The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick McNally | D

b3.

249 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm wondering what will happen next season. Will he transfer schools or go to the AHL ( I think he'll be to old for Junior )

He'll return to Harvard.

If he was going to make the jump to the AHL, it would've happened when the lockout ended and while he was suspended.

He's skating with an EJHL team to stay in shape, and maintain his eligibility at Harvard, in order to play at least 1 more year of college hockey

He'll return to Harvard.

If he was going to make the jump to the AHL, it would've happened when the lockout ended and while he was suspended.

He's skating with an EJHL team to stay in shape, and maintain his eligibility at Harvard, in order to play at least 1 more year of college hockey

I'm not ced Harvard may want him back, nothing to do with hockey but more to do with the expectation that Harvard as a school sets, it's Ivy League and they don't like cheats. If he keeps his eligibility he can still play NCAA at another school

I'm not ced Harvard may want him back, nothing to do with hockey but more to do with the expectation that Harvard as a school sets, it's Ivy League and they don't like cheats. If he keeps his eligibility he can still play NCAA at another school

Everything thats been reported is that he can return in the fall to Harvard. Everyone in uni cheats, some just got caught when they did the big sweep at Harvard.

If he transfers, he has to sit out a full season per ncaa rules

Everything thats been reported is that he can return in the fall to Harvard. Everyone in uni cheats, some just got caught when they did the big sweep at Harvard.

Every one in an IVY league school do not cheat and get caught. That's why Harvard is thought of as likely the most prestigious university in NA

Every one in an IVY league school do not cheat and get caught. That's why Harvard is thought of as likely the most prestigious university in NA

Its not just harvard, kids at all uni's cheat. Whether its copying off of someone, or taking ADHD drugs to focus for a test, cheating is rampant in higher education. Its just easier to check a paper versus another than to make everyone take a piss test before an exam

Its not just harvard, kids at all uni's cheat. Whether its copying off of someone, or taking ADHD drugs to focus for a test, cheating is rampant in higher education. Its just easier to check a paper versus another than to make everyone take a piss test before an exam

The NCAA sports in first and fore, most about education , not hockey development, for the student and prestige for the University. I hope he is back next season but I would not be surprised if he's else where. We're not talking BCIT here or Three Rivers in Kamloops we're talking Harvard...Yale et al. Many of the schools only give out 1 year scholarships now for this very reason. I know Yale does and I'm aware of a few others. I'm not sure about Harvard. Chance of a life time for the kid. When some one is caught cheating it reflects on the other Harvard graduates

The NCAA sports in first and fore, most about education , not hockey development, for the student and prestige for the University. I hope he is back next season but I would not be surprised if he's else where. We're not talking BCIT here or Three Rivers in Kamloops we're talking Harvard...Yale et al. Many of the schools only give out 1 year scholarships now for this very reason. I know Yale does and I'm aware of a few others. I'm not sure about Harvard. Chance of a life time for the kid. When some one is caught cheating it reflects on the other Harvard graduates

Ivy league schools don't give scholarships for athletics, only financial need. Yes its a good school, but its not like only people from Harvard can get good jobs.

And as I've already stated, along with others, if he was to transfer to anywhere else he'd have to sit out another full season due to the rulebook.

Seems to me Harvard would welcome him back. Something about showing that they can turn a troubled kid around would speak wonders for the prestige of the school. Something along the lines of 'every school has this problem, but at Harvard we have dealt with it and put it behind us'.

Any school can kick out a cheater, but it takes a truly higher institution to be able to mold that cheater back into a top academic, I could see a school like Harvard going that route to set themselves apart from the other Ivy league schools, but only with select students who they know are guaranteed to turn it around (aka, one giant PR stunt).

Its all about image and prestige at a place like this, if McNally can show them that he can help their image, they will let him back, if they feel he will tarnish their reputation, he will never step foot on that campus again, it is as simple as that.

Its all about image and prestige at a place like this, if McNally can show them that he can help their image, they will let him back, if they feel he will tarnish their reputation, he will never step foot on that campus again, it is as simple as that.

That's it in a nutshell

Seems to me Harvard would welcome him back. Something about showing that they can turn a troubled kid around would speak wonders for the prestige of the school. Something along the lines of 'every school has this problem, but at Harvard we have dealt with it and put it behind us'.

Any school can kick out a cheater, but it takes a truly higher institution to be able to mold that cheater back into a top academic, I could see a school like Harvard going that route to set themselves apart from the other Ivy league schools, but only with select students who they know are guaranteed to turn it around (aka, one giant PR stunt).

