The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick McNally | D

b3.

249 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Gilman is on Team 1040 and says that Patrick is on a LOA (leave of absence). So he could go back.

The vibe I got from the very brief discussion - was that the Canucks were going to sign him as soon as the lockout ends.

Sounds good that he at least has the option to go back; I mean even though his academic record is probably tarnished for what happened (as bad as that is) at least he'd get the chance to finish there. I'd take the Canucks contract but try to stay in school and rebound from this situation (maybe transfer and play/ study elsewhere if not Harvard), graduate and then turn pro, rather than just giving up on school partway. At least if he finished he'd have "graduated from Harvard" on his resume, and that would be immensely helpful if his hockey dreams don't become reality.

Hope he makes a good choice and rebounds well from this.

Gilman is on Team 1040 and says that Patrick is on a LOA (leave of absence)

So he could go back.

The vibe I got from the very brief discussion - was that the Canucks were going to sign him as soon as the lockout ends.

What vibe? Gilman said they are not willing to discuss him at this point other than he has taken a leave of absence.

Sounds good that he at least has the option to go back; I mean even though his academic record is probably tarnished for what happened (as bad as that is) at least he'd get the chance to finish there. I'd take the Canucks contract but try to stay in school and rebound from this situation (maybe transfer and play/ study elsewhere if not Harvard), graduate and then turn pro, rather than just giving up on school partway. At least if he finished he'd have "graduated from Harvard" on his resume, and that would be immensely helpful if his hockey dreams don't become reality.

Hope he makes a good choice and rebounds well from this.

maybe he should have considered that before he cheated?

What vibe? Gilman said they are not willing to discuss him at this point other than he has taken a leave of absence.

I need to justify my vibes now?

Edit: why I got this vibe... is because I highly doubt the Canucks will let one of their top D prospects to take a full year off.

I'm not prepared to rule out a transfer just yet. His hockey skills would be enticing to just about any NCAA program.Unless this is an outright expulsion I don't see why other school would feel obliged to honor a 'blackballing' of students weren't actually expelled.

this is his sophmore year, traditional transfer rules state that he needs to spend a full year at his new school before he is eligible to play unless he meets the eligibility for a one-time transfer:

Q: If I transfer to another four-year institution, will I immediately be eligible?

A: The general rule for all student-athletes transferring from one four-year institution to another four-year institution is that they must spend one academic year in residence at the school to which they transfer before they may be eligible for competition. However, you may be eligible immediately upon transfer if you meet one of several transfer exceptions. [Note: During a student-athlete's initial year of collegiate enrollment, he or she only may use a transfer exception if they have been certified by the NCAA Initial-Eligibility Clearinghouse as a qualifier.]

The most common transfer exception is the One-Time Transfer Exception. To be eligible to use this exception:

a. A student-athlete must be transferring to another four-year institution to participate in sports other than Division I basketball, Division I men's ice hockey

and Division I football (unless the student-athlete is transferring from Division IA to Division I-AA);

b. The student-athlete's first transfer from one four-year college to another four-year college;

c. The student-athlete must have been eligible academically had he or she remained at their previous institution;

d. The student-athlete must obtain a written release from the current institution stating that they have no objection to the student-athlete's use of the exception.

[Note: Student-athletes transferring from an NCAA Division III institution using this exception may not receive athletically related financial aid during their first

academic year in residence on transfer.]

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nm/genrel/auto_pdf/0708-saac-info.pdf

He doesn't meet Part A, since he's in div 1 ice hockey;

since he withdrew, he doesn't meet portion C of the eligibility;

and I doubt Harvard would provide him with part D, though it would be a moot request, as he already doesn't qualify due to part A and C.

so he would have to find a school willing to take him in his senior year...

thisis his sophmore year, traditional transfer rules state that he needs to spend a full year at his new school before he is eligible to play unless he meets the eligibility for a one-time transfer:

He doesn't meet Part A, since he's in div 1 ice hockey;

since he withdrew, he doesn't meet portion C of the eligibility;

and I doubt Harvard would provide him with part D, though it would be a moot request, as he already doesn't qualify due to part A and C.

so he would have to find a school willing to take him in his senior year...

In lacrosse, if a player receives an approval to transfer from the team and school, he is able to transfer right away and play. If harvard granted him a transfer I'd think he'd be able to play next season

No one gets a second chance?

My thoughts exactly. Everyone makes mistakes, hopefully he can come out a better man after he faces the just consequences for his actions. Life goes on, heck I think of Mike Danton (conspiring for murder, to attending and completing University with a 3.9 GPA), Michael Vick (dog fighting), Dany Heatley (killed his friend and teammate in their car crash, yet has still developed into a solid player) and even Mike Tyson, who had run-in's with the law yet bounced back. Tough times form good character and I think Patrick could potentially stand to really benefit from this.

In lacrosse, if a player receives an approval to transfer from the team and school, he is able to transfer right away and play. If harvard granted him a transfer I'd think he'd be able to play next season

lacrosse is not part of part A of the exception criteria. hockey is. there is a reason they specifically mention div 1 mens ice hockey.

as I mentioned, he also fails part C. he MIGHT be able to get Harvard to sign off on the transfer, but I doubt they would do that for someone they were going to expell for what they deem as cheating.

Besides, harvard signing off on it is Moot, since he has to pass all 4 parts of the exemption criteria, not just 1 part.

Wow, what a disaster. Sounds to me like he was simply caught up in the dragnet as Harvard cleaned house to protect its reputation. There were dozens of students caught up in this and surely they all have different degrees of guilt. For his sake I hope he can be reinstated and get his degree. For the organizations sake I want to see him playing hockey ASAP. He needs to be developing, not sitting.

Wow, what a disaster. Sounds to me like he was simply caught up in the dragnet as Harvard cleaned house to protect its reputation. There were dozens of students caught up in this and surely they all have different degrees of guilt. For his sake I hope he can be reinstated and get his degree. For the organizations sake I want to see him playing hockey ASAP. He needs to be developing, not sitting.

There's no way he's going back to Harvard.

Right now, hes on a LOA. In other words, Laurance Gillman probably doesn't want to give too much information on this right now. At this point, I am guessing it's an "early Christmas" for Patrick Mcnally, and they will look into options in the new year. I would like to see the Chicago wolves Give him a tryout contract.

Archived