Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Luongo for Lecavalier

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9097 replies to this topic

#3301 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:15 AM

I like Setoguchi but he has been in a bretty big slump lately, as bad as Raymonds.

#3302 STOP asking for Kovalchuk

STOP asking for Kovalchuk

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:24 PM

Shirokov! :P

#3303 kloubek

kloubek

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:56 PM

Firstly, the disclaimer to this trade is with the assumption Salo WILL be ready to play by playoff time.

To Canucks:
Boyle
Del Zotto
Hagelin

To NYR:
Bliznak
Ehrhoff
Shirokov

Why Vancouver does this:
This saves somewhere just over 2 million in cap, which I believe gives us enough space to fit Salo when he returns.
It provides us with what will likely be a top-four defenseman in the future, who is signed for an extra year and is RFA after that.
Brian Boyle is exactly the kind of big body with some offensive upside we need in the 4th line centre position, and is signed at a very attractive price.
Hagelin is a toss-up as a future NHL player, but has good speed and for some reason I think we like Swedish players. lol

Why New York does this:
Gives them the puck moving and shooting defenseman they so badly need.
They receive Sergei Shirokov who has shown excellent offensive instincts.
Many feel Del Zotto needs another year or two in the minors, and has done little to contribute this year.

But Vancouver is overpaying!
We tend to overvalue our players. No doubt Ehrhoff is a great d-man and I've love to keep him. But if the reports are true - that he is looking for 5 million, we just can't afford that. Better to get something for him now, than nothing later. Shirokov has been anything but consistant at the NHL level. While he might turn into a very good player, he will not likely contribute what we need right now, given our lineup. Boyle, however, is *exactly* what we need right now. And Del Zotto was figured to be an excellent d-man... it will just take a little time.

But New York is overpaying!
Again, Del Zotto was expected to be a good player (20th overall), but has taken a backward stride this season. New York gets the puck moving and shooting defenseman they need right now. They also gain a shifty russian winger, who would fill in quite nicely right now for the injured players they have.

If you still think a team is overpaying, add in a late-round draft pick to taste.

Our new lineups:
Sedin Sedin Burrows
Raymond Kesler Samuelsson
Torres Malhotra Tambi
Glass Boyle Hansen

Bieksa Edler
Hamhuis Salo
Ballard Del Zotto/Alberts
Biggest Canucks Fan this Side of the Rockies.

#3304 palindrom

palindrom

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:07 PM

Does the NYR have the cap space for this?
Posted Image Was too much for me!

Instead im reading English grammar for advanced dummies

#3305 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,194 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:11 PM

Does the NYR have the cap space for this?

they have just over 1.5 mil in cap space.

#3306 rypitup

rypitup

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:13 PM

I've always liked seeing Burr with Kes (pk, ot, etc.). If we could find a legitimate player to go on the top line, I would be all for this. Raymond has not clicked well with the Sedin's in the past, and Samuelsson also performed less than expected during the regular season. If Samuelsson could find a way to play the same way he did in the playoffs, I would be all for this. Tambellini is also an option for the top line. Good idea.

#3307 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:34 PM

Sedin - Sedin - Tambellini
Burrows - Kesler - Hansen
Raymond - Malhotra - Samuelsson
Torres - Raymond - Glass
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#3308 whynot

whynot

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:12 PM

Sedin - Sedin - Tambellini
Burrows - Kesler - Hansen
Raymond - Malhotra - Samuelsson
Torres - Raymond - Glass

Your lineup doesn't look that bad but you might wanna play Hansen instead of double shifting raymond :P
Personally I don't like this idea though. The Sedins are pretty bad in their own end and its probably best to keep someone better defensively like Samuelsson or Burrows on that line as per usual. When Tambi played with them earlier they scored yes, but they got scored on a tun.

#3309 Guest_burrows_*

Guest_burrows_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:37 PM

You're right !! Sammuelson goes to the third...... better that way !! But Raymond with the Sedins ?? We've tried it and there wasn't a lot of chemistry there !! Great plays; but no real finish !! It has to be someone else; like .... Tambo :)

I was thinking of Tambo but I'd hate to see Raymond ruin the chemistry between
Kes and Burr. Raymond one of those guys that don't really fit well in the
lineup. :mellow:

#3310 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:06 PM

Your lineup doesn't look that bad but you might wanna play Hansen instead of double shifting raymond :P
Personally I don't like this idea though. The Sedins are pretty bad in their own end and its probably best to keep someone better defensively like Samuelsson or Burrows on that line as per usual. When Tambi played with them earlier they scored yes, but they got scored on a tun.

