990 replies to this topic

#31 Callicles

Callicles

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:47 PM

I really do. Dexter is easily the best written in my mind. Last season was fantastic. The third season dipped a tiny bit. But I have yet to see any show that even comes close to touching season one and season 4. Son's of Anarchy is great but it's a blatant rip off of the soprano's. Breaking Bad is Fantastic. But they don't know how to write a season. They leave too many threads open and don't know where the show is actually supposed to go yet. It's as if they are writing the show as they go. The real magic of Dexter is that if they said ok that is the last season. They make it its own capsule. You feel quite satisfied as they have managed to tie the season up in a nice bow. There is another show that managed to do this as well and that is Sleeper Cell first season.

Agree with all of this. Dexter is still about the best series on TV, though Breaking Bad is wonderfully acted, but not as well written (in my not so humble opinion). SOA is great - I wish I could get it some other way than subscribing to Superchannel or downloading it) -- though it was getting a little lame at the end of last season. Like Walt and Jesse, some of the SOA gang needs to improve their criminaling skills...they have very short attention spans. But, great shows, head and shoulders above almost anything else on TV these days.

"The first man who, having enclosed a piece of land, thought of saying, This is mine, and found people simple enough to believe him, was the true founder of civil society."

#32 S.Mouse!

S.Mouse!

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:48 PM

Similar, yes. However, BB is the far superor show. Weeds is also more of a comedy. This is seriously the greatest show on TV since The Sopranos and The Wire IMO,

Well said.
I enjoyed Weeds early on, but I never felt emotionally invested in it, it was just a good laugh.
B.B. is probably my favorite show ever, besides maybe The Sopranos, and I'm on pins n' needles all week waiting to see what happens next. Epic T.V.
Posted Image

#33 The Alchemist

The Alchemist

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:11 AM

Similar, yes. However, BB is the far superor show. Weeds is also more of a comedy. This is seriously the greatest show on TV since The Sopranos and The Wire IMO,

check out The Shield. imo its the only show even close to The Wire.
Posted Image

#34 AL Nite Long

AL Nite Long

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:24 AM

check out The Shield. imo its the only show even close to The Wire.

LOVED!!! The Shield. The last episode was sad.

AMC has really shown they can put out some great fun shows like Breaking Bad and Mad Men.
Posted Image

#35 Jokinen21

Jokinen21

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:17 PM

Never watched this show before, but I just saw the commercial on AMC. Looks like a good show, what times does it come on?

#36 S.Mouse!

S.Mouse!

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:23 PM

Never watched this show before, but I just saw the commercial on AMC. Looks like a good show, what times does it come on?

Sunday nights, it's on at 7 and again at 10.

I would recommend downloading the first 2 seasons first though, rather than jumping in at this point.

Next weeks episode is going to be awesome. Looks like the whole game will change!

LOVED!!! The Shield. The last episode was sad.

The ending of The Shield was great. I actually think the end of Breaking Bad will be similar, with the characters you come to are about realizing their worlds have totally fallen apart and nobody ending up a winner.

Edited by GreenMan420, 02 April 2010 - 03:27 PM.

Posted Image

#37 blister soul

blister soul

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,034 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:05 PM

What a great episode. That first part was pretty brutal. Wouldn't Walter's house have more than one bathroom though? Especially since the one he wanted to use was in the bedroom. :blink: Or was it more to prove a point?
“Reason is itself a matter of faith. It is an act of faith to assert that our thoughts have any relation to reality at all.” - G.K. Chesterton

“Unbelief is as much of a choice as belief is. What makes it in many ways more appealing is that whereas to believe in something requires some measure of understanding and effort, not to believe doesn't require much of anything at all.” - Frederick Buechner

“All human nature vigorously resists grace because grace changes us and the change is painful.” - Flannery O'Connor

“My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust?” - C.S. Lewis

#38 Harbinger

Harbinger

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,198 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:36 PM

What a great episode. That first part was pretty brutal. Wouldn't Walter's house have more than one bathroom though? Especially since the one he wanted to use was in the bedroom. :blink: Or was it more to prove a point?

