The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick McNally | D

b3.

249 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What does being genuinely nice and well spoken, have to do with brains? Unless your a high school dropout, there isn't anyone that can "seem" genuinely nice and well spoken. You really wanna compare Harvard, the 2nd ranked University in the world, to Western Michigan, the 181th? Come on.

And just because you go to University, doesn't make a person smart. It's like saying people that go to SFU for art is smart. No.

You said we should only draft players from the ncaa, because they are smart, I said Connauton WAS drafted from the NCAA, yet you call him stupid. your logic is clearly a failure, and now you backtrack and scramble to adjust your statement to compare the type of schools now.

So what you're saying is we should only draft from what... the top 10 universities in the world?

#1	University of Cambridge				United Kingdom

#2	Harvard University				United States

#3	Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)	United States

#4	Yale University					United States

#5	University of Oxford				United Kingdom

#6	Imperial College London				United Kingdom

#7	UCL (University College London)			United Kingdom

#8	University of Chicago				United States

#9	University of Pennsylvania (UPenn)		United States

#10	Columbia University				United States

Why does anyone even bother to make comparisons? Especially, when they don't seem to know anything and are just reading reports.

All, anyone should do, is hope he continues putting up points, decide hockey is priority, and give up Harvard and join the AHL. Louis Leblanc route. Than, start analyzing him.

How the hell, is there a guy saying that McNally isn't physical, doesn't have high offensive talents, or not great defensively. Where is this coming from? It's all coming out of a random guy's ass. Absolutely, garbage.

You can't tell if he's physical, because he's a 20 year lanky kid that needs to bulk up. That alone, won't tell you how bad or great defensively he is.

One thing for sure, is he was drafted because of hockey sense. He's not a stupid kid, he goes to Harvard. That's what sets him apart from Kevin Connauton, who lacks brains. I wouldn't worry about McNally's defensive game..

Anyways, for a 4th round pick. He's already exceeded all expectation. Definitely, him and Lebate are the two, most interesting prospects at the moment because they are turning into real prospect. Not like, that Rai guy, who was never good at anything to begin with.

This is why, you draft college players in late rounds. You get interesting prospects. It's not like the CHL, where they play so many games, that you know what you're going to get most of the time.

PS - Mike Green is dumb like Kevin Connauton. I guarantee you, that McNally won't be nor Mike Green or Poor mans Mike Green. If you watch hockey enough, you can clearly tell the thinkers of the game, from the guys who stay in the league just based on skill. If, only Mike Green had a brain....just like, if only Jay Bouwmeester had a personality. Those small things make a player from being good to great.

PS - Mike Green is dumb like Kevin Connauton. I guarantee you, that McNally won't be nor Mike Green or Poor mans Mike Green. If you watch hockey enough, you can clearly tell the thinkers of the game, from the guys who stay in the league just based on skill. If, only Mike Green had a brain....just like, if only Jay Bouwmeester had a personality. Those small things make a player from being good to great.

WTF are you talking about? Where is the minus when we need it, WHY DID YOU TAKE IT AWAY!!!!!!!! MIke is Green is not a dumb player at all. Connauton is not a dumb player infact! Why are you calling our highest scoring defencemen in our AHL team a dumb player! Craig McTavish has been phrasing his intelligence, and has called a very smart player. WTF. LOL

What does being genuinely nice and well spoken, have to do with brains? Unless your a high school dropout, there isn't anyone that can "seem" genuinely nice and well spoken. You really wanna compare Harvard, the 2nd ranked University in the world, to Western Michigan, the 181th? Come on.

And just because you go to University, doesn't make a person smart. It's like saying people that go to SFU for art is smart. No.

So are you saying that McNally's intelligence in terms of school work translates across to hockey sense, and that this should apply across all pro sports (MLS/NBA/NFL/MLB)?

As for University rankings, how do they compare them? Polls of the undergraduates? Research grant funding for research laboratories? History?

McNalley interview:

http://www.gocrimson.com/sports/mice/2011-12/files/TWIHH_McNally_111223.MP3

not sure what he says, since I can't stream at work, but I'm guessing it's just about harvard's season so far, and how he's at the top of their scoring, and near the top of the NCAA for d-men in PPG.

Harvard plays #18 ranked North Dakota today and tomorrow. it'll be aired nationally on fox college sports, which I apparently do not get... When I was in Chicago it was included in the basic cable package, but here in Washington you need a special sports package... it wouldn't be a problem if it was one month from now and we were in our new house, but it's not an option right now.

You said we should only draft players from the ncaa, because they are smart, I said Connauton WAS drafted from the NCAA, yet you call him stupid. your logic is clearly a failure, and now you backtrack and scramble to adjust your statement to compare the type of schools now.

So what you're saying is we should only draft from what... the top 10 universities in the world?

