from a slick pass from slicky shroeder

#62 Winroba

Winroba

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:04 PM

Tanev is gonna rock and our future defence is set!

Edler - Hamhuis
Ballard - Erhoff
Connauton - Tanev

#63 Donky

Donky

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,682 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:39 PM

Edler - Hamhuis
Ballard - Erhoff
Connauton - Tanev

Yann Sauve says...'don't forget about me!'

Canucks have really become much better at acquiring young defensive prospects over the past 5 years. RIP LB.
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”-Sinclair Lewis

A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."-Albert Einstein

#64 Crowfro

Crowfro

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:32 AM

Yann Sauve says...'don't forget about me!'

Canucks have really become much better at acquiring young defensive prospects over the past 5 years. RIP LB.

Theres always room for a 7th Defenseman

#65 djlegere

djlegere

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:23 PM

Edler - Hamhuis
Ballard - Erhoff
Connauton - Tanev

Most people believe that Oberg and Sauve are higher on the depth chart. But I agree it is exciting to see so many Dmen with NHL potential! I love that Gillis has been aggressive in the College FA market.

Edited by djlegere, 14 September 2010 - 12:23 PM.

Posted Image

Mr. Wiggles, on 23 June 2010 - 01:55 PM, said:
Leafs will make the playoffs, quote me.

#66 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,305 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:26 PM

Most people believe that Oberg and Sauve are higher on the depth chart. But I agree it is exciting to see so many Dmen with NHL potential! I love that Gillis has been aggressive in the College FA market.

IMO Oberg is going to be the call-up guy this year.

I feel that Alberts will be assigned to the Manitoba and will stay there, as he will not be called up because of the risk of recallable waivers.
Posted Image

#67 Alexandre

Alexandre

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:40 PM

Tanev was very impressive against San Jose. Gillis wasn't exaggerating when he said signing him was like getting a free second round pick.

#68 Totes McGoats

Totes McGoats

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,483 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:05 PM

Tanev Post Game:

Tanev played a great game last night, and I hope he continues his play. Funny though, I hope that if he makes the bigs one day, he will learn where to look when doing an interview..... see above video.

Every question he looks to the sides, to the camera awkwardly, at Reidsie....(yep that's her new nickname).... super funny to watch.

Edited by Totes McGoats, 14 September 2010 - 05:11 PM.

Posted Image

Schroeder

#69 DJ Kreuzberg

DJ Kreuzberg

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:48 PM

Oberg? Who would think that? This guy is at least 2 more years away. He is 22, has a year of professional hockey under his belt, and he is getting outplayed by Polasek. He also hasn't make any physical progression since last training camp. Every time i've seen him, I haven't been impressed whatsoever. Many Moose fans also despise him for his lack of physical play or should i say his fear of physical play.

Sweatt will be the first call-up on D as he is exempt from waiver rules.

#70 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,345 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:00 PM

Looks like a great prospect!

I am not sold on Oberg either. He has a high chance of being a good AHL defenseman/nhl call up but a poor chance of being a regular. He had good speed and poise but he lacks the physical edge to be a defensive dman and the offensive ability to become a offensive dman. He will be good for a few games a year as he seems to be more or less reliable. A smaller version of Baumgartner?

Tanev on the other hand looks like he could be a 35-40 point guy with some ability to play the body. Maybe a Sami Salo light? We will have to see how he does on the moose.

Edited by canucklehead44, 14 September 2010 - 06:01 PM.

Sig too big.

#71 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,377 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:17 PM

We went from no legitimate defense prospects when Gillis took over to 5.

Connauton - Tanev

Sauve - Oberg

Andersson

I really can't find any weaknesses on this team anymore.

Depth throughout every position and an elite team in the NHL.

Subbancopy.jpg

#72 Donky

Donky

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,682 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:01 PM

We went from no legitimate defense prospects when Gillis took over to 5.

Connauton - Tanev

Sauve - Oberg

Andersson

I really can't find any weaknesses on this team anymore.

Depth throughout every position and an elite team in the NHL.

I know hey! Very good scouting at the D line position. I consider the forwards Hodgson and Schroeder picks to me gimmes...but the D pickups have all been fantastic organizational picks or FA signings. Impressive.
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”-Sinclair Lewis

A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."-Albert Einstein

#73 Canuckee

Canuckee

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:14 PM

future d

edler-tanev
hamhuis-connauton
sauve-ballard

insert in andersson for one of the prospects that bust or do not live up to expectations. this would be in like 4 years

#74 falcon

falcon

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:26 PM

future d

edler-tanev
hamhuis-connauton
sauve-ballard

insert in andersson for one of the prospects that bust or do not live up to expectations. this would be in like 4 years

What happened to Ehrhoff?

