428 replies to this topic

#91 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 10:49 AM

How's his play with the moose been so far?

Anybody?
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#92 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,939 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 10:56 AM

How's his play with the moose been so far?

Anybody?

he's made some good defnsive plays but also some defensive gaffs (screened his own goalie in the first game). i think he's still adjusting between the difference in intensity and speed of professional hockey. he should be just fine, espescially once he fills out that newly acquired larger frame ;)

#93 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:09 AM

^^ thanks
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#94 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:09 AM

Yeah he did screen his own goalie on one of the goals against. And another one was right after he turned the puck over along the boards in his own zone when he got hit, accounting for his -2 so far in 2 games. But Claude Noel should really be a big help in improving his defensive game, what with his body of work in Milwaukee. They do get lots of practice time this week before playing again on Friday so hopefully he'll become even steadier with time and teaching. However he's been getting PP minutes so that's nice to hear.

Edited by Canvoucer Vanuck, 12 October 2010 - 01:09 AM.

RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#95 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,939 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:14 PM

Posted Image
Posted on: Wednesday, October 20th, 2010
By Tim Campbell, Winnipeg Free Press

The NHL was just another television program for Toronto area teenager Chris Tanev as he grew up playing local junior and high school hockey.

Small -- as in well under five-foot-six -- and skilled, big-league scouts had bigger fish to fry.

Then three years ago, the defenceman went through a rapid growth spurt and now at six-foot-two, he has an NHL contract and has skated in his first training camp with several NHL stars.

"Three years ago, I grew almost a foot in a year," the Manitoba Moose defenceman said on Tuesday. "That was a really big jump. It wasn't that hard. Surprisingly, I handled it OK, just rolled along with it. But it did surprise me I grew that much."

Just 20, Tanev is playing right alongside several Vancouver Canucks prospects and high draft picks on the Moose blue-line.

Draft status -- he has none -- is of no consequence to him. Not even using a snub as motivation.

"I couldn't care less," Tanev said. "Some guys get drafted, some don't. It's not a big deal. You play to have fun."

He had plenty of that last season as a freshmen at RIT in the Atlantic Hockey conference of the NCAA, helping his school to its first-ever Frozen Four appearance.

His 10 goals and 28 points in 41 games attracted attention, of course, and it was the Canucks who convinced him a real professional opportunity was realistic.

"It was actually a long decision, took a month and a half to decide," Tanev said about leaving school. "Originally I wasn't going to leave but after I got input from a lot of people, my friends and my family, I felt it was an opportunity that doesn't come along that often.

"Being a free agent, you never know what could happen in the future of your career. This was an opportunity and I chose to take a chance to try to play at the NHL level."

His three-year entry-level deal is for $900,000 per season in the NHL, $67,500 while in the AHL with the Moose all wrapped in a six-figure signing bonus. The Canucks clearly put some money on the table.

"Talking to the Vancouver people, they really think he's a late bloomer," said Moose assistant coach Keith McCambridge. "He grew a lot the year before he went to college and had a good year last year. He has the offensive side but in college, he was a shut-down guy against top lines, too.

"I had a chance to see him this summer at the development camp and the first impression was that he skates real well and sees the ice well. His first three strides really jump out."

That puts Tanev into a very compatible group, since the Moose are remade as a quicker, more skilled team for 2010-11.

Still, this is a lot to process, advancing from Tier II junior to the AHL in less than 18 months.

"He comes from a good program and the base is there," McCambridge said. "He just has to process at a quicker speed. Things happen more quickly but overall I think he's done a good job for a kid coming to his first year of pro. He's adjusted well.

"His positioning is good, his anticipation is good and his explosiveness skating, well, with the guys we have on this back end this year, he's one of those added benefits, that he can join the attack. At times last year, we didn't have that because of injuries."

Tanev said he's worried less about how far he's advanced and more about what Moose head coach Claude Noel needs to see to give him ice time.

"I'm just here to do my job," said Tanev, who played nearly 20 minutes in last Saturday's game against Grand Rapids. "Whenever the coaches tell me to go out and I will and do the best I can, whether I play two minutes or 25 minutes a game.

