Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:08 PM

Defense
Born Dec 20 1989 -- Toronto, ONT
Height 6.02 -- Weight 185 -- Shoots R

yet another NCAA signing by general manager Mike Gillis. Tanev is said to be a very intelligent player who works angles and positioning to his advantage. He should be a good addition to the Moose roster for the upcoming season.

Tanev certainly has helped the Tigers and is one of the key players in their stunning run to the Frozen Four. He was the best freshman defenseman in the Atlantic Hockey Association this year, and he led the Tigers — as well as the entire conference — in plus-minus rating. His current number is a phenomenal plus-35 counting the Tigers two NCAA Tournament victories over Denver and New Hampshire

Tanev was named AHA Rookie of the Year and during the regular season he finished third among all freshmen — not just defensemen — in points with 26 on nine goals and 17 assists. Even more impressive, despite being one of the leaders in ice time, and constantly playing with partner Dan Ringwald against the opponent’s best scoring lines, he has taken only two minor penalties this year.
Tanev is not a physical presence, but he has a long reach, understands angles, and is a fluid player with the puck.

“Right away the whole team noticed his poise and intelligence,” Wilson said. “We got him in here and he’s grown to be about 6-2. We thought he’d be good, but to say that he would be this good might have been a stretch on our part.”“We thought when he got here, ‘oh boy,’ and when he gets another year or two of physical maturity, I think his potential is unlimited,” Wilson said.

Before RIT: Played the last two seasons for the Markham Waxers of the Ontario Provincial Junior Hockey League (OPJHL) … junior teammate of fellow incoming RIT recruit Bryan Potts … led all Markham defensemen in scoring with four goals and 37 assists for 41 points in 50 games in 2008-09 … assistant captain and was named the top defenseman for the Waxers in 2008-09 … helped lead Markham to the South-East Division title and was the Most Improved Player in 2007-08 … was a teammate of current Tiger forward Mark Cornacchia … previously played for Stoufville and Durham of the OPJHL.

Anything else anybody has to add to his profile would be much appreciated.

Edited by GZA, 05 June 2010 - 03:26 PM.

#2 The Drunken Crunker

The Drunken Crunker

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:11 PM

Posted Image

Here are some of his accomplishments.

2009-2010 NCAA (AHA) All-Rookie Team
NCAA (AHA) Regular Season Champion
NCAA (AHA) Rookie of the Year
NCAA (AHA) Third All-Conference Team

A few quotes.

Chris was a real late bloomer who grew almost six inches during his final year of juniors. He is a very skilled player who can be a dominant defenseman as he gets stronger. Chris is an excellent passer who moves the puck very well and has a great shot. Coach Wilson

"We thought when he got here, 'oh boy,' and when he gets another year or two of physical maturity, I think his potential is unlimited," - Coach Wilson

"Chris Tanev is an awesome player," Ringwald said in the recent media teleconference. "We came together about a month into the season and we've been playing pretty well together. He's just a really smart player. We think the game pretty similarly, so we kind of always know where each other are. So far the chemistry has been awesome between us. I've learned a lot from him and I hope that he has learned some from me as well. Hopefully we can continue that." - All-American candidate Dan Ringwald.

Also fans of the RIT program seem a little disappointed to see Tanev leave so soon.

I'm a little bitter that we're losing Tanev after only one season - especially at a place like RIT where only one other player has left early in the history of the school (pitfall of going to D1, I suppose) - but it's nice that I can root for Chris to be the first RIT player to play in an NHL game on my 2nd/3rd favorite team.

And I do think he has that kind of ability.

Posted Image

Posted Image

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that!

"We are trying to get more Canadians playing floorball, leave it to Sami to make it seem dangerous,"
- Greg Beaudin, president of B.C. Floorball.

#3 Spectacular

Spectacular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:17 PM

Amazing pick up by Gillis! He has all the tools to make it to the NHL, and the comments really do pump the fans up for this kid. I really am loving Gillis' pick ups...

Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 GZA

GZA

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:20 PM

Amazing pick up by Gillis! He has all the tools to make it to the NHL, and the comments really do pump the fans up for this kid. I really am loving Gillis' pick ups...

him being a right handed shot makes him likely to be Salo's replacement a year or 2 down the road if he can translate his game well in the pros.

very interested to see how he does at camp.

