428 replies to this topic

#301 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,258 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:14 PM

^^ I thought Edler's nickname was "Eaglet" as given to him by none other than our beloved Trevor Linden? We're certainly waiting for him to spread his wings... ;)

As for Tanev, I always thought "Cigarette" would be hella funny, going back to that Bieksa comment. Posted Image

cigarette would open itself to blatant mockery using UK slang. probably not the best nickname.

maybe chris "the cucumber" tanev... since he's as cool as one. :emot-parrot:

Edited by avelanch, 14 September 2011 - 07:14 PM.

#302 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:17 PM

What does it mean in UK slang? Shouldn't really matter seeing how this is Canada :P
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#303 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,258 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:21 PM

What does it mean in UK slang? Shouldn't really matter seeing how this is Canada :P

uk slang for cigarette is our slang for a gay male. 3 letters; starts with an "F". I'm not going to type it.

#304 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:24 PM

uk slang for cigarette is our slang for a gay male. 3 letters; starts with an "F". I'm not going to type it.

Haha I see.

#305 wolfgang puck

wolfgang puck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:57 PM

He kinda reminds me of that Joe Camel guy from the Camel cigarette ads from several years ago.

#306 Phamda

Phamda

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:13 PM

Dave Gagner says Tanev current weighs in at 190 lbs.

another 10-15 lbs would be perfect

#307 sameer666

sameer666

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:50 PM

ciggy tanev

#308 rluongo01

rluongo01

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 11:11 PM

Did Tanev change his number?
He's listed as number 8 on his roster page.

http://canucks.nhl.c....htm?id=8475690

#309 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,873 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:05 AM

Yeh he changed to 8 this offseason.

Big shoes to fill kid, but I think he will
Posted Image

#310 Ryan Kesler's Snipe

Ryan Kesler's Snipe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:42 AM

yessssssssssssss. Can we start calling him The Great 8? :bigblush: Sure as hell isn't Ovechkin anymore. Posted Image Posted Image

Tanev beats out the other Great 8 and wins the art ross :bigblush:
Posted Image In Hodgson we trust

In 2012, a hero will rise

Credit to Vintage Canuck for the sick sig!

#311 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,701 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:11 AM

Tanev looks even better than last year. Garry Roberts must have had him taking 500 shots a day, he was winging it bigtime. :towel:

I think it's almost time to move him off the "prospects" portion of the site.....

#312 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 04:43 PM

Soon it'll be removed... I just loved how he was rushing up the ice against Calgary the other night, and almost had a 2nd goal off a rush too. Posted Image

#313 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,855 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:35 PM

Sent down. Saw this coming from a mile away since late June.

It's not that he's not good enough - it's just that he can get so much better with significant ice time. He's a reliable 6th/7th defenseman right now with the depth that we have on our blue line. He could probably crack the top 4 on some teams around the NHL. However, he's only 21 years old and has plenty of room to develop.

Not surprised that when the option for Tanev was to either sit in the press box for half the season (and play under 15 minutes in the games he does play) in the NHL or play 20+ minutes in the AHL, he was given the latter.

The Wolves need him badly. This is a great fit for Tanev, the Wolves and the rest of our prospects struggling in the Wolves right now. Adding Tanev to the lineup should help the team stabilize defensively so much. He will instantly the #1 defenseman on the team the moment he steps on the ice for the Wolves.

I hope Tanev and Sauve get paired up for the #1 shutdown pairing on the Wolves.

Edited by Dasein, 17 October 2011 - 11:36 PM.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#314 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,258 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:37 AM

so the wolves just got tanev and signed john madden... hopefully that mean's they'll be able to win a game.

#315 bluesy_shoes

bluesy_shoes

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:38 AM

Hopefully he can put up some points.

Posted Image

bluesy_shoes

#316 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:12 PM

He and Baumer were both in the lineup tonight. Tanev's wearing #12, and had 2 shots on goal.

Those new jersey numbers will take some getting used to when looking at the sheet.

Edited by Canvoucer Vanuck, 21 October 2011 - 08:13 PM.

#317 The Kassassin Train

The Kassassin Train

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 03:45 PM

Can anyone confirm Tanev is a healthy scratch tonight?

The key difference is that Sopel can fill in for Seabrook and Campbell just fine. Bieksa, he is garbage so in that sense he is like the worst defenseman in the league.

When Cody (Hodgson) gets older, he might be better than Datsyuk.

Let's not push this guy (Kassian). He's still immature, and if he fails on the 2nd line it's because he isn't ready. Some guys really need years to develop, it's how well and how fast players adapt to the game. In my opinion, I'd rather have Horvat getting 2nd line minutes. He will start off on the 3rd line next season but I see him making the transition, being a great compliment to whoever plays his wings.

At this point, I don't see Kassian fitting in to any role other than a 3rd. If players like Kassian start getting 2nd line minutes then we just stay inconsistent as a team.

The idiocy on CDC....

#318 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,258 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 03:50 PM

Can anyone confirm Tanev is a healthy scratch tonight?

we'll know for sure in about and hour and 15 minutes, but according to a poster on the wolves board:

Saw him leaving the Allstate Friday night and he looked pretty roughed up after blocking a few shots. I think yesterday (and possibly today) are "maintenance" days for him to heal up.

#319 The Kassassin Train

The Kassassin Train

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,065 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 04:03 PM

we'll know for sure in about and hour and 15 minutes, but according to a poster on the wolves board:

Thanks for the update.

The key difference is that Sopel can fill in for Seabrook and Campbell just fine. Bieksa, he is garbage so in that sense he is like the worst defenseman in the league.