"(The Canucks) said to get here and work hard to earn your ice time. It's a new team here, Claude's the coach and he's going to choose who he wants to play. So, if you're not practising well or working hard, you're not going to play."

http://www.moosehockey.com/moosenews/407/1941

#96 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,298 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:18 PM

Good to see he got close to 20 minutes per game. I hope he improves. Otherwise he might end up with the fishes.
Sig too big.

#97 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,939 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:17 AM

On the whole, he's been pretty good. just a couple mistakes here and there. as he fills out his frame and acclimates to the AHL he should steadily improve.

#98 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:51 PM

Tanev played 4 mins 23 secs in the first period of his NHL debut with the Canucks. Looks like he'll get 10 to 12 mins of ice for his first game. He handled the 1st few shifts allright. Looking forward to seeing this kid play over the next couple of weeks.

#99 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,939 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:04 PM

a nice solid first game effort so far. i have no complaints.

#100 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:34 PM

He was on the ice for the 2nd goal against. Not Tanev`s fault, it was a weird bounce of the boards which Luongo missplayed, but if Tanev was back a second earlier he might have had a deffensive play on the puck.

#101 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,939 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:41 PM

He was on the ice for the 2nd goal against. Not Tanev`s fault, it was a weird bounce of the boards which Luongo missplayed, but if Tanev was back a second earlier he might have had a deffensive play on the puck.

the epitome of picking nits?

#102 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:56 PM

the epitome of picking nits?

epitome of responding without reading the post you are responding to. (read: Not Tanev`s fault)

#103 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:24 PM

Tanev, great play to break up a 2 on 1 late in the 3rd period. Impressive play by the kid in his first game.

Edited by WHL rocks, 18 January 2011 - 09:26 PM.

#104 bluesy_shoes

bluesy_shoes

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:54 AM

Pretty good game. Looked like he was pretty self-conscious out there in the first period, like he was doing everything again for the first time. After he settled in, he looked better. By the third, he looked like he wanted the puck, which is great. Good position on that chance that looked like a 3 on 1, was a bit lucky but flicked his leg out at the right time, so kudos. Nice little flail afterwards, clearly has a flair for the dramatic, haha. I think he'll continue to get more and more comfortable. I liked the fact it was a pretty quiet game for him, I think good things are to come. Hope to see him on the roster again.

Posted Image

bluesy_shoes

#105 Alexandre

Alexandre

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:16 AM

What I saw in Tanev in his first NHL game. Good first pass, doesn't panic, good mobility has good instincts. A 6'2" 200lbs defenceman with a right shot and only turned 21 years old. Not bad for a free agent signing.

#106 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,939 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:52 AM

epitome of responding without reading the post you are responding to. (read: Not Tanev`s fault)

except you went on to say "if Tanev was back a second earlier he might have had a deffensive play on the puck." which was the epitome of picking nits. It doesn't matter if you prefaced it my saying it wasn't his fault, since you still say he should have done something to stop it.

I read your entire post, mr. I-make-assumptions-because-I-am-being-defensive-even-though-I-was-correctly-called-out.

#107 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,976 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:20 AM

For a rookie defenseman when you only notice him for making good plays, that's actually fairly rediculous.

#108 Alexandre

Alexandre

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:16 PM

For a rookie defenseman when you only notice him for making good plays, that's actually fairly rediculous

The way you spell ridiculous is ridiculous. :)

#109 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:45 PM

except you went on to say "if Tanev was back a second earlier he might have had a deffensive play on the puck" which was the epitome of picking nits.  It doesn't matter if you prefaced it my saying it wasn't his fault, since you still say he should have done something to stop it.I read your entire post, mr. I-make-assumptions-because-I-am-being-defensive-even-though-I-was-correctly-called-out.

You claim to have read my post so that can only mean you are puposefully making false claims and attempting to attribute words to me which I simply did not say. ie: "you still say he should have done something to stop it" Where did I say Tanev should have done something about it??

"I make assumptions because i am being defensive.." lol ??? makes no sense, sounds like Sarah Palin

It seems to me that it is you who is "nit picking" my post and making assumptions on what I meant to say rather than reading my post as it is. If you saw the play than you would know that Tanev was a few feet away from the puck when it was poked in, as a matter of fact he even took a swipe towards it but missed. He might have had a chance to make a play on it if he was a few feet closer. That does not mean it was his fault it just means he almost bailed out Luongo, who clearly missplayed the puck as I said earlier. If you didn't see the play in it's entirety it's not my fault, go invest in a pvr.

