The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick McNally | D

b3.

249 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You gotta look at the positives here. This is more of a blow to his education than his playing career.

Harvard is not a great school for turning out NHL players. Their development program pales in comparison to other universities. Their most notable names are Dominic Moore, Craig Adams, and Louis Leblanc. Not a whole lot to brag about.

This could be a blessing in disguise if he can either go play for a better school, or turn pro and play for the Wolves. He's 21 years old, so he should be physically ready for the AHL. And he clearly has the skill to QB a powerplay. This could be a good thing.

You gotta look at the positives here. This is more of a blow to his education than his playing career.

Harvard is not a great school for turning out NHL players. Their development program pales in comparison to other universities. Their most notable names are Dominic Moore, Craig Adams, and Louis Leblanc. Not a whole lot to brag about.

This could be a blessing in disguise if he can either go play for a better school, or turn pro and play for the Wolves. He's 21 years old, so he should be physically ready for the AHL. And he clearly has the skill to QB a powerplay. This could be a good thing.

It's going to be tough for him to play elsewhere. It's probably too late for him to transfer into another program/school. Turning pro will be tough on a college kid. There's a reason why he was suppose to be a long term project. Throwing him in the Wolves too early might also ruin his career. The Canucks need to be careful of what they do with him. Plus, due to the lockout. I'm not so sure the Canucks can sign him to a contract.

I think they asked Gillman on Team 1040 a day ago, don't think the Canucks really know what to do with him.

Best idea for the kid is to sit down and views his options. I honestly don't think he is ready for the Pros because he hasn't rounded out his game yet. Jumping in too early will ruin him. No CHL team holds his rights. Best thing just might be to lose the season and try to enroll elsewhere next season. Still a really raw hockey player, so even if he gets an offer, is it in his mindset that he's for sure going to be a NHL'er?

It's going to be tough for him to play elsewhere. It's probably too late for him to transfer into another program/school. Turning pro will be tough on a college kid. There's a reason why he was suppose to be a long term project. Throwing him in the Wolves too early might also ruin his career. The Canucks need to be careful of what they do with him. Plus, due to the lockout. I'm not so sure the Canucks can sign him to a contract.

I think they asked Gillman on Team 1040 a day ago, don't think the Canucks really know what to do with him.

Yea, it's a tough situation with not a whole lot of options open to him. I guess it's too late to transfer to another school for the spring semester, if any school was even willing to take him.

But the bottom line is he's gotta play somewhere. Sitting out a year would likely hurt his development much more than putting him in the AHL too soon. If there was a way that he could play somewhere and return to Harvard next season, that would be the best option, but I don't see that as being a possibility.

The Canucks can't offer him a contract but the Wolves or the Wings can if he does in fact decide to turn pro. I think if he does go that route, he can start off in the ECHL, and then hopefully when the lockout ends the Canucks management can decide if he's ready for the AHL yet. But he's at too crucial of a stage in his development to not play somewhere. If he sat out a year, we might as well just write him off.

Yea, it's a tough situation with not a whole lot of options open to him. I guess it's too late to transfer to another school for the spring semester, if any school was even willing to take him.

But the bottom line is he's gotta play somewhere. Sitting out a year would likely hurt his development much more than putting him in the AHL too soon. If there was a way that he could play somewhere and return to Harvard next season, that would be the best option, but I don't see that as being a possibility.

The Canucks can't offer him a contract but the Wolves or the Wings can if he does in fact decide to turn pro. I think if he does go that route, he can start off in the ECHL, and then hopefully when the lockout ends the Canucks management can decide if he's ready for the AHL yet. But he's at too crucial of a stage in his development to not play somewhere. If he sat out a year, we might as well just write him off.

Though, I'd like to see him Pro ASAP, he is not ready for the AHL. Sitting out is the best option for him, unless he gets an offer from an CHL team. Then, you also have to question his mindset, whether he is confident enough to go full hockey route. He will get destroyed in the AHL. In terms of a project. He's a less physical Kevin Connauton lite 08-09 before Connauton played for the Giants. Also, he will not be able to return to college if he chooses to play hockey elsewhere. Not physically mature to last a whole schedule against men. Really doubt he will do well in the ECHL either.

I'm also still not high on Connauton at all. So, if he isn't going to better than Connauton. Kid is better off in school. Sucks for the Canucks, but with the emergence of Corrado, McEney, and Price. I think they can be okay with McNally taking the year off.

Though, I'd like to see him Pro ASAP, he is not ready for the AHL. Sitting out is the best option for him, unless he gets an offer from an CHL team. Then, you also have to question his mindset, whether he is confident enough to go full hockey route. He will get destroyed in the AHL. In terms of a project. He's a less physical Kevin Connauton lite 08-09 before Connauton played for the Giants. Also, he will not be able to return to college if he chooses to play hockey elsewhere. Not physically mature to last a whole schedule against men. Really doubt he will do well in the ECHL either.

I'm also still not high on Connauton at all. So, if he isn't going to better than Connauton. Kid is better off in school. Sucks for the Canucks, but with the emergence of Corrado, McEney, and Price. I think they can be okay if McNally takes the year off.

