The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mason Raymond...how much to re-sign?

ratattack

I know Healey said tonight that he thought Raymond would get 3 mill per season. What do you guys think it will take to re-sign him? How long? Can we afford him?

Personally, if he'd take 3 per year I'd sign him for as long as possible.

I think he could lite the lamp for years to come. Demitra's salary is gone but quickly eaten up by Kesler and Raymond. If Raymond would do 15 over 5 I have little doubt that Nuck's management would be the winners. Sure he's only had one solid year but this player could dominate this league for a long time.....nice work Nonis...or Gillis for re-signing.

You have to assume that Demo is gone next year. IMO Raymond will score 35 goals next year and with his speed could get as many assists. The thing I like most about his improvement this year is his physical play. He actually works the boards now rather than fall down on a shove. Expect another jump in his overall effectiveness next year. Hard to believe that 3 years ago I thought the Canucks had ruined his career by throwing him into the NHL without proper development.

Just like other posters have already stated... 2.5 mil would be a fair offer for him.

But if he needs 3-3.5 to reamin a Canuck, give it to him. He improves every year and now is not the time to let him go.

His effort against Sopel in setting up the Ehrhoff goal is a clear indication that this guy wants to be a successful player in the NHL. He has the skillset, and we see him strengthen his weak points a little bit each offseason.

Luckily, Gillis knows this [speculation, how couldn't he?], and we'll see him in the lineup next year.

Nothing over 2.5 million.

Hopefully he signs at around 2.25. When this guy gets his confidence going (right now) he looks great, but when he's not rolling, it's really frustrating to watch him.

Also, he's a RFA, not a UFA, so the Canucks have a bit of an upper hand.

I wouldn't mind if somebody gave him an offersheet and we got a 1st and a 3rd, because we're missing a 2nd and a 3rd in next year's draft.

I think they should just do a 1 year arbitration thing, where he'll likely get about 2.25M. That way he has to have another good season before he gets his long term deal.

As a comparison, Jiri Hudler put up 23 goals and 57 points last year, very close to what Raymond put up this year. He was also near the same age, but a bit older then Raymond. One difference though is that Hudler had a 42 point season that preceded it, whereas Raymond only a 21. Hudler in arbitration was given 2 yrs/5.75M or 2.875M per season.

I think $2.5 million gets it done, but I'd go up to $3 million if need be. I don't see him getting more than that, as he is an RFA and fairly early in his career. A three year term would be best, but somehow I think he'll only get two years.

Either way, Raymond needs to be here next season, he's starting to break out and if he continus along this road he would give our offense a whole new dimension that would help push us to elite team status.

Archived