The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick McNally | D

b3.

249 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well this is too bad, particularly in light of his December birthdate. What the heck do the Canucks do with him? He had a very promising freshman season.

Ideally he transfers to a 'hockey factory' school like Michigan or Wisconsin where the academic standard is a little less rigorous.

Well this is too bad, particularly in light of his December birthdate. What the heck do the Canucks do with him? He had a very promising freshman season.

Ideally he transfers to a 'hockey factory' school like Michigan or Wisconsin where the academic standard is a little less rigorous.

Hockey-wise, Wisconsin would probably love to have him, he could end up being a player in the model of Justin Schultz if his rookie season is indicative of anything. Education-wise, I doubt any University would accept the transfer after his semi-expulsion due to cheating on an exam. Seeing as he has withdrawn from Harvard entirely now, my money would be on him taking the route of going pro, which may not be the optimal path, but it's pretty much his only one.

Doubt any school is gonna take him. And I wouldn't put too much into Farhan devji saying he probably won't turn pro. At this point what has he got? If he's as good as they say offensively he's got a shot in Kalamazoo for sure.

I wonder is the wolves would even sign him? I mean not saying he won't, but they would have to be high on him enough to think he would make an impact on their team to want to sign him. After all they are paying his salary...

Another thought too is would it be legal for gillis to even talk to the wolves (or mcnally, for that matter) about it during the lockout? I don't think he can be in any way involved in helping a player get a contract.

The more I think about it, it's a tough spot for him to be during the lockout. He might not be good enough to get a pro team to give him a shot and I doubt gillis is allowed to say help a brotha out.

He could end up quarterbacking the Fyfe Flyers powerplay hahaha

Doubt any school is gonna take him. And I wouldn't put too much into Farhan devji saying he probably won't turn pro. At this point what has he got? If he's as good as they say offensively he's got a shot in Kalamazoo for sure.

I wonder is the wolves would even sign him? I mean not saying he won't, but they would have to be high on him enough to think he would make an impact on their team to want to sign him. After all they are paying his salary...

Another thought too is would it be legal for gillis to even talk to the wolves (or mcnally, for that matter) about it during the lockout? I don't think he can be in any way involved in helping a player get a contract.

The more I think about it, it's a tough spot for him to be during the lockout. He might not be good enough to get a pro team to give him a shot and I doubt gillis is allowed to say help a brotha out.

He could end up quarterbacking the Fyfe Flyers powerplay hahaha

Obviously Gillis and the Wolves staff talk regularly, so that isn't an issue. Going by the recent drunk driving issue with the Red Wings prospect, I'd also say him talking to McNally isn't a problem as Detroit was able to talk to their player about the situation during the lockout.

Obviously Gillis and the Wolves staff talk regularly, so that isn't an issue. Going by the recent drunk driving issue with the Red Wings prospect, I'd also say him talking to McNally isn't a problem as Detroit was able to talk to their player about the situation during the lockout.

yeah they can talk all they want with people not part of the NHLPA (wolves staff, and players without a Canucks contract, McNally included)

This is a shame. Although a worthless comment as each situation is different, but only about 12% of players drafted after the 3rd round make it to the NHL and after getting kicked out of Harvard going pro has become 100x more important in terms of career options.

I am pulling for the guy. I don't condone cheating but I can see how he made that mistake. Quite frankly it is not uncommon to have students talk to each other when writing a take home test.

Good luck Patrick.

New Article....What are the odds that this article would come out on the same day McNally's suspension was made official.

Crimson’s McNally two-way defenseman seeking one-way ticket to NHL

By Richard Murray

December 10th, 2012

Last season, Patrick McNally was one of the top scorers among defenseman in the ECAC. But now the Harvard defenseman looks to round out his game and establish himself as one of the top, two-way defenders in college hockey.

With increasing time on the power-play McNally was able to thrive in the offensive zone last season. He and his power-play partner, Danny Biega, helped create the top collegiate power-play unit in the country. McNally ranked third in points among defenseman in the ECAC. He had 28 points and only trailed Biega (32) and Union’s Mat Bodie (29). McNally was also the runner-up for ECAC Rookie of the Year honors.

“Pat had an impressive freshman season for us last year,” Harvard coach Ted Donato said. “He was a big reason our power-play was No. 1 in the country. He is a guy that can impact the game in both ends because he can be a force in both the offensive and defensive zone.”

The Vancouver Canucks prospect has had a lot of help from Danny Biega on the power-play, and under the guidance of Biega, McNally is even more comfortable on the power-play now.

“I came in as a freshman, and I got put on the power-play right away,” McNally said.

“It was good for me to be on the power-play, but it was also really tough. I have to thank Danny Biega a lot because he really helped my play. I made a lot of mistakes as a freshman being nervous, but he was always very patient with me. He showed me what to do out there on the power-play, and it has really worked out well for the both of us.”

Although Biega has been instrumental to his growth on the power-play, McNally’s partner during even strength, Brendan Rempel, has really helped establish his play in the defensive end as well as the offensive end. Rempel is known as a very strong defensive player, so his presence also allows McNally to jump into the rush often.

