• Announcements

• StealthNuck

All Threads Must Contain Tags!   07/25/2017

ALL THREADS MUST CONTAIN TAGS   All threads in this forum must contain tags prefixed to topic titles. The purpose of the tags is to eliminate confusion in recent threads lists, and to create an organized and consistent environment. Moderators may immediately lock and thread that does not contain tags.    Tags must be placed at the start of your thread title, following this exact formatting:    [Tag] Thread Title   Here are some of the most used popular tags:    [Proposal]
      A trade, or trades, for next season, or even the off-season.
      [Off-Season]
      FA signings, off-season trades for RFA's, UFA's rights etc...
      [Value Of]
      (A question regarding a players worth, whether from another team, or the Canucks)
      [Speculation] Posting a rumor (with a source of course), but providing why it could be possible for the Canucks to land that player.   [Discussion]
      Thoughts on team trading strategy and composition.   Please feel free to create your own tag if none of these suit your thread.   

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The.Burrowers

Luongo for Lecavalier

9,097 posts in this topic

Higgins NOT a 2nd liner.

We need someone to play with Kesler that would actually help.....

That's why I'm suggesting someone like Purcell, as he is fast, can chip in goals but can pass really well.

This is also a time to hone the skill of Hodgson, as he is playing very well.

Have you not specifically noticed his speed and his passes he made during the Chicago series?

He is a great play maker, and Shirokov is a perfect asset to that as Shiro is a great shooter.

Mason playing with them will give them a speedy line that can score goals.

However at the beginning of the year I would say we slowly add minutes into our rookies, and not rush them too much.

Higgins was awesome with Kes, went hard after every puck and has the speed to hang with that line, he's smart with the puck and I like his work ethic. For those reasons, give him chance. Kesler had a 40 goal season last year, I don't think we need to trade away our franchise goalie for a second line winger. Yes, Hodgson is playing really well but I dont think we have room at center, Lapierre had an awesome playoffs (when he wasnt being a clown) and with some development he will be a great 4th line center. Also, if you watched, Hodgson made some really bad plays in his own end and was sloppy at times, he would definitely benefit from another year in the minors with some call up time when needed. Shiro has been tried a few times in the pre-season and I dont think he will make the team. Honestly, I wont be surprised if hes back in the KHL next year. Not to mention Mason has been under scrutiny for a LONG time for not producing the way everyone thinks he could, I dont think its a good idea to put two unproven guys both with not much time in the NHL with one that has under-performed

If Columbus can`t get Jeff Carter or a big name center to play with Nash, target Nash

To Vancouver

Rick Nash

To Columbus

Cody Hodgson (can build franchise around Hodgson

Cory Schneider (Mason is inconsistent)

Chris Tanev (good up and coming defenceman. Vancouver can give up due to depth on defence)

Mason Raymond (depth player)

Keith Ballard (if they can`t resign Hejda, Ballard would be a good replacement)

