The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick McNally | D

b3.

249 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Harvard Men’s Hockey Powers Past Princeton, 4-3

PRINCETON, N.J.—The nation's top power play netted three more man-advantage goals to lead the Harvard men's hockey team past host Princeton, 4-3, Saturday afternoon at Baker Rink.

Patrick McNally, Marshall Everson and Eric Kroshus scored power-play goals, and Kroshus assisted on Danny Biega's even-strength tally that held up as the game-winner. Steve Michalek made several key saves and totaled 31 stops to send the Crimson (4-3-3, 3-3-2 ECAC Hockey, 1-2-1 Ivy League) into first-semester exams on a four-game unbeaten streak.

McNally added two assists for his second straight three-point game, and Biega had one helper for his fifth straight game with two points. Marc Hagel scored twice to bring the Tigers (4-8-2, 3-6-1, 1-3-0) back from two goals down late in the second period. Sean Bonar made 22 saves as Princeton held a 34-26 shots edge.

The Tigers took a pair of overlapping boarding penalties in the game's first two minutes, and Harvard capitalized on its brief two-man advantage. Alex Killorn won a faceoff to Alex Fallstrom on the left wall, got the puck back and found McNally between the circles. The nation's highest-scoring freshman defenseman roofed a shot over Bonar at 1:48 of the opening period.

Harvard kept the play in the Princeton end for much of the period until the final three minutes, when Hagel rang a shot off the crossbar and Michalek made consecutive big saves on Jack Berger. The late flurry helped the Tigers to an 11-8 edge in first-period shots.

The Crimson struck again on the power play to double its lead at 9:18 of the second period. Everson scored his third goal in two games after Bonar stopped Luke Greiner's one-timer off a McNally pass.

Princeton again picked up its offense in the latter part of the period. Michalek kept the Tigers off the board with a lunging toe save on Tucker Brockett, but Hagel scored twice in 11 seconds to erase the Harvard lead in the final minute of the frame. The Tigers' captain scored on the power play and again after the faceoff following the goal. The Crimson outshot the Tigers, 10-8, in the second period.

Harvard started the third period on a power play after a late interference penalty on the Tigers. After passes from Colin Blackwell and Biega in the Crimson zone, Kroshus lofted the puck deep into the Tigers' end. Kroshus beat a Tiger to the puck and banged a shot low past Bonar at the 1:44 mark.

Biega built the lead back to two at 6:59. McNally head-manned the puck to Kroshus, who passed to Biega. The junior defenseman ripped a wrist shot over Bonar's shoulder that bounced out so quickly that the red light did not go on initially. Kroshus batted in the rebound for good measure, but Biega's shot counted for a 4-2 lead.

Kevin Mills answered for Princeton after just 41 seconds, but the Tigers could not find an equalizer. Michalek dove to his right to rob Hagel from a shot into an apparently empty goal with about five minutes left. He then stopped Andrew Ammon in the final minute, before Blackwell's shot at the vacated Princeton goal hit the post five seconds before the final whistle.

A sleeper pick. 6 points in the past 2 games, this kid is a freshmen, and its something extremely rare for a freshmen that is a defencemen to put up the numbers he has. They are even talking about him over at Hfboards right now, from fans who follow that leauge, they say is something they rarely seen. Mcnally has more points right now, then Patrick Whites entire freshemen year. We have 3 defencemens have reall good seasons right now, Mcnally, Price, Corrado, and even Connauton.

A sleeper pick. 6 points in the past 2 games, this kid is a freshmen, and its something extremely rare for a freshmen that is a defencemen to put up the numbers he has. They are even talking about him over at Hfboards right now, from fans who follow that leauge, they say is something they rarely seen. Mcnally has more points right now, then Patrick Whites entire freshemen year. We have 3 defencemens have reall good seasons right now, Mcnally, Price, Corrado, and even Connauton.

He's a '91-born rookie. This year's rookie class entering the NCAA are '93-born kids.

Seeing as he's 2 years older than normal freshmen, I'd expect McNally to be putting up numbers like he is right away. If anything, I'd compare McNally to 2nd or 3rd year players rather than freshmen because that gives us a better assessment. Even still, he's doing very well.

But him being the best rookie defenseman while being 2 years overage is nothing of an accomplishment.

He's a '91-born rookie. This year's rookie class entering the NCAA are '93-born kids.

Seeing as he's 2 years older than normal freshmen, I'd expect McNally to be putting up numbers like he is right away. If anything, I'd compare McNally to 2nd or 3rd year players rather than freshmen because that gives us a better assessment. Even still, he's doing very well.

