90 replies to this topic

#31 filthycanuck

filthycanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:49 PM

I dunno why most sites i've read up on says that " Kellan needs to work on his skating" stuff like that. From what i've seen from the camp last year he was a pretty decent skater, doesn't blow anyone by or anything but not slow and lumbering by any means. He does have good hands though and i guess his stats would attest to that ..but they are right in some cases about his size. There was a lot of drills when his stature was clearly an issue..but this can remedied with more proper instruction from canucks development

#32 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,377 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:53 PM

He maintained his points, increased his goals, doubled his PIM's and went from a -4 to a +24, that's solid.

Subbancopy.jpg

#33 RBork77

RBork77

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:22 PM

I dunno why most sites i've read up on says that " Kellan needs to work on his skating" stuff like that. From what i've seen from the camp last year he was a pretty decent skater, doesn't blow anyone by or anything but not slow and lumbering by any means. He does have good hands though and i guess his stats would attest to that ..but they are right in some cases about his size. There was a lot of drills when his stature was clearly an issue..but this can remedied with more proper instruction from canucks development

You don't know a bad skater when you see one then, he's a choppy and weak skater, it's obvious to me everytime I see him play.

#34 thegodcreation

thegodcreation

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:05 PM

From the observations I read around here, it seems that he's like a Wellwood?

Small
Weak/mediocre skater
Skilled
Good hockey IQ

#35 Trevor Presiloski

Trevor Presiloski

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:46 PM

Rai's skating ability will likely ensure he at least has a good shot at a career in the AHL. Although with Rai's skating and style of play, he strikes me as a guy that could/should bolt to Europe if it doesn't work for him at the NHL level.

The Canucks seem to disagree with you, as he was placed on the Salmon Kings roster. Usually not a good sign.

I'm more concerned with Rai's defensive game. His skating is good, but not as OMGAWESOME as some folks are making it out to be.

I'm rooting for him, but some people are getting way too excited over his one overage season.
Alive and well by the order of the Postmaster General.
The Internet Trashcan. My site. Perhaps you would like to see my etchings?
twitter.com/nettrashcan

#36 RBork77

RBork77

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:08 PM

Small
Weak/mediocre skater
Skilled
Good hockey IQ

yep, sorta like Wellwood; but, realistically, nowhere near as good (not yet anyways).

#37 Gnickers87

Gnickers87

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,441 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:36 PM

The Canucks seem to disagree with you, as he was placed on the Salmon Kings roster. Usually not a good sign.

I'm more concerned with Rai's defensive game. His skating is good, but not as OMGAWESOME as some folks are making it out to be.

I'm rooting for him, but some people are getting way too excited over his one overage season.

So since he would have been assigned to the Salmon Kings, he doesn't have a good shot at a career in the AHL?

right...
Posted Image

#38 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:47 PM

Small
Weak/mediocre skater
Skilled
Good hockey IQ

I thought Wellwood was a decent skater; he's pretty agile out there on the ice and has decent speed. I don't know anything about skating technicalities or the mechanics of it and I won't pretend to, but he gets around the ice well enough to do his job. If Tochkin turns out to be anything like Welly then this signing would be a huge success already, considering Tochkin went undrafted and we got him for free.
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#39 Verloren

Verloren

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 11:08 PM

I thought Wellwood was a decent skater; he's pretty agile out there on the ice and has decent speed. I don't know anything about skating technicalities or the mechanics of it and I won't pretend to, but he gets around the ice well enough to do his job. If Tochkin turns out to be anything like Welly then this signing would be a huge success already, considering Tochkin went undrafted and we got him for free.

So much of it is an illusion. Wellwood is paired with Raymond and Hansen, guys who I'd say are amongst the top 5 for speed on the team. It really makes him seem slow at times. He can accelerate and turn well. Sometimes I think he has an edge that allows him to glide for longer distances because his feet stop moving but he still gets to his end destination, albeit slower than his linemates.

#40 Trevor Presiloski

Trevor Presiloski

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 12:07 AM

So since he would have been assigned to the Salmon Kings, he doesn't have a good shot at a career in the AHL?

right...

