The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kellan Tochkin Talk

ilikecanucks

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Kellan Tochkin scores in overtime as Tigers beat Rebels 5-4, take WHL series 4-1

12:35am

630 CHED Sports

4/17/2011

Kellan Tochkin scored at 9:32 of overtime Saturday to lift the Medicine Hat Tigers to a 5-4 series clinching win over the Red Deer Rebels in the Western Hockey League playoffs. The Rebels had control of the game when John Persson scored a power-play goal 2:21 into the third period to give the hosts a 4-1 lead. But the Tigers battled back with goals from Boston Leier, Linden Vey and Emerson Etem to force overtime. Cole Grbavac also scored for the Tigers, who won the best-of-seven Eastern Conference semifinal 4-1. Mathew Dumba, Byron Froese and Brett Ferguson scored the other Red Deer goals, while Dawson Guhle made 28 saves. Tyler Bunz turned aside 41 shots for Medicine Hat. (Red Deer Advocate, ph)

Watched him live a few times this year. He borders with my friends inlaws. Head on his shoulder, puts in the effort. Hardcore cardio guy. Promoted to play with Vey and Etem and looks great with those two. Uses his hockey smarts a lot from what i've seen. Solid d play, best positional fwd on his line.

Small. Looks small on the ice as well, plays pretty small as well.

HOWEVER i watched a game with Saskatoon where him and his linemates made Brayden Schenn look like a chump. Tochkin kept stick checking him at the blue line, it was awesome.

AHL ceiling imo though, if he bulks he could turn into a potential nhl journeyman.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tochkin has changed his game a bit, he added some fiestyness and bite to his game. I've noticed this past season he got in more frequent scuffles and tossed the mits quite a bit. His skill game is no question, but his ability to overcome the size issue and ability to contribute on a daily night is something to think about. Kellan is quite the forgotten prospect out of the bunch because he isn't absolutely stunning like some offensive guru's in Schroeder, Rodin etc. But Tochkins overall game has improved seeing how he can produce and add to a team if he isn't puttin gup the points.

Reminds me a lot of someone we dearly hate alot, ala Brad Marchand.

• 2 weeks later...

Tochkin has changed his game a bit, he added some fiestyness and bite to his game. I've noticed this past season he got in more frequent scuffles and tossed the mits quite a bit. His skill game is no question, but his ability to overcome the size issue and ability to contribute on a daily night is something to think about. Kellan is quite the forgotten prospect out of the bunch because he isn't absolutely stunning like some offensive guru's in Schroeder, Rodin etc. But Tochkins overall game has improved seeing how he can produce and add to a team if he isn't puttin gup the points.

Reminds me a lot of someone we dearly hate alot, ala Brad Marchand.

Guest Dasein

Brad Marchand has been a winner at every level he's played at.

In Juniors, Marchand won the QMJHL championship and the Memorial Cup with the Moncton Wildcats in 2006. He has two WJC gold medals, and played a huge role in 2008 where he scored the 1st goal and primarily assisted on the 2nd goal, as Canada defeated Sweden 3-2 in OT.

As you all know, Marchand had a huge game 7 of the 2011 SCF, with a primary assist on the 1st goal and scoring two goals of his own. He has one of the ugliest mugs in hockey and is a despised player in most cities, but this kid can play, and he knows what it takes to win. Doubt Tochkin will ever reach Marchand's level of play. When Marchand was Tochkin's age, he was everything that Tochkin is not right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Brad Marchand has been a winner at every level he's played at.

In Juniors, Marchand won the QMJHL championship and the Memorial Cup with the Moncton Wildcats in 2006. He has two WJC gold medals, and played a huge role in 2008 where he scored the 1st goal and primarily assisted on the 2nd goal, as Canada defeated Sweden 3-2 in OT.

As you all know, Marchand had a huge game 7 of the 2011 SCF, with a primary assist on the 1st goal and scoring two goals of his own. He has one of the ugliest mugs in hockey and is a despised player in most cities, but this kid can play, and he knows what it takes to win. Doubt Tochkin will ever reach Marchand's level of play. When Marchand was Tochkin's age, he was everything that Tochkin is not right now.

• 2 months later...

Tochkin has been traded from the Medicine Hat Tigers to the Prince Albert Raiders for James Bettauer and a 2013 6th rounder.

The Raiders (4-9-1-1) are last place in the East Division, while the Tigers (9-4) are 2nd place in the Central.

Tochkin will potentially be playing with 2011 1st round pick Mark McNeill (18th, Hawks).

This is the 2nd time Tochkin has been traded in his Major Jr. career.

Tochkin has 0 G, 8 A in 10 GP this year and is a - 2.

Archived