The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elite defenceman theory

mooremooremoore

I think Alex Edler could be that elite defenceman we're looking for. After all he is only 24. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get nominated for the Norris in a couple of years, since he definitely has the potential. At this point, we can only look from within our organization to produce that elite d-man, since a trade for one would cost way too much.

If the Canucks are truly ready to make a push next year for the Stanley Cup as many think they are, then I think the option of considering an older cup experienced veteran on a 1 year deal at a decent cap hit makes some sense.

Let's face it. The Canucks lacked that steadying presence that comes with veteran players who have been through it before and know how to raise their game to a new level.

If the Canucks want Edler or even Erhoff and O'Brien to get to the next level, having a veteran cup winner would certainly help that development.

I'm all for getting younger guys with upside but to be honest I think next year should be the big push. They have the ingredients and some cap room to add a few things. I think it is the opportunity to make their run.

If the Canucks are truly ready to make a push next year for the Stanley Cup as many think they are, then I think the option of considering an older cup experienced veteran on a 1 year deal at a decent cap hit makes some sense.

Let's face it. The Canucks lacked that steadying presence that comes with veteran players who have been through it before and know how to raise their game to a new level.

God forbid we look at our own young D men and notice their development Curve Erhoff is 26 years old Edler is only 23.

Hamhuis is only 28 just rounding into his professional game.

Carlo Colaiacovo 28 we've resurrected ex Leafs players careers before Wellwood and Raycroft... why not Carlo?

Kurtis Foster - Depth kind of guy we desperately need. He loves Vancouver too..

God forbid we look at our own young D men and notice their development Curve Erhoff is 26 years old Edler is only 23.

Hamhuis is only 28 just rounding into his professional game.

Carlo Colaiacovo 28 we've resurrected ex Leafs players careers before Wellwood and Raycroft... why not Carlo?

Kurtis Foster - Depth kind of guy we desperately need. He loves Vancouver too..

It's not just elite defencemen, we need a good TEAM DEFENCE. Look at Montreal, sure they have Markov, but all their other defencemen are playing amazingly, and to defined roles as well. They have Markov as their puckmover, Bergeron as their PP QB, Spacek as a fast defenceman, Gill as their prime shutdown guy and now Subban too.

We had too many offensive defencemen who were less than average in their own zone - even Ehrhoff wasn't solid defensively despite being our best D man, and please don't talk of this teams depth. Alberts and Rome are AHLers on any other team.

It's not just elite defencemen, we need a good TEAM DEFENCE. Look at Montreal, sure they have Markov, but all their other defencemen are playing amazingly, and to defined roles as well. They have Markov as their puckmover, Bergeron as their PP QB, Spacek as a fast defenceman, Gill as their prime shutdown guy and now Subban too.

We had too many offensive defencemen who were less than average in their own zone - even Ehrhoff wasn't solid defensively despite being our best D man, and please don't talk of this teams depth. Alberts and Rome are AHLers on any other team.

Jovo was elite for sure. As for hamhuis...I played against Danny when he played for smithers...the guy progressed at a crazy rate...and obviously grew to become the dman he is today. I'm good friends with his cousin and she told me he doesn't believe they'll be in Nashville next season. No I'm not getting a link as I am link...don't believe it...I could facking care less. Its a true story from a northern bc boy who knows his family a bit. Not saying he's coming to van....but personally...I think he will. For some reason I keep thinkin he's our younger replacement for Mitchell. I wish Mitchell would be healthy enough but it doesn't sound good!

Jovo was elite for sure. As for hamhuis...I played against Danny when he played for smithers...the guy progressed at a crazy rate...and obviously grew to become the dman he is today. I'm good friends with his cousin and she told me he doesn't believe they'll be in Nashville next season. No I'm not getting a link as I am link...don't believe it...I could facking care less. Its a true story from a northern bc boy who knows his family a bit. Not saying he's coming to van....but personally...I think he will. For some reason I keep thinkin he's our younger replacement for Mitchell. I wish Mitchell would be healthy enough but it doesn't sound good!

I really hope Gillis goes out and does whatever it takes to get Cody Franson.

He will be an elite defenceman in a couple years. 6'5, 205 pounds with a great shot, really good offensive capability, strong defensive skills and he will not be able to get pushed around like a couple of our defenceman on the roster because of his size. No disrespect to Salo and Ehrhoff because they are our most offensively talented d-men but Franson plays an offensive style of game too but he can dish out hits and take hits as well.

I don't see a UFA defenseman that would be classified as elite, other than Neidermeyer. Hamhuis is very good, but not elite, imo. Probably the best of the bunch because of his age. Volchenkov? same thing. Does what he does well but not the guy to carry a team. Would love to see either on our team as they would undoubtedly make us better, but they will command big money and I'm not sure I want to see them here for as much as they will be able to command.

That leaves trading as the only viable option but who is even possible without giving up too much depth to get him?

It would help to have a workhorse type guy that can get in the mid 20's to 30 minutes a game, can quarterback the PP, play the PK, and is solid on both sides of the puck. I also believe this is a HUGE component to a long playoff.

I think it is because of a great season offensively which covered up his defensive liabilities resulting in a GM dishing out a ridiculous contract that I thought only Glen Sather is a capable of. Campbell is more like 4 million dollar defense man.

So you want to sign a free agent to be your #1 dman.

Of the already "elite," Lidstrom (40) is barely even worth considering a UFA. It's almost certain he will re-sign in Detroit or retire. He will be a Red Wing for as long as he still wants to play. Gonchar (36) is one of the best offensive D and power play qb's around and plays a good all-around game. He would be a tremendous addition if we could get him, but I don't see him signing for less than the 5.5 mil he made this year. Niedermayer (36) is still one of the best skaters in the league and is an absolute gamebreaker on the back end. He may want to come here, but for how much, and for how long? Regardless, if you can add a future hall of fame dman like him to your team, you do it, but I see him retiring to be honest.

Michalek (27) and Martin (29) have elite level defensive skills. These guys might not be norris candidates yet, but they are the best D on their teams and Michalek especially has a very bright future, and will likely be the best blueliner for whichever team signs him. They may not sign for the most money, but I think these two are the prize UFA defensemen of the offseason. Very doubtful that whoever signs them ends up regretting it, if either of them even makes it to UFA status. Their teams should and will do everything they can to re-sign them.

The rest are a tier below them I think. Seidenberg (28) has shown the ability to take control of a game and will also probably be the best defenseman on whichever team he eventually signs with (was better for the Bruins than even Chara in every game I saw him play for them before his injury). Hamhuis (27) has all the tools to be a dominant defender, capable of shutting down elite forwards and putting up points. We'll see whether Weber and Suter were masking his shortcomings or just overshadowing him. Volchenkov (28) is one of the league's best defensive defensemen already but is not so great a puck-mover. Kubina (33) is also a great all-around dman who would be a #1 for us for sure if he came here but I don't see us giving him as much as someone else will. Blake (40) is still a dominant defender who is good in all situations, a great leader and character guy who has won the cup. Finally, our own Willie Mitchell (33) is dominant defensively, a good skater and improved every year he was here, but may be one more knock on the head away from retirement or worse. If he's good to go, he will likely be brought back unless another team makes him an offer he can't refuse, and if he does return, he'll be our best dman again unless we go out and get someone better.

There are other great dmen who can become UFAs, but none are worth talking about in discussions of #1 dmen.

Archived