The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Breaking Bad

G.K. Chesterton

I really do. Dexter is easily the best written in my mind. Last season was fantastic. The third season dipped a tiny bit. But I have yet to see any show that even comes close to touching season one and season 4. Son's of Anarchy is great but it's a blatant rip off of the soprano's. Breaking Bad is Fantastic. But they don't know how to write a season. They leave too many threads open and don't know where the show is actually supposed to go yet. It's as if they are writing the show as they go. The real magic of Dexter is that if they said ok that is the last season. They make it its own capsule. You feel quite satisfied as they have managed to tie the season up in a nice bow. There is another show that managed to do this as well and that is Sleeper Cell first season.

this is exactly what dexter does and its the number one reason why i put it behind better written shows like Breaking Bad and SoA.

also some examples of Breaking Bad leaving a thread open?

this is exactly what dexter does and its the number one reason why i put it behind better written shows like Breaking Bad and SoA.

also some examples of Breaking Bad leaving a thread open?

Dexter was an adaptation of a set of books. They knew where it was going because it was clearly laid out in the novels.

http://www.amazon.ca...y/dp/1400095921

Some threads being left open. Sure.

The way they buried the gun without wiping it down. It was clearly left as an opening in case they have problems with story lines.

The whole CIA on the border head exploding in the second season. It didn't do anything for the story. It looks like they were going to go somewhere with it then changed their minds.

Everyone thinking Jesse had killed the guy and getting street cred but somehow the cops don't hear about that or question him about it?

Dexter was an adaptation of a set of books.

http://www.amazon.ca/Dearly-Devoted-Dexter-Jeff-Lindsay/dp/1400095921

i know, but correct me if i'm wrong the writers have strayed further and further away from the books as the series has gone on.

here is a interview with the Dexter showrunner.

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/12/13/dexter-season-5-finale-postmortem/

When was the decision made to kill off Rita?

PHILLIPS: I would say we made the decision pretty late in the season. We didn’t quite know what we were going to do [in the finale].

Why Rita?

PHILLIPS: The story evolved and it kind of became inevitable. We knew that we had to do more than kill Trinity. It’s a little bit of a corner that we paint ourselves into. Last year we tried to avoid that and actually I think we didn’t do as well as we could have. We killed off Jimmy Smits’ character [in the 11th episode] of 12 episodes and then we had to figure out what we were going to do in the 12th episode. This season, we knew that we were going to take Trinity out in the 12th episode and we think that the audience knew that, too. We had to raise the bar to as high as possible and then figure out what to do next year.

thats exactly the type of stuff i'm talking about. i can guarantee you that Vince Gilligan (showrunner for Breaking Bad) and Kurt Sutter (showrunner for SoA) do not start a season without knowing how it ends.

i know, but correct me if i'm wrong the writers have strayed further and further away from the books as the series has gone on.

here is a interview with the Dexter showrunner.

http://ausiellofiles...ale-postmortem/

When was the decision made to kill off Rita?

PHILLIPS: I would say we made the decision pretty late in the season. We didn't quite know what we were going to do [in the finale].

Why Rita?

PHILLIPS: The story evolved and it kind of became inevitable. We knew that we had to do more than kill Trinity. It's a little bit of a corner that we paint ourselves into. Last year we tried to avoid that and actually I think we didn't do as well as we could have. We killed off Jimmy Smits' character [in the 11th episode] of 12 episodes and then we had to figure out what we were going to do in the 12th episode. This season, we knew that we were going to take Trinity out in the 12th episode and we think that the audience knew that, too. We had to raise the bar to as high as possible and then figure out what to do next year.

thats exactly the type of stuff i'm talking about. i can guarantee you that Vince Gilligan (showrunner for Breaking Bad) and Kurt Sutter (showrunner for SoA) do not start a season without knowing how it ends.

Killing Rita was unexpected. But it's also not following the books anymore because there are no books left to go from. The 4th season was one of the best which shows just how good the writers really are. They knew what the audience expected. They gave it to them. Then figured they had to give something else. Which they did.

Sons of Anarchy may have literally had the worst season finale I have ever seen in any show in season two. Not that I won't watch season 3 since I completely love the show. One terrible episode is not changing my mind. I literally found myself not caring about the finale as soon as they didn't kill the guy in the store. If they had planned that to be the ending at the beginning of the season. They may want to rethink what they are doing. Like I said anyways. It's a rip off of the sopranos but they did a good job of ripping it off and I'm ok with that.

Couple of other shows.

Rome. Crazy good.

Spartacus. Started off terrible. Really has legs now.

I'm probably never going to watch it but from what I've seen from the commercials "Weeds" sounds a little bit like "Breaking Bad".

