The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick McNally | D

b3.

249 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Vancouver Canucks have selected defenseman Patrick McNally, 115th overall.

screenshot20100626at115.png

NHL Central Scouting's Gary Eggleston

“Pat is an offensive defenseman whose strength is in rushing the puck and putting constant pressure on the defense. He is a very good skater with mobility, speed and quickness. His skating skills and quick hands allow him to escape trouble and move the puck quickly out of danger. In the defensive zone he has very good lateral mobility and closes quickly on the puck carrier, forcing him into quick decisions or mistakes. He is an excellent passer whose passes are accurate and proper for the situation. Doesn't play a physical game, but relies on quick stick and smarts to gain puck possession.”

• As a defenseman, McNally led his Milton Academy squad in scoring this past season with 35 points (14-21--35) in 28 games. He was named the New England Prep School Defenseman of the Year, U.S. Hockey Report's Prep Defenseman of the Year and was a First Team All-New England selection.

• Currently a junior, McNally is set to join Harvard University for the fall of 2011. His father, Tom, played football at Columbia.

• He is a product of the Suffolk Pride in Athletics program which has produced a number of current NHL players including: Eric Nystrom, Mike Komisarek and Chris Higgins.

• His most memorable hockey moment was winning the 2009 Massachusetts Tier I Under-18 State Championship in overtime – “we played a team with much more talent then us, but we outworked them and won”.

• His very first hockey team was the Long Island Gulls and he likes old western movies because he used to watch them with his grandfather.

FAVORITES

NHL Team: New York Islanders

NHL Player: Mark Streit

Shootout move: “Fake shot to backhand, back to forehand”

Goal celebration: “Raise my arms”

Video Game: NHL ‘10

Movie: Sleepers

TV Show: Seinfeld

Actor: Mel Gibson

Cartoon: Peanuts

Pump-up song: “Lose Yourself” by Eminem

Sport (other than hockey): Lacrosse

Breakfast food: Bagel with peanut butter

Superhero: Superman

• As a defenseman, McNally led his Milton Academy squad in scoring this past season with 35 points (14-21--35) in 28 games. He was named the New England Prep School Defenseman of the Year, U.S. Hockey Report's Prep Defenseman of the Year and was a First Team All-New England selection.

• Currently a junior, McNally is set to join Harvard University for the fall of 2011. His father, Tom, played football at Columbia.

• He is a product of the Suffolk Pride in Athletics program which has produced a number of current NHL players including: Eric Nystrom, Mike Komisarek and Chris Higgins.

• His most memorable hockey moment was winning the 2009 Massachusetts Tier I Under-18 State Championship in overtime – “we played a team with much more talent then us, but we outworked them and won”.

• His very first hockey team was the Long Island Gulls and he likes old western movies because he used to watch them with his grandfather.

McNally, a new junior at Milton Academy this year, arrived on the scene with little advanced fanfare, but by the end of the Flood-Marr Tournament, was the talk of the scouting community.

A 6'2", 180 lb. Glen Head, Long Island native, McNally is a product of the Suffolk PAL program—Eric Nystrom, Chris Higgins, Mike Komisarek, James Marcou and many others are among those who preceded McNally through coach Alexi Nikiforov's highly-regarded program.

McNally's size, athleticism, agility and passion for jumping into the offense and taking it end-to-end caught the eyes of scouts, fans and opponents. For Milton, he was the missing ingredient, an offensive blueliner who could jump-start Milton's attack—and often finishing it by lighting the lamp at the other end. He gave Milton a flair, and helped make the Mustangs an extremely entertaining team to watch.

Not many teams have a defenseman as their leading overall scorer. This season, Milton did, as McNally finished the season with a 14-21-35 line in 28 games.

Paul Cannata, Milton's head coach, said, "He certainly stepped in and was a very good hockey player for us. He created a lot of offense from the blue line and provided a lot of spark. He’s a great student, a good kid and a pleasure to coach.

"He loves to play hockey, carry the puck, skate, and make plays. There's a freshness to his game that is really enjoyable. You don't want to coach that out of him."

McNally, who is expected to go somewhere between the second and the fourth round of June's NHL draft, will matriculate at Harvard in the fall of 2011.

U.S. Hockey Report Prep Defenseman of the Year.

