Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Patrick McNally Talk

• Please log in to reply
800 replies to this topic

Poll: Patrick McNally Talk (186 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you happy we drafted Patrick?

1. Yes (160 votes [86.02%])

Percentage of vote: 86.02%

2. No (26 votes [13.98%])

Percentage of vote: 13.98%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#661 Fred65

Fred65

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:31 PM

I'm wondering what will happen next season. Will he transfer schools or go to the AHL ( I think he'll be to old for Junior )

#662 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,834 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:37 PM

I'm wondering what will happen next season. Will he transfer schools or go to the AHL ( I think he'll be to old for Junior )

He'll return to Harvard.

If he was going to make the jump to the AHL, it would've happened when the lockout ended and while he was suspended.

He's skating with an EJHL team to stay in shape, and maintain his eligibility at Harvard, in order to play at least 1 more year of college hockey

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#663 Fred65

Fred65

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

He'll return to Harvard.

If he was going to make the jump to the AHL, it would've happened when the lockout ended and while he was suspended.

He's skating with an EJHL team to stay in shape, and maintain his eligibility at Harvard, in order to play at least 1 more year of college hockey

I'm not ced Harvard may want him back, nothing to do with hockey but more to do with the expectation that Harvard as a school sets, it's Ivy League and they don't like cheats. If he keeps his eligibility he can still play NCAA at another school

#664 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,834 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

I'm not ced Harvard may want him back, nothing to do with hockey but more to do with the expectation that Harvard as a school sets, it's Ivy League and they don't like cheats. If he keeps his eligibility he can still play NCAA at another school

Everything thats been reported is that he can return in the fall to Harvard. Everyone in uni cheats, some just got caught when they did the big sweep at Harvard.

If he transfers, he has to sit out a full season per ncaa rules

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#665 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

Lp

#666 Fred65

Fred65

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

Everything thats been reported is that he can return in the fall to Harvard. Everyone in uni cheats, some just got caught when they did the big sweep at Harvard.

Every one in an IVY league school do not cheat and get caught. That's why Harvard is thought of as likely the most prestigious university in NA

#667 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,834 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

Every one in an IVY league school do not cheat and get caught. That's why Harvard is thought of as likely the most prestigious university in NA

Its not just harvard, kids at all uni's cheat. Whether its copying off of someone, or taking ADHD drugs to focus for a test, cheating is rampant in higher education. Its just easier to check a paper versus another than to make everyone take a piss test before an exam

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#668 Fred65

Fred65

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

Its not just harvard, kids at all uni's cheat. Whether its copying off of someone, or taking ADHD drugs to focus for a test, cheating is rampant in higher education. Its just easier to check a paper versus another than to make everyone take a piss test before an exam

The NCAA sports in first and fore, most about education , not hockey development, for the student and prestige for the University. I hope he is back next season but I would not be surprised if he's else where. We're not talking BCIT here or Three Rivers in Kamloops we're talking Harvard...Yale et al. Many of the schools only give out 1 year scholarships now for this very reason. I know Yale does and I'm aware of a few others. I'm not sure about Harvard. Chance of a life time for the kid. When some one is caught cheating it reflects on the other Harvard graduates

#669 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,834 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:51 PM

The NCAA sports in first and fore, most about education , not hockey development, for the student and prestige for the University. I hope he is back next season but I would not be surprised if he's else where. We're not talking BCIT here or Three Rivers in Kamloops we're talking Harvard...Yale et al. Many of the schools only give out 1 year scholarships now for this very reason. I know Yale does and I'm aware of a few others. I'm not sure about Harvard. Chance of a life time for the kid. When some one is caught cheating it reflects on the other Harvard graduates

Ivy league schools don't give scholarships for athletics, only financial need. Yes its a good school, but its not like only people from Harvard can get good jobs.

And as I've already stated, along with others, if he was to transfer to anywhere else he'd have to sit out another full season due to the rulebook.

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#670 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,567 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:57 AM

if he's not back at harvard in the fall he might as well go pro at this point and just finish his classes online/during the summers. 2 whole seasons gone is not a valid development path.

#671 LostViking

LostViking

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

Seems to me Harvard would welcome him back. Something about showing that they can turn a troubled kid around would speak wonders for the prestige of the school. Something along the lines of 'every school has this problem, but at Harvard we have dealt with it and put it behind us'.

Any school can kick out a cheater, but it takes a truly higher institution to be able to mold that cheater back into a top academic, I could see a school like Harvard going that route to set themselves apart from the other Ivy league schools, but only with select students who they know are guaranteed to turn it around (aka, one giant PR stunt).

Its all about image and prestige at a place like this, if McNally can show them that he can help their image, they will let him back, if they feel he will tarnish their reputation, he will never step foot on that campus again, it is as simple as that.
Posted Image

#672 Fred65

Fred65

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

Its all about image and prestige at a place like this, if McNally can show them that he can help their image, they will let him back, if they feel he will tarnish their reputation, he will never step foot on that campus again, it is as simple as that.