He's 21 not eligible for CHL or USHL. His options are to sit or sign a pro contract

I'm also still not high on Connauton at all. So, if he isn't going to better than Connauton. Kid is better off in school. Sucks for the Canucks, but with the emergence of Corrado, McEney, and Price. I think they can be okay with McNally taking the year off.

Emergence of McEneny?

What emergence?

The only thing I worry about is that he'll be 22 next season. If he spends another 2 or 3 years at Harvard, he'll be 24 or 25 when he's done college.

And then if he needs more seasoning after that in the AHL, he'll be 25 or 26 by the time he's ready for the NHL. I don't know what the Canucks had in mind when they drafted him, but that's a pretty long term project.

I think if he is done with school and wants to turn pro, the AHL/ECHL is risky, but it could also fast track his career. He needs to decide now what's more important to him, his education or his hockey career. Because the odds of him cracking the NHL out of college as a 24 year old are pretty low. But if he is able to handle the competition in the AHL, he can spend the next 3 years honing his game there, and try and crack the NHL at 24.

The only thing I worry about is that he'll be 22 next season. If he spends another 2 or 3 years at Harvard, he'll be 24 or 25 when he's done college.

And then if he needs more seasoning after that in the AHL, he'll be 25 or 26 by the time he's ready for the NHL. I don't know what the Canucks had in mind when they drafted him, but that's a pretty long term project.

I think if he is done with school and wants to turn pro, the AHL/ECHL is risky, but it could also fast track his career. He needs to decide now what's more important to him, his education or his hockey career. Because the odds of him cracking the NHL out of college as a 25 year old are pretty low. But if he is able to handle the competition in the AHL, he can spend the next 3 years honing his game there, and try and crack the NHL at 24.

The reason why he was drafted lower than he was suppose to, is because he was planning to spend 4 years in Harvard. Probably can't do that anymore, but spending 2 years on a college team that can round him out will be more beneficial than throwing him into fire.

Matt Gilroy like path. McNally's father is a FBI i believe. Should be smart not to throw into his son into a situation with no future unless they feel he's 100% going to be in the NHL.

The reason why he was drafted lower than he was suppose to, is because he was planning to spend 4 years in Harvard. Probably can't do that anymore, but spending 2 years on a college team that can round him out will be more beneficial than throwing him into fire.

Matt Gilroy like path.

No it was because he was headed back to prep school.

Taking a year off at 21 is just a bad idea IMO. Even if he's just playing in a beer league for free beer, it's better than sitting.

You have to look at it in perspective. Huge holes in his defensive games, and is not physical at all. He's a twig. Pro shouldn't be an option. He can go play in all the beer leagues he wants, but we won't hear about it. If it was an option, Gillman would be more confident in answering a question about McNally's future. He politely gave a "no comment'.

He's the same size as Tanev.

His skating and positioning are going to be what helps him make the big leagues.

It's gonna be up to McNally what he wants to do. If he wants to turn pro, the Canucks would likely let him.

Taking a year off at 21 is just a bad idea IMO. Even if he's just playing in a beer league for free beer, it's better than sitting.

You have to look at it in perspective. Huge holes in his defensive games, and is not physical at all. He's a twig. Pro shouldn't be an option. He can go play in all the beer leagues he wants, but we won't hear about it. If it was an option, Gillman would be more confident in answering a question about McNally's future. He politely gave a "no comment'.

He's the same size as Tanev.

His skating and positioning are going to be what helps him make the big leagues.

It's gonna be up to McNally what he wants to do. If he wants to turn pro, the Canucks would likely let him.

He has struggled in his season this year. Can blame the scandal but can't imagine he has any confidence to go pro. He looked lost at times, positioning has been poor. It's not up to the Canucks they still have to find a place go him to go.

he can't just sit out this year and then transfer to a new school because he wouldn't be able to play for the new school next season either thanks to the NCAA transfer rules stating he'd have to be at his new school for a full year before being eligible to play for his new team. So he'd have to sit out next season too.

he can't just sit out this year and then transfer to a new school because he wouldn't be able to play for the new school next season either thanks to the NCAA transfer rules stating he'd have to be at his new school for a full year before being eligible to play for his new team. So he'd have to sit out next season too.

If this is the case, his choices are severely limited. It may boil down to either giving up his education for hockey, or, giving up hockey for his education. Taking two years away from hockey would destroy his development. On the other hand, signing a pro contract (K-wings) would be good for his development, but would probably end his educational goals. Yeah, I know, lots of people get their degrees later in life, but for McNally it would mean no scholarships. He would be paying from his bank account, which may AHL or less pay.

If this is the case, his choices are severely limited. It may boil down to either giving up his education for hockey, or, giving up hockey for his education. Taking two years away from hockey would destroy his development. On the other hand, signing a pro contract (K-wings) would be good for his development, but would probably end his educational goals. Yeah, I know, lots of people get their degrees later in life, but for McNally it would mean no scholarships. He would be paying from his bank account, which may AHL or less pay.

If he's been suspended/expelled from school he doesn't have a scolorship anymore so if he did go back to school it would be on his own dime anyways. Also not sure how rookie contracts work but he can get a nice signing bonus which would pay for any schooling he would want to do in the future

Archived