The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick McNally | D

b3.

249 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I consider him a poor mans drew doughty

have you seen him play? it's hard to consider him anything more than a "Canucks prospect" at this point. He certainly seems like he has a lot of potential, and I have high hopes for him and his development; but without any footage or personal experience, it's hard to really form any comparisons.

• 5 weeks later...

have you seen him play? it's hard to consider him anything more than a "Canucks prospect" at this point. He certainly seems like he has a lot of potential, and I have high hopes for him and his development; but without any footage or personal experience, it's hard to really form any comparisons.

exactly, until we see him at training camp or what the coaches have to say about him we really have no opinion here.

• 1 month later...

I hope McNally can be similar to Tanev in his development- aka fast.

He is 19 and off to play at Harvard in the fall 2011. I believe he will play two or more years under this system and turn pro and play in the AHL.

By all accounts he is very projectible and we will see this fall how his raw talent translates into the college game against better opponents. He was ranked 40th overall by CSS in 2010, so they saw upside in him considering he was a prep school player.

He is appealing because he has a great frame 6'2 180+ lbs. and is known to be a very smart defenseman who likes the puck and creates offense.

He is appealing because he has a great frame 6'2 180+ lbs. and is known to be a very smart defenseman who likes the puck and creates offense.

I'd question the 180 lbs measurement. Met him in the summer and he is very lean and thin. The amount of muscle on him is very little. Think Mason Raymond in 2006. He's lucky he'll have a college weight training program soon enough because he will need it.

Don't see the Doughty Comparison at all - playing style or looks. Doughty has jowls and has always been known to pack some extra weight, whereas Mcnally is really in a 15 year old's body.

Mcnally was described as recently as a riverboat gambler/rover - all over the ice taking chances to make offense often foregoing defense. His style reminds me of Subban before he was drafted in that he will try to carry the puck himself end to end, go one on one with defenders, trying to outskate or outdeke them. I asked one scout who watched him in the last tourney - they said they really didn't know how he would translate to college because those moves simply won't work against much tougher competition. They also mentioned that he could be a guy who could be moved to forward. I don't see the ease that you are projecting/hoping next year. It'll be an adjustment year - Harvard didn't have a good team the past season and don't expect to have a very good one next year.

Here is the only video of Milton - its of his draft year. #4

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone come across McNally's stats for the 2010-2011 season? He was a senior at Milton, where his team had an amazing 26-3-1 record. McNally was named the New England Prep School Player of the Year, and will start college next year at Harvard.

I'm writing an article on Canucks prospects and can't find this year's stats anywhere. If you could post them, I'd appreciate it.

The only site I found that would have the stats is USHR.com, but they charge an exorbitant subscription fee to see current stats...

Has anyone come across McNally's stats for the 2010-2011 season? He was a senior at Milton, where his team had an amazing 26-3-1 record. McNally was named the New England Prep School Player of the Year, and will start college next year at Harvard.

I'm writing an article on Canucks prospects and can't find this year's stats anywhere. If you could post them, I'd appreciate it.

The only site I found that would have the stats is USHR.com, but they charge an exorbitant subscription fee to see current stats...

look one page back, or 1 post up...

Such amazing stats.... what are the following reasons for them?

1. High-scoring league anyways

2. The competition level was just that weak

3. He's just that good of a player

4. Combination of the above?

To post an article from before this season started as posted by HailTheVillain, the 56th post in this thread:

I found this article on Hockey's Future from a while back and found it interesting

http://www.hockeysfu...atrick_mcnally/

Scoring 14 goals and 34 points in 27 games is tough as a defenseman. It's even tougher in the ultra-competitive Independent School League.

Patrick McNally jumped 44 spots between the mid-term...

(feel free to go read the whole article if you'd like, it's all posted in the 56th post)

After watching what was available to watch of last years training camp, I was impressed by him as per my posts earlier in this thread. Very glad to see that he's attending again this year.

Such amazing stats.... what are the following reasons for them?

1. High-scoring league anyways

2. The competition level was just that weak

3. He's just that good of a player

4. Combination of the above?

He'a two years older than most of the players in the league he's playing in and there isn't very many players in that league that will ever play higher than University hockey. Add that to fact that he is a pretty good player anyways and you get his stats.

Archived