The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick McNally | D

b3.

249 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

where are you guys finding these playoff brackets?? ive looked everywhere college hockey is effing confusing lol

do the champions of all 4 leagues play in the frozen 4 or is that something diff

that's something diferent, here's how the NCAA playoffs work:

The tournament features 16 teams representing all 5 Divisions I conferences in the nation. The Championship Committee seeds the entire field from 1 to 16 within four regionals of 4 teams. The winners of the five Division I conference championships receive automatic bids to participate in the NCAA Championship. The tournament begins with initial games played at four regional sites culminating with the semi-finals and finals played at a single site.[1]

In setting up the tournament, the Championship Committee seeks to ensure "competitive equity, financial success and likelihood of playoff-type atmosphere at each regional site." A team serving as the host of a regional is placed within that regional. The top four teams are assigned overall seeds and placed within the bracket such that the national semifinals will feature the No. 1 seed versus the No. 4 seed and the No. 2 seed versus the No. 3 seed should the top four teams win their respective regional finals. Number 1 seeds are also placed as close to their home site as possible, with the No. 1 seed receiving first preference. Conference matchups are avoided in the first round; should five or more teams from one conference make the tournament, this guideline may be disregarded in favor of preserving the bracket's integrity.

The tournament features 16 teams representing all 5 Divisions I conferences in the nation. The Championship Committee seeds the entire field from 1 to 16 within four regionals of 4 teams. The winners of the five Division I conference championships receive automatic bids to participate in the NCAA Championship. The tournament begins with initial games played at four regional sites culminating with the semi-finals and finals played at a single site.[1]

In setting up the tournament, the Championship Committee seeks to ensure "competitive equity, financial success and likelihood of playoff-type atmosphere at each regional site." A team serving as the host of a regional is placed within that regional. The top four teams are assigned overall seeds and placed within the bracket such that the national semifinals will feature the No. 1 seed versus the No. 4 seed and the No. 2 seed versus the No. 3 seed should the top four teams win their respective regional finals. Number 1 seeds are also placed as close to their home site as possible, with the No. 1 seed receiving first preference. Conference matchups are avoided in the first round; should five or more teams from one conference make the tournament, this guideline may be disregarded in favor of preserving the bracket's integrity.

Awesome info! thanks Avelanche

no prob, and here's the rankings:

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/icehockey-men/d1/di_mens_hockey_rpi

right now the only team that is in the ncaa finals is merrimack (cannata's team) but if 2 or more teams outside of the top 16 win their league playoffs cannata's team gets knocked out, so we need to cheer that only the ECAC has a lower ranked team win their playoffs (Harvard for McNally, or Colgate for Price, both in the ECAC)

Thanks a lot for this explanation, avelanch. I'm still a tad confused, but I'll figure it out eventually. So basically, now that Merrimack is out of the ECAC conference championship, they're automatically placed in the NCAA championships because of their #15 national rank and are just waiting for the next part of the tournament to start?

Thanks a lot for this explanation, avelanch. I'm still a tad confused, but I'll figure it out eventually. So basically, now that Merrimack is out of the ECAC conference championship, they're automatically placed in the NCAA championships because of their #15 national rank and are just waiting for the next part of the tournament to start?

yes, but they are still in danger of being kicked out since the winners of the 5 league playoffs get automatic seeds into the NCAA playoffs. Since Merrimac is ranked 15th, only 1 of those league winners can be ranked below merrimack in order for them to stay in the ncaa playoffs.

looking at the divisions though, the four remaining teams in the atlantic division are all ranked below merrimac, so that's automatically 1, 3/4 teams in the ECAC are ranked lower, and if either one of our other prospects make it through that automatically kicks out Merrimac. 2/4 teams left in the ccha are ranked below merrimac, 1/4 in Hockey East, and 2/4 in the WCHA.

There's a VERY strong possibility that Merrimac doesn't make it to the ncaa playoffs.

http://www.gocrimson.../20120314c4xvpj

• Patrick McNally was named ECAC Hockey Rookie of the Week following his four-assist weekend. It was his second such selection this season and the fourth of the year for Harvard.

Good for Patrick! Now I wonder if he'll win the ECAC rookie of the year award. I guess it might depend on his performance in the ECAC semis tomorrow against Cornell.

apparently mcnally has a goal and an assist and is +2 on the night.

Yep, McNally finished with a goal and an assist - the assist on the powerplay - and was +2 with 4 shots in a 6-1 win for Harvard over Cornell. He and the Crimson will face Union College in the ECAC final tomorrow.

What's that, 6 points in 4 games for McNally now? His performance in the NCAA tournament will definitely raise his stock for the ECAC rookie of the year award.

do playoffs count in the choices? or is it like the nhl where only the regular season counts?

Not sure. Either way, it's promising for the Canucks that he not only performed great in his freshman season but especially in his first taste of NCAA playoff action. 6 points in 4 games in great for any freshman, but for a freshman defenseman? Don't want to get to far ahead of myself but this kid is looking like a great pick!

1goal and 5 assists in the last 3 games for Patrick Mcnally. Totalling +4 Man are they destroying their opponents.

They will against the number 1 ranked ECAC team, Union tommorow. But the team is probably extremely confident. They just defeated the number 2 seeded team, 6-1, so they are probably on high.

Looking at the Justin Schultz situation, would it be possible for McNally to opt for free agency after he decides to leave college? When has or will the loophole be closed?

And yes, this scenrio can really happen. Last time this happened, it actually happened, the other way around. The player didn't want to sign with the team that drafted him! Blake Wheeler, (ouch) Phoenix's top pick, and a very high one from 2004, he spent his 4 years, in college, but Phoenix desperatley tried signing him, but he didn't want to sign there, and ended up signing with the Bruins. And yes, Vancouver wanted to sign him too. So yes, this can totally happen. End the end, Phoenix wasted a 1st round pick in 2004, despite it being a weak draft, a first round pick, is a first round pick, and keep in mind, they didn't have a 1st round pick from previous year, which was traded to Philly. Phoenix was compensated with a mid 2nd round pick.

Sadly, Harvard just lost 3-1 to Union in the ECAC final game. McNally didn't have the best game, going pointless with a -3 rating. I believe Harvard will still get a shot in the NCAA tournament but avelanch will have to confirm that for me.

Archived