That's it in a nutshell

#673 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:18 AM

Seems to me Harvard would welcome him back. Something about showing that they can turn a troubled kid around would speak wonders for the prestige of the school. Something along the lines of 'every school has this problem, but at Harvard we have dealt with it and put it behind us'.

Any school can kick out a cheater, but it takes a truly higher institution to be able to mold that cheater back into a top academic, I could see a school like Harvard going that route to set themselves apart from the other Ivy league schools, but only with select students who they know are guaranteed to turn it around (aka, one giant PR stunt).

Harvard's been losing a lot of games lately... who knows if they'll take him back at this point? ;)
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#674 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:21 AM

Harvard's been losing a lot of games lately... who knows if they'll take him back at this point? ;)

He was truly a backbone of Harvard's core. I hate this situation, but going back to Harvard might be better for him in the long run. All I know is, he better take all of this free time he suddenly has, and start pumping iron like a crazy man in prison.

Edited by Hansen 36, 09 February 2013 - 12:22 AM.

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#675 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:41 AM

He was truly a backbone of Harvard's core. I hate this situation, but going back to Harvard might be better for him in the long run. All I know is, he better take all of this free time he suddenly has, and start pumping iron like a crazy man in prison.

Yeah, if he isn't going to play I hope he at least gets stronger for next year.
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#676 87Crosby

87Crosby

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

I think he's the best d prospect the Canucks have after Frankie

#677 Lundymaphone

Lundymaphone

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

Its not true at all the everyone cheats (I have not yet done so, so I know there is at least one person, and I am entering my upper years in the fall). I would guess that cheating rates also depend on what major you are in. Cheating on a math exam (my major) is damn near impossible unless you are literally copying answers (and how tests are set up makes that difficult). I expect your statement holds true for the non-academic (and frankly less rigorous) areas like business, marketing, etc. But if you don't know what you are doing on a math exam, no amount of past plagiarizing will help you, as it will be painfully obvious you have no clue what is going on. And using ADHD medication to stay focused is not cheating, it is dangerous, but it is not cheating (and it is unlikely to actually help you anyway).

But on the issue at hand. Harvard, more then any other Ivy league school, is criticized for being a degree factory, rather then an institution of learning. Although I would guess that Mcnally and others will be allowed to return, it is fully within the realm of possibility that they will not allow them to come back at all, to make an example of them. This is especially the case if none of the cheaters were kin of large donors. Do not underestimate Harvard's vanity, if this story keeps rolling along (unlikely as that may be) you could see long term consequences for this group.

From what I understand, the cheaters took a take home exam and used other resources to complete it (but it was short of plagiarism if I am not mistaken). I have never had a take home exam, but on the face of it they seem ridiculous. I would be inclined to change the policy so that take home exams were "open book", and if professors disliked that, then they must hold a controlled environment exam.

#678 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,834 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:14 PM

Its not true at all the everyone cheats (I have not yet done so, so I know there is at least one person, and I am entering my upper years in the fall). I would guess that cheating rates also depend on what major you are in. Cheating on a math exam (my major) is damn near impossible unless you are literally copying answers (and how tests are set up makes that difficult). I expect your statement holds true for the non-academic (and frankly less rigorous) areas like business, marketing, etc. But if you don't know what you are doing on a math exam, no amount of past plagiarizing will help you, as it will be painfully obvious you have no clue what is going on. And using ADHD medication to stay focused is not cheating, it is dangerous, but it is not cheating (and it is unlikely to actually help you anyway).

But on the issue at hand. Harvard, more then any other Ivy league school, is criticized for being a degree factory, rather then an institution of learning. Although I would guess that Mcnally and others will be allowed to return, it is fully within the realm of possibility that they will not allow them to come back at all, to make an example of them. This is especially the case if none of the cheaters were kin of large donors. Do not underestimate Harvard's vanity, if this story keeps rolling along (unlikely as that may be) you could see long term consequences for this group.

From what I understand, the cheaters took a take home exam and used other resources to complete it (but it was short of plagiarism if I am not mistaken). I have never had a take home exam, but on the face of it they seem ridiculous. I would be inclined to change the policy so that take home exams were "open book", and if professors disliked that, then they must hold a controlled environment exam.

I agree that math is set up to be impossible to cheat at but I disagree that Ritalin and aderall won't help. I know many people, in classes and graduated that have attested to them essentially being the only reason they passed due to their increased focus over a day to be able to study

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#679 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,197 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:31 AM

So where the goat is this guy? No one in the Canucks org has said a peep about this guys cheating accusations after the lockout e ended - and no one in the media has asked? The media around here is losing their touch.

He just lost 1 year of hockey development I guess. But he must be planning on returning to Harvard next yr - I guess he's eligible to after a yr right?

#680 stonecoldstevebernier

stonecoldstevebernier

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:44 AM

So where the goat is this guy? No one in the Canucks org has said a peep about this guys cheating accusations after the lockout e ended - and no one in the media has asked? The media around here is losing their touch.

He just lost 1 year of hockey development I guess. But he must be planning on returning to Harvard next yr - I guess he's eligible to after a yr right?