Do you know the meaning of the word 'usually.'
Alive and well by the order of the Postmaster General.
The Internet Trashcan. My site. Perhaps you would like to see my etchings?
twitter.com/nettrashcan

#41 SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:04 AM

The Abbotsford News ran a story on WHL prospects that included this update:

• Kellan Tochkin, RW, Everett Silvertips - 1991

The small-but-skilled right winger signed a free-agent deal with the Vancouver Canucks in July of 2009. He's got 15 points in 20 games in his third full season with the Silvertips.

http://www.bclocalne.../109102659.html

Tochkin's 2nd in scoring on the Silvertips (after Maxwell with 23 points).

Here's his stats so far:

20 GP, 7 goals, 8 assists, 15 points, +4, 18 PIM

#42 The Situation

The Situation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:10 AM

His stats have not improved a whole lot in the past 3 seasons.
Posted Image

#43 b3.

b3.

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Assistant to Regional Manager
  • 26,532 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:39 PM

He got traded to Medicine Hat.

Check out his goal, #2.
http://whl.ca/video
Posted Image

#44 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:00 PM

He got traded to Medicine Hat.

Check out his goal, #2.
http://whl.ca/video

Worst. Backcheck. Ever.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#45 RogersArena

RogersArena

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:50 PM

Any updates on Tochkin since he got traded?

Posted Image

#46 b3.

b3.

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• 26,532 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:31 AM

I can't give you to much other than stats at the moment.

In three games with Medicine Hat he has four assists.
Posted Image

#47 RogersArena

RogersArena

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:18 AM

I can't give you to much other than stats at the moment.

In three games with Medicine Hat he has four assists.

That's great!
He was doing well before the trade as well if I'm not mistaken.

Posted Image

#48 b3.

b3.

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• 26,532 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:17 PM

He had 36 points in 38 games with Everett; 17 goals and 19 assists.
Posted Image

#49 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,377 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:03 PM

Kellan Tochkin scores in overtime as Tigers beat Rebels 5-4, take WHL series 4-1
12:35am
630 CHED Sports
4/17/2011

Kellan Tochkin scored at 9:32 of overtime Saturday to lift the Medicine Hat Tigers to a 5-4 series clinching win over the Red Deer Rebels in the Western Hockey League playoffs. The Rebels had control of the game when John Persson scored a power-play goal 2:21 into the third period to give the hosts a 4-1 lead. But the Tigers battled back with goals from Boston Leier, Linden Vey and Emerson Etem to force overtime. Cole Grbavac also scored for the Tigers, who won the best-of-seven Eastern Conference semifinal 4-1. Mathew Dumba, Byron Froese and Brett Ferguson scored the other Red Deer goals, while Dawson Guhle made 28 saves. Tyler Bunz turned aside 41 shots for Medicine Hat. (Red Deer Advocate, ph)

http://www.inews880....aspx?ID=1403438

Subbancopy.jpg

#50 BabychStache

BabychStache

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:57 PM

Watched him live a few times this year. He borders with my friends inlaws. Head on his shoulder, puts in the effort. Hardcore cardio guy. Promoted to play with Vey and Etem and looks great with those two. Uses his hockey smarts a lot from what i've seen. Solid d play, best positional fwd on his line.

Small. Looks small on the ice as well, plays pretty small as well.

HOWEVER i watched a game with Saskatoon where him and his linemates made Brayden Schenn look like a chump. Tochkin kept stick checking him at the blue line, it was awesome.

AHL ceiling imo though, if he bulks he could turn into a potential nhl journeyman.
Posted Image
Credit to Goaltenderinterference for the awesome Sig!

#51 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 02:48 PM

Looking forward to Tochkin joining our AHL affiliate.
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#52 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:13 AM

With the logjam at forward for the Wolves, I could see Tochkin starting in the ECHL but getting some callups throughout the year.

#53 CRAZY_4_NAZZY

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,796 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:21 AM

Tochkin has changed his game a bit, he added some fiestyness and bite to his game. I've noticed this past season he got in more frequent scuffles and tossed the mits quite a bit. His skill game is no question, but his ability to overcome the size issue and ability to contribute on a daily night is something to think about. Kellan is quite the forgotten prospect out of the bunch because he isn't absolutely stunning like some offensive guru's in Schroeder, Rodin etc. But Tochkins overall game has improved seeing how he can produce and add to a team if he isn't puttin gup the points.