McNally, a new junior at Milton Academy this year, arrived on the scene with little advanced fanfare, but by the end of the Flood-Marr Tournament, was the talk of the scouting community.

A 6'2", 180 lb. Glen Head, Long Island native, McNally is a product of the Suffolk PAL program—Eric Nystrom, Chris Higgins, Mike Komisarek, James Marcou and many others are among those who preceded McNally through coach Alexi Nikiforov's highly-regarded program.

McNally's size, athleticism, agility and passion for jumping into the offense and taking it end-to-end caught the eyes of scouts, fans and opponents. For Milton, he was the missing ingredient, an offensive blueliner who could jump-start Milton's attack—and often finishing it by lighting the lamp at the other end. He gave Milton a flair, and helped make the Mustangs an extremely entertaining team to watch.

Not many teams have a defenseman as their leading overall scorer. This season, Milton did, as McNally finished the season with a 14-21-35 line in 28 games.

Paul Cannata, Milton's head coach, said, "He certainly stepped in and was a very good hockey player for us. He created a lot of offense from the blue line and provided a lot of spark. He’s a great student, a good kid and a pleasure to coach.

"He loves to play hockey, carry the puck, skate, and make plays. There's a freshness to his game that is really enjoyable. You don't want to coach that out of him."

McNally, who is expected to go somewhere between the second and the fourth round of June's NHL draft, will matriculate at Harvard in the fall of 2011.

U.S. Hockey Report Prep Defenseman of the Year.

Good read, thanks dude....

Another offensive d-man in the mid-rounds, could be a steal in five years

Scouting Report: Was rated 40th among North American skaters in Central Scouting's final rankings, 44 spots higher than in their mid-season rankings... has a very projectable frame, puck-moving skills and offensive upside... led Milton Academy in scoring in 2009-10 with 34 points in 27 games... will attend Harvard University in 2011-12, so he's expected to play for the USHL's Indiana Ice in 2010-11... is very athletic and mobile, and his strength is jumping up into the play...

http://www.forecaster.ca/cbc/hockey/draft-team.cgi?Van&DraftID=23#7887

Sounds like a kid who just dropped in the draft. Could be a steal @ late 4th round.

Central Scouting Profile: Ranked 40th

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?dpid=2758

NHL Team: New York Islanders

NHL Player: Mark Streit

Shootout move: “Fake shot to backhand, back to forehand”

Goal celebration: “Raise my arms”

Video Game: NHL ‘10

Movie: Sleepers

TV Show: Seinfeld

Actor: Mel Gibson

Cartoon: Peanuts

Pump-up song: “Lose Yourself” by Eminem

Sport (other than hockey): Lacrosse

Breakfast food: Bagel with peanut butter

Superhero: Superman

Edit: Bieksa3 has it posted..

any analysis on his defensive play?

Is he strong in his own end, physical?

Is he like a Kevin Connauton?

In the defensive zone he has very good lateral mobility and closes quickly on the puck carrier, forcing him into quick decisions or mistakes.

Ummmm Gillis just called next year's draft deeper...wasn't it supposed to be a crap shoot after the first 10 picks next year? Hence why he didn't move up.

He also called McNally a "smart Kid" and his dad is a FBI agent.

LOL That's pretty nutty...

Was Gillis on 1040 or NHL Network or something?? I must have missed it, shart

found this article on hockeysfuture

Scoring 14 goals and 34 points in 27 games is tough as a defenseman. It's even tougher in the ultra-competitive Independent School League.

Patrick McNally jumped 44 spots between the mid-term and final Central Scouting rankings this spring.

Milton Academy's leading scorer gets more impressive all the time. Ranked 40th in Central Scouting's final list, the Glen Head, N.Y. native is Harvard-bound after one more year of prep hockey – a year in which he would gladly eschew all personal achievements in favor of a New England Prep Elite Eight title.

Whether he likes it or not, the awards may follow. This year's New England Prep School Defenseman of the Year and U.S. Hockey Report Prep Defenseman of the Year could probably suit up for most D-I teams here and now. For McNally and Milton head coach Paul Cannata, next year is all about fine-tuning and getting the most out of one more season.