I imagine he'll return - if he was going to turn pro, he probably would've done so already (like Myron did). It doesn't seem like the kind of incident the Canucks would want to publicly discuss. And the lack of media attention, I'm not surprised by... unless your name's Jensen, Gaunce, or Schroeder, or you suddenly crack the lineup (ie. Corrado) they generally don't care. Its pretty disappointing, I think some on CDC are even more aware of what's going on with our secondary prospects sometimes.

abl8vt.jpg

#681 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,047 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:52 AM

Yea, his plan is to return to Harvard in the fall.

Hopefully it hasn't derailed his development too much. We really need this guy to reach his potential, since we don't have enough elite puck movers like him in the system. Before the suspension I would have had him up there in the top 3 for our D prospects. But now it looks like guys like Price, Tommernes, and Andersson have passed him for now.

I'm hoping he took this time off to bulk up and work on his skating at least.

Edited by DeNiro, 20 May 2013 - 01:54 AM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#682 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,197 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:00 AM

I imagine he'll return - if he was going to turn pro, he probably would've done so already (like Myron did). It doesn't seem like the kind of incident the Canucks would want to publicly discuss. And the lack of media attention, I'm not surprised by... unless your name's Jensen, Gaunce, or Schroeder, or you suddenly crack the lineup (ie. Corrado) they generally don't care. Its pretty disappointing, I think some on CDC are even more aware of what's going on with our secondary prospects sometimes.

Lol, it's definitely true, the media tends to be clueless unless it's a juice story. Which is why I'm surprised no ones jumped on this story which could be pretty juicy "Canucks prospect cheats his way out of Harvard". Lol.

Yea, his plan is to return to Harvard in the fall.

Hopefully it hasn't derailed his development too much. We really need this guy to reach his potential, since we don't have enough elite puck movers like him in the system. Before the suspension I would have had him up there in the top 3 for our D prospects. But now it looks like guys like Price, Tommernes, and Andersson have passed him for now.

I'm hoping he took this time off to bulk up and work on his skating at least.

Ya, him and Price are pretty intriguing to me. Hopefully we get to see Price next yr, and hopefully McNally didn't decide to spend his off time eating cheeseburgers. It's weird we don't even know what he's doing. No hockey, no school, presumably no job - what's this chap doing with his time? Is he at least practicing with a team? It's also pretty weird no one in Canucks org have said a peep about him.

#683 Fred65

Fred65

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:35 PM

I believe McNally played or practised with a local Junior team

#684 wshdrvvn

wshdrvvn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:12 PM

I believe McNally played or practised with a local Junior team

thats my understanding as well. no stats to be found (i didn't find them, anyway.) so i'm thinking he just practiced with an ejhl team.

#685 BureisBest

BureisBest

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:33 PM

People make mistakes. Let's hope he learns from it and uses it as motivation to be one of the best d-men in NCAA next year.
Posted Image

#686 The Nuckist

The Nuckist

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:16 PM

People make mistakes. Let's hope he learns from it and uses it as motivation to be one of the best d-men in NCAA next year.

How was McNally doing before he got into trouble? Can he actually be one of the best d-men in the NCAA next year?
"There are a lot of selfless players on our roster ... I think, to a man, if you asked the guys, they would rather win a game 1-0 than lose a game and get a hat trick. That's the type of guys we have in our room and that's the type of player you need to be successful."
-- Kevin Bieksa

#687 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,567 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:33 PM

How was McNally doing before he got into trouble? Can he actually be one of the best d-men in the NCAA next year?

he has the potential, but a missed year won't help it come to fruition.

#688 BureisBest

BureisBest

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:24 PM

As a Freshman, McNally had 28 points in 34 games. That was good for a 0.82 point-per-game clip, which ranked #8 in the country among d-men. The guys in front of him included Justin Schultz, Danny Biega, Torey Krug, and Adam Clendening. Now, he is two years older, and he was already 6'2-190. He certainly is capable of showing a lot next year and being among the best d-men in the country. Imo, it all depends on if he uses this negative situation as motivation to get even better (yes please), or if he lets it drag him down.
Posted Image

#689 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,621 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:42 PM

As far as I know he'll be allowed to resume playing mid-season next year. A New Jersey Devils defense prospect named Jon Merrill went through the same ordeal at U of Michigan and came through it fine. Players miss a calendar year with serious injuries and bounce back to previous form; in this case at least there c is no health concern. As far as I'm concerned he's still a really interesting prospect,

th_1435408476_c985b0ec75_zps489544ad.jpg

#690 BureisBest

BureisBest

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:41 PM

As far as I know he'll be allowed to resume playing mid-season next year. A New Jersey Devils defense prospect named Jon Merrill went through the same ordeal at U of Michigan and came through it fine. Players miss a calendar year with serious injuries and bounce back to previous form; in this case at least there c is no health concern. As far as I'm concerned he's still a really interesting prospect,

I don't believe any details regarding the length of the suspension have been published. It is possible that he will be free to play the entire season next year and also possible that it may be a full calendar year suspension, as you alluded to. I'm hoping for the former, but fair is fair if it is the calender year.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.