Reminds me a lot of someone we dearly hate alot, ala Brad Marchand.

2moy3iq.png

#54 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:43 AM

Tochkin has changed his game a bit, he added some fiestyness and bite to his game. I've noticed this past season he got in more frequent scuffles and tossed the mits quite a bit. His skill game is no question, but his ability to overcome the size issue and ability to contribute on a daily night is something to think about. Kellan is quite the forgotten prospect out of the bunch because he isn't absolutely stunning like some offensive guru's in Schroeder, Rodin etc. But Tochkins overall game has improved seeing how he can produce and add to a team if he isn't puttin gup the points.

Reminds me a lot of someone we dearly hate alot, ala Brad Marchand.

Has he improved his skating, which I recall was one of the knocks on him? He could have a chance if he adds some decent two-way play to his game.

#55 CRAZY_4_NAZZY

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,796 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:21 PM

Has he improved his skating, which I recall was one of the knocks on him? He could have a chance if he adds some decent two-way play to his game.

Tochkin has to really do the things Marchand has done to sustain a job in the NHL for the future, his physical stature and height will always come into question but if Kellan can instill a great work ethic and ability to keep a fiesty game, he can be a very good player.

2moy3iq.png

#56 Barney Stinson

Barney Stinson

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,935 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:26 PM

Marchand is a GREAT skater where as Tochkin isn't, yet anyways
Posted Image
Sven Bärtschi watch: 0GP 0G 0A 0Pts

#57 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,445 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:16 PM

Brad Marchand has been a winner at every level he's played at.

In Juniors, Marchand won the QMJHL championship and the Memorial Cup with the Moncton Wildcats in 2006. He has two WJC gold medals, and played a huge role in 2008 where he scored the 1st goal and primarily assisted on the 2nd goal, as Canada defeated Sweden 3-2 in OT.

As you all know, Marchand had a huge game 7 of the 2011 SCF, with a primary assist on the 1st goal and scoring two goals of his own. He has one of the ugliest mugs in hockey and is a despised player in most cities, but this kid can play, and he knows what it takes to win. Doubt Tochkin will ever reach Marchand's level of play. When Marchand was Tochkin's age, he was everything that Tochkin is not right now.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#58 Ryan Kesler's Snipe

Ryan Kesler's Snipe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:47 AM

i didnt know who Tochkin was a month or so ago so i always traded him in NHL 11 :P
Posted Image In Hodgson we trust

In 2012, a hero will rise

Credit to Vintage Canuck for the sick sig!

#59 Barney Stinson

Barney Stinson

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,935 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:52 AM

Brad Marchand has been a winner at every level he's played at.

In Juniors, Marchand won the QMJHL championship and the Memorial Cup with the Moncton Wildcats in 2006. He has two WJC gold medals, and played a huge role in 2008 where he scored the 1st goal and primarily assisted on the 2nd goal, as Canada defeated Sweden 3-2 in OT.

As you all know, Marchand had a huge game 7 of the 2011 SCF, with a primary assist on the 1st goal and scoring two goals of his own. He has one of the ugliest mugs in hockey and is a despised player in most cities, but this kid can play, and he knows what it takes to win. Doubt Tochkin will ever reach Marchand's level of play. When Marchand was Tochkin's age, he was everything that Tochkin is not right now.

Yup, he will do absolutely EVERYTHING to win

And it shows
Posted Image
Sven Bärtschi watch: 0GP 0G 0A 0Pts

#60 BureisBest

BureisBest

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:23 AM

Tochkin has been traded from the Medicine Hat Tigers to the Prince Albert Raiders for James Bettauer and a 2013 6th rounder.

The Raiders (4-9-1-1) are last place in the East Division, while the Tigers (9-4) are 2nd place in the Central.

Tochkin will potentially be playing with 2011 1st round pick Mark McNeill (18th, Hawks).

This is the 2nd time Tochkin has been traded in his Major Jr. career.

Tochkin has 0 G, 8 A in 10 GP this year and is a - 2.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.