When Cody (Hodgson) gets older, he might be better than Datsyuk.

Let's not push this guy (Kassian). He's still immature, and if he fails on the 2nd line it's because he isn't ready. Some guys really need years to develop, it's how well and how fast players adapt to the game. In my opinion, I'd rather have Horvat getting 2nd line minutes. He will start off on the 3rd line next season but I see him making the transition, being a great compliment to whoever plays his wings.

At this point, I don't see Kassian fitting in to any role other than a 3rd. If players like Kassian start getting 2nd line minutes then we just stay inconsistent as a team.

The idiocy on CDC....

#320 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 07:14 PM

Tanev did not play.

Edited by David Booth, 23 October 2011 - 07:14 PM.

Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#321 One one two

One one two

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,096 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 10:43 PM

Well, aside from the game off, how has he been looking?

#322 #1Luongo06

#1Luongo06

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,215 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:24 AM

DO people honestly see Tanev getting traded? We need to keep a future Dcore that can develop beyond Bieksa and Hamhuis Salo. Edler is pretty much alone in that aspect as being a legit NHL guy and Tanev is right behind him.. but after that its a huge drop off to guys like Sauve and Connaughton.

#323 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,855 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:58 PM

DO people honestly see Tanev getting traded? We need to keep a future Dcore that can develop beyond Bieksa and Hamhuis Salo. Edler is pretty much alone in that aspect as being a legit NHL guy and Tanev is right behind him.. but after that its a huge drop off to guys like Sauve and Connaughton.

Actually, the drop off from Tanev to Sauve is very minimal IMO. It's at the point where if we do need to call someone up to play the left side defense instead of the right, Sauve may get the call over Tanev because he plays the left side. Sauve was/is a work in progress but his physique is exceptional and he uses his size and speed to his advantage very well. Sauve has a very good chance of making the Canucks in 1-3 years if he continues on this trajectory.

Tanev may be further along the way at this point, but Sauve could catch up, slowly and steadily. I'd say the potentials for Sauve and Tanev are identical, but that Tanev has a slightly better chance of achieving them.

But yeah, after that it is a huge dropoff, unless our Swedish defensemen like Tommernes or Erixon turn out to be gems. Corrado is looking very good right now and McNally is about to play his first year in the NCAA, which will give us a better understanding of just how good/bad our defensive depth is.

Ideally, I'd like to see us hold on to at least two NHL-calibre defensive prospects like Sauve and Tanev (great that they play opposite sides--this is preferred but not necessary) in the system. If we trade Tanev, we only have Sauve remaining. However, if either McNally or Corrado can pan out, or Erixon or Tommernes, we would still have a pretty good defensive prospects pool without Tanev.

And no, I don't think we're going to trade Tanev unless it is a major deal that gets us a franchise defenseman or another top 6 forward (highly unlikely seeing as we rolled the dice on Booth).

#324 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:14 PM

^ But the dropoff from Tanev to the next right D-man is pretty significant IMO. We have a lot of guys who can play the left side, but apart from Tanev there's nobody else who's ready to play the right side.

#325 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,855 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:22 PM

^ But the dropoff from Tanev to the next right D-man is pretty significant IMO. We have a lot of guys who can play the left side, but apart from Tanev there's nobody else who's ready to play the right side.

No doubt about that. Kevin Connauton, Adam Polasek, Henrik Tommernes, Sebastien Erixon and Patrick McNally are all left-handed shooters. One or two of these guys are bound to play the other side--I think Erixon is at the moment.

The next right-handed defenseman after Tanev is Frank Corrado and Jeremy Price. Corrado looks very promising, but is a few years away at this time. We will need a replacement for Salo on the right side as early as next season if he chooses to retire or re-sign elsewhere. Tanev is a safe bet to slide in if that happens, but Corrado is not capable of doing so. We could always grab a free agent or trade for one though. So who knows.

But definitely there is a huge gap in the right-handed defenseman depth chart after Tanev.

#326 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,168 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:15 AM

^ Guys don't forget about Sulzer. In his last AHL season he had 30 points in 36 games and 34 points in 48 games before that. He's only played depth defenseman for Nashville and Florida at the NHL level, but if given a shot, he does have a lot of potential.

Edit: And also, K-Con is left handed, but doesn't he play right side?

Edited by Thomas Gradin, 25 October 2011 - 08:16 AM.

#327 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,258 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:30 AM

^ Guys don't forget about Sulzer. In his last AHL season he had 30 points in 36 games and 34 points in 48 games before that. He's only played depth defenseman for Nashville and Florida at the NHL level, but if given a shot, he does have a lot of potential.

Edit: And also, K-Con is left handed, but doesn't he play right side?

not right now, he's paired up with baumer, who is a right handed shot and plays on the right. in the offensive zone they switch sides though.

Edited by avelanch, 25 October 2011 - 08:31 AM.

#328 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,162 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:01 PM

Going through the Wolves stats Chris has played but one game all year. Anybody know why he is not playing?

#329 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:30 PM

Going through the Wolves stats Chris has played but one game all year. Anybody know why he is not playing?

He's out with some lower body injury (most likely on the legs). No timeline given for when he'll return though.

#330 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,258 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:50 PM

He's out with some lower body injury (most likely on the legs). No timeline given for when he'll return though.

he blocked a lot of shots in his first game down, local fans said he looked in pretty bad shape from all the blocked shots after the game, so im'm thinking probably his feet/legs, i just hope it's not a broken foot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.