The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick McNally | D

b3.

249 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

harvard wasn't in the top 16 at the end of the season, but their performance in the playoffs may have impressed the ncaa selection committee enough to earn an entry into the final dance (the last goal was an empty netter), but it's a long shot. we should find out soon.

If only it could be like golf where the player can choose not to receive any benefits to retain their amateur status.

Oh well... hopefully McNally is rich and can afford all the playoff tickets for the Canucks, lol.

Well he goes to Harvard. That either means he's rich or very much in debt, the first being more likely considering where he went to high school.

Well he goes to Harvard. That either means he's rich or very much in debt, the first being more likely considering where he went to high school.

or he's getting a full scholarship, like most athletes in the NCAA. odds are his prep school was on scholarship too. I know I was offered a scholarship to a prep school for high school hockey back when i was in bantam. I probably should have tried to convince my parents to allow me to accept it, but my mom was scared of letting me move across the country by myself as a 15 year old. it probably would have been much different if the school was driving distance from our house, like it was for patrick and his family.

or he's getting a full scholarship, like most athletes in the NCAA. odds are his prep school was on scholarship too. I know I was offered a scholarship to a prep school for high school hockey back when i was in bantam. I probably should have tried to convince my parents to allow me to accept it, but my mom was scared of letting me move across the country by myself as a 15 year old. it probably would have been much different if the school was driving distance from our house, like it was for patrick and his family.

I was under the impression that Harvard didn't give full scholarships to their athletes. I swear I read it somewhere...

*two minutes pass*

http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/womswim/recruiting/myths.html

"No athletic scholarships are awarded"

I was under the impression that Harvard didn't give full scholarships to their athletes. I swear I read it somewhere...

*two minutes pass*

http://www.hcs.harva...ting/myths.html

"No athletic scholarships are awarded"

No athletic scholarship doesn't mean McNally isn't on another type of financial aid.

http://www.c2educate.com/financial-aid/leveling-the-field-ivy-league-financial-aid/

Look back at the 2010 draft we really messed that one up by trading away our first 3 picks. This was actually very very deep draft. Of course this is nothing new of our incompetent scouting team for misjudging the talents again.

By trading away just our first round pick (25th) we missed out on:

Evgeny Kuznetsov

Charlie Coyle

Emerson Etem

Brock Nelson

Justin Faulk (dude's already better than Ballard)

Jon Merrill

Christian Thomas

Devante Smith-Pelly

Tyler Toffoli

Most of those guys are ranked top 3 on their respected team's draft talents on hockeyfuture

Look back at the 2010 draft we really messed that one up by trading away our first 3 picks. This was actually very very deep draft. Of course this is nothing new of our incompetent scouting team for misjudging the talents again.

Evgeny Kuznetsov

Charlie Coyle

Emerson Etem

Brock Nelson

Jon Merrill

Christian Thomas

Devante Smith-Pelly

Tyler Toffoli

Most of those guys are ranked top 3 on their respected team's draft talents on hockeyfuture

Well I guess we'll just have to wait until 2015-2016 to see where those kids are at when their time comes?

Evgeny Kuznetsov

Charlie Coyle

Emerson Etem

Brock Nelson

Jon Merrill

Christian Thomas

Devante Smith-Pelly

Tyler Toffoli

lol you are assuming our scouting staff are good enough to recommend these players to Gillis.

• 2 months later...

Freshman standout

Canucks draftee Patrick McNally just completed a solid freshman season at the University of Harvard…wait, what? Harvard? They play hockey at Harvard?

They sure do. Not only does the prestigious university produce American Presidents and Nobel Prize Winners, it has also produced a few NHL players lately as well. McNally may find himself on the list of former Crimson in the League one day, but he has some work to do before then.

CANUCKS EXTRAS

jul1011_camp09_rr.jpg

More prospects features

Beukeboom talks Corrado

Matson as relentless as ever

Coach Dennehy on Cannata

Not your average Joe

The 6-foot-2 defenseman looks to be on the right track. In two seasons since being chosen by the Canucks in the fourth round, he was named the Boston Prep School Player of the Year while playing for Milton Academy, and followed that up this season being named to the ECAC All-League Third Team, ECAC All-Rookie Team, and was a finalist for ECAC Rookie of the Year.

He posted 28 points (6-22-28) in 34 games, helping the Crimson to a 13-10-11 record. The native of Glen Head, New York, exploded onto the scene with 17 points (4-13-17) in his first 14 games.

It takes great discipline to be a student athlete in the NCAA, the vigorous task of managing academics and athletics can be challenging at times. McNally was brought up on discipline.

His father Tom was also an Ivy League student athlete, captaining the football team at Columbia University. McNally looks to his father as an example for his student-athlete life.

“My father was always an enormous influence in my academic and athletic life,” said McNally. “He always taught me to work hard in both areas and stressed the importance of showing respect to my teachers and coaches. He also stressed doing things the right way and the importance of being able to look at yourself after a game knowing that you gave your best. Without his guidance I know I would not be in the position I am in today.”

McNally is a pure offensive defenseman that can rush the puck up the ice and quarterback the power play. However, he knows that to be successful in the future, he will need to be good at both ends of the ice and that's something he plans to improve on during his time at Harvard.

“I know that if I ever want to play at the NHL level my defensive game has to improve,” he said. “Over the course of the year working with our coaches, especially defensive coach Albie O'Connell, I believe I have become more conscious in my own end and more aware defensively. I hope to continue my improvement in the defensive zone and become as responsible as I can be.”

jul0911_camp07_rr.jpgMcNally will wrap up his first year at Harvard shortly, but don’t expect to see him frequenting the beach this summer. His pursuit of academic and athletic excellence will keep him busier than ever.

“This summer I will return home for about a month after school before going back to Harvard to take a class and workout with our strength and conditioning coach.

“Hopefully after a summer of skating and working out hard I can return as a stronger hockey player.”

Judging by McNally’s work ethic, they don’t just play hockey at Harvard, they live and breathe it.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=632783&navid=DL|VAN|home

Kid looks to be on the right track, and has a great head on his shoulders. Can't wait to see him in the AHL, and then hopefully the NHL.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Canucks Nation has McNally with 28 virtual points in the NHL and that was based on last year.

Sign him up should be good for 35 virtual points this year!

We are on our way to a virtual Stanley Cup guarantiedlll

Seriously though this kid is going to be good for real.

Quote from Canucks Nation below:

Thanks to Gabe Desjardins and his NHL equivalency (NHLE) number, we have some rough tools that allow us to project Price's production were he to move to the NHL next season. NHLE is only intended to be a snap-shot and it has some limitations, but it's based on the offensive performance of players who moved from one league to another in consecutive seasons.

This method tends to underestimate the difficulty of leagues that are substantially weaker than the NHL. This happens because only the top players get called up to the NHL – before the call-up, they were on the first line and playing the power play; after the call-up, they’re 3rd or 4th liners. This cuts down on both their overall ice time, and on their power play time, which is when they’d get the best opportunities to score.

Thomas Drance calculated the NHLE for several Vancouver prospects back in May. Here are the defensemen:

Prospect League Age NHLE G NHLE A NHLE Pts Patrick McNally NCAA 20 6 22 28 Henrik Tömmernes SEL 21 7 13 20 Jeremy Price NCAA 21 2 18 20 Kevin Connauton AHL 22 7 9 16 Frank Corrado OHL 19 1 10 11 Adam Polasek AHL 20 1 6 7 Yann Sauvé AHL 22 2 4 6 Sawyer Hannay QMJHL 19 0 1 1

Archived