The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mason Raymond...how much to re-sign?

ratattack

Let me first make it clear that I am a big fan of Mason Raymond, and have been for a couple of years. I'm glad his hands and head have caught up to his feet. With that said...

If he isn't going to take a 2 year $4.5M-$5M contract, MG should trade him. It's only going to take a couple of years for a few of our young guys to catch up to Mason and make his place on this team redundant. He's a great player with some terrific upside to him, but his place on this team is threatened by other players of equal skill that are coming up through the system. I still think we need him here for the next two years, but beyond that he won't be as useful as he is now.

I suggest we trade him rather than let him sign with another team. I realize that we would get some picks back for him if he does sign, but that won't solve the issue of needing his skillset (or a similar skillset) in the next couple of years.

With all that said, I think it's likely he will sign a 2 year deal for $4.75M and then he will sign with another team after that.

2yr @ 2.5m/yr(ish) without a NMC/NTC. This way his contract is up the same time as Samuelsson. We can then choose to lock up one or the other (unlikely we can afford both) and by then some of our younger talent should be getting ready to slide in and take over roles for cheap. He's also viable trade bait if he takes a step back, some up and comer outplays him or we have a gap on defense that we need to fill.

Along the lines others have stated, anything over 2.5mil is too much. This is NOT the Islanders/Panthers where our players can afford to have inflated contracts. Vancouver is a team that has to play it so close to the cap its not even funny.

With that said, if he stays, 2 years at 2.5 I am ok with. I would RATHER it be at 2mil. Heck, I would RATHER him be traded for a good/young D-man.

We have prospects chomping at the bit to take over Raymonds spot. And most of them have had equal, or more illustrious, jr careers than Raymond did.

- Hodgson

- Schroeder

- Grabner

- Shirokov

- Rai

- Rodin

- I guess even Tochkin

In a couple of years Raymond's role could most likely be taken by any one of those above players.

Right now, I just hope he scores some more goals in these playoffs to boost his trade value. A talented/large/young D-man will be far more valuable to this team than Raymond will be.

Along the lines others have stated, anything over 2.5mil is too much. This is NOT the Islanders/Panthers where our players can afford to have inflated contracts. Vancouver is a team that has to play it so close to the cap its not even funny.

With that said, if he stays, 2 years at 2.5 I am ok with. I would RATHER it be at 2mil. Heck, I would RATHER him be traded for a good/young D-man.

We have prospects chomping at the bit to take over Raymonds spot. And most of them have had equal, or more illustrious, jr careers than Raymond did.

- Hodgson

- Schroeder

- Grabner

- Shirokov

- Rai

- Rodin

- I guess even Tochkin

In a couple of years Raymond's role could most likely be taken by any one of those above players.

Right now, I just hope he scores some more goals in these playoffs to boost his trade value. A talented/large/young D-man will be far more valuable to this team than Raymond will be.

- Hodgson

- Schroeder

- Grabner

- Shirokov

- Rai

- Rodin

- I guess even Tochkin

It will be impossible to keep him for under 3 million dollars. This is probably the number Raymond is going to stick to no matter what. Unless Gillis decides to invest in him and goes 2.5 for 6 years or something, it's not happening. If you think he's gonna take a 2 million dollar salary, dream on.

Gillis is not God, he just won the jackpot with Burrows. We can only hope that our team's success can be some sort of factor in getting a discount.

I hope he can sign for more. But less than he could actually get. We need our players to take a minor pay cut if they wanna win cups still. This is the greatest team to be a part of. I hope the guys can keep it that way. No better way to make a name than to win some Lord Stanleys you know. This is Canuck Nation retiring to eat something and do laundry before the game though. I can't wait to see you guys at the game. Wooooooooo!!!! *dances around like Kesler*

Some of you fcking doorknobs need to realise Raymond plays for the Canucks, not the Florida Panthers.

3+MILL ? are you serious?!

This team has more depth now than it has had in 30 years and you wanna pay a guy who just followed up a pair of 20 point seasons with one good year - that kind of money... on THIS team?

You're fcken crazy... with guys like Schroeder and Hodgson waiting on the sidelines.... I like Mase but... rolleyes.gif

I know Healey said tonight that he thought Raymond would get 3 mill per season. What do you guys think it will take to re-sign him? How long? Can we afford him?

Personally, if he'd take 3 per year I'd sign him for as long as possible.

Archived