The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mason Raymond...how much to re-sign?

ratattack

If we are going to re-sign him, I'd hope it was at no more than 2.5 per season. I can however see management trading him then hoping Grabner can step up some to fill in on the second line as they are a relatively similar skill set for a much cheaper price.

I don't see how he could get more than 2.5 a season. I would say 2.5 would be a maximum salary for him, how could he justify asking for more than Sammy? I could see him getting a 2 or 3 year deal at 2 million per season.

I don't see how he could get more than 2.5 a season. I would say 2.5 would be a maximum salary for him, how could he justify asking for more than Sammy? I could see him getting a 2 or 3 year deal at 2 million per season.

Some of you fcking doorknobs need to realise Raymond plays for the Canucks, not the Florida Panthers.

3+MILL ? are you serious?!

This team has more depth now than it has had in 30 years and you wanna pay a guy who just followed up a pair of 20 point seasons with one good year - that kind of money... on THIS team?

You're fcken crazy... with guys like Schroeder and Hodgson waiting on the sidelines.... I like Mase but... rolleyes.gif

I think 2.5 for two years is very fair for him.

2007-08 Vancouver Canucks NHL GP 49 G 9 A 12 = PTS 21

2008-09 Vancouver Canucks NHL GP 72 G 11 A 12 = PTS 23

2009-10 Vancouver Canucks NHL GP 82 G 25 A 28 = PTS 53

He's only played for the Canucks for 2.5 years on the Canucks. Given his track record, he has really just proven himself for one season. No doubt, the guy has potential, but to sign him to 3m+ seems too early.

He had 3 points in the playoff last season.

2 years for him to develop and sign a big contract may not be a bad thing for him. I believe that his agent will approve of this deal.

Some of you fcking doorknobs need to realise Raymond plays for the Canucks, not the Florida Panthers.

This team has more depth now than it has had in 30 years and you wanna pay a guy who just followed up a pair of 20 point seasons with one good year - that kind of money... on THIS team?

You're fcken crazy... with guys like Schroeder and Hodgson waiting on the sidelines.... I like Mase but... rolleyes.gif

Nothing over 2.5 million.

Hopefully he signs at around 2.25. When this guy gets his confidence going (right now) he looks great, but when he's not rolling, it's really frustrating to watch him.

Also, he's a RFA, not a UFA, so the Canucks have a bit of an upper hand.

I wouldn't mind if somebody gave him an offersheet and we got a 1st and a 3rd, because we're missing a 2nd and a 3rd in next year's draft.

Just like other posters have already stated... 2.5 mil would be a fair offer for him.

But if he needs 3-3.5 to reamin a Canuck, give it to him. He improves every year and now is not the time to let him go.

His effort against Sopel in setting up the Ehrhoff goal is a clear indication that this guy wants to be a successful player in the NHL. He has the skillset, and we see him strengthen his weak points a little bit each offseason.

Luckily, Gillis knows this [speculation, how couldn't he?], and we'll see him in the lineup next year.

The Raymond situation is a sticky one. I am interested to see what MG does with this kid.

On the one hand, he seems to have a lot of potential and have shown his ability to play in a top six role on an elite team. On the other hand, he has only had one successful year and have not shown he can perform consistently.

With our forward prospect depth, I cannot see MG signing Raymond to a long term contract. I see the contract being 1 to 2 years in length, and no more than 3. I would like to see a 2 year deal worth 4.5 to 5 mil. For those of you wanting a long term deal for this kid, have we learned nothing from the bad deals given to unproven kids all over the league? (case in point, Dustin Penner) And FYI, for a player in Raymond's situation, a long term deal would not reduce his salary as he is still improving, a long term deal would increase his cap hit for the next few years as it would most likely be back-end loaded.

Too true. I have high hopes for Raymond, but anything over 2.75 per will be difficult to swallow. Even with his good year, he hasn't been able to stay in our top 6 consistently with the depth we have. And with Grabner, Hodgson, Schroeder, and even Shirokov all competing for ice time, and a big hole on defense, we may be better off packaging up Raymond for a young stud defenseman.

I already said this in another thread, but I think a perfect storm of events may be brewing with us and St. Louis, which could lead to a Corey Schneider + Mason Ramond -for- Eric Johnson trade:

- Our depth at forward, with St Louis' need for proven offensive forwards

- John Davidson's desire for Schneider, with us having Luongo locked up

- St. Louis' plethora of young D (including HF's #1 rated prospect, Pietrangelo), and our desperate need for one

- Eric Johnson's looming RFA status, and the team's seeming inability to get a deal done suggest that the Blues are not certain that he is one of their cornerstone pieces.

I think this would be a great deal for both sides. Failing that, moving Raymond for one of Nashville's young D prospects (i.e. Cody Franson) may work out as well.

I go 8 mil for three years. Cap hit 2.67mil . I think its fair and he will be in his prime where he can cash in then.

We need to re sign him before the offer sheets. Teams can offer 3 mil a year and its only a second round pick.

And there will be offer sheets.

Archived