Great Episode? I felt like I wasted an hour watching that one. All it did was tell you everything you already knew before over again. That episode didn't do anything to further the story. You were in exactly the same spot you were in at the end of last episode. You know nothing more and and the story didn't progress. Complete garbage. I really hope next weeks makes up for this one.

Posted Image

#39 blister soul

blister soul

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,034 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:34 PM

Great Episode? I felt like I wasted an hour watching that one. All it did was tell you everything you already knew before over again. That episode didn't do anything to further the story. You were in exactly the same spot you were in at the end of last episode. You know nothing more and and the story didn't progress. Complete garbage. I really hope next weeks makes up for this one.

"Great episode" is kind of the generic thing to say when it comes to a show like "Breaking Bad". I still thought it was good. Skylar told her lawyer than Walt manufactures meth, Hank beat up two criminals, the drug lords meet to discuss Walt's fate while he tries to live a normal life at home with his family.
“Reason is itself a matter of faith. It is an act of faith to assert that our thoughts have any relation to reality at all.” - G.K. Chesterton

“Unbelief is as much of a choice as belief is. What makes it in many ways more appealing is that whereas to believe in something requires some measure of understanding and effort, not to believe doesn't require much of anything at all.” - Frederick Buechner

“All human nature vigorously resists grace because grace changes us and the change is painful.” - Flannery O'Connor

“My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust?” - C.S. Lewis

#40 S.Mouse!

S.Mouse!

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:58 AM

It wasn't as good as most, but it did set up a lot of storylines for the rest of the season.

Jesse is cooking, and could go into meltdown mode.
The situation with Tio and The Cousins was clarified a bit... Gus bought Walt a bit more time.
Hank was excited to go back to El Paso, but then had a panic attack and got himself in trouble (probably) by fighting the guys in the bar.
We saw how Tortuga died, and met a new character (the cartel boss).
Skyler finally banged her boss and threw it in Walt's face.

It was basically intended to lay the foundation for the next few weeks, and did a good job getting me psyched to see what happens next.
Posted Image

#41 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,767 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:16 PM

skylar at the end was hilarious

Edited by key2thecup, 05 April 2010 - 01:16 PM.

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#42 The Alchemist

The Alchemist

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:31 AM

how many shows could give that little screen time to the star and still have a great episode?

i'm really interested to see where they go with jessie.
Posted Image

#43 Harbinger

Harbinger

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,198 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:46 PM

I don't know what's going on with the show writers but they really need to take a good look in the mirror and get their acts together. The show is turning into a soap opera and it's losing it's appeal. Hopefully they turn this around.

Posted Image

#44 Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,014 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:23 AM

I don't know what's going on with the show writers but they really need to take a good look in the mirror and get their acts together. The show is turning into a soap opera and it's losing it's appeal. Hopefully they turn this around.

Couldn't disagree more. IMO, this has been the best start to a season yet. So many "what the hell's gonna happen next"'s.

Soap opera.... come on, dude. I know you like to be the outsider but this is so off-base.

Edited by Raoul Duke, 12 April 2010 - 12:24 AM.

Kershaw_zps0cb5a848.jpg

#45 Harbinger

Harbinger

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,198 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:58 AM

Couldn't disagree more. IMO, this has been the best start to a season yet. So many "what the hell's gonna happen next"'s.

Soap opera.... come on, dude. I know you like to be the outsider but this is so off-base.

I really loved the show up until this season. Now it's turning into a complete bore fest. There isn't one "what the hell is gonna happen next" that has any drawing power for me. The whole family part of the show is becoming the show. I don't watch breaking bad for the family aspect of the show. I watch it because of the premise of a chemistry teacher who is a Meth producer. And the soap opera part is not off base. It's exactly on base.

Posted Image

#46 S.Mouse!

S.Mouse!

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:39 AM

I really loved the show up until this season. Now it's turning into a complete bore fest. There isn't one "what the hell is gonna happen next" that has any drawing power for me. The whole family part of the show is becoming the show. I don't watch breaking bad for the family aspect of the show. I watch it because of the premise of a chemistry teacher who is a Meth producer. And the soap opera part is not off base. It's exactly on base.