#1	University of Cambridge				United Kingdom

#2	Harvard University				United States

#3	Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)	United States

#4	Yale University					United States

#5	University of Oxford				United Kingdom

#6	Imperial College London				United Kingdom

#7	UCL (University College London)			United Kingdom

#8	University of Chicago				United States

#9	University of Pennsylvania (UPenn)		United States

#10	Columbia University				United States

I didn't say that we should draft NCAA players because they were smart. I said, that we should draft NCAA because players are more unknown. Everyone knows that Connauton was drafted in the NCAA. That doesn't make him smart.

Stop taking things out of context. It really makes it pointless to respond to you. Plus, the fact that you're pretty damn boring to argue with. Tell us something, we don't know already. Just the fact, that you base everything off useless stats ruins your credibility. Using +/- to judge a player's defense ability?

You compare him to Mike Green? FFS. That alone, makes me not want to care what you think.

WTF are you talking about? Where is the minus when we need it, WHY DID YOU TAKE IT AWAY!!!!!!!! MIke is Green is not a dumb player at all. Connauton is not a dumb player infact! Why are you calling our highest scoring defencemen in our AHL team a dumb player! Craig McTavish has been phrasing his intelligence, and has called a very smart player. WTF. LOL

Nice work buddy. Very rational post.

According to you, just because you can put up points means that you are smart.

You're such a simpleton.

So are you saying that McNally's intelligence in terms of school work translates across to hockey sense, and that this should apply across all pro sports (MLS/NBA/NFL/MLB)?

As for University rankings, how do they compare them? Polls of the undergraduates? Research grant funding for research laboratories? History?

If you know anything about hockey or even played in your life. There are a few different kind of players. Those who, think the game and those who just play.

Gretzky's famous quote being "Go where the puck is going to be, and not where it is" or something a long the lines. It sounds all simple, but when your in the game. You'd realize it's not as easy as you think.

Anyways, I'm done with this topic. I don't need to argue over people, who don't know how to think. No point, for me to waste my time. It's usually the case that, everyone thinks their experts and think they know everything. All, i'm going to do is wait, and you'll see what I mean, when you "ACTUALLY" watch them "PLAY".

I didn't say that we should draft NCAA players because they were smart. I said, that we should draft NCAA because players are more unknown. Everyone knows that Connauton was drafted in the NCAA. That doesn't make him smart.

Stop taking things out of context. It really makes it pointless to respond to you. Plus, the fact that you're pretty damn boring to argue with. Tell us something, we don't know already. Just the fact, that you base everything off useless stats ruins your credibility. Using +/- to judge a player's defense ability?

You compare him to Mike Green? FFS. That alone, makes me not want to care what you think.

I never compared Connauton to Mike Green outside of his ability to put up points, and I have never used +/- to judge someone's defensive ability as it is a misleading stat. You really are quite bad interpreting posts and maybe it really would be for the better if you didn't continue this discussion.

Harvard’s McNally Named ECAC Hockey Rookie of the Month

McNally_Patrick-16.jpg

McNally is tied for 23rd nationally in scoring (photo courtesy Kevin Burns).

ECAC Hockey Release

CAMBRIDGE, Mass.—Freshman defenseman Patrick McNally of the Harvard men's hockey team has been voted ECAC Hockey/Fischer Hockey Rookie of the Month for December, the league office announced Tuesday.

McNally paced Harvard with eight points and six assists in four December games, leading the Crimson to a win and two ties. He tied for fifth nationally, first among defensemen and first among freshmen, with two points per game during the month and tied for third with 1.5 assists per game. He was honored as ECAC Rookie of the Week Dec. 13.

The Glen Head, N.Y., native began the month with consecutive three-point games, the first two of his career. McNally logged three assists in a 4-4 tie at Massachusetts Dec. 2 and added a goal and two helpers in the Crimson's 4-3 win at Princeton Dec. 10. In last weekend's two-game series at No. 18 North Dakota, he scored a first-period goal to help Harvard tie UND, 4-4, Friday and registered an assist in Saturday's loss.

For the season, McNally is the national scoring leader among freshmen at 1.17 points per game on four goals and 10 assists in 12 games. He ranks third in scoring among all Division I defensemen.

Well deserved recognition for Patrick!

Being #3 in national scoring for defensemen is fantastic production, especially for someone in their first season of NCAA hockey.

I'd love to be able to see him play first-hand, but the gluttony of reports praising him will have to suffice for now.

I never compared Connauton to Mike Green outside of his ability to put up points, and I have never used +/- to judge someone's defensive ability as it is a misleading stat. You really are quite bad interpreting posts and maybe it really would be for the better if you didn't continue this discussion.

Same regarding my post. I was asking how you (Rey) link quality of school (and how that quality of school is ranked) vs hockey sense/smarts.

Well deserved recognition for Patrick!

Being #3 in national scoring for defensemen is fantastic production, especially for someone in their first season of NCAA hockey.

I'd love to be able to see him play first-hand, but the gluttony of reports praising him will have to suffice for now.

