The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Peter Andersson | D

Get real canuck fans

That injury that he has pretty much took him out of the picture for a while.

Next year he'll step it up before heading over to either moose or salmon kings.

I see great things in Andersson and I hope he continues developing I see him playing a very similar style to Edler.

Who knows this guy might literally be Edler version 2.0 putting those two on the same line would do wonders on each other. I really hope he pans out to one of the d man that we might look to in the years to come when we're winning the Stanley Cups over the next couple of years.

I want him to develop into a very good defenseman, but let's be real here.

He will most likely amount to nothing, let's keep our exceptions a tad lower...

expecting a kid to be a bust from just expecting him top 2nd -3rd pairing guy to expecting him to "amount to nothing out is not tad lower rather expecting complete failure.

its one thing to have realistic expectations and completely different to expect failure.

expecting a kid to be a bust from just expecting him top 2nd -3rd pairing guy to expecting him to "amount to nothing out is not tad lower rather expecting complete failure.

its one thing to have realistic expectations and completely different to expect failure.

So what would realistic expectations for Andersson be?

So what would realistic expectations for Andersson be?

i think anywhere in the bottom 3 would be realistic and anything more than that is a bonus.

here's a Province article about Andersson:

Blueliner Andersson 'just like Edler'

Accelerating defenceman calm with puck and makes good first pass

Peter Andersson doesn't have a big command of the English language, but he does have big aspirations to measure up to Alex Edler as another look-what-we-found blueliner for the Vancouver Canucks.At least that's what the NHL club has told its fifth-round pick from the 2009 entry draft.

Andersson made a major leap last season by playing in the world junior tournament and the Swedish Elite League, so comparisons to his countryman are only natural. Maybe they're not fair, but his rapid rise is rare and familiar, and most noticeable at the Canucks' development camp at Rogers Arena.

"I'm just like Edler -- they said it," the 19-year-old Andersson chuckled of the comparison made by Dave Gagner, the Canucks' director of player development. "That's good."

What will be good in the accelerated learning curve for the 6-foot-3, 194-pound Andersson is the opportunity to play a full elite season with Brynas where he had six points (2-4) in 10 games after amassing five points (1-4) with Vastra Frolunda in 21 games.

And with the Canucks making long-term commitments to veterans like Dan Hamhuis and Keith Ballard, and expected to extend the contract of Christian Ehrhoff, they can also be patient. No need to rush anybody because the cupboard appears to be finally stocked with other bona fide NHL prospects like Yann Sauve, Kevin Connauton, Chris Tanev and Evan Oberg.

That doesn't mean that Andersson won't push to play pro in a year. Much like Edler, getting his legs under a fast-growing frame has been a challenge and nobody wants to be a deer in the headlights.

But Andersson impressed enough to be the final player added the Swedish roster for the worlds last season, a team that included Canucks prospect Anton Rodin. Andersson had three assists in six games, including an 11-4 romp of Switzerland in the bronze-medal game, and could be like Edler. He needed just one WHL season in Kelowna before jumping to the AHL Manitoba Moose.

"It was so big for me to come over and play that tournament," said Andersson, who broke a wrist two years ago. "It was good for me to go in and do what I'm good at."

What Andersson is good at is what Edler has become known for after being a third-round pick in 2004. Excellent at the outset from making a good first pass, he has had 20-, 37-and 42-point NHL seasons and learned to lean on people. Andersson looks to have that potential.

"He's calm with the puck like Alex and that's why he reminds us of him and that's where the comparison is drawn," said Gagner. "And he really adjusted well to the elite league level and was ahead of everybody's expectations. What we like about him is that he's very athletic and playing a bigger role next year with men at that level of skill is going to be huge for him.

"We have competition from within with the next wave of D-men and that seems to project well."

For the Canucks and for Andersson.

© Copyright © The Province

I hope he turns out like an Edler, He should try and play in the WHL. Just like Connauton did last year, And hopefully be a impact guy.

But playing in SEL isn't bad either for a 19yr old, Does anyone know his actually height?

Some say 6'3 others say 6'4

In the 1st page of this thread it's believed he's 6'5 :frantic:

I want him to develop into a very good defenseman, but let's be real here.

He will most likely amount to nothing, let's keep our exceptions a tad lower...

Realistically, Peter should have no problem becoming a top 4 defenseman.

A top 2 is a possibility, if he continues to play the way he played for Brynas. He will also fill out a bit more and by the time he is NHL ready, he should be 6'3, 205 pounds.

I hope he turns out like an Edler, He should try and play in the WHL. Just like Connauton did last year, And hopefully be a impact guy.

But playing in SEL isn't bad either for a 19yr old, Does anyone know his actually height?

Some say 6'3 others say 6'4

In the 1st page of this thread it's believed he's 6'5 :frantic:

I would rather have him playing in SEL than the WHL.

• 2 months later...

Andersson has been sent down again by Frolunda to Boras after a bad start to the season.

Today, he did record a goal though for Boras in his first game.

At least he will be getting more ice-time, but issues have been raised about his puckhandling.

Stick handling is fixable. Those guys over there are so good at it that an average stick handler would stick out like a sore thumb.

I wonder how his skating is doing?

Stick handling is fixable. Those guys over there are so good at it that an average stick handler would stick out like a sore thumb.

I wonder how his skating is doing?

I assume fine, since his skating was quite impressive for his size when I watched him at the WJHC last year.

Peter Andersson was called back to Frölunda as their other defensemen got injured. He didn't last however, as he himself was hurt during his first game back. Papers first reported a broken navicular but the team website responded with a quote from Peter Andersson: "They've looked, felt, twisted and turned and x-rayed and nothing was broken so I'll just keep going as usual". He will play the next game.

Sources: [1] and [2].

• 3 months later...

Archived