The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick McNally | D

b3.

249 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not like I'm going to mourn the loss or anything, but I can't say I understand it either. Seems to be a character kid apart from the cheating scandal, and definitely is a player we're missing from our prospect pool style-wise.

I had similar thoughts and wonder if Benning wasn't pleased with McNally's position.

Last month he was quoted as follows:

“We have talked about it, but we haven’t decided what direction we are going to go in yet,” Benning said. “That’s why I really don’t want to comment on it. I want to talk to the agent next week. We are undecided on him right now.”

So they were undecided and wanted to speak to McNally's agent 5 weeks ago. Now they've presumably had time to speak tot he agent and they aren't going to sign him. Benning spoke of having other prospects being ahead of him but didn't say McNally isn't good enough to sign.

The statement last month about wanting to speak to the agent, and now saying they weren't going to sign him, suggests to me that either McNally didn't want to come here, or was taking a line in negotiations that Benning wasn't willing to accede to.

This is just speculation based on that statement last month, of course.

Well that's unfortunate but it would seem they have other plans for that contract slot and we do have other offensive D prospects.

I guess Benning knows what he's doing...

Wasn't McNally one of our supposed franchise defensemen at some point? Now it's all on Hutton and Subban. I mean it's all on Hutton. No I mean what? These guys aren't franchise defensemen!

Hutton might have an outside chance of becoming a "franchise" D in a cross your fingers manner of speaking. But really he and Subban both project to be merely good, likely somewhat complimentary offensive D.

Subban's likely got a #3 or #4 ceiling and Hutton a #2 or #3 (if everything goes well) or they could both end up as secondary, bottom pairing/spare offensive guys (Yannick Weber-esque) or career AHL'ers at this point. Pretty much the same as McNally's floor/ceiling.

So I do see the redundancy. But I don't see a whole lot of people claiming any where "franchise D" blue chippers.

2010 - "He's going to be in college for years and years, but don't worry, that's free development time for him and he'll be NHL ready by the time it's done."

2015 - "His college days are done now and our patience has been rewarded by watching him leave as a free agent, but don't worry, he'll likely amount to nothing."

I hope Benning has another college free agent prospect he's looking at, because we really don't have the depth to be passing on guys like McNally.

That's the one thing I wonder, is if he has something else up his sleeve where he can either sign or trade for a number of other players and doesn't want to be stuck at the contract limit. Otherwise it just seems like a waste even if McNally played in the ECHL.

I have to assume McNally asked not to sign with us, maybe to finish his last year of school or just to go somewhere else.

The statement last month about wanting to speak to the agent, and now saying they weren't going to sign him, suggests to me that either McNally didn't want to come here, or was taking a line in negotiations that Benning wasn't willing to accede to.

This is just speculation based on that statement last month, of course.

I don't think he could negotiate for anything extra really. Maybe bonuses but it should be a basic 2 year ELC otherwise. Maybe it is that he doesn't want to sign here, but it'd have to be pretty cut and dry to already have made a statement saying they won't sign him.
There's just more to this we don't know.

Had high hopes for this kid, a very solid package, it's hard to figure with Benning's eye for talent but lots of rumours McNally wanted to stay in the East which may be what's going on here, rrreally too bad.

2010 - "He's going to be in college for years and years, but don't worry, that's free development time for him and he'll be NHL ready by the time it's done."

2015 - "His college days are done now and our patience has been rewarded by watching him leave as a free agent, but don't worry, he'll likely amount to nothing."

Passed on Klingberg to draft him too.

Something tells me that he was on Gradins wish list...

Yes, because Gradin is well known as our college scout... huh?

I think what DeNiro meant was that John Klingberg (Dallas Stars) was on Gradin's radar. Klingberg played in Sweden and Gradin is one of our scouts in Sweden. He pushed the Canucks to draft Edler if I remember correctly...

I do believe it is just Benning turning the tables on McNally, who I think didn't want to come here anyway so Benning just said

"we don't want you" first.

Well done...but disappointing all the same.

This scenario seems likely to me as well. I gave up on this guy signing here long ago. But at five years and counting it's sure been a hell of a ride.

That was before Clendening, Corrado, Hutton, Tryamkin, Pedan, Subban, Sautner, etc.

Overall it was a 4th round pick from 5 years ago, I wouldn't be too upset. He did have a good year despite the injury, but remember, he was one of the most experienced players on the ice which probably helped him a lot.

What a bad decision...

We throw around contracts to long shots like Sautner, but can't even spare one for a 4th round pick who is exactly what we need in our system?

Sure we might not end up regreting this, but I don't understand not seeing what the kid has at least. Now the 2010 draft is officially a write off for us.

I'm going to trust JB on this one as I'm sure he's seen McNally play full games a lot more times than we have!

I guess if McNally does turn into a stud for San Jose, we'll be even on the Patrick White for Christian Ehrhoff salary dump trade.

Of course wouldn't it be Ironic if with that last pick in the 7th round we got from San Jose, D-man Tate Olson of the Prince George Cougars plays in the NHL.

• 7 months later...

Not a Canucks prospect anymore but it's still interesting to check up on old prospects once and awhile.

I was worried we may have let a solid puck mover go, but so far it's not looking like we gave up much. McNally has just 1 assist in 20 games in the AHL so far.

Meanwhile Tate Olsen who was drafted with the pick acquired for McNally is having a breakout season in the dub. Just a smart maneuver by Benning to not let a pick go to waste and to turn it into a player that could potentially fill a role for us down the road.

Archived