The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mason Raymond...how much to re-sign?

ratattack

It will be impossible to keep him for under 3 million dollars. This is probably the number Raymond is going to stick to no matter what. Unless Gillis decides to invest in him and goes 2.5 for 6 years or something, it's not happening. If you think he's gonna take a 2 million dollar salary, dream on.

Gillis is not God, he just won the jackpot with Burrows. We can only hope that our team's success can be some sort of factor in getting a discount.

Because players are getting bigger and bigger every year and I believe that it would help if we go deep into the playoffs also a big body in front of the net would be nice and having a little more size and power in order to drive to the net would be nice in my opinion.

:S

why do we need someone bigger & more durable?

Raymond has shown that he can make hits as well as any forward on the roster, and his size hasn't prevented him going forward and being a serious threat. He's played on every line this season and pretty much impressed 90% of the time. I CBA to check, but he hasn't missed any games from injury this year either, so I don't know how much much durable you want him to be.....?

Well, compare what we're getting out of Samuelsson for 2.5 (who is, in hindsight, a STEAL now)

Anyways, 2.5 for 3 years seems like the most common thoughts (I think a 2, 2.5, 3 contract makes sense). Having said that, prepare for 2.75-3.25 based on how he let Kesler's agent rip us off...

Stupid agents...

As far as the "10 mil to resign Raymond, Mitchell, etc" goes, Mitchell is done... sorry guys...

I hope Lukowich comes back as a 6th/7th...

Sign him for around 1.7m for a year, and offer .5 in incentives.

Theres so many times where Raymond uses his speed and gets to puck, but doesn't know what to do with it. Let him develop and resign him for a longer term when his hands can keep up with his feet.

Don't get me wrong, I really do like Raymond. I just don't want to overpay, that's all.

As for the Quotes, I dunno, I just type at the top out of habit.

Yeah, but you can tell how this overdrive on scoring is working out for us. If we go for a 3 million dollar player with size, he's either going to have hands of stone, be an old man, or he'll still be too unpredictable.

Just a side question, why do you put the quotes on the bottom?

Losing him would be the biggest blunders in the foreseeable furture for the canucks.

Trust me, in a few years this guy is going to be on par with mike cammalleri and zach parise.

Pay him what ever you choose, just keep him here.

It will be impossible to keep him for under 3 million dollars. This is probably the number Raymond is going to stick to no matter what. Unless Gillis decides to invest in him and goes 2.5 for 6 years or something, it's not happening. If you think he's gonna take a 2 million dollar salary, dream on.

Gillis is not God, he just won the jackpot with Burrows. We can only hope that our team's success can be some sort of factor in getting a discount.

Thank you Nickerson. Only post in this thread that explains the reasoning behind the dollar figure.

Two years/$5m, $2.5m cap hit, after which point we can choose to trade him should one of Schroeder/Grabner/Rodin show the capability of replicating Raymond's success at a much more reasonable cap hit than the $5m he'll likely garner in 2012/2013.

I think he could get 3M/yr mid length contract in Open market. I don't think Raymond would sign more than 3 years with the Canucks. He's got too much upside so I think a re-signing would be ~2 years, The Canucks are probably looking at ~ 2.25-2.75/yr.

Archived