The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick McNally | D

b3.

249 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My word when you look at Harvards success or lack of...makes you wonder if McNally is playing in the right place to progress as a hockey player....looks like he needs a fresh start.

http://www.hockeydb.com/scoreboard/

Only 22 games and even worse only 6 wins my my

thats kinda how college hockey works. teams rise and fall regularly. McNally has plenty more to learn from the college game.

thats kinda how college hockey works. teams rise and fall regularly. McNally has plenty more to learn from the college game.

Here's the rub how much do you learn with only 22 games in your season...does this prepare you for a 80+ game schedule. Plus of course he's playingon a loosing team...limited success...which speaks to the kind of coaching he's getting....6 wins all season wow doesn't exactley foster a winning attitude in a player the Canucks had high hopes for...and then he got sat out :picard:

Considering he was drafted in the 4th round, I'd hesitate to say high hopes. He has a lot of offensive ability but needs a better overall game and it's a big part of why he wasn't a higher pick. We'd be lucky if he turns out as would any team getting NHL games from a 4th round pick.

Here's the rub how much do you learn with only 22 games in your season...does this prepare you for a 80+ game schedule. Plus of course he's playingon a loosing team...limited success...which speaks to the kind of coaching he's getting....6 wins all season wow doesn't exactley foster a winning attitude in a player the Canucks had high hopes for...and then he got sat out :picard:

It's prepared plenty of NHL players so I'd go ahead and say yes. They're only graduating 4 players; poised for a better season next year. At this point he is an average NCAA player. I'd rather he just finish out his college career and try to regain that offensive prowess he showed as a freshman.

Considering he was drafted in the 4th round, I'd hesitate to say high hopes. He has a lot of offensive ability but needs a better overall game and it's a big part of why he wasn't a higher pick. We'd be lucky if he turns out as would any team getting NHL games from a 4th round pick.

Would have went in the 2nd round, if he didn't decide to go to Harvard first (the correct choice).

the reason he dropped wasn't only because he was going to go to harvard, but it was also because he had an entire season of high school hockey to muddle through before even going to harvard, which meant he'd be even further behind the curve when he eventually graduated. lots of teams felt it wasn't worth the risk.

• 4 months later...

His first year at Harvard he was 6 + 22 in 34 games and if memory serves me right a rookie 1st or 2nd all-star, then he does the acameic probation, come back the third year gets 1 + 7 in 20 games and is evntually sat for couple of games at the end of the season. This I assume is his senior year...what happened at one time it was thought he was a good prospect ???

this upcoming year is his junior year. the reason he sat out a full year (instead of coming back at the beginning of the season) was so he would retain that extra year of eligibility.

and he was sat at the end of the season so he would be rested for the playoffs from what i remember. harvard just wasn't that good in general last season, i'm hoping he has a bounce back year, but that one year off really hurt him. hopefully he can move on from it and get back on track.

the really scary thing is that if he has an amazing year, and not only gets back on track but dominates the NCAA, he could pull a Schultz and go UFA this July 1st if he becomes really sought after, because of that extra year of high school hockey.

We have enough players like him if he wants to walk let him. I wonder which round draft pick we would receive in return

none. only 1st round picks that don't get signed give a team a compensatory second round pick.

and if McNally reaches his full potential we really don't have another player in the system like him besides hutton. a super offensive d-man that controls the play are not a dime a dozen.

none. only 1st round picks that don't get signed give a team a compensatory second round pick.

and if McNally reaches his full potential we really don't have another player in the system like him besides hutton. a super offensive d-man that controls the play are not a dime a dozen.

Sacha Guimond imo

this upcoming year is his junior year. the reason he sat out a full year (instead of coming back at the beginning of the season) was so he would retain that extra year of eligibility.

and he was sat at the end of the season so he would be rested for the playoffs from what i remember. harvard just wasn't that good in general last season, i'm hoping he has a bounce back year, but that one year off really hurt him. hopefully he can move on from it and get back on track.

the really scary thing is that if he has an amazing year, and not only gets back on track but dominates the NCAA, he could pull a Schultz and go UFA this July 1st if he becomes really sought after, because of that extra year of high school hockey.

Does McNally really have an "extra" year or is he just going to complete four full seasons inside the standard NCAA Division I "five-year clock"? He doesn't seem to be a candidate for a true added year (ie: a "six-year clock"--which is usually reserved for rare circumstances when players have missed two years of competition due to serious injury).

Isn't he basically under the same rules as everyone else, with a window of five years in which to complete four years of actual competition? Except now he'll be starting his "junior" season in year #4 of his five-year clock.

Basically, as I understand it, his freshman year was 2011-12 (year #1 of his "five-year clock"), then his sophomore year was supposed to be 2012-13 (year #2) but you're suggesting that (because he withdrew for the remainder of that year) his "sophomore" season was effectively "restarted" in 2013-14 (year #3), and now he's starting his "junior" season in 2014-15(year #4) with a timeline to complete a "senior" season in 2015-16 (year #5).