The family dynamic has always been important. That was his motivation for every bad thing he has done.

Now that the family is imploding, he is gearing up for his biggest meltdown ever, and he is going to take his evil side to a whole new level.

I like the fact that they are taking time developing the storyline, instead of rushing into it. Be patient and you will be rewarded.
Posted Image

#47 The Alchemist

The Alchemist

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 03:51 PM

walt's family has always been an important part of the show. its the whole reason he started cooking meth in the first place. without his family, this show wouldnt exist.

the premise of this show goes deeper than just a chem teacher selling meth. its about a the decisions walt makes and how they affect the people around him. the writers have done a great job of showing how walts decision to start cooking has had a negative impact on so many people.

i really dont know how you can call this show a soap opera. you dont seem to be very good at understanding good television.

Edited by The Alchemist, 17 April 2010 - 03:52 PM.

Posted Image

#48 blister soul

blister soul

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,034 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:54 PM

I thought this last episode was the best one of this season thus far. I loved Hank's expression at the very end.

#49 Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,014 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:53 AM

The first part of tonight's episode.... meh.

The last half.... EPIC!! Holy intense!! Best show on TV today hands down!! Won't give anything away just in case, but like blister soul said, Hank's expression at the end was NUTS!!

Kershaw_zps0cb5a848.jpg

#50 Thrill-House

Thrill-House

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:26 AM

just finished season 1, love it.
thanks CDC!
Posted Image

#51 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 11:07 PM

Unlike any other show, Breaking Bad does an excellent job of not romanticizing drug dealing. I also find that the only character I consistently like is Hank.

It has been interesting to watch Walt go from manufacturing meth purely for his family, to actually caring about his 'product' and getting so upset when Jesse was selling it. I find it great that I enjoy this show so much, despite not having much empathy for the protagonist. As a person, I really don't care for Walt. I don't like Skylar either, and while I find myself rooting for Jesse, he just screws up over and over again. Yet I love the show. Go figure.

Edited by Down by the River, 01 May 2010 - 12:33 AM.

CDC is lucky to have such brilliant scouts:

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#52 Jigamane

Jigamane

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:04 AM

Unlike any other show, Breaking Bad does an excellent job of not romanticizing drug dealing. I also find that the only character I consistently like is Hank. It has been interesting to watch Hank go from manufacturing meth purely for his family, to actually caring about his 'product' and getting so upset when Jesse was selling it.

I find it great that I enjoy this show so much, despite not having much empathy for the protagonist. As a person, I really don't care for Walt. I don't like Skylar either, and while I find myself rooting for Jesse, he just screws up over and over again. Yet I love the show. Go figure.

You mean Walter? Hank is the DEA agent and Walters brother in-law.

Posted Image
thanks to thepuckmonster of HFBoards for the avatar

#53 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:33 AM

You mean Walter? Hank is the DEA agent and Walters brother in-law.

No I meant Hank, I just didn't organize my thoughts very well. I don't really like Walter.

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

#54 Jigamane

Jigamane

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 10:13 AM

No I meant Hank, I just didn't organize my thoughts very well. I don't really like Walter.

ahh okay.. I like hank too because of his humorous personality especially in his line of work, it helps ease everyone at work. :D

Posted Image
thanks to thepuckmonster of HFBoards for the avatar

#55 blister soul

blister soul

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,034 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:12 PM

Wow, that was an intense episode, especially the last 10 minutes.

Spoiler

#56 MK.Dub

MK.Dub

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 10:03 PM

Tonight was the Best BB episode.

#57 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 10:56 PM

Intense episode.

Spoiler

#58 blister soul

blister soul

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,034 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 11:16 PM

Spoiler

#59 Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,014 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:48 AM

All I have to say his WOW! So, who was it on the phone??

Kershaw_zps0cb5a848.jpg

#60 The Alchemist

The Alchemist

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 02:07 AM

All I have to say his WOW! So, who was it on the phone??

had to be gus. no clue how he would know that they were a minute away though.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.