#5 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,860 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:40 PM

Gillis loves college players. It also seems like he looks for players with accomplishments of any kind.

Alot of players he's signing won Rookie of the Year awards, or were selected to All-Star teams.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#6 The Kes-Bomber

The Kes-Bomber

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:07 PM

You can see Gillis really fishin for some young D prospects. Hopefully all these signings leads to the next stud d-man.

At 185 lbs, Tanev will need to bulk up, but 6'2" is good. Im not sure of the d-man situation in Manitoba, but he will probably start in Victoria.

#7 filthycanuck

filthycanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:34 PM

You can see Gillis really fishin for some young D prospects. Hopefully all these signings leads to the next stud d-man.

At 185 lbs, Tanev will need to bulk up, but 6'2" is good. Im not sure of the d-man situation in Manitoba, but he will probably start in Victoria.

6'2 D-man for free? Thats a no brainer..good job again to the braintrust of the Nucks. Hopefully this guy can pan out and be an option for the future

#8 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,375 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 11:09 PM

"He was a very sought-after free agent," Gilman said. "He's a pretty good offensive player and he's definitely a guy we think has upside as an offensive defenceman."

Most of the Canuck prospects, plus those drafted this year, will attend a camp in Vancouver beginning July 5.

http://www.vancouver...2725/story.html

Subbancopy.jpg

#9 Zach Parise

Zach Parise

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,390 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 11:12 PM

Connauton-Tanev

Damn its like Pronger and Chara together

Future looks bright for us :D

#10 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 11:14 PM

him being a right handed shot makes him likely to be Salo's replacement a year or 2 down the road if he can translate his game well in the pros.

very interested to see how he does at camp.

He really does seem to have a similar play-style to Salo. Also, the thing is, he is a bit more physical. He's only 20. He'll likey pack on another 10-20 pounds in the next couple years; by the time he makes the team. He seems like a good all-around guy like Salo. Isn't he also very disciplined, with only 4 PIM? Or am I thinking of someone else.

I'm being optimistic here.... WATCH OUT! HELL MAY HAVE FROZEN OVER! We might win the cup, now!
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#11 The Situation

The Situation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 11:20 PM

It is great to sign college free agents. We boost our depth in prospects and we don't use up draft picks.
Posted Image

#12 b3.

b3.

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Assistant to Regional Manager
  • 26,532 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 11:26 PM

Connauton-Tanev

Minus the height, physical play and great two way ability. But okay.. :P
Posted Image

#13 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,385 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 12:13 AM

Connauton-Tanev

6'1 dman and 6'2

yea and schroeder hodgson is the next toews kane combo.

We are looking too good. Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#14 Trevor19Naslund

Trevor19Naslund

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 12:54 AM

i love Gillis, he's trying to find some hidden gems through college hockey. smart moves.
>> This VIDEO Is What We Live For <<
Posted Image
Wish List: Backes, Palmieri, VanRiemsdyk, Chris Stewart, Dustin Brown, Clowe, Burish, Stoll, Ott.

#15 ☆➊ R. 'Superman' Kesler ➐☆

☆➊ R. 'Superman' Kesler ➐☆

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:38 AM

6'1 dman and 6'2

yea and schroeder hodgson is the next toews kane combo.

We are looking too good. Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

Thats going to be beastly 2 years down the road. 2 D-man, 6'1 and 6'2. Schroeder and Hodgson are probably going to make the team this year, so thats even better! Schneider's a future starting goaltender. Gillis is the man!

.......(No offense) For all you Gillis haters, suck it. Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Quebec Nordiques

#16 klw604

klw604

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 08:01 AM

Our third round pick !

#17 mangosteens

mangosteens

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:42 AM

Does anyone know if other teams were pursuing Tanev?
Had he not signed, would he have been eligible for the upcoming draft?

#18 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,339 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:50 AM

Does anyone know if other teams were pursuing Tanev? Reports were that many teams were interested
Had he not signed, would he have been eligible for the upcoming draft?no, he turns 21 this year and is ineligible for the draft as a result

reply in bold above.

Edited by avelanch, 01 June 2010 - 09:52 AM.