Edited by WHL rocks, 19 January 2011 - 03:42 PM.

#110 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:58 PM

Tanev was just unlucky to be a -1 because of that weird bounce off the end boards. Lui definitely should have had that, but that's how it is. I thought Tanev looked pretty heady and he opted for the safe play in order to not make mistakes out there which is a good thing. Even watching on the TV I felt that he was very self-conscious in his play. For sure he must have been nervous but that didn't show in his play at all which tells you something about his poise, so good first game for him in the NHL. We could have ourselves a gem here in Tanev.
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#111 djlegere

djlegere

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:26 PM

Tanev sort of reminds me of Edler when he first played on the team. Good first pass, likes to put the puck towards the net and never seems to panic. For 21 year old he looks solid. Another win by Gillis.
Posted Image

Mr. Wiggles, on 23 June 2010 - 01:55 PM, said:
Leafs will make the playoffs, quote me.

#112 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,939 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:44 PM

agreed. he might not be going back down.

#113 filthycanuck

filthycanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 01:11 AM

Tanev has looked better than i expected up here with the big club, here's hoping he keeps it up. I like the fact that there hasn't been many if any glaring errors the last 2 games. He looks a whole lot better than Evan Oberg from his first game last year thats for sure

#114 Evil Roach

Evil Roach

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:18 AM

I thought this kid was going to be shaky at first, but he really suprised me that he handled himself on the ice pretty well for such a young defensemen.

#115 Donky

Donky

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,680 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:27 AM

Tanev could make Gillis look like a genius. What a steal. Already he has done more than anyone could have expeceted from an undrafted FA once considered too small for pro hockey. Simply rocketing up the depth chart. And only 21!
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”-Sinclair Lewis

A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."-Albert Einstein

#116 Donky

Donky

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,680 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:38 AM

Tanev impressive

As Henning sees a lot of the Moose' games, he wasn't surprised to see rookie defence-man Chris Tanev jump in and play so impressively in his first NHL game on Tuesday in Colorado.

Tanev, who just turned 21 on Dec. 20, has been quietly having an excellent rookie professional season in Manitoba. It's remarkable to think that just 18 months ago he was playing Tier 2 junior 'A' hockey in Ontario. Tanev was signed as a free agent in the offseason by the Canucks after he'd completed one season of U.S. College hockey at the Rochester Institute of Technology.

"You could see the hockey sense, the poise with the puck and that he's a great skater," said Henning. "He handled it well."

Tanev also showcased his ability to make a good first pass and made a terrific play on a Colorado three-on-one when defence partner Keith Ballard got caught.

Tanev was never drafted primarily because he grew late. He's 6-foot-2, but still needs to put on some pounds.

His listed weight of 185 pounds is considered to be generous.

"He's got to get stronger," said Henning. "But he's been working on that."

Just wait til this kid fully matures. I have a great feeling about him.
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”-Sinclair Lewis

A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."-Albert Einstein

#117 filthycanuck

filthycanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:46 AM

put 15 lbs on this guy, and he'd be a regular NHLer. Imagine when his talent continues to develop

#118 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:31 PM

I love this guy's game so far. He gets his first NHL point, an assist on Hamhuis PP goal. He had a couple chances to get a goal as well, the best one a point shot kicked out by Lehtonen. He has poise and makes a good first pass. Like others said earlier when this kid fills out a bit(15 lbs), he'll be a treat to watch.

16:22 TOI, 1 Assist, +1

Edited by WHL rocks, 24 January 2011 - 10:44 PM.

#119 2 Sedins 1 cup

2 Sedins 1 cup

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,116 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:50 PM

Hes playing so good. Very good pick up by Gillis & he's only 21. Such a smart player.
Posted Image
rk17

Quote me on this. The Flames will win their Second Stanley Cup before the Canucks win their first. :P

Sometimes people shouldn't have their opinions heard.

Led Zeppelin is overrated.

#120 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,316 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:52 PM

Tanev looks like a blue chipper.

Subbancopy.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.