Yeah, he really is having a hell of a season so far. I'm looking forward to watching Harvard on TV VS Yale on Jan 27th (it's broadcast nationally on NBC Sports Network, formerly Versus). It'll be my first chance to see his game live.

Yeah, he really is having a hell of a season so far. I'm looking forward to watching Harvard on TV VS Yale on Jan 27th (it's broadcast nationally on NBC Sports Network, formerly Versus). It'll be my first chance to see his game live.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll surely be watching as well.

Its difficult to gauge the strengths and weaknesses of a player simply through media reports and scoresheets, so I relish any opportunity to see our prospects play live.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll surely be watching as well.

Its difficult to gauge to strengths and weaknesses of a player simply through media reports and scoresheets, so I relish any opportunity to see our prospects play live.

same. you never can get a full story about how a prospect is performing (or any player for that matter) just by going off of media reports and stats sheets as those usually just focus on offense and even then are just a quick synopsis with personal bias.

Great article by Jeff Angus... Canucks semi-insider (broke the bieksa signing and a bunch of other stuff) as well as fantasy hockey analyst extraordinaire.

Crimson Rising - Patrick McNally

angus_j

January 05 2012 09:52AM

McNally_Patrick-16.jpg

Patrick McNally playing as a member of the Harvard Crimson.

(Photo courtesy canucks.com)

The Canucks didn’t pick until the fourth round back at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, thanks in large part to the Keith Ballard trade (the team gave up its first round pick, which Florida used to select WHL winger Quinton Howden). With the 115th overall pick, the Canucks took skilled American defenseman Patrick McNally.

McNally was a very interesting pick at the time, as he represented a significantly long-term investment. He still had one more year of prep school hockey to play, as he wasn’t eligible to begin his college career until the fall of 2011 (he had already verbally committed to Harvard). The fact that he had another year of school before starting his college likely scared off a few NHL teams (he was projected to go anywhere from the second to the fourth round at the draft).

McNally is now a member of the Harvard Crimson, a school which competes in the ECAC (Eastern College Athletic Conference) in the NCAA’s top division. Harvard isn’t a noted hockey school, although recent Montreal first round pick Louis Leblanc suited up there for a year before turning pro. Another guy you may remember, Steve Moore, played his hockey there as well.

Not much was known about McNally when he was drafted. He was playing hockey at the Milton Academy, a prep school in New England. In McNally’s last season there, the Mustangs won the State Championship after finishing with an impressive 26-3-1 record. For his part in the team’s success, McNally was named as New England Prep Player of the Year.

It is always a risk to draft players out of high school, as the quality of competition is often lacking (although the Canucks have had success there recently with goaltender Cory Schneider). Still, McNally’s offensive skills were obvious. Milton Academy’s head coach had lots of praise to give to him:

"[McNally] certainly stepped in and was a very good hockey player for us. He created a lot of offense from the blue line and provided a lot of spark. He’s a great student, a good kid and a pleasure to coach. He loves to play hockey, carry the puck, skate, and make plays. There's a freshness to his game that is really enjoyable. You don't want to coach that out of him."”

NHL Central Scouting agreed:

“Pat is an offensive defenseman whose strength is in rushing the puck and putting constant pressure on the defense. He is a very good skater with mobility, speed and quickness. His skating skills and quick hands allow him to escape trouble and move the puck quickly out of danger. In the defensive zone he has very good lateral mobility and closes quickly on the puck carrier, forcing him into quick decisions or mistakes. He is an excellent passer whose passes are accurate and proper for the situation. Doesn’t play a physical game, but relies on quick stick and smarts to gain puck possession.”McNally’s freshman season with Harvard has been a resounding success. He was recently named as the ECAC’s Rookie of the Month for December, after recording 14 points in 12 games. Along with junior defenseman Danny Biega, he makes up the most important part of one of the best power plays in college hockey (Biega and McNally are second and third in points-per-game for defensemen in the entire country, respectively).

McNally compared himself to Mark Streit back before the draft, and the similarities are obvious. McNally is still pretty lanky, but he has projectable size with his 6’2” frame. He skates with a lot of confidence, and he loves to have the puck on his stick as much as possible (some positive attributes also shared by Montreal defenseman PK Subban). McNally closes gaps really quickly with his quick lateral movements and directional changes. Harvard doesn’t play in the toughest conference in D-1 hockey, but McNally is succeeding at a very high level against a much higher level of competition than he faced last season.

The Canucks don’t need (nor would they want) to rush McNally out of college and it wouldn’t be a surprise to see him finish a full four-year term at Harvard (meaning he wouldn’t start his professional career until 2015). The window to win in Vancouver with the current core will be long closed at that point, but having a steady stream of affordable young players is the key to sustainable success in the salary cap era. Not to mention the fact that McNally is being billed as a potential power play quarterback who can skate a regular shift without being a defensive liability, and there is reason to get excited over this prospect who we should be hearing more about.

Archived