1st round pick

NHL Final Mock Draft

1. Edmonton Oilers – RyanNugent-Hopkins

2. Colorado Avalanche – GabrielLandeskog

3. Florida Panthers – JonathanHuberdeu

4. New Jersey Devils – Adam Larsson

5. New York Islanders – DougieHamilton

6. Ottawa Senators – Sean Couturrier

7. Winnipeg Jets – Ryan Strome

8. Columbos Blue Jackets – NathanBealieu

9. Boston Bruins – Ryan Murphy

10. Minnesota Wild – Joel Armia

11. Colorado Avalanche – Jamieson Oleksiak

12. Carolina Hurricanes – Mark Macniel

13. Calgary Flames – Mika Zibenajad

14. Dallas Stars – Duncan Siemens

15. New York Rangers – Sven Bartschi

16. Buffalo Sabres – Mark Scheifele

17. Montreal Canadiens – Nick Jensen

18. Chicago Blackhawks – Boone Jenner

19. Edmonton Oilers – Joe Morrow

20. Pheonix Coyotes – Tyler Biggs

21. Ottawa Senators – John Gibson

22. Anaheim Ducks – Brandon Saad

23. Pittsburgh Penguins – Matt Puempel

24. Detroit Red Wings – Thomas Jurco

25. Toronto Maple Leafs – Ty Rattie

26. Washington Capitals – Vladislav Nemestnikov

27. Tampa Bay Lightning – Zack Phillips

28. San Jose Sharks – Rocco Grimaldi

29. Vancouver Canucks – Oscar Klefbom

30. Toronto Maple Leafs – Jonas Brodin

What do you think? is this a good prediction? post yours

p.s needed to make this thread to get my mind off the finals

Yeah his cap hit is pretty tough to swallow, and although he is (ironically) the perfect player for our situation I think to swallow that cap hit we'd have to weaken ourselves elsewhere so I don't think it's worth it.. other cheaper options that could keep us viable.

Wanted to repost this...... put a lot of thought into it and it's completely buried in the big thread. Thoughts? Criticisms?

General plans: Get a power forward to play with the Sedin's to generate space/hit/go to the net. This lets Burrows and Kesler play together giving Kesler a legitimate linemate. Keep the 3rd line in tact for the most part (hopefully manny is back at a higher level).

I don't think we need to completely remake the 4th line as we have the guys for it, just plug other holes and let the guys on the 3rd line now be our 4th line. I am not the biggest Lou fan but we can win a cup with him, we won't be able to keep bot him and Schneider so trade Schneider + Samuellson (cap room) for either a big, tough dmen with a bit of a shot (think Boychuk) or the power forward above.

I really think coaching, was yet again, our big problem. Vigneault just never seems to make changes.. we didn't even use our 4th line WHY wouldn't he dress a 7th dmen, a guy to defend our stars and another centermen rather then a line we play for 3 minutes a game?

Resign:

• Bieksa - 4.25m

• Torres - 1.2m

• Hansen - 1.1 m (RFA)

• Lapierre - 1.0m (RFA)

• Oreskovich - Oreskovich - 750k (RFA)

Walking Papers:

• Higgins : good player but walks the line between 2nd/3rd line, we couldn't afford him if he wants a raise

• Glass: Just didn't see enough to entice me to offer him a contract

• Ehrhoff: Will want too much money. Had a separated shoulder but rather soft.

• Salo: Quite old, great on the PP and solid defensively but again, we need to revamp the D core. If he'll take a huge discount (ie 1.0) why not but unlikely

UFA Signings:

• Backup Goalie: 1 of Boucher, Theodore, Emery, Harding.. idea get a veteran who could be a starter for a short stretch at a 925k (similiar to Schneider's) cap hit.

• Power Forward/Gritty Dmen with shot: 1 or the other. Joel Ward as a forward, Anton Babchuk (although a guy who hits much more,, but just big and mean -not easy to take liberties with), guys like that. Too lazy to research a list of exact guys but players with the skillset listed above

• Gritty fighter who can actually play a bit of hockey: Using Brad Winchester as an example. Cheap signing as the alternating forward who isn't a COMPLETE liability who is tough enough to beat a guy like Shawn Thornton into the ground when he takes a shot at our goalie in the warmup.

• Trades: Simple: Schneider and Samuellson for the piece we didn't get through free agency.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Joel Ward Type ($2.750m)

Sergei Shirokov ($1.300m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

Mason Raymond ($2.550m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.100m)

Raffi Torres ($1.200m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Victor Oreskovich ($0.750m)

Brad Winchester ($0.750m)

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.250m)

Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Gritty Defensemen with a Shot ($2.000m)

Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

Aaron Rome ($0.750m)

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m) / Brian Boucher ($0.925m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,208,333; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $191,667

Not perfect.. but illustrates we have about 4.75 mil to spend on a top-6 forward and a big strong physical dmen. How much we can spend on one depends on the other. Guys in the calculator are just placeholders (although I really like Ward, I doubt he would sign for that much)

Shirokov/Hodgson will likely get a chance out of training camp as Mayray will be hurt for that long. We will need a young player to break out.

