428 replies to this topic

#31 Chip Kelly

Chip Kelly

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,346 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:04 PM

So is this guy like Evan Oberg? Offensive minded good skating d-man? He should play for the Moose next year should he not? The ECHL or the East Coast League is known as a glorified beer league so I would be wary of prospects playing for the Salmon Kings... probably means they are not developing as they should a la Taylor Ellington. How do I know the ECHL is a crap league? Burrows has said in interviews when he played in places like Baton Rouge and South Carolina that guy's were late to practice and nothing was run properly and that it was pretty much a beer league.

fyo3s9.jpg

Credit to Mr.DirtyDangles for the find and Twilight Sparkle for making a sick siggy!

#32 SimplyHockey

SimplyHockey

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:10 AM

<br />&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;<br /><br />It's been debated on here many times before but IMO the NCAA would be considered a level above major junior as the players are older and more seem to make the jump from there to the NHL than go straight from Junior to the NHL.That's just my opinion at the moment,though,I'm not claiming to be right.<br /><br />What I was getting at was that he's proven that he can thrive when stepping up a level in leagues where a lot of players that get drafted when they show potential in Jr B or various US leagues don't do anything in the NCAA when faced with stiffer competition.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

Players may be older but I believe maturity may be another important consideration of players from NCAA. Gillis is certainly on the right track in building for the future. I really hope we get to see some of our young players get a good shot at making the team before AV decides differently. AV tends to favor plugs over young players. I really did not like the time Cory Schneider was made to play down in Manitoba. I am not suggesting that was a decision made by AV and I believe rookies need time to develop in the minors however, IMO it was certainly not fair to Schneider. As back up to Luongo, where else could he have better learned to adapt and learn his trade as a quality NHL goaltender, plus get the chance at receiving the benefits of an NHL goaltending coach. Quite frankly Schneider could have been brought up last year to back up Lui.

I have never watched Connauton, Suave, Tanev, Oberg and other young D etc. play and they all probably need seasoning in the minors to learn, who knows, however watchin Alberts perform his fire drill antics this season somewhat prompts me to believe that just maybe, one of those other young players might just have what it takes for early transition into the NHL; he may do just as well or even better than Alberts. Some may be critical of my opinion in this regard and correct in suggesting they need experience before they are thrown into the fray - but why not experiment and take a chance with the best one. Limit his time, keep a close eye on him and be patient with him. Take a chance once and a while like they have with guys some guys right out of junior.
"If you win say nothing, if you lose say less."

#33 bluesy_shoes

bluesy_shoes

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:50 AM

<br /><br /><br />

Players may be older but I believe maturity may be another important consideration of players from NCAA. Gillis is certainly on the right track in building for the future. I really hope we get to see some of our young players get a good shot at making the team before AV decides differently. AV tends to favor plugs over young players. I really did not like the time Cory Schneider was made to play down in Manitoba. I am not suggesting that was a decision made by AV and I believe rookies need time to develop in the minors however, IMO it was certainly not fair to Schneider. As back up to Luongo, where else could he have better learned to adapt and learn his trade as a quality NHL goaltender, plus get the chance at receiving the benefits of an NHL goaltending coach. Quite frankly Schneider could have been brought up last year to back up Lui.

I have never watched Connauton, Suave, Tanev, Oberg and other young D etc. play and they all probably need seasoning in the minors to learn, who knows, however watchin Alberts perform his fire drill antics this season somewhat prompts me to believe that just maybe, one of those other young players might just have what it takes for early transition into the NHL; he may do just as well or even better than Alberts. Some may be critical of my opinion in this regard and correct in suggesting they need experience before they are thrown into the fray - but why not experiment and take a chance with the best one. Limit his time, keep a close eye on him and be patient with him. Take a chance once and a while like they have with guys some guys right out of junior.

