The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kellan Tochkin Talk

ilikecanucks

Surprised there isn't a topic dedicated solely to Kellan.

Quietly he is putting together a very good season on a very good Everett team.

Through 71 games he has 27 goals (up from 20 last year) and 67 points (4 back from last years totals).

He has however shown more willingness to compete shift in and shift out. He is a +23 and has 64 penalty minutes, which to me shows he is getting more involved.

Its nice to see he is grabbing the bull by the horns in terms of getting involved at both ends, and is shooting and scoring more often, and is also getting time on the PK.

Definately a good addition to a previously shallow prospect pool.

A long playoff run is likely in the cards, as Everett is a solid team.

he went to w j mouat secondary in abbotsford, where i grew up, my buddys lil bro went to school with him, iv heard about this kid even before he got drafted, it would be awesome if he can put up numbers like that at the nhl level one day

he went to w j mouat secondary in abbotsford, where i grew up, my buddys lil bro went to school with him, iv heard about this kid even before he got drafted, it would be awesome if he can put up numbers like that at the nhl level one day

Not sure why Prab Rai gets the guaranteed Moose spot, and Tochkin is going to be a career ECHLer.

I see Tochkin taking a couple more years in the 'dub before making the jump to pro hockey, but I see him as having much more upside than Rai.

Not sure why Prab Rai gets the guaranteed Moose spot, and Tochkin is going to be a career ECHLer.

I see Tochkin taking a couple more years in the 'dub before making the jump to pro hockey, but I see him as having much more upside than Rai.

He's physically weak (that's right, weak. Not "not strong enough," but weak.) and his skating ability is average. He's a good stick-handler and playmaker, but he doesn't look like NHL material. It'd be nice if he could play in the AHL for a few years, but he'll never survive in the NHL. If people think Wellwood is a liability, this kid would be an outright burden.

Hmmm.....a junior player isnt strong enough?

Its a good think, you can develop strength, if he has talent, he can get stronger.

Strength/Conditioning and skating are all things you can improve on, its skill/hockey sense that usually you cant.

Yes. A Junior player who isn't strong enough. You have to remember that they are being compared to NHL hockey players, not your high school buddies.

Most scouts would claim the opposite of what you've said. It is easier to teach hockey sense than alter genetics. You can improve a player's strength, but for the most part genetics determine how strong a player can become, and that cannot be taught.

How can you teach hockey sense though? Maybe through extensive use of videos to help them learn to read plays, but that could take a LOT longer to develop than it does to improve your strength/conditioning and skating.

Coaching, practice, running drills, playing games. It depends who it is, but no, it does not take longer than training strength, plus there's no ceiling. Everyone has their genetic limits and Kellan Tochkin's ceiling is low, just like the top of his head.

Archived