The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elite defenceman theory

mooremooremoore

If MG could get something done this year i'd be thrilled, but I really think this time next year will be the time the Canucks get a solid top four maybe top 2 defenceman with the likes of Kevin Bieksa, Sami Salo, Christian Ehrhoff and Andrew Alberts as unrestricted free agents, add to that I think UFA's for defenceman are deeper next year then this year.

Arguably Ehrhoff appeared short of Elite to me this year. He did put up some big numbers, and was huge defensively.

(Remember when everyone thought he would be terrible because of his -12 with the sharks the year before)

But getting 44 points (14g, 30a) and a freeking +36 is a pretty good defencemen if you're looking for 'once of those guys that put up the points and has a good +-)

I think Ehrhoff, with Hamphus could be one of the biggest defensive threats in the league, arguably the top 5 defensive pair in the league if we put them together.

But We needed A d-man to step in for Ohlund, and this guy did the job, he could be our go-to guy for the next couple of years. He loves the ice time, take's no crap from other players, is consistent in his play, racks up points, scores the big goals, had 3 GWG, i believe 2 in OT, had 7 points in the playoffs.

He and Edler could be our big point-men on the powerplay, as well as great guys for PK.

We also don't entirely need elite defensemen if we have an elite goalie. I think strong defensemen who play their roll, and don't make stupid mistakes, could lead us far.

Weber ain't going anywhere don't get your hopes up. If he ever does get traded 28 teams would be interested and it would take way more than the names you put out there. They wanted Hodgson for Hamhuis at the deadline.

While not a Norris candidate, Ohlund was our defensive leader and a total beast. Letting him go was a HUGE mistake. I said so at the time and it proved to be true.

If we do go after Hamhuis I hope he's as good as he's been made out to be. I haven't seen him enough to know.

I would be all for trading something/someone to get one of the top D in the league. It is an area we need to address for sure.

If we could move Bieksa in that trade it would be good for us. He's just not good enough when it really matters. He's far too inconsistent. Plus he's our hightest paid D-man and completely unworthy of his salary!

While not a Norris candidate, Ohlund was our defensive leader and a total beast. Letting him go was a HUGE mistake. I said so at the time and it proved to be true.

If we do go after Hamhuis I hope he's as good as he's been made out to be. I haven't seen him enough to know.

I would be all for trading something/someone to get one of the top D in the league. It is an area we need to address for sure.

If we could move Bieksa in that trade it would be good for us. He's just not good enough when it really matters. He's far too inconsistent. Plus he's our hightest paid D-man and completely unworthy of his salary!

Canucks should really go hard on getting Cam Fowler, lets not kid around, this team needs a defense man who can put it to the next level without ruining the cap salary as it is. We need this guy, we can hope for a Doughty 2.0 or even a Myers 2.0

Get him Gillis.

The only thing I disagree with is saying Subban is an elite defenseman. He needs to prove himself first.. Potentially, no question.. Not yet..

I think the Canucks have tried luring Scott Neidermayer on a couple of occasions. No Avail... This is something I am not holding my breath for.. The only thing that is working in our favor is the poor result from last year for Anaheim..

Besides, hasn't he already retired twice?

Also, I don't think he fits in Mike Gillis' scope for the team.. He wouldn't sign for more than a year, and we've seen how that has worked in the past.. Not that I am in any way comparing Scotty to Sundin. Just the fact that there is going to be a whole to fill all over again.

I think Alex Edler could be that elite defenceman we're looking for. After all he is only 24. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get nominated for the Norris in a couple of years, since he definitely has the potential. At this point, we can only look from within our organization to produce that elite d-man, since a trade for one would cost way too much.

I think the Canucks have tried luring Scott Neidermayer on a couple of occasions. No Avail... This is something I am not holding my breath for.. The only thing that is working in our favor is the poor result from last year for Anaheim..

Besides, hasn't he already retired twice?

Also, I don't think he fits in Mike Gillis' scope for the team.. He wouldn't sign for more than a year, and we've seen how that has worked in the past.. Not that I am in any way comparing Scotty to Sundin. Just the fact that there is going to be a whole to fill all over again.

To me, the most likely guy with definitive #1 ability/potential that could conceivably be available would be Eric Johnson. The Blues haven't been able to get a deal done with him, which is strange, considering a guy like that you usually try to lock up as a cornerstone.

I suggested it in another thread, but Mason Raymond and Corey Schneider may land him. Gives St. Louis the proven top-6 guy and goaltender they covet. But even if it took an additional pick (3rd round or later) on our side, I'd still do it.

If that doesn't happen, we might have to go for a D prospect, and hope he pans out. Nashville has a ton of them, and need scoring badly. Raymond for Franson or Blum should be doable. It's a gamble for sure - if the guy we get busts, we'll be regretting it. But something has to be done.

As far as I see it, this #1 D is the biggest hole on our roster, and we don't have a prospect with even a long shot at it. I have high hopes for Connaughton and Sauve, but at best, they'll make up a solid second pairing.

Defence was the MAIN reason we lost in the 2nd round again.

I say sign hamhuis / re-sign Mitchell (hopefully he gets better) / and put bieksa and edler in the weight room all Fu**ing summer.

Hamhuis Ehroff

Mitchell Edler

Bieksa Salo

Archived