+ 1

Nice post. I agree entirely. There isn't all that much risk either, they can all go up and down without waivers. As much as AV loves his plugs, he hasn't really had Gillis prospects to call up. Pretty much just Oberg, and he was questionable physically last season. The prospects we have on the farm this year have the upside that makes the inherent rookie blunders worth it. I'm hoping one of these young defensemen make a good impression in training camp. I have a feeling whoever seems the most coachable and who best responds to criticism and mistakes will be given some time, regardless of prior achievements. We know how AV feels about prior achievements (case and point: Cody-gate, AV's assumptions about the most sportsmanlike, CHL player of the year)

Posted Image

bluesy_shoes

#34 The Drunken Crunker

The Drunken Crunker

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:30 PM

This was posted by cuporbust in the signings thread. It was a good post and I think it deserves repeating here:

Great for prospect depth. Maybe they see something more in him? He has pretty good numbers

He was 4 th overall on his team in scoring this year which was kinda surprising. And I don't mean for D men, I mean overall :shock:

http://www.hockeydb....sl.php?tid=1275

Some info I found on him :)

Chris Tanev

Before RIT: Played the last two seasons for the Markham Waxers of the Ontario Provincial Junior Hockey League (OPJHL) junior teammate of fellow incoming RIT recruit Bryan Potts led all Markham defensemen in scoring with four goals and 37 assists for 41 points in 50 games in 2008-09 assistant captain and was named the top defenseman for the Waxers in 2008-09 helped lead Markham to the South-East Division title and was the Most Improved Player in 2007-08 was a teammate of current Tiger forward Mark Cornacchia previously played for Stoufville and Durham of the OPJHL.

Personal: Finance major attended East York Collegiate Institute born Dec. 20, 1989, in East York, Ontario son of Mike Tanev and Sophie Meredith has two brothers, Brandon and Kyle favorite NHL team is the Detroit Red Wings favorite NHL player is Nicklas Lidstrom of the Detroit Red Wings favorite food is barbequed ribs favorite sports moment was winning the OPJHL Southeast Championship with Markham in 2008-09 would like to obtain a career in professional hockey or have a job in the financial sector in the next 10 years favorite movie is Remember the Titans favorite music group is Led Zeppelin hobbies include golf, basketball, and watching movies.

Another good article

http://insidecollege...an-chris-tanev/

A deeper look inside this RIT team reveals its own best-kept secret. Freshman defenseman Chris Tanev logs a lot of ice time and plays on the top defense pairing for RIT with All-American candidate Dan Ringwald. We spoke with Tanev about the excitement surrounding the Tigers, his transition to college hockey and other aspects about RIT.

Posted Image

Posted Image

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that!

"We are trying to get more Canadians playing floorball, leave it to Sami to make it seem dangerous,"
- Greg Beaudin, president of B.C. Floorball.

#35 SimplyHockey

SimplyHockey

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:42 AM

<br />+ 1<br /><br />Nice post. I agree entirely. There isn't all that much risk either, they can all go up and down without waivers. As much as AV loves his plugs, he hasn't really had Gillis prospects to call up. Pretty much just Oberg, and he was questionable physically last season. The prospects we have on the farm this year have the upside that makes the inherent rookie blunders worth it. I'm hoping one of these young defensemen make a good impression in training camp. I have a feeling whoever seems the most coachable and who best responds to criticism and mistakes will be given some time, regardless of prior achievements. We know how AV feels about prior achievements (case and point: Cody-gate, AV's assumptions about the most sportsmanlike, CHL player of the year)<br />

<br /><br /><br />

I am interested in the comment of your post that references AV's assumptions about the most valuable sportsman like , CHL player of the year" etc. I am aware of the controversy with Hodgson's medical condition and how AV shot his mouth off about it last fall but must have missed the other issues. Do you have a reference that I can refer to. Much appreciated and thanks in advance
"If you win say nothing, if you lose say less."

#36 GZA

GZA

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 03:30 PM

So is this guy like Evan Oberg? Offensive minded good skating d-man? He should play for the Moose next year should he not? The ECHL or the East Coast League is known as a glorified beer league so I would be wary of prospects playing for the Salmon Kings... probably means they are not developing as they should a la Taylor Ellington. How do I know the ECHL is a crap league? Burrows has said in interviews when he played in places like Baton Rouge and South Carolina that guy's were late to practice and nothing was run properly and that it was pretty much a beer league.

i highly doubt that he gets sent down to the ECHL unless he just has a horrible camp. he will most likely play for the moose but might get limited minutes to begin the season and would have to earn playing time competing with Cannauton and Sauve.