Wish we had more cap space but I would be confident if the above was our lineup. If we don't trade Samuelson I'd slot him in Shirokov's spot and try to trade Schneider straight up for the dmen or forward with a lesser salary.

edit: if the salary cap does go up to 63.5 dump the extra cash into the new players.. gives us a chance to actually acquire Ward and a 4.0 Dmen! Point being, Ehrhoff is good but we have players like him, we need a big physical guy with talent.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

Zach Parise ($5.500m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.250m)

Victor Oreskovich ($0.575m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($2.500m)

Jarkko Ruutu ($1.000m) / Maxim Lapierre ($0.900m) / Aaron Volpatti ($0.612m)

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.000m)

Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Lee Sweatt ($0.650m)

Christian Ehrhoff ($4.500m) / Aaron Rome ($0.750m)

Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m) / Eddie Lack ($0.900m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,820,833; BONUSES: $210,000

CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $579,167

My question is what would it take to get Parise out of NJ?

I'm assuming we'll trade Ballard, sign Bieksa to a 5 year deal at a cap hit of $4m, and Ehrhoff similarly 5 years $4.5m. Resigned Hansen to 2 years $1.25.

And I'm assuming that Schneider would be a key piece in the Parise trade.

Thoughts?

(And don't flame me, it's just made for fun. Still gutted that we lost yesterday :( )

Not bad. I agree with the Higgins and Kes comment, I say give him the chance. I also think shiro or hodgson will get a chance in early season with mayson out. I think Hansen will get more than 1.1 though

If that's our 4th line I swear I'll cheer for a different team... Otherwise not bad. I think Schneider, Schroeder, and a pick should get Parise out of NJ. Curious why Sweatt ahead of Tanev? And I think if we get rid of Schneids we need a bona-fide back up that can play 20 games or more without hurting the team

You'd have to tear the team apart to get those two, and I don't think doing that would make us stronger. Also, I dont think there's any way Peg will give up Ladd (or Buff), he will likely be the face of their franchise

Thanks for the input =)

I agree with both comments actually. Hansen could very well command more I was thinking 1.1 (1) but I wouldn't' be surprised if he got a multi year 2.5 (4) kind of thing.

I really like Higgins too, I think he is great because he can play either role (scoring when he's hot, checking when he's not) I just don't know how realistic it is to expect to resign him for under 2.5 million on the open market..

With that said, thanks to my not checking beforehand, if the cap really does go up to 63.5 we could easily keep Higgins and I'd love to see him slotted in where Raymond is to start the season, and if Shirokov doesn't work to take his spot. If I learned anything from this cup run it's that I don't think you can ever have too many players who can play in the slotting above their regular line from time to time.

You cant split up the twins and burr no one works better with the sedins than himHodgson will probably make the team next year in a 3rd line role and someone who can fill in on the 2ndIm a huge luongo fan but keep schnieder because if he struggles u have a proven guy and if he gets injured you have a proven guy, safer move all around.Maybe trade Samuelson if he cant stay healty for another player who is a good playoff player someone who can play 2-3 lineidk about the third cause if we have hodgson and higgins in the line up who plays with them cause there both no 4th line players.AV should be gone, we need a coach who can change things up and not taking personal matters over the team (Ballard situation, and even O`Brien situation)