#19 CanuckleHead231714

CanuckleHead231714

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:00 PM

I'm excited to see him play with us! WOO!
"A fast body-contact game played by men with clubs in their hands and knives laced to their feet." - Paul Gallico

#20 wolfgang puck

wolfgang puck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:23 PM

Good signing.I like this better than having a second or third pick this year as he's a year or two older and already proven he can play at the next level.

I'm thinking that some of our rookie D will have to play in Victoria to start as they can't ice an all rookie D-corps in Manitoba so they'll need a few veterans to mentor these guys along.It'll be a dogfight to see who makes the Moose and can stick with them for the year.

#21 GZA

GZA

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:53 PM

Good signing.I like this better than having a second or third pick this year as he's a year or two older and already proven he can play at the next level.

I'm thinking that some of our rookie D will have to play in Victoria to start as they can't ice an all rookie D-corps in Manitoba so they'll need a few veterans to mentor these guys along.It'll be a dogfight to see who makes the Moose and can stick with them for the year.

NCAA is not really the "next level" its same as junior hockey. the next level for Tanev will be the moose or salmon kings depending on how the camp goes.

#22 wolfgang puck

wolfgang puck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 08:48 PM

<br />NCAA is not really the &quot;next level&quot; its same as junior hockey. the next level for Tanev will be the moose or salmon kings depending on how the camp goes.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

It's been debated on here many times before but IMO the NCAA would be considered a level above major junior as the players are older and more seem to make the jump from there to the NHL than go straight from Junior to the NHL.That's just my opinion at the moment,though,I'm not claiming to be right.

What I was getting at was that he's proven that he can thrive when stepping up a level in leagues where a lot of players that get drafted when they show potential in Jr B or various US leagues don't do anything in the NCAA when faced with stiffer competition.

#23 bluesy_shoes

bluesy_shoes

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:57 PM

I really like this signing. Does anyone have any idea of his projected ceiling? From what I've been reading today, am I wrong to consider him as our best shot at a top pairing D-man? His last season is pretty impressive; sounds like a real natural talent.

Posted Image

bluesy_shoes

#24 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:48 PM

He really does seem like a natural talent... I'm pretty stoked.

It really sounds like, as far as ceiling goes for our D prospects, it's him vs Connauton.

Sauve seems more like an O'Brien type deal.

Edited by Joe_Shmo, 02 June 2010 - 07:48 PM.

Hey CDC! Remember this!?

#25 GZA

GZA

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:00 PM

He really does seem like a natural talent... I'm pretty stoked.

It really sounds like, as far as ceiling goes for our D prospects, it's him vs Connauton.

Sauve seems more like an O'Brien type deal.

even though its too early to be speculating how a certain player may turn out, imo Sauve should be an improvement over O'Brien after he gets a year with the moose. Also O'Brien is not that bad of defenseman, he just needs to grow up a little and learn to be a better professional.

#26 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:27 PM

I'm not slagging O'Brien at all. I'm very satisfied with what kind of player he's becoming. Him being "in your face" is fine. He does need to grow up a little bit, though. But it's good for a laugh at times. I know it fires up our players.
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

#27 GZA

GZA

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:31 PM

loved OB's antics after the fight against simmonds in the LA series. consistency is his only real problem and that comes with seasoning, after all he is still a fairly young guy.

#28 jigsaw99

jigsaw99

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 02:54 AM

Just checked out his stats... it seems like the defenesemans run the show at R.I.T

4/5 top scorers are deferencemans Chris is the youngest and 4th in team scoring.

http://www.hockeydb....0012752010.html

anyways that's some messed up team stats

#29 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,339 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:44 AM

Just checked out his stats... it seems like the defenesemans run the show at R.I.T

4/5 top scorers are deferencemans Chris is the youngest and 4th in team scoring.

That's what happens when you go to a little known school that no major forward talent bothers attending. If Tanev makes the Canucks one day he would be the first RIT player to make the NHL (unless someone else makes it before him, which is unlikely)

Edited by avelanch, 03 June 2010 - 06:45 AM.

#30 bluesy_shoes

bluesy_shoes

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 02:48 PM

That is pretty odd. Even six of the top eight scorers were defensemen. Tanev's 4 penalty minutes over 41 games while playing on the top pairing is a pretty shocking stat as well. Seems to indicate good skating, a good stick, and positioning. 4 minutes is beyond discipline.

Posted Image

bluesy_shoes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.