The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kentucky Derby

bleednucksblue

Lookin At Lucky is currently the odds on favorite at about 3-1 (3 races, 2 firsts and a third place finish)...

I would choose Sidney's Candy as he is currently 5-1 and is the second favorite right now (3 races, all first place finishes).

Dublin at 12-1 could also be a dark horse (2 seconds and a third).

Ice box currently at 10-1 odds (2 first place finishes and a 5th)...

I do a little gambling during the summers at my local track (Emerald Downs in Auburn, WA), so I'm no expert...But I would say that any of these four will have a good chance at winning it.

Edit: Remember though that their are 20 horses slated to start, it can become quite chaotic at some points of the race. Mine That Bird was last year's winner and was a 50-1 long shot! Anything can happen and sometimes it is worth it to put a little money on a long shot

If I were to place a bet it would be on Super Saver (14/1) or Devil May Care (12/1)

Devil May Care might be a bit of a risky bet though, as it's a female horse that's never run against males before. Quite an interesting story behind it. If it were to win it would be the fourth female to ever do so.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Devil+Care+aims+rare+Derby+feat/2955830/story.html

My picks are actually looking quite good. Super saver is down to 7/1, and devil may care is currently at 11/1, but when you take into account that it's one of only three horses that have won on a sloppy track it seems like a decent bet.

EDIT: Turns out that Super Saver has also won on a sloppy tack. Sweet.

Personally, I love horse racing. Back in the day...like the 20s or 30s horse racing was the biggest sport going.

Unfortuately there is only standardbreds which run only about 12 times here on the island. Learned to gamble at the track when I was about 10. I'd be the only kid in the betting line. Funny, no one ever said anything! They'd take anyones money! Good memories at the track... ;)

Anyway...great race from Borel and Super Saver today. Nice job Scottish-Canuck today. And how about the guy who made the $100000 bet. Apparently he won a contest to make a dream bet and he chose to place it at the Kentucky Derby...pretty ballsy to bet $100000 on a horse in a deep field like that! Won something like $900000...how effing exciting would that be!

• 2 years later...

I LOVE horse racing (have family in the business and grew up at the track). We have a track here in Vancouver, Scotty (and a harness track in nearby Cloverdale). I may go catch the action from Hastings Park.

This year there's a local connection as our best jockey from Hastings is actually riding in the KD!! Mario Gutierez is one of my favourite jockeys (next to Pedro Alvarado), so I'll be cheering for him all the way. His would be a rags to riches story (as below).

Go "I'll Have Another"

http://www.vancouver...7907/story.html

I LOVE horse racing (have family in the business and grew up at the track). We have a track here in Vancouver, Scotty (and a harness track in nearby Cloverdale). I may go catch the action from Hastings Park.

This year there's a local connection as our best jockey from Hastings is actually riding in the KD!! Mario is one of my favourite jockeys (next to Pedro Alvarado), so I'll be cheering for him all the way. His would be a rags to riches story (as below).

Go "I'll Have Another"

http://www.vancouver...7907/story.html

:)

This pick of mine is based solely on loyalty to a jockey who's won me some money and is locally based. He is top notch so, if it's a decent mount, he absolutely has the potential to do this. But probably not he safest bet. :)

Just watching the pre race coverage. Gotta say the Union Rags story is a great one....woman who battled back from a broken neck in a head on, goes on to breed horses, sells one of the colts from her farm for $145,000 then misses him and says she has to get him back. Goes to auction and pays $390,000 to get Union Rags (who appeared thrilled to go "home"...rolling around in the dirt blissfully). Love that story.

Stephen Colbert's going with Alpha. Because it reminds him of him.

Charles Barkley: Rousing Sermon (didn't catch his reasoning)

Joan Rivers: Done Talking (we wish?)

Jack Black's got my favourite: I'll Have Another

Record crowd of 165,307 in attendance

I wouldn't be sad if Union Rags took it, but really pulling for Mario and got a little teary in just watching him do his introduction. Go Mario!!

Archived