Forgot about that show. Yes, nearly the same premise. Right down to having a DEA agent in the family.

I haven't seen Weeds either, but one of my friends really likes it so maybe I will give it a shot one day.

Weeds was good for the first 3 seasons, but it has really been bad the last couple of years. Probably should have wrapped it up after season 4, the storylines have gotten ridiculous.

Some threads being left open. Sure.

The way they buried the gun without wiping it down. It was clearly left as an opening in case they have problems with story lines.

The whole CIA on the border head exploding in the second season. It didn't do anything for the story. It looks like they were going to go somewhere with it then changed their minds.

Everyone thinking Jesse had killed the guy and getting street cred but somehow the cops don't hear about that or question him about it?

I think the writers strike in season 1 had a lot to do with those angles being cut short.

They had to wrap up the Tuco storyline in season 2, and probably had to abandon some other stuff they wanted to do. It will be great to see what they do with a full season this year.

I'm probably never going to watch it but from what I've seen from the commercials "Weeds" sounds a little bit like "Breaking Bad".

Similar, yes. However, BB is the far superor show. Weeds is also more of a comedy. This is seriously the greatest show on TV since The Sopranos and The Wire IMO,

I really do. Dexter is easily the best written in my mind. Last season was fantastic. The third season dipped a tiny bit. But I have yet to see any show that even comes close to touching season one and season 4. Son's of Anarchy is great but it's a blatant rip off of the soprano's. Breaking Bad is Fantastic. But they don't know how to write a season. They leave too many threads open and don't know where the show is actually supposed to go yet. It's as if they are writing the show as they go. The real magic of Dexter is that if they said ok that is the last season. They make it its own capsule. You feel quite satisfied as they have managed to tie the season up in a nice bow. There is another show that managed to do this as well and that is Sleeper Cell first season.

Agree with all of this. Dexter is still about the best series on TV, though Breaking Bad is wonderfully acted, but not as well written (in my not so humble opinion). SOA is great - I wish I could get it some other way than subscribing to Superchannel or downloading it) -- though it was getting a little lame at the end of last season. Like Walt and Jesse, some of the SOA gang needs to improve their criminaling skills...they have very short attention spans. But, great shows, head and shoulders above almost anything else on TV these days.

Similar, yes. However, BB is the far superor show. Weeds is also more of a comedy. This is seriously the greatest show on TV since The Sopranos and The Wire IMO,

Well said.

I enjoyed Weeds early on, but I never felt emotionally invested in it, it was just a good laugh.

B.B. is probably my favorite show ever, besides maybe The Sopranos, and I'm on pins n' needles all week waiting to see what happens next. Epic T.V.

Never watched this show before, but I just saw the commercial on AMC. Looks like a good show, what times does it come on?

Sunday nights, it's on at 7 and again at 10.

I would recommend downloading the first 2 seasons first though, rather than jumping in at this point.

Next weeks episode is going to be awesome. Looks like the whole game will change!

LOVED!!! The Shield. The last episode was sad.

The ending of The Shield was great. I actually think the end of Breaking Bad will be similar, with the characters you come to are about realizing their worlds have totally fallen apart and nobody ending up a winner.

What a great episode. That first part was pretty brutal. Wouldn't Walter's house have more than one bathroom though? Especially since the one he wanted to use was in the bedroom. :blink: Or was it more to prove a point?

Great Episode? I felt like I wasted an hour watching that one. All it did was tell you everything you already knew before over again. That episode didn't do anything to further the story. You were in exactly the same spot you were in at the end of last episode. You know nothing more and and the story didn't progress. Complete garbage. I really hope next weeks makes up for this one.

Great Episode? I felt like I wasted an hour watching that one. All it did was tell you everything you already knew before over again. That episode didn't do anything to further the story. You were in exactly the same spot you were in at the end of last episode. You know nothing more and and the story didn't progress. Complete garbage. I really hope next weeks makes up for this one.

"Great episode" is kind of the generic thing to say when it comes to a show like "Breaking Bad". I still thought it was good. Skylar told her lawyer than Walt manufactures meth, Hank beat up two criminals, the drug lords meet to discuss Walt's fate while he tries to live a normal life at home with his family.

It wasn't as good as most, but it did set up a lot of storylines for the rest of the season.

Jesse is cooking, and could go into meltdown mode.

The situation with Tio and The Cousins was clarified a bit... Gus bought Walt a bit more time.

Hank was excited to go back to El Paso, but then had a panic attack and got himself in trouble (probably) by fighting the guys in the bar.

We saw how Tortuga died, and met a new character (the cartel boss).

Skyler finally banged her boss and threw it in Walt's face.

It was basically intended to lay the foundation for the next few weeks, and did a good job getting me psyched to see what happens next.

Archived