The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

******* OFFICIAL IPHONE/IPOD TOUCH/IPOD/IPAD THREAD*******

Markus Alexander Cody

Well 8GB is now $99.99 but I want the 16GB so yeah. And include 3G internet as well...

That's sweet. How is the vibration? Is it like when you get a call you can actually feel it no matter how thick clothing you're wearing or is it weak? Because I hate phones that have weak vibrations.

I also don't like how the phone has to be on when you charge it. I sometimes get text messages from friends at 6:30 in the morning, and let's just say the vibration is loud enough to wake me up (rattling against a desk). I usually have to charge it once a night (even with only moderate use), so get used to that. Tip: I put the phone in airplane mode (which takes two taps on the screen to do) while charging it, just so I won't get woken up by any calls/messages. It comes with an adapter where you can plug the USB into a wall outlet.

as with the vibration on the iphone, i found the vibration on the iphone to be very weak, as previous phones had much stronger ones. i have my phone on silent pretty often so its anoyying when i didnt know that i missed a call because i didnt feel it. my brothers blackberry (bold i think) can vibrate itself of the table if it rang long enough whereas the iphone more or less sits still.

Well, if you wear it through thick clothing... honestly, I don't think you'll be able to feel it through anything more than two layers (hoodie + t-shirt, etc.). I wouldn't call the vibration strong, but it's usually pretty good with letting me know that I'm recieving calls/messages (I hate phones with weak vibrations too - no no, not for that). It does have a feature where you can set it to vibrate every two minutes or so when you miss a call/message to let you know. But really though, if you get a phone like that, chances are you'll be fiddling around with it every ten to thirty minutes, and discover if you missed a call/message pretty darn quickly.

As for ringtones, they all suck. There is literally no selection, and you'd get laughed at for using any one of those anyway (with the exception of one or two).

I did not get mine jailbroken yet for two reasons. When I got my iPhone, it was the first batch to come with the new software, which there was no jailbreak out for that version yet. And more importantly, jailbreaking the phone will void warranty; it's probably a good idea to refrain from it for the first couple months or so just to make sure there are no defects. I will definitely consider it in the future though.

I also don't like how the phone has to be on when you charge it. I sometimes get text messages from friends at 6:30 in the morning, and let's just say the vibration is loud enough to wake me up (rattling against a desk). I usually have to charge it once a night (even with only moderate use), so get used to that. Tip: I put the phone in airplane mode (which takes two taps on the screen to do) while charging it overnight, just so I won't get woken up by any calls/messages. It comes with an adapter where you can plug the USB into a wall outlet.

Other than that, it's VERY easy to use (granted you keep it organized), and I'd recommend it to anyone. Any other questions?

ya i agree that the vibration is kinda weak but other than that it's a great phone

if you're looking for ringtones try this site.

http://www.free-ringtones.cc/

i downloaded the old hockey night in canada ringtone from there. used it for awhile but people looked at me weird when it rang so i changed it :)

Well, if you wear it through thick clothing... honestly, I don't think you'll be able to feel it through anything more than two layers (hoodie + t-shirt, etc.). I wouldn't call the vibration strong, but it's usually pretty good with letting me know that I'm recieving calls/messages (I hate phones with weak vibrations too - no no, not for that). It does have a feature where you can set it to vibrate every two minutes or so when you miss a call/message to let you know. But really though, if you get a phone like that, chances are you'll be fiddling around with it every ten to thirty minutes, and discover if you missed a call/message pretty darn quickly.

As for ringtones, they all suck. There is literally no selection, and you'd get laughed at for using any one of those anyway (with the exception of one or two).

I did not get mine jailbroken yet for two reasons. When I got my iPhone, it was the first batch to come with the new software, which there was no jailbreak out for that version yet. And more importantly, jailbreaking the phone will void warranty; it's probably a good idea to refrain from it for the first couple months or so just to make sure there are no defects. I will definitely consider it in the future though.

I also don't like how the phone has to be on when you charge it. I sometimes get text messages from friends at 6:30 in the morning, and let's just say the vibration is loud enough to wake me up (rattling against a desk). I usually have to charge it once a night (even with only moderate use), so get used to that. Tip: I put the phone in airplane mode (which takes two taps on the screen to do) while charging it overnight, just so I won't get woken up by any calls/messages. It comes with an adapter where you can plug the USB into a wall outlet.

Other than that, it's VERY easy to use (granted you keep it organized), and I'd recommend it to anyone. Any other questions?

What carrier are you using?

I personally have Telus, and I can safely tell you that their coverage is WAY better than Rogers/Fido. If you are in places where there is no WiFi, then you'd fall on your 3.5/3G network connectivities - you'll need a good data plan so you don't get charged a ridiculous amount for browsing the web.

What carrier will you be with?

How much are you willing to spend each month?

What features would you like? (umlimited text? call display? 500MB data? etc.)

WiFi is automatically free, FYI. It's essentially like bringing a laptop around and taking wireless internet from people, businesses, buildings, schools, etc.

500MB data is plenty enough. If you have wireless internet at home, you'll pretty much be going off that anyway while you are home anyway (if you're not using your computer).

I usually find myself using my iPhone quite a bit at home. Sometimes I even find myself sitting on the toilet seat for over 10 minutes browsing the web, or playing stupid games :S.

The only thing that could make you exceed 500MB data is if you download a lot of movies, or stream a lot of videos off of youtube.

I use so much WiFi (at school, at work, at home), I've only used up 10 MBs of data out of my 500 MB in two weeks. Pretty sad, eh?

Have you been with Telus for a long time? Expect to pay no less than $50 a month.

The plans are pretty crappy, if you ask me. Lucky my family has been with Telus for a LONG time, so I was able to haggle a bit out of loyalty.

For $50, you can get:

Up to 150 anytime minutes (free after 9PM)

Unlimited talk + text to your fav 5s OR Double anytime minutes OR 1000 incoming/outgoing text messages.

NO call display on this plan... I guess they are trying to make you pay more (equivilant to Rogers/Fido/Bell, etc.)

500 MB data

and the usual, less important stuff

You can take a look at these here:

http://www.telusmobility.com/en/BC/clear_choice_iphone/index.shtml

They are not cheap... and they don't contain much. If you've been with Telus for a while, you could try giving a call to loyalty, or maybe you could work out something with a dealer, getting anything from both is highly unlikely unless you have connections.

I currently pay $50 a month:

150 anytime minutes (includes bonus)

250 text messages

Unlimited talk + text to Fav 5s

Call Display

Voice mail 10

500 MB data

And all the other minor things.

Luckily they screwed something up while inputting it in, so I get the first 3 months half price :).

So basically unless I'm using a WiFi hotspot, I'll be using up my 500MB data. And Voice Mail 10 is what again? And the only movies I have are The Proposal and Hot Rod that I normally watch anyways. I've been with Telus for 3 years but I'm not sure how long my mom has been with Telus. Does the data plan cost per month affect how big your iPhone is? Like if it's 16GB, it would still be $50 per month (if I choose to go that way)?

Archived