It's all a bit confusing as the Crimson website has him listed as a "senior" on their roster page: http://www.gocrimson.com/sports/mice/2014-15/roster

And they list him on his profile as having completed a "freshman" year in 2011-12, a "sophomore" year in 2012-13, and a "junior" year in 2013-14: http://www.gocrimson.com/sports/mice/2013-14/bios/mcnally_patrick_5itq

But regardless of his class year, it would make sense that he'd have a window from 2011-12 through 2015-16 in which to complete a full four college years of competition. So assuming he didn't "burn" a year in 2012-13 (due to his 7 games played that season)--which is what I'd been assuming until today--he should be eligible to play hockey during (parts of) five seasons (as I've indicated in the timeline above).

Which would mean he's actually playing his junior season in 2014-15 (even though he's listed as a "senior").

It that about right?

Also, I found a highlight video for McNally's 2013-14 season. It was posted on Youtube on 4 June 2014 (so I'm assuming it hasn't been posted earlier in this thread--since it's not on this page since the bump from March):

McNally did not sit out the 12-13 season he played 7 games ( 1 + 2 = 3 pts) and the was suspened academically. So I'd have to think that counts as a season...which means the Crimson roster is correct listing him as a senior...I guess they know. The NCAA rules book is about 15cms thick, good luck to any one wishing to wade through that lot.

Edit: I need to read better

Does McNally really have an "extra" year or is he just going to complete four full seasons inside the standard NCAA Division I "five-year clock"? He doesn't seem to be a candidate for a true added year (ie: a "six-year clock"--which is usually reserved for rare circumstances when players have missed two years of competition due to serious injury).

Isn't he basically under the same rules as everyone else, with a window of five years in which to complete four years of actual competition? Except now he'll be starting his "junior" season in year #4 of his five-year clock.

Basically, as I understand it, his freshman year was 2011-12 (year #1 of his "five-year clock"), then his sophomore year was supposed to be 2012-13 (year #2) but you're suggesting that (because he withdrew for the remainder of that year) his "sophomore" season was effectively "restarted" in 2013-14 (year #3), and now he's starting his "junior" season in 2014-15(year #4) with a timeline to complete a "senior" season in 2015-16 (year #5).

It's all a bit confusing as the Crimson website has him listed as a "senior" on their roster page: http://www.gocrimson.com/sports/mice/2014-15/roster

And they list him on his profile as having completed a "freshman" year in 2011-12, a "sophomore" year in 2012-13, and a "junior" year in 2013-14: http://www.gocrimson.com/sports/mice/2013-14/bios/mcnally_patrick_5itq

But regardless of his class year, it would make sense that he'd have a window from 2011-12 through 2015-16 in which to complete a full four college years of competition. So assuming he didn't "burn" a year in 2012-13 (due to his 7 games played that season)--which is what I'd been assuming until today--he should be eligible to play hockey during (parts of) five seasons (as I've indicated in the timeline above).

Which would mean he's actually playing his junior season in 2014-15 (even though he's listed as a "senior").

It that about right?

Also, I found a highlight video for McNally's 2013-14 season. It was posted on Youtube on 4 June 2014 (so I'm assuming it hasn't been posted earlier in this thread--since it's not on this page since the bump from March):

it's just semantics, but last year was considered, for all intents and purposes, the continuation of his Sophmore season. if he had come back at the start of the year he would have only been allowed to play one more season, the reason he sat out for the number of games he played the previous season was so he could play 2 more seasons in the NCAA while he finishes off his degree. Also, he was considered a sophmore academically last year as well (based on completed credits, not enrollment date like they are doing on the website).

McNally did not sit out the 12-13 season he played 7 games ( 1 + 2 = 3 pts) and the was suspened academically. So I'd have to think that counts as a season...which means the Crimson roster is correct listing him as a senior...I guess they know. The NCAA rules book is about 15cms thick, good luck to any one wishing to wade through that lot.

that only would have counted as a season if he didn't sit out the 7 games to start the season last year. The reason he sat out those 7 games was so he'd be eligible for 2 more seasons, instead of one. and he was never suspended, he withdrew.

as for the harvard website, i wouldn't worry about what they label him as, since he'll be back for a second "senior" year, they merely labeled the 2 "sophmore" seasons separately because it's easier to list it that way (based on enrollment date). i don't think they want to draw attention to the scandal.

Sacha Guimond imo

Pretty slim chances he ever has any NHL impact I think. Jordan Subban would have a better chance than Guimond at playing NHL games in that offensive role.

Hutton's the best option at this point, with a strong game in all areas, and McNally has a very well developed offensive game but needs to work on his all around.

Pretty slim chances he ever has any NHL impact I think. Jordan Subban would have a better chance than Guimond at playing NHL games in that offensive role.

Hutton's the best option at this point, with a strong game in all areas, and McNally has a very well developed offensive game but needs to work on his all around.

I know, I was just kidding haha

Aside from Hutton and Subban the best offensive dmen in our system would be Forsling and Tommernes. I really like Forsling, I feel good about his game. He might surprise some people over the next couple years a la Corrado and Hutton. Tommernes should be stepping into a somewhat larger role in Utica this season and hopefully will increase his point production.

Archived