Harvard's been losing a lot of games lately... who knows if they'll take him back at this point? ;)

Harvard's been losing a lot of games lately... who knows if they'll take him back at this point? ;)

He was truly a backbone of Harvard's core. I hate this situation, but going back to Harvard might be better for him in the long run. All I know is, he better take all of this free time he suddenly has, and start pumping iron like a crazy man in prison.

He was truly a backbone of Harvard's core. I hate this situation, but going back to Harvard might be better for him in the long run. All I know is, he better take all of this free time he suddenly has, and start pumping iron like a crazy man in prison.

Yeah, if he isn't going to play I hope he at least gets stronger for next year.

Its not true at all the everyone cheats (I have not yet done so, so I know there is at least one person, and I am entering my upper years in the fall). I would guess that cheating rates also depend on what major you are in. Cheating on a math exam (my major) is damn near impossible unless you are literally copying answers (and how tests are set up makes that difficult). I expect your statement holds true for the non-academic (and frankly less rigorous) areas like business, marketing, etc. But if you don't know what you are doing on a math exam, no amount of past plagiarizing will help you, as it will be painfully obvious you have no clue what is going on. And using ADHD medication to stay focused is not cheating, it is dangerous, but it is not cheating (and it is unlikely to actually help you anyway).

But on the issue at hand. Harvard, more then any other Ivy league school, is criticized for being a degree factory, rather then an institution of learning. Although I would guess that Mcnally and others will be allowed to return, it is fully within the realm of possibility that they will not allow them to come back at all, to make an example of them. This is especially the case if none of the cheaters were kin of large donors. Do not underestimate Harvard's vanity, if this story keeps rolling along (unlikely as that may be) you could see long term consequences for this group.

From what I understand, the cheaters took a take home exam and used other resources to complete it (but it was short of plagiarism if I am not mistaken). I have never had a take home exam, but on the face of it they seem ridiculous. I would be inclined to change the policy so that take home exams were "open book", and if professors disliked that, then they must hold a controlled environment exam.

Its not true at all the everyone cheats (I have not yet done so, so I know there is at least one person, and I am entering my upper years in the fall). I would guess that cheating rates also depend on what major you are in. Cheating on a math exam (my major) is damn near impossible unless you are literally copying answers (and how tests are set up makes that difficult). I expect your statement holds true for the non-academic (and frankly less rigorous) areas like business, marketing, etc. But if you don't know what you are doing on a math exam, no amount of past plagiarizing will help you, as it will be painfully obvious you have no clue what is going on. And using ADHD medication to stay focused is not cheating, it is dangerous, but it is not cheating (and it is unlikely to actually help you anyway).

But on the issue at hand. Harvard, more then any other Ivy league school, is criticized for being a degree factory, rather then an institution of learning. Although I would guess that Mcnally and others will be allowed to return, it is fully within the realm of possibility that they will not allow them to come back at all, to make an example of them. This is especially the case if none of the cheaters were kin of large donors. Do not underestimate Harvard's vanity, if this story keeps rolling along (unlikely as that may be) you could see long term consequences for this group.

From what I understand, the cheaters took a take home exam and used other resources to complete it (but it was short of plagiarism if I am not mistaken). I have never had a take home exam, but on the face of it they seem ridiculous. I would be inclined to change the policy so that take home exams were "open book", and if professors disliked that, then they must hold a controlled environment exam.

I agree that math is set up to be impossible to cheat at but I disagree that Ritalin and aderall won't help. I know many people, in classes and graduated that have attested to them essentially being the only reason they passed due to their increased focus over a day to be able to study

• 3 months later...

So where the goat is this guy? No one in the Canucks org has said a peep about this guys cheating accusations after the lockout e ended - and no one in the media has asked? The media around here is losing their touch.

He just lost 1 year of hockey development I guess. But he must be planning on returning to Harvard next yr - I guess he's eligible to after a yr right?

So where the goat is this guy? No one in the Canucks org has said a peep about this guys cheating accusations after the lockout e ended - and no one in the media has asked? The media around here is losing their touch.

He just lost 1 year of hockey development I guess. But he must be planning on returning to Harvard next yr - I guess he's eligible to after a yr right?

I imagine he'll return - if he was going to turn pro, he probably would've done so already (like Myron did). It doesn't seem like the kind of incident the Canucks would want to publicly discuss. And the lack of media attention, I'm not surprised by... unless your name's Jensen, Gaunce, or Schroeder, or you suddenly crack the lineup (ie. Corrado) they generally don't care. Its pretty disappointing, I think some on CDC are even more aware of what's going on with our secondary prospects sometimes.

Archived