#37 bluesy_shoes

bluesy_shoes

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 11:17 PM

<br /><br /><br />

I am interested in the comment of your post that references AV's assumptions about the most valuable sportsman like , CHL player of the year" etc. I am aware of the controversy with Hodgson's medical condition and how AV shot his mouth off about it last fall but must have missed the other issues. Do you have a reference that I can refer to. Much appreciated and thanks in advance

I wasn't referring to any other issues; maybe i was unclear. In saying "Cody-gate" I was making a bit of a joke about how CDC blew up over it. I think the way AV treats players is great, that he doesn't care about any of their previous achievements. If AV were to have had made the assumptions that most of Canucks fans make about Hodgson, he would have likely believed that an esteemed player like Hodgson was telling the truth and was indeed injured. AV seems to go with only what he sees on the ice, doesn't matter who it is, how much they are getting paid, who they are, ect. Hodgson to him seemed to be just a kid a bit sore about not making the team, which I don't see as a completely unreasonable assumption. To me it is just proof that AV really isn't affected by much other than what he sees, and anything beyond it is superfluous. In my opinion, AV, for the most part, will let the best players play, regardless of their history. That's why I feel if a prospect shows up, seems physically fit for the NHL, and demonstrates himself as very coachable and adequately skilled, AV will use him over a player with a more decorated history or a more reliable player with NHL experience (Alberts). So, I feel there is a definite chance that some of these young defenders will get the opportunity. This is all just my opinion; I probably shouldn't have used "we all know about..." language, so apologies if I made it seem there was more behind the AV/Hodgson thing.

Posted Image

bluesy_shoes

#38 filthycanuck

filthycanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:03 AM

<br /><br /><br />

There have been a lot of guys from NCAA that signed as a free agent that went to have successful careers in the bigs. Dustin Penner and Andy McDonald come to mind. I keep my expectations pretty low on NCAA prospects but if Tanev were to get even regular bottom pairing minutes i'd be happy. He sounds like he has some potential though

#39 GZA

GZA

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:11 PM

There have been a lot of guys from NCAA that signed as a free agent that went to have successful careers in the bigs. Dustin Penner and Andy McDonald come to mind. I keep my expectations pretty low on NCAA prospects but if Tanev were to get even regular bottom pairing minutes i'd be happy. He sounds like he has some potential though

until the training camp kicks in, i would keep Tanev below Oberg on the charts. Oberg has already played a couple of games in the NHL and we've yet to see Tanev. i would be surprised if Tanev at the very least isn't the 2nd pairing guy in manitoba next year.

#40 filthycanuck

filthycanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:16 PM

until the training camp kicks in, i would keep Tanev below Oberg on the charts. Oberg has already played a couple of games in the NHL and we've yet to see Tanev. i would be surprised if Tanev at the very least isn't the 2nd pairing guy in manitoba next year.

i was thinking in the long run...but Oberg definetely challenge for a spot for at the very least limited duty

#41 CRAZY_4_NAZZY

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:35 PM

I think the signing of Chris Tanev and Lee Sweatt are almost reassurance prospects incase MG isn't able to find too much depth at the draft for our prospect pool regarding the backend.

2moy3iq.png

#42 AmazingNuck

AmazingNuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,610 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:45 PM

http://rocnow.com/ar...rts/20104060313

“He was an undersized kid,” said RIT hockey coach Wayne Wilson. “He had given up competitive hockey for three years and just played in high school. He was a 5-foot-4, 5-6 defenseman and everyone thought he couldn’t play.”

If anyone was wondering why he was passed on at the draft, he was simply a midget (also didn't really play so..) before his growth spurt. With such a quick growth spurt, he's probably not as coordinated as he should be but that should come with time. Also, with that, he's probably not as well built as he should be, so once he is, he could become MUCH better by adding a physical element to his positional game. I'm more excited about this signing than I was about drafting Rodin or signing any of the other college prospects.

Edited by AmazingNuck, 09 June 2010 - 08:46 PM.

Posted Image

#43 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,792 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:42 AM

I think the signing of Chris Tanev and Lee Sweatt are almost reassurance prospects incase MG isn't able to find too much depth at the draft for our prospect pool regarding the backend.

He needs to sign these guys, since our D prospects were virtually non-existent when he took over. Also, we are missing our 2nd and 3rd round picks this year, so barring a trade for picks we're likely going to end up with only one or two solid prospects out of this draft.