<br />Here we go...<br />Let me say I am hoping to build a Flyers type offense with the extra cap space next year will allow. What I mean by this is a first line, line 2A, line 2B, and a 3rd line, with line 3 being the shutdown line. Meaning we have 3 lines of legit offence and a good shutdown line. <br /><br />First off, I looked at the free agency and the restricted free agency...<br /><br />To Vancouver: Teddy Purcell, 1st round draft<br /><br />To TB: Roberto Luongo, 2nd round draft pick<br /><br />Assuming Teddy resgins with Tampa and Luongo waives the NTC, we can get a good winger.<br />This gives us a good player in Purcell that can play with Kesler and Luongo a change in scenery, and in a team desperate for a starter next season.<br /><br />2ndly, Sign Mathieu Garon for 1 year, 1M Contract<br /><br />3rdly: If Teddy Purcell-Luongo trade unsucessful, we could go after Alex Frolov of free agency and trade Luongo for prospects.<br /><br />To Vancouver: 1st round draft pick<br /><br />To Carolina: Keith Ballard<br /><br />This helps us replenish our prospect pool a bit and Carolina gets some much needed depth support in Ballard<br /><br /><br />4th, we extend Cory's contract to 5 years, 15M dollars. <br /><br />Then extend Shirokov's contract to 3 year, 5M dollars for a 1.67M/year.<br />Resgin Tanev for 3 year, 6M dollars for 2M/year.<br />Resign Bieksa for 4 year, 18M contract for 4.5M/year<br />Resign Ehrhoff for 4 year, 18M contract for 4.5M/year<br />Resign Hansen for 3 year, 3.75M contract for 1.25M/year<br />Resign Torres for 2 years, 2.5M contract for 1.25M/year<br />Resign Tambellini for 2 years, 1.5M contract for 0.75M/year<br />Resign Alberts for 2 years, 2M contract for 1M/year<br />Resign Oreskovich for 1 year 900k deal.<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; D. Sedin &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; H.Sedin        Burrows<br /> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Purcell        Kesler &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Samuelsson<br /> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Shirokov &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Hodgson &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Raymond <br /> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Torres        Malhotra    Hansen <br />   &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Tambellini Oreskovich<br /><br /> <br />            Hamhuis    Bieksa<br />            Edler      Ehrhoff <br />            Tanev      Rome <br />                  Alberts<br />            <br /><br /> <br />   &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Schneider <br /> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Garon<br /><br /><br />How would rolling 4 lines work? Why is Malhotra on the 4th line?<br /><br />Here's the rubric matchup<br /><br />Opponent Matchup - Malhotra Line / Kesler Line<br />Opponent 2nd Line- Sedin Line<br />Opponent 3rd Line- Kesler Line / Hodgson Line<br />Opponent 4th Line- Hodgson Line / Malhotra Line<br /><br /><br />Sedins + Kesler Line get 17minutes apiece<br />Hodgson + Malhotra Line gets 13minutes apiece<br /><br />Also, I know I built this roster on a lot of rookies and without too much playoffs experience, but I hope the 2010 roster players will influence and help them.<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />Cap hit approx. of 61.9M<br /><br />Any thoughts?<br />

<br /><br /><br />

So we don't have Luongo and our offensive doesn't really upgrade at all. And your so called third line will get owned by the bigger guys in the playoff.

1) I liked Higgins on the 2nd this season with Kesler. Keep them with Raymond or put Burrows on that line? Too early to tell IMO, pretty much w/e works

2) Agreed about getting Joel Ward type forward; this team needs some guys whose energy and timely contributions (hit, goal, w/e) can bring up the other guys' motivations, who becomes the other team's D's focal point and by doing so opens up space for his line mates (maybe a Sobotka? Tyler Ennis?)--> maybe try this acquisition w/ Kesler's line to really create a grit line that can wear down the other team's D before putting the Sedins on

3) MG should trade Ballard and Ehrhoff for Weber (... yeah right ;)); but seriously this team needs a gritty D-man with a shot like the OP said--> Ehrhoff can go, maybe bring in Babchuk like OP said or get Montador? With healthy Ballard, Hamhuis, Edler, a consistent Bieksa and one of the aforementioned additions this team should be fine

4) Maybe consider the possibility of reassigning the leadership roles w/in the team? I'm really not sure Henrik has what it takes when things are really on the line

5) Dream: if Darren Archibald was ready to contribute next season! :towel:

So there's 41 away games too... Malholtra wont always get that match up and I am curious to see what he looks like at the beginning of next season. He didnt look good in the finals at all but I'm wondering if thats just because he rushed back before he was 100%.