The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick McNally | D

b3.

249 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Matt Bugg, a prospect writer for Dobber Hockey said "Steal by Van; Prep D of the year, and a big (6'2) mobile rearguard"

EDIT: He's also said "McNally could be a steal because he's got the mobility and hockey sense to be a #3 defender. At 6'2, those are rare"

It'll be interesting to see what we really have when this guy moves on to a more challenging league next year. As it stands, i don't really know what to think of him from what little i've seen and read. Certainly that clip posted in this thread emphasizes the lower level of play in his league, but that doesn't necessarily mean he was a bad pick. Could be quite the opposite and a steal because other teams were worried about it like i am.

The US is really pumping out some quality, well-rounded dmen.

What I like most about McNally is the fact that he is going to Harvard. You can never over-rate intelligence in a player, especially in a dman. He will be a coachable kid. Unforuntately, we only had one pick in the first four rounds, so this kid will probably be a bit over-hyped, just because we have nobody else to get excited about.

I also like his bloodlines. Dad an FBI Agent and former football player.

Seems like a really good pick for a fourth rounder and since we have Oberg and likely Sauve,Connauton,and Tanev playing in the AHL next year we can let him develop in college and not rush him into the pros.

At this rate we'll have a log jam of good puck moving D-men in several years,if they all develop well,which is a nice problem to have.Did'nt hurt Chicago having lots of that this year.

What I like most about McNally is the fact that he is going to Harvard. You can never over-rate intelligence in a player, especially in a dman. He will be a coachable kid. Unforuntately, we only had one pick in the first four rounds, so this kid will probably be a bit over-hyped, just because we have nobody else to get excited about.

I don't really think he'll be over-hyped as we've loaded up on good D propects in the last couple years and most have played really well and are turning pro next year so I think most of the attention will be focused on them.

Also,we don't get a lot of info about the NCAA,except stats,so no one will see his games on TV or see him in any tournaments or prospect games.Also,he most likely won't be coming to prospect camp either so no one will see what he can do until he finishes at Harvard.

A good comparable is Jeremy Price who was picked in the 4th round last year and played in Colgate and had what sounded like a good freshman year but is pretty much off the radar,even on here.

The FBI agent dad thing is pretty cool.I wonder if he has any dirt on Gillis yet....

I don't really think he'll be over-hyped as we've loaded up on good D propects in the last couple years and most have played really well and are turning pro next year so I think most of the attention will be focused on them.

Also,we don't get a lot of info about the NCAA,except stats,so no one will see his games on TV or see him in any tournaments or prospect games.Also,he most likely won't be coming to prospect camp either so no one will see what he can do until he finishes at Harvard.

But last year Price was drafter behind Schroeder, Rodin, and Connauton, all of whom had excellent years. For McNally, he's our top pick, despite being a fourth rounder. I think expectations will be riding higher than most fourth rounds picks just because fans will be desperate to get something out of the draft.

I am slightly confused, it sounds like he wont be going to the NCAA next season, or at least there is a chance that he wont. Will he or wont he play for Harvard next season? And if he doesn't, why not?

I hope he does play for Harvard next season. I don't mind the fact that he will naturally take his time developing, it could make him a very good pro for a very long time. He seems like a guy with a lot of potential, I just hope he at the very least plays in the USHL if not the NCAA next season.

But last year Price was drafter behind Schroeder, Rodin, and Connauton, all of whom had excellent years. For McNally, he's our top pick, despite being a fourth rounder. I think expectations will be riding higher than most fourth rounds picks just because fans will be desperate to get something out of the draft.

Good point and that could definitely be the case,depending on how things go with Keith Ballard.

I think Ballard will be the one with most of the expectations on him due to what we gave up to get him,especially if Grabner really produces in FLA and Howden has a big year in Jr.If Ballard turns out to be a key player in a good cup run then the deal will be look great and McNally won't have much pressure beyond that of a typical 4th rounder. However,if Ballard is a flop or gets injured,then the fan base will really start to focus on McNally as someone who can hopefully salvage something from this draft.

Personally,I think trading for Ballard was a good move even if it did mean losing our 1st round pick.

Also,Patrick McNally sounds like he could have a similar upside to some of the 1st round D-men but is a much riskier pick due to not being able see him compete against better competition.Hopefully he can continue to raise his game as he moves along and turns out to be a major draft day steal.

I am slightly confused, it sounds like he wont be going to the NCAA next season, or at least there is a chance that he wont.  Will he or wont he play for Harvard next season?  And if he doesn't, why not?

I hope he does play for Harvard next season.  I don't mind the fact that he will naturally take his time developing, it could make him a very good pro for a very long time.  He seems like a guy with a lot of potential, I just hope he at the very least plays in the USHL if not the NCAA next season.

I was wondering that myself but the HF article that was quoted earlier made it sound like he's playing another year at the same prep school.This was also stated in one of the province/sun articles today so it sounds like he wont play at Harvard until the following year which means he's probably 5 years away from turning pro unless he quits school early.

Good thing MG has already acquired Oberg,Connauton,and Tanev and they're turning pro next year as McNally is likely to be long term project.

I think Mcnally could be a massive steal. He has all the assets to be a great puck moving/power play quarterback D-man but it's just hard to evaluate him because he played in a crappy high school league. I think after 3 or 4 years of college he will be able to step in and make a difference.

He very well could be a steal...that said...he is several years away from the NHL and the fact that he is attending Harvard makes me wonder if he could be lost to a different career path.

that's the reason why he dropped so much (and the fact that he's committed to Harvard for 3 years, although I guess he could leave after two like Schroeder did (i think?), I expect him to play hockey though, and get a decent job after he retires.

• 3 weeks later...
“I talked about that with a lot of teams,” said McNally, who has been told by more than one scout that his style of play is similar to that Washington Capitals defenceman Mike Green. “I think I’d be willing after two years, if the team thought I was ready and if I thought I was ready, to maybe make the jump. But at this time, I can’t really say.” “It’s really up to the Canucks organization,” he added. “But I’m hoping that I’ll be ready as soon as I possibly can be.”

Good news, I thought he was going to stay at school for the full 4 years. Another steal pick by Gillis.

hopefully he's a little bit better than Mike Green in his own end but if he can produce that type of offense from the back end then he would be fun to watch. 2 years of NCAA and maybe another year with the Moose and he probably could challenge for a spot but the thing is would he be willing to leave early to play in the AHL or would he rather wait out the 4 in order to make the jump to the NHL.

Archived