Signing a guy like Tanev is the best way to make up for the drafting mistakes of a few years back without having to give up anything.
Posted Image

#44 filthycanuck

filthycanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:52 AM

He needs to sign these guys, since our D prospects were virtually non-existent when he took over. Also, we are missing our 2nd and 3rd round picks this year, so barring a trade for picks we're likely going to end up with only one or two solid prospects out of this draft.

Signing a guy like Tanev is the best way to make up for the drafting mistakes of a few years back without having to give up anything.

Its a long shot, but signing Tanev and Sweatt means filling up a spot that might be vacant in the Moose Roster. Bieksa leaving town and Oberg or a Hamhuis filling up that slot perhaps?

#45 wolfgang puck

wolfgang puck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:58 AM

[quote name='filthycanuck' date='11 June 2010 - 01:52 AM' timestamp='1276246369' post='8682323']<br />Its a long shot, but signing Tanev and Sweatt means filling up a spot that might be vacant in the Moose Roster. Bieksa leaving town and Oberg or a Hamhuis filling up that slot perhaps?

I think Bieksa will be traded,he's not really progressing and his spot as an offensive defenceman in the top four was taken over by Erhoff who's better in pretty much every department and much more consistant.
Considering his contract,which makes him way overpaid for a 5/6 d-man,and the fact that he does'nt have a NTC I can see him being moved this summer.Hopefully he can fetch a roster forward or nice prospect but will more likely be used to obtain extra picks or move up in the draft.

Hamhuis,I think,will most likely sign here and MG will have to either re-sign one or two of Mitchell (if healthy but very questionable),Rome,or even Lukowich as 5/6/7 defencemen or sign another FA on the market.

By the sounds of it,Oberg should continue to play on the Moose to get lots of ice time and experience in all situations but a call up or two could happen if injuries start to add up.

#46 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,336 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:08 PM

"I've known Chris for a long time so I knew what his hockey make-up was," said Gagner. "His hockey sense is very, very sound. But I mean, everybody's got to be on board. Fortunately, everybody could see it right away." Gagner compared Tanev's style of play to that of a current Canucks defenceman who turned many heads this past season: Christian Ehrhoff.

"He plays a complete game where he wants to be involved in all aspects of it," said Gagner. "He kills penalties, he'll block shots, he'll join the rush five-on-five, he really closes his gaps well, and on the power play he's creative so he knows how to make plays."

Clearly, the Canucks believe they've found a gem.

"We think we've found a really smart hockey player and we didn't have to draft him," said Gagner. "It's a great addition to our prospects pool and we're pretty excited."

He is, too.

"This is something I've looked forward to since I started playing hockey when I was four and it's a dream come true."

Although the Canucks prospects development camp isn't slated to commence until the week of July 5, Tanev is already in Vancouver working out every day with Canucks strength and conditioning coach Roger Takahashi. And so far, the Canucks' newest prized possession likes what he sees.

"I love it; it's a beautiful city," said Tanev, who admitted that his relationship with Gagner did play a role in his decision to choose Vancouver. "And the people seem great."

Now standing six foot two and weighing in at 185 pounds, Tanev intends to bulk up even more this summer with the hope of cracking the Canucks lineup next season. And whether he starts the season in Vancouver or in Winnipeg with the AHL's Manitoba Moose, one thing's for certain: he doesn't have to worry about finding a team anymore.

http://canucks.nhl.c...vid=DL|VAN|home

Edited by playboi19, 29 June 2010 - 12:09 PM.

Subbancopy.jpg

#47 djlegere

djlegere

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:14 PM

I'm loving our College pick ups. Nice work by Gillis. This guy is probably a couple years away but sounds like the potential is there.
Posted Image

Mr. Wiggles, on 23 June 2010 - 01:55 PM, said:
Leafs will make the playoffs, quote me.

#48 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,050 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:45 PM

Awesome read, thanks for posting! I'm really hoping Tanev turns into another burrows-esque story, except at D. If he can fill out that ample frame he sure will be on the right track, and I love the commitment he's putting into it already.

Edited by avelanch, 29 June 2010 - 12:52 PM.

#49 Brunners

Brunners

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,414 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:50 PM

I'm loving our College pick ups. Nice work by Gillis. This guy is probably a couple years away but sounds like the potential is there.