#75 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,347 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:37 PM

What happened to Ehrhoff?

became too expensive?

#76 falcon

falcon

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:22 PM

became too expensive?

I see, but if he gives another performance like the one last year we might want to find way to retain him.

#77 falcon

falcon

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:29 PM

Anyways back on topic, I think Tanev has shown so far in this tournament that he's heads and shoulders above the rest of our prospects. The maturity and smarts in his games is way beyond our other defenders and have, IMO, two games in a row outplayed every defender on the ice. Unbelievable since he's only about three months older than either Connauton or Sauve. Can't wait to see what he looks like against actual pros in the main camp. A year down in the AHL and he'd probably be ready for call up duties.

Yes Connauton was absolutely unreal on the pp and his offensive instincts are probably close to NHL level, but his defensive deficiencies was really apparent and probably needs a couple years in the AHL to iron things out.

Of course, all this was from two meaningless prospect games, but you got to take what you can from what you see.

#78 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:44 PM

Anyways back on topic, I think Tanev has shown so far in this tournament that he's heads and shoulders above the rest of our prospects. The maturity and smarts in his games is way beyond our other defenders and have, IMO, two games in a row outplayed every defender on the ice. Unbelievable since he's only about three months older than either Connauton or Sauve. Can't wait to see what he looks like against actual pros in the main camp. A year down in the AHL and he'd probably be ready for call up duties.

Yes Connauton was absolutely unreal on the pp and his offensive instincts are probably close to NHL level, but his defensive deficiencies was really apparent and probably needs a couple years in the AHL to iron things out.

Of course, all this was from two meaningless prospect games, but you got to take what you can from what you see.

I agree.

Tanev seems to be at the top for me too. I wish we could see Sauve because I've always liked him.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

Posted Image
2 0 14 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#79 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,347 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:06 AM

The pairing of Connauton and Tanev looked outrageous. I'm confident that'll be the top pairing on the Moose by the end of the season. They played off of each other so well and were a great tandem.

#80 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,005 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:51 AM

Tanev I think has vaulted up the depth chart on the roster. But we will see when it comes to pre-season how he does against more experienced NHL'ers.

I'm not sold on Oberg or Alberts however.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#81 gnarbot

gnarbot

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:20 PM

i'm well aware that he's only playing against prospects right now but i think he's been by far the nucks best player. if he continues to play the same in pre-season do you think he could make the team making bieksa expendable

#82 kassasin#9

kassasin#9

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:22 PM

No Posted Image
Posted Image
Credit to Kesler's Happy Dance!

#83 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,502 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:27 PM

i'm well aware that he's only playing against prospects right now but i think he's been by far the nucks best player. if he continues to play the same in pre-season do you think he could make the team making bieksa expendable

no but being a right shot betters his chance of at least landing a spot with the Canucks to start out the season

bieksa will not be disposed of until we get someone equal in value and experience back in return
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#84 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,347 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:12 AM

Tanev wasn't too impressive last night, made some bad choices as to when to jump up into the play (like what everyone was saying Connauton was doing). Tanev and Connauton on the same pairing could end up being quite a killer combo for the moose this year, hopefully a little bit of each rubs off on each other.

#85 bluesy_shoes

bluesy_shoes

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:33 AM

Tanev wasn't too impressive last night, made some bad choices as to when to jump up into the play (like what everyone was saying Connauton was doing). Tanev and Connauton on the same pairing could end up being quite a killer combo for the moose this year, hopefully a little bit of each rubs off on each other.

I didn't get to watch the full game last night, but I noticed this, too. He was on the ice for at least 2 goals against, as well, and I didn't see him contribute too much offensively. Not the most impressive night. I thought Oberg played with some fire in the third. He was looking really good carrying the puck through the neutral zone, and then the goal there. He looked like he was trying to make things happen. I didn't notice him too much defensively for the time I watched, but I liked him more in third than the rest of the tournament, for what that is worth (considering his relatively lack-lustre performance thus far). Its so early on in the season for these guys, it's often hard to ignore question how accurately they reflect what these players can do. I guess we'll see. It's always good (and more difficult) to stay objective, otherwise we get all these guys yelling "bust". And I agree, what an entertaining pairing Connauton and Tanev could be to watch on the Moose.

Posted Image

bluesy_shoes

#86 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,347 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:54 AM

I didn't get to watch the full game last night, but I noticed this, too. He was on the ice for at least 2 goals against, as well, and I didn't see him contribute too much offensively. Not the most impressive night. I thought Oberg played with some fire in the third. He was looking really good carrying the puck through the neutral zone, and then the goal there. He looked like he was trying to make things happen. I didn't notice him too much defensively for the time I watched, but I liked him more in third than the rest of the tournament, for what that is worth (considering his relatively lack-lustre performance thus far). Its so early on in the season for these guys, it's often hard to ignore question how accurately they reflect what these players can do. I guess we'll see. It's always good (and more difficult) to stay objective, otherwise we get all these guys yelling "bust". And I agree, what an entertaining pairing Connauton and Tanev could be to watch on the Moose.

