him the best of luck with all of his future endeavours. We can’t wait to bring Queensryche to our fans with Todd behind the microphone.”

The band have put all scheduled performances on hold and say updated schedule information will be announced in due course.

Rockenfield, along with bandmates Michael Wilton, Eddie Jacskon and Parker Lundgren, played two shows under the Rising West name in their home town of Seattle earlier this month. They complained they weren’t being given access to Queensryche’s website and social media channels to promote the events, while Tate’s solo shows and win business were being fully promoted.

Last week Tate performed a band show as a solo artist after some members of the prog metal giants failed to appear “for personal reasons.”

On Tuesday the singer told fans: “Just hang in there. Everything’s moving along and everything’s looking good.”

In an interview before the news was confirmed La Torre said: “The fans like to say, ‘Geoff Tate is Queensryche.’ He was the voice of Queensryche, undoubtedly. He’s regarded as one of the best metal singers of all time. In my opinion, he created a style of singing. I had not heard anyone phrasing things and singing in the way that he did, and it was very captivating to me.

“But let’s not forget: Eddie Jackson is a writer and an original member. So is Scott Rockenfield on drums. So is Michael Wilton on guitar.”

La Torre intends to continue working with Crimson Glory, explaining: “There is a mutual respect between both bands – it’s a win-win situation for all involved. The fans of Queensrÿche that are unaware of Crimson Glory are in for a treat when they review the material.

Just my personal opinion....but I'm willing to bet that Geoff Tate will be much more successful without Queensrÿche than Queensrÿche will be without Geoff Tate.

well I wasnt reffering to their new stuff, meaning their pre-biblethumpin dave :P got the United Abominations album on right now

also, nothin wrong with some coffee endorsement, even the greatest band in history (with the 7th largest economy in the world) endorsed the Duncan Hills Coffee company ;)

I did shy away from Megadeth as well (around the time of "Risk") but I REALLY liked United Abominations (IMO their best work since Rust In Peace.)

I still keep meaning to listen to the newer Testament albums as well... just never get around to it.

Queensryche split with Tate

queensryche.jpg

Queensryche have split with singer Geoff Tate, and will continue with Todd La Torre in his place, the band have confirmed.

Speculation had been strong in recent weeks that a parting of the ways was on the cards, with the rest of the band revealing they’d formed a splinter group called Rising West featuring Crimson Glory frontman La Torre at the mic.

Drummer Scott Rockenfield says in a statement: “Over the past few months there have been growing creative differences within Queensryche. We want our fans to know that we hoped to find a common resolution, but in the end parting ways with Geoff was the best way for everyone to move forward in a positive direction.

“We wish him the best of luck with all of his future endeavours. We can’t wait to bring Queensryche to our fans with Todd behind the microphone.”

The band have put all scheduled performances on hold and say updated schedule information will be announced in due course.

Rockenfield, along with bandmates Michael Wilton, Eddie Jacskon and Parker Lundgren, played two shows under the Rising West name in their home town of Seattle earlier this month. They complained they weren’t being given access to Queensryche’s website and social media channels to promote the events, while Tate’s solo shows and win business were being fully promoted.

Last week Tate performed a band show as a solo artist after some members of the prog metal giants failed to appear “for personal reasons.”

On Tuesday the singer told fans: “Just hang in there. Everything’s moving along and everything’s looking good.”

In an interview before the news was confirmed La Torre said: “The fans like to say, ‘Geoff Tate is Queensryche.’ He was the voice of Queensryche, undoubtedly. He’s regarded as one of the best metal singers of all time. In my opinion, he created a style of singing. I had not heard anyone phrasing things and singing in the way that he did, and it was very captivating to me.

“But let’s not forget: Eddie Jackson is a writer and an original member. So is Scott Rockenfield on drums. So is Michael Wilton on guitar.”

La Torre intends to continue working with Crimson Glory, explaining: “There is a mutual respect between both bands – it’s a win-win situation for all involved. The fans of Queensrÿche that are unaware of Crimson Glory are in for a treat when they review the material.

Just my personal opinion....but I'm willing to bet that Geoff Tate will be much more successful without Queensrÿche than Queensrÿche will be without Geoff Tate.

Queensryche is more of a "oh yeah, they are still around?" band. I could easily see Geoff being more of a success if he breaks away from promoting himself as "former frontman of Queensryche." Get Mike Portnoy to play drums and you have a great start to making a new and better progressive metal band.

Queensryche is more of a "oh yeah, they are still around?" band. I could easily see Geoff being more of a success if he breaks away from promoting himself as "former frontman of Queensryche." Get Mike Portnoy to play drums and you have a great start to making a new and better progressive metal band.

I wish I could +1 this post a million times...then the question would be, in this prog metal supergroup, who could we get to play bass and guitar? I do 100% like the way you think though. ;)

I wish I could +1 this post a million times...then the question would be, in this prog metal supergroup, who could we get to play bass and guitar? I do 100% like the way you think though. ;)

Billy Sheehan on bass

Marty Friedman on guitar

I'm trying to go with people who aren't currently in "bigger" acts already (yeah I know Sheehan is always in a million different projects.)

I haven't got into any "new" bands per se, but just to list some from each genre mentioned (you will notice duplicates for ones I can think of that qualify for more than a single genre):

Industrial Rock/Metal: KMFDM, Rammstein, Megaherz, G//Z/R, Fear Factory, The Kovenant, Pain, Ministry, Drown

Symphonic: Kamelot, Epica, Nightwish, Therion, Dimmu Borgir (I prefer to think of them as Symphonic than Black Metal), After Forever

Power: Kamelot, Stratovarius, Edguy, Dio

Progressive: Dream Theater, Opeth, Tool, Queensryche, Nevermore, Green Carnation (Light of Day / Blessing)

Gothic: Lacuna Coil, Tristania, Type O Negative, Xandria, Nightwish, The Kovenant, Draconian, Paradise Lost

Plain ol' heavy/thrash: Judas Priest, Metallica (Black Album and before), Megadeth, Slayer, Hirax, Kreator, Sepultura (w/Max), Flotsam & Jetsam, God Forbid, Exodus, Darkane, Testament, Lordi, Black Label Society, Machine Head

Not nearly all bands but just some examples.

You know very little about Gothic metal if those are your best examples. and how is Machine Head and Judas Priest even metioned together.

Dimmu Borgir is black metal...that guy hasn't got a clue what he's talking about, about anything...how he can put those examples out for gothic metal and omit Katatonia, Cradle of Filth, Moonspell, Rotting Christ, Graveworm, Anathema or Charon is beyond insulting. And Epica is gothic metal, not symphonic metal.

I usually have a pretty good handle on what constitutes a metal subgenre, but I've always struggled with gothic. From what I've gathered, it seems to often be doomy, but with a noticeable synth element.

The keyboards are essential, for sure. Some people when H.I.M first came out, classified them as gothic metal...I'd reluctantly agree with that, even though it's more mallcore than anything, really.

The keyboards are essential, for sure. Some people when H.I.M first came out, classified them as gothic metal...I'd reluctantly agree with that, even though it's more mallcore than anything, really.

Gothic is Kinda my thing, and The 69 eyes and HIM almost ruined it for me but thankfully Bam is not on TV anymore and HIM hasn't made a good album in years.

Finland is like my Graceland

LOL

Archived