"He's a strong skater on the back end, good puck skills and vision, poise almost to a fault with the puck," said Cannata. "He's got a high level of puck comfort. He loves going on offense, loves to create offense, loves to play on his toes. He plays with energy, he's a good kid, a good student."

Another product of Long Island's esteemed P.A.L. youth program, which has produced pros like Chris Higgins, Eric Nystrom and Mike Komisarek, McNally seems to have the pedigree necessary for a successful career in the sport. The son of a University of Colombia football player, McNally also won a national crown with the Boston Jr. Bruins U18 midgets, and was coached by a hockey skills guru for the better part of a decade.

"I used to skate every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday morning with this coach, Alexei Nikiforov [who works with Komisarek and many within the Islanders' organization] from when I was 8 through when I was 16. I just kept getting better. He always emphasized skating and puck-handling ability," McNally said.

Following some sound advice and a good word from then-Yale assistant coach C.J. Marottolo (now the head coach at Sacred Heart), Cannata and McNally were united in Milton, Mass., and McNally's stock began to soar.

It was hard for scouts not to notice the attention-grabbing blue-liner. After all, he wasn't the team's top offensive producer by accident.

"He's a leader through his play. He loves to have the puck, and he has the puck a lot," described Cannata. "He certainly loves to play with the puck. If he doesn't have the puck, he wants to get the puck, and ... it's certainly a strength of his. He's certainly good with the puck and he's going to be around the puck, even as a defenseman.

"Somehow, he's going to be involved in moving the puck up-ice and in all three zones, that puck's going to go through Pat. He also plays with a sense of, 'if I don't have the puck, how can I get the puck back?', more so than your typical stay-at-home, Steady Eddie defenseman. Pat wants the puck."

"I love the power play. My favorite situation's a five-on-three," confirmed the playmaking puckster.

Like any teenage prospect, the potential for size and strength can be difficult to peg. But given his genetics, current build and work ethic, the issue of bulk shouldn't be a big one for McNally.

"He's obviously a long body. He's a pretty skinny kid at the moment, so I think people will perceive that there's a physical upside that way," said Cannata. "His father is a good-sized guy, a former football player. Patrick's young, and even on the young side of his age group in terms of overall physical development, so there's certainly an upside. He's certainly going to grow and fill out a bit."

From the player's perspective, he's been "steadily gaining weight all season," he said, and has a target weight of 195 by the end of the summer.

One thing the prospect won't need to work on is his skating, as he considers his "skating ability and my ability to move the puck, more than anything," to be his strongest suits.

The defenseman looks to a solid yet underrated pro for inspiration, and it doesn't hurt that he plays on McNally's favorite team.

"I love watching Mark Streit. I'm a big Islanders fan, and I like the way he plays," he said of the Swiss Olympian. "When I was younger, I loved Kenny Jonsson. He was the captain of the Islanders when I was young, and he played defense, so I looked up to him."

"Tom Poti comes to mind," said Cannata, when asked who McNally might compare to down the road. "Somebody else who comes to mind -- though the height isn't quite the same -- is Brian Rafalski, who's a guy that was probably one of the first of this new breed of post-NHL-lockout defensemen. Those types of guys, he's a poor-man's version of right now."

Cannata isn't impressed simply with his star's on-ice abilities; he's an asset in civvies, too.

"He's a super kid. I guess I would describe him as affable. He's a cheery kid, he's a friendly kid, he's a positive kid; he's not that defenseman that functions with a snarl, and he doesn't live that way either," praised the coach. "He's a good student, he's a real positive, energetic young man. He's a good lacrosse player. He's athletic, he's academic, he's a good kid socially. There's no question that that all adds to his package or intrigue as well."

McNally knows that he still has to focus harder on his defensive responsibilities, along with continuing to learn the more nuanced aspects of the game, like vision and "picking his spots," as Cannata put it.

But mostly, he's simply excited about hockey.

"I'm really excited to play for Coach [Ted] Donato, Coach [Patrick] Foley and Coach [bobby] Jay: that's why I chose Harvard, because I really felt comfortable with the coaching staff. I liked each of them a lot, and I'm getting real excited to play for them."

Copyright 2010 Hockey’s Future. Do not reprint or otherwise duplicate without permission of the editorial staff.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/12230/2010_prospects_patrick_mcnally/

Archived