So far they have been the best pairing of the tourney in my eyes. It's like they feed off each other and know what to do when the other one starts rushing the puck. They already have some good chemestry, I can see it just continuing to grow this year on the moose. I wouldn't be surprised if we see them as the top pairing for the moose, on the ice at the end of games and on the 1st PP unit, by season's end.

#87 MrTubesteak

MrTubesteak

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:11 PM

Tanev was impressive all week. Sure he made some defensive gaffs, but the skill is there. Great skater, good passer. Needs to put on 20 pounds though. I think he'll make the Moose and get lots of minutes there.

I see him a lot like Oberg, but only bigger and thus a bigger upside.

#88 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,347 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:31 AM

He's a deadly pairing with Connauton. I'm looking forward to them taking over the AHL.

Edited by avelanch, 21 September 2010 - 10:31 AM.

#89 Verloren

Verloren

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 01:33 AM

He's a deadly pairing with Connauton. I'm looking forward to them taking over the AHL.

I hope Connauton-Tanev become our version of Getzlaf-Perry, except (obviously) as defensemen. Develop together in the AHL and kill the NHL when they come up.

#90 SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,228 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:33 PM

Good article on Chris Tanev published in the Winnipeg Sun:

http://www.winnipegs...0/15541381.html

Tanev making it happen: Puts college on hold to pursue hockey By KEN WIEBE, Winnipeg Sun

Last Updated: September 30, 2010 8:52pm

Chris Tanev didn't want to look back and wonder what might have been.

That's why the rookie blue-liner left the Rochester Institute of Technology Tigers after his freshman year to pursue his dream of playing pro hockey.

Tanev, a 20-year-old from Toronto, will begin the process as a member of the Manitoba Moose after signing with the Vancouver Canucks as a free agent.

"It's an opportunity that doesn't happen for everyone," said Tanev, who is 6-foot-2 and 185 pounds. "I've talked to a lot of people, my family and my friends and it was something I wanted to pursue. You could get hurt or not perform as well as you did in the next three years (of college) and then you might look back. I can always go back to school, that's how I look at it."

Tanev's lone college season was a riveting one as he scored 10 goals and piled up 28 points while posting an impressive plus-34 rating on a Tigers team that upset Denver and New Hampshire to qualify for the Frozen Four national championship at Ford Field in Detroit, where they lost to the Wisconsin Badgers.

"You can't ask for anything else," said Tanev. "It was really fun. We weren't expected to do really well but we proved everyone wrong. The Frozen Four was incredible. Not many guys do that in four years of college and I got to do it in my freshman year."

There were plenty of NHL teams interested in Tanev's services (a total of five offered contracts and several others showed interest) and after weighing out all the issues, it came down to the Canucks and Ottawa Senators and the team from the west coast ultimately won out.

"The Canucks honestly seemed the most interested," said Tanev, who signed on May 31. "I've known Dave Gagner, the Canucks' director of player development, for a long time because I played against his son Sam (the Edmonton Oilers centre) growing up.

"Dave and Mr. (Mike) Gillis were very influential. The Canucks do everything first class and they're a great organization."

Tanev turned heads during Canucks' training camp and felt comfortable throughout after overcoming an early bout of nerves.

"I was nervous for the first skate and the first game, but I was able to soak it all in," said Tanev, who has been playing defence since the age of eight or nine. "Against Anaheim the other day, I was getting dressed and the Sedins are walking by and tapping everyone on the shin pads and I was like '(Henrik) was the MVP of the league last year.' That was pretty cool."

There should be plenty of cool moments to follow for Tanev as he begins the process of learning the pro game.

"You want to be able to develop your game and eventually hopefully get to the next step, to the NHL," said Tanev. "I'm definitely offensive, but I played on the penalty kill last year and my D-partner and I played against the other team's top line. I move the puck and try to get up on the play."

Tanev's skill-set features a host of attributes that stand out immediately.

"He plays with a lot of energy and he's a good skater," said Moose head coach Claude Noel. "He's a guy who really uses his speed to his advantage and helps out on the breakout. He looks like a pretty heady player."

Tanev is expected to be in the Moose lineup on Saturday when they host the Abbotsford Heat in an American Hockey League pre-season game at the PCU Centre in Portage la Prairie.

Game time is 7 p.m.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.