The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kentucky Derby

bleednucksblue

I too bet on I'll Have Another and Mario to win for the same reasons, just the local connection. So great to cheer for such an amazing finish! The payout is quite good, but the race itself was just simply fantastic.

Kentucky-Derby-2012.JPG

Mario Gutierrez, who trained at Hastings Racetrack in Vancouver for six years, has won the 2012 Kentucky Derby.

Gutierrez was riding I'll Have Another.

He is originally from Mexico, and took the racing scene in Vancouver by storm, before moving to California.

He gave a big shout out to Hastings race course and Vancouver after he won, saying 'Vancouver has been so supportive.'

It was Gutierrez's first time and win in the Derby, and it is I'll Have Another's owner and trainer's first win as well.

• 11 months later...

Just watching the pre race coverage. Gotta say the Union Rags story is a great one....woman who battled back from a broken neck in a head on, goes on to breed horses, sells one of the colts from her farm for $145,000 then misses him and says she has to get him back. Goes to auction and pays $390,000 to get Union Rags (who appeared thrilled to go "home"...rolling around in the dirt blissfully). Love that story.

Stephen Colbert's going with Alpha. Because it reminds him of him.

Charles Barkley: Rousing Sermon (didn't catch his reasoning)

Joan Rivers: Done Talking (we wish?)

Jack Black's got my favourite: I'll Have Another

Record crowd of 165,307 in attendance

I wouldn't be sad if Union Rags took it, but really pulling for Mario and got a little teary in just watching him do his introduction. Go Mario!!

I'm going right off the board for Oxbow or It's My Lucky Day.

(ha, I picked these yesterday, before people started betting and IMLD was about 50-1...is now sitting at 8-1...Oxbow too. See the #1 is scratched, putting Oxbow on the rail now)

Archived