Didn't notice I put Raymond twice. Probably meant to put Volpatti.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#3311 LuiLui

LuiLui

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:01 AM

What would possess the Rangers to do this? Bliznak is a fringe NHLer so is Shirokov. Ehrhoff is a UFA at the end of the year and there is no guarantee he would sign with the Rangers. MDZ has a full NHL season under his belt and is now working on his defensive game, and Brian Boyle is having a breakout season and is on a great contract. Rangers would say no to this.

I'd rather be called classless than be called the Calgary Flames.

Sig too big.

#3312 Razorghost

Razorghost

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:23 AM

There is no way the Rangers do this, I agree with the above poster.
Posted Image

#3313 kloubek

kloubek

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:09 AM

They would do this because they need a *good* defenseman who can handle the puck. Del Zotto will not be that guy for at least a year or two - and even that is not a guarantee. Boyle is having a good year, yes. But he was aquired for a 3rd round pick if I'm not mistaken.... he is, according to most people, playing past his actual ability and will come down to earth soon enough.

Bliznak is just there to be an option for a centre, and not really a significant part of the trade... same with Hagelin. And as far as Shirokov is concerned, I think he has much more potential than just a fringe NHLer.

Even given your mindset, if we were to throw in... say.. a 3rd round pick, I still think it would be a good trade for both teams.

I guess it depends on what NYR's thoughts are right now. Do they want to go for a cup run this year, or in 2-4 years? If the latter, I guess this trade won't make much sense. But NY has generally been a "right now" kind of team - which is why I figured they might bite on Erhoff. (Who, by the way, is having a career year)
Biggest Canucks Fan this Side of the Rockies.

#3314 LuiLui

LuiLui

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:20 AM

They would do this because they need a *good* defenseman who can handle the puck. Del Zotto will not be that guy for at least a year or two - and even that is not a guarantee. Boyle is having a good year, yes. But he was aquired for a 3rd round pick if I'm not mistaken.... he is, according to most people, playing past his actual ability and will come down to earth soon enough.

Bliznak is just there to be an option for a centre, and not really a significant part of the trade... same with Hagelin. And as far as Shirokov is concerned, I think he has much more potential than just a fringe NHLer.

Even given your mindset, if we were to throw in... say.. a 3rd round pick, I still think it would be a good trade for both teams.

I guess it depends on what NYR's thoughts are right now. Do they want to go for a cup run this year, or in 2-4 years? If the latter, I guess this trade won't make much sense. But NY has generally been a "right now" kind of team - which is why I figured they might bite on Erhoff. (Who, by the way, is having a career year)

Just because Boyle was aquired for a 3rd round pick doesn't mean he should be traded for something of similar value. He probably will not score at the pace he is this season again, but why trade away someone who is hot and scoring if you are gearing up for a cup run like you say the Rangers are? MDZ had 37 points last year, he is a PMD who just needs to round out his defensive game which he has been working on this year as he is only a -1 in 36 games played. The Rangers have a strong young group of Dman. Staal, Girardi, Mcdonagh, Sauer, and MDZ who are all 25 or younger. They are most likely going to finish between 5th-8th and know that they are a couple of years away from being contenders. Why risk losing MDZ a 20 year old dman, who has already scored 37 points in a season and Boyle who has been amazing this year(17 goals), for a 45 point dman who would likely become a UFA and two prospects who don't have very high ceilings. The Canucks on the other hand, are without a doubt getting ready for a cup run so why trade away a veteran PMD?k Salo is not guaranteed to come back. D-depth is needed more than prospects at this point while the Rangers would want to keep MDZ and allow him to develop with the rest of their core Dmen.

I'd rather be called classless than be called the Calgary Flames.

Sig too big.

#3315 wtpasc

wtpasc

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:22 PM

So the Sens are blowing it up, and apparently no one is safe from trades. Quick questions, are there any players in their system that are worth taking before the deadline?

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3316 Madness

Madness

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,664 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:23 PM

Alfy would be good but he's apparently not being traded and too expensive.

We All Go a Little Mad Sometimes

cookie.png

#3317 wtpasc

wtpasc

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:34 PM

Always been a fan of alfredsson, definatly couldn't afford him. although he might look pretty good beside kes

#3318 Hafizzle

Hafizzle

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:39 PM

I'm at university in Ottawa so I get to watch the Sens play quite often. Alfie's still a decent player but he's well past his prime and he's now a half step behind the play so we wouldn't want him even if he was cheap which he obviously isn't.

The sens have some decent prospects in Cowen and Rundblad but both are untouchable. I'd also say that Karlsson and Fisher would be safe from trades.