You think that, but from that latest article sounds like he feels he's ready this year and is gonna try and crack the canucks blue line this year. Good on him, if he manages to IMO, good on him. That's the sort of attitude we need.

Posted Image

--

#50 BluXington

BluXington

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 05:57 PM

You think that, but from that latest article sounds like he feels he's ready this year and is gonna try and crack the canucks blue line this year. Good on him, if he manages to IMO, good on him. That's the sort of attitude we need.

The nice thing is I feel a mature confidence from the way he talks.

Not a cocky give me the world on a silver platter attitude allot of talented highly touted prospects have these days.

I can understand why Gillis likes to find and either draft / sign players with good attitudes and high academic accomplishments as if they do have hidden skill it's easy to bring it out of them.

A player can have all the skill in the world and still fail if he can't figure out how to put it all together.

#51 wolfgang puck

wolfgang puck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:40 PM

[quote name='BluXington' date='29 June 2010 - 05:57 PM' timestamp='1277859445' post='8733067']
The nice thing is I feel a mature confidence from the way he talks.Not a cocky give me the world on a silver platter attitude allot of talented highly touted prospects have these days.
I can understand why Gillis likes to find and either draft / sign players with good attitudes and high academic accomplishments as if they do have hidden skill it's easy to bring it out of them.

A player can have all the skill in the world and still fail if he can't figure out how to put it all together.

Are you referring to Bieksa by any chance?

#52 filthycanuck

filthycanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:05 PM

I like the fact this Tanev guy seems to be taking the initiative to get better already even before rookie camp. There's been a lot of good stories in this Gillis regime of guys trying to constantly improve and push themselves with the help of MG and his developmental staff like skill coaches, physchiatrist , nutrionist. Even the now former Canuck Steve Bernier. Everybody told him he was too big and and slow, but this season he lost all the weight and was noticeably faster, shows the effort and character of some of the guys arriving in in this regime. Although it didn't work out, can't help but applaud the guy's effort into getting better (which didn't happen =(

Does anybody know when MG can start looking into the guys that went undrafted? Theres a few notable names that are still out there...a few guys im hoping is Victor Ohman (from what i read, he sounds hes got potential), or the Vesterholm twins (obvious reasons) to get a second look. Can't go wrong with free prospects

#53 BluXington

BluXington

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:16 AM

The nice thing is I feel a mature confidence from the way he talks.Not a cocky give me the world on a silver platter attitude allot of talented highly touted prospects have these days.

Are you referring to Bieksa by any chance?

Bieksas Deffensive skill is debatable.

#54 GZA

GZA

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:26 PM

An article from the province talking about the Canucks adding depth to their blueline mentions Tanev, here's part of that article and link for those who want to read the whole thing

http://www.vancouver...8342/story.html

The growth spurt on defence mirrors Tanev, who actually quit Triple-A minor hockey at age 15 because he was too short to make the top rep teams and too proud to drop down a level or two. Instead, Tanev played only high school hockey in East York, Ont., his NHL dream apparently over.

"Five years ago, I was in Grade 10 and just playing high school hockey, which in Toronto is not very big," Tanev said Wednesday during the Canucks' week-long prospects camp. "I definitely didn't think I'd be here right now. End of Grade 11, I grew about six inches that summer. And after Grade 12, I grew another six inches. I went from five-foot-one and I'm just over six-foot-two now, and I did most of that in a year."

Tanev now has dreams to match his size. He had 24 points and a plus-34 rating in 34 games last season at the Rochester Institute of Technology, and was courted by numerous NHL teams. Eventually, the San Jose Sharks, Columbus Blue Jackets, Washington Capitals and Ottawa Senators also offered contracts, but he chose the Canucks because he knows and trusts Vancouver player-development guru Dave Gagner, whose son Sam skated with Tanev.

"When he was 15, he weighed 120 pounds," Dave Gagner said of Tanev. "He was a late grower, but he always played on the best Triple-A teams in Toronto and in very competitive programs. He just has to get the rest of his body caught up with his height now. He has grown about a foot in the last four years. He's got to adjust to that, but he's got the mind for the game and that's what we're excited about."

The Canucks are excited about a lot more than that.