“Playing together has been pretty good so far, and we have some pretty good chemistry,” Rempel said about playing with McNally.

“I am kind of his defensive safety net because I am more of a stay-at-home guy while he likes to jump up into the rush. We don’t have to worry about getting out of position too much because Pat is also very sound in the defensive end. I am very comfortable knowing I have him back there with me especially when I go to make a big hit that he is there to back me up.”

At 6'2”, McNally has the size be a shutdown defenseman, but his skating ability also allows him to jump into the offensive zone. His size and ability is something rare because it allows him to jump into the play, but he can also quickly get back into position if the play turns in the other direction.

“He has his own style to a certain extent because he jumps up into the play a lot offensively,” Donato said. “His stick skills are so good that he can take chances that would put other players in a tough situation. He is also a very strong skater so he is able to recover when he jumps up into the offensive zone, and that really allows him to have a big impact.”

Although he may have the height, McNally has had to battle to put on some of the muscle and weight. The Harvard Athletics website lists McNally’s weight at 190. With a strong off-season program this past season, he put on some weight and his strength is starting to show.

“Off the ice he has really gotten a lot bigger and stronger,” Donato said. “He stuck around last summer to work on his strength and conditioning. He is one of those guys who have height, but the weight hasn’t come on too easily. It is starting to come now though because of a lot of the hard work he put in last summer.”

As a Canucks prospect, McNally has had the opportunity to put himself against some of the top prospects in the CHL and European leagues. Going to college straight from Prep School, he never really had the chance to face players from those leagues.

“I never got to play against some of the older guys that play in the CHL, so it was really helpful to see how I stacked up against some of those guys,” McNally said. “The experience was good for me because I got to see some of the Europeans, who I had very little experience playing with or against.”

As long as McNally stays on track with his development, he could be a very strong NHL defenseman some day soon.

Editor's Note: Hockey's Future has learned that Pat McNally will no longer be with Harvard for the rest of this season. He has left the team.

http://www.hockeysfu...-ticket-to-nhl/

I hadn't seen this before either: http://en.wikipedia....heating_scandal

The 2012 Harvard cheating scandal involved 125 Harvard College students who were investigated for cheating on the take-home final examination of the Spring 2012 edition of Government 1310: "Introduction to Congress". Harvard announced the investigation publicly on August 30, 2012. Dean of Undergraduate Education Jay M. Harris described the case as "unprecedented in its scope and magnitude".

A teaching fellow noticed similarities between a small number of exams during grading in May 2012. The course's professor brought the case to the Harvard College Administrative Board, which reviewed all final exams, leading to individual cases against nearly half of the 279 students enrolled in the class, almost two percent of the undergraduate body. Verdicts were expected by November 2012.

Students claimed that collaboration like note-sharing and consulting teaching fellows was widespread. ... A Harvard Extension School student wrote to The Boston Globe to debunk claims that Platt encouraged collaborating on exams.

A number of students responded to Harvard's announcement by going to the media themselves and "trying to present the other side" of the story. A senior reached out to The New York Observer and Salon. He told Salon "we’re being scapegoated" and that many students are ready to file lawsuits. One student who had contacted a lawyer told The Harvard Crimson "Harvard has created this war between the students and the fricking school, and this is a war that I am willing and very eager to fight." Experts said that Harvard can be sued for procedural errors, lost employment opportunities or intentional or negligent infliction of emotional distress.

Let's summarize here.

Mcnally has been removed from Harvard - due to an alleged 'collaboration' on a take home exam.

His possible options are:

Turn Pro (which due to the lockout - the Canucks cannot sign him ATM; so he would need to sign a PTO/ATO with the AHL or ECHL or Europe)

He can 'sit' the year out and return to Harvard in the fall.

He can find somewhere to play for 'free' to allow his NCAA rights, and then return to Harvard in the fall.

He is NOT eligible for the CHL or USHL due to age

Now - from the articles posted, and reports - it sounds like he is leaning towards turning pro.

The Canucks will speak to him- and suggest what would be best (as he is not part of the NHLPA - thus they can speak to him)

Horrible situation for McNally. I don't think he can turn pro and then go back to school (he would have a pro contract). Or, he takes a year off hockey (compromising development), so he can go back to school (if one would except him). Tough decisions for a guy that may never get a sniff at the NHL. Harvard grad to Kalamazoo or maybe AHL sure is a significant drop in $ and prestige. Big price for poor decision.

Horrible situation for McNally. I don't think he can turn pro and then go back to school (he would have a pro contract). Or, he takes a year off hockey (compromising development), so he can go back to school (if one would except him). Tough decisions for a guy that may never get a sniff at the NHL. Harvard grad to Kalamazoo or maybe AHL sure is a significant drop in $ and prestige. Big price for poor decision.

He CANNOT receive any compensation for playing hockey if he would like to return to Harvard

his withdrawal pretty much signals that he has no intentions of going back to play for them.

Gilman is on Team 1040 and says that Patrick is on a LOA (leave of absence)

So he could go back.

The vibe I got from the very brief discussion - was that the Canucks were going to sign him as soon as the lockout ends.

Archived