Aside from any of the aforementioned players I wouldn't want any of the Sens players. Many of them are old and past their prime and the rest are all on ridiculous contracts.

#3319 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,924 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:43 PM

Ruutu is available.

As long as he doesn't take too many dumb penalties, he's one of the best agitators in the game. It would keep pricks like Burish in line.

But his season thus far has been awful, offensively.

Edited by TOMapleLaughs, 26 January 2011 - 01:44 PM.

Posted Image

#3320 Justin.

Justin.

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:48 PM

I would love Karlsson, but I think he and Alfie are the few untouchables for the Sens..

#3321 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,276 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:51 PM

Karlsson and Foligno

for

Bieksa and Torres
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#3322 ElfShotTheFood

ElfShotTheFood

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:00 PM

Rebuilding teams trade old expensive players, not young cheap ones.

#3323 Nuckinstoon

Nuckinstoon

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:03 PM

Michalek wouldn't be too bad imo. He would make a great winger for our second line. Other then him, all the other players I would want would be untouchable (Karlsson, Fisher, Lehner, Cowen). We could get him for Tamby + picks? (Tambellini would be useless to have if we got Mich).

#3324 Hafizzle

Hafizzle

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:08 PM

Rebuilding teams trade old expensive players, not young cheap ones.

This. They will not be trading any of their young players or prospects and they are the only ones a team like the Canucks would have interest in.

#3325 KeslerPlaysLikeACanadian

KeslerPlaysLikeACanadian

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:14 PM

<br />Rebuilding teams trade old expensive players, not young cheap ones.<br />

<br /><br /><br />
exactly. Ruutu is affordable and valuable to a playoff team. But i think that's about it. I wouldn't want anyone else. Even Jarkko is too expensive for the nucks. I say don't bugger with chemistry - no deadline deals.

#3326 KeslerPlaysLikeACanadian

KeslerPlaysLikeACanadian

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:15 PM

true about michalek though...someone should want him...like PIT maybe

#3327 Hafizzle

Hafizzle

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:18 PM

<br /><br /><br />
exactly. Ruutu is affordable and valuable to a playoff team. But i think that's about it. I wouldn't want anyone else. Even Jarkko is too expensive for the nucks. I say don't bugger with chemistry - no deadline deals.

I wouldn't want Ruutu even if we could get him for cheap. Don't get me wrong, I loved him when he was a Canuck but this team has really evolved into a team toughness type team from an agitating team. A player like Ruutu is fun for the fans to watch but he could be costly in the playoffs with creating all his crap and taking dumb penalties. There's a reason a player like Kesler no longer acts as an agitator and causes crap so why would we go out and get one?

#3328 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,525 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:32 PM

I wouldn't want Ruutu even if we could get him for cheap. Don't get me wrong, I loved him when he was a Canuck but this team has really evolved into a team toughness type team from an agitating team. A player like Ruutu is fun for the fans to watch but he could be costly in the playoffs with creating all his crap and taking dumb penalties. There's a reason a player like Kesler no longer acts as an agitator and causes crap so why would we go out and get one?

I don't see the relationship between team toughness and agitating. They're two completely unrelated things.

Kesler doesn't do it anymore because he's an offensive threat. He realizes his energy and focus is better channeled towards scoring goals than agitating.

He's an agitator. It's his job to create crap and incite the other team into taking dumb retaliatory penalties. With the team's tremendous power play, a guy like Ruutu could be useful because his antics will rile up the opposition and result in a power play for the Canucks.

Ruutu was a great penalty killer when he was here and it doesn't hurt to add another penalty killer to the team.

He shortly previously played on a checking line with Alex Burrows and Ryan Kesler and they were great. He would be a wonderful addition to this team and would allow the team to form a checking line.

Ruutu - Malhotra - Hansen (checking line)
Torres - Tambellini - Glass (energy line)

Anybody?

The Canucks have been under the agitator ever since Burrows became a scoring threat. It would be nice to have somebody to do what Dave Bolland did to Daniel Sedin to somebody else.

Posted Image

#3329 canucks_fan_17

canucks_fan_17

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:33 PM

Not sure why anyone would shorten "them" to "em" and still say "they are".

I'd probably go with "Get em while they're hot".

Oh the actual post? No, I don't see it happening.

#3330 wtpasc

wtpasc

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:41 PM

Not sure why anyone would shorten "them" to "em" and still say "they are".

I'd probably go with "Get em while they're hot".

Oh the actual post? No, I don't see it happening.

HAHA grow a pair and make a topic yourself!

wait.... don't see what happening exactly?

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.