Given general manager Mike Gillis' immense belief and investment – there are 36 prospects at camp this week; when it began about a decade ago as an "orientation camp" there were 8-10 players – in player development, the Canucks feel they have a bank of talent that will increase in value this season.

That is important.

The draft-night trade for Keith Ballard and free-agent signing of Dan Hamhuis give the Canucks nine defencemen on one-way NHL contracts, so none of the prospects will be making the team in September.

But only Ballard, Hamhuis, Edler and Aaron Rome are signed through 2011. At least one of the blueline prospects, and possibly two, are expected to emerge as NHLers two years from now.

"We're pretty excited because this year is a transitional year where we're going to have a few guys coming into the [system]," Gagner said. "The competition from within is going to be good. Hopefully, it will push everyone throughout the organization."

Sauve, a 220-pound shutdown guy from Montreal, was one of the Quebec League's top defencemen last season. Connauton, a 6-1, 200-pound Edmontonian, established a record for points by a defenceman (72) in a Giants' program that has pumped out NHL blueliners and prospects Mark Fistric, Jonathan Blum, Brett Festerling and Cody Franson in recent years. Oberg, 22, had 26 points in Manitoba and appeared in two Canuck games during his first season of pro hockey.

"Everybody is trying to make this team," Sauve said. "The guy that works the hardest is going to make it. If they like you, they're going to make room for you."

Tanev believes that, too. He has come a long way, literally and physically, in a short time. So has the Canucks' depth.

"Keith Ballard and Dan Hamhuis are great defencemen and they're going to help the Vancouver Canucks," Tanev said. "But it doesn't affect me at all because in the long run, I'm going to have to prove that I can play and stand out myself."

A lot of others will be trying to do the same thing.

© Copyright © The Vancouver Sun

Edited by GZA, 12 July 2010 - 10:28 PM.

#55 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:28 AM

Tanev rocks
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#56 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,050 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:12 AM

I can't wait until he fills out that frame, there is a LOT of potential there, hopefully it is fully realized.

#57 R4ff

R4ff

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:42 PM

It's pretty awesome how defensive competition will be during training camp. Sauve, Oberg, Connauton and now this college stud! So excited how this is going to play out. The Moose are probably more excited than the Canucks right now :lol:
Ben Hutton Sig

#58 bluesy_shoes

bluesy_shoes

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 06:59 PM

Tanev looked very promising tonight. Beside Connauton's more freewheeling style, he looked very composed. To me he was our strongest defenseman positionally, and he looked good getting the puck out of pressure and getting it up to the forwards. He shut down Hall one on one twice, won a footrace back where he used his body really well to gain possession, held a puck battle against two forwards, and blocked two shots in a sequence on the PK to work the puck out of the zone. I thought he played Hall and Eberle's two on one very well, even though they scored. He was within inches of breaking that play up, which is (unfortunately) maybe one of the only highlights of his play that will surface. He was good on the PP and in the offensive zone; he and Connauton made for a very mobile blue line and they seemed to ensure that their forwards always had an outlet pass (both Rai and Schroeder used it well to spread out the play, but the rest of the team could have used it more) There were however a few notable miscues that caused them to lose the zone, especially near the end of the game, but they mostly looked like problems that just need ironing out. His shot was not particularly effective out there, especially due of the lack of it. I also noticed he opted to dump the puck a lot, but I feel that speaks more of the forwards than him. He didn't really reveal if strength is an issue for him, either.

Overall, I am really impressed by his play, he looked like a fairly complete player, though I doubt he is the type of player to throw big hits despite his good size and skating, and I am curious about his ability to shoot. Going into the game, I will admit, he was one of the players (along with maybe 5 others) I was intending on watching closely. I was expecting a player with strong positioning and passing, but I was pleasantly surprised by his defensive play. He ended up grabbing my attention quite quickly, and I watched him and Connauton closely when they were on the ice together. I'll be definitely keeping an eye on him in the coming games. I think he'll quickly climb up the depth charts if he continues with this play.

Posted Image

bluesy_shoes

#59 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:09 PM

From what I saw in the 3rd period vs SJS, Tanev is looking quite good. He will certainly climb up the depth charts very quickly.
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#60 b3.

b3.

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Assistant to Regional Manager
  • 26,532 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:29 PM

He had a slick move tonight to set up a goal, hopefully he keeps it up.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.