But him being the best rookie defenseman while being 2 years overage is nothing of an accomplishment.

it's 1 year at best, seeing as he's a December 10th birthday. 21 days away from being a 92 birthday is hardly worth the full year's discount of his accomplishments. Especially when some people said he wouldn't be able to transition/prosper because he played high school hockey last season.

He may be older, but any D putting up better than a PPG in NCAA is outstanding. This guy may be our best offensive prospect on the blueline, and that's including K-Con.

it's 1 year at best, seeing as he's a December 10th birthday. 21 days away from being a 92 birthday is hardly worth the full year's discount of his accomplishments. Especially when some people said he wouldn't be able to transition/prosper because he played high school hockey last season.

No, because '91 born kids start college in 2009 if they start school at the normal age. Since he's a really late '91 as you say, I can see that his parent could have held him back a year to start school so he would be in school with '92 born kids. Even still, kids born in '92 start college at 2010. Now, I don't know why on earth he played ANOTHER year of high school hockey on top of that, but it happened.

So really, it's 1 year at least, not 1 year at best. It's 2 years at best because he could have attended college in 2009 and he actually attended in 2011. His transition from high school to NCAA was obviously smoother because he's older and more mature than most kids who make the jump.

I thought McNally would struggle too when he made the jump before I found out he was two years older than this year's rookie class.

He may be older, but any D putting up better than a PPG in NCAA is outstanding. This guy may be our best offensive prospect on the blueline, and that's including K-Con.

I agree. That's why I said:

But I wouldn't say he's the best defensive prospect with offensive capabilities in our system.

No, because '91 born kids start college in 2009 if they start school at the normal age. Since he's a really late '91 as you say, I can see that his parent could have held him back a year to start school so he would be in school with '92 born kids. Even still, kids born in '92 start college at 2010. Now, I don't know why on earth he played ANOTHER year of high school hockey on top of that, but it happened.

So really, it's 1 year at least, not 1 year at best. It's 2 years at best because he could have attended college in 2009 and he actually attended in 2011. His transition from high school to NCAA was obviously smoother because he's older and more mature than most kids who make the jump.

I thought McNally would struggle too when he made the jump before I found out he was two years older than this year's rookie class.

91 december means the school prevented him from joining school with the rest of the 91 kids (cutoff for school is usually beginning of the school year) then he might have been held back one year for any number of reasons causing him to have to finish one extra year of high school before joining university last season. and again, he's not 2 years older than the rest of the rookie class, he's 1 year (he should have been with the 92 born kids, school-wise), and even despite that, he's getting points at a torrid pace, espescially for the NCAA.

The only d-men with more points than him in his conference are Nick D'Agostino (junior), Mat Bodie (sophmore; same original school year as mcnally) and Danny Biega (sophmore; same school year), and he's played less games than both Bodie and D'Agostino, and they are only up on him by a single point. Biega is on McNally's team, and leads the conference in d-man points and is only leading by 2 points, and McNally is gaining on him.

why can't you be happy for him instead of trying to discount his accomplishments and bring down the whole thread?

I agree. That's why I said:

But I wouldn't say he's the best defensive prospect with offensive capabilities in our system.

But then again who really cares what you say.

December 13, 2011

Patrick McNally Named ECAC Hockey Rookie of the Week

IHM_1112_McNally_Patrick_26b.jpg

McNally's 12 points have all come in the last seven games (photo courtesy Thom Kendall).

CAMBRIDGE, Mass.—Defenseman Patrick McNally of the Harvard men’s hockey team has been named ECAC Hockey Rookie of the Week, the league office announced Tuesday.

The freshman from Glen Head, N.Y., had a hand in three of Harvard’s goals in the Crimson’s 4-3 win at Princeton Saturday. McNally gave Harvard the lead in the game’s first two minutes and helped the Crimson double its advantage with an assist on Marshall Everson’s second-period goal. In the third period, he assisted on Danny Biega’s goal, the eventual game-winner.

It was the second straight three-point game for McNally, who has totaled three goals and nine assists in 10 games. He ranks third nationally among defensemen, first out of freshman defensemen, in scoring at 1.2 points per game. He is also a key part of a Crimson power-play unit that leads the nation with a 32.1-percent conversion rate.

McNally is the third Crimson player to earn an ECAC Hockey weekly this season. Alex Killorn was named Player of the Week and Colin Blackwell was selected as Rookie of the Week Nov. 29.

http://www.gocrimson.com/sports/mice/2011-12/releases/111213_mcnally

Those "national stats" are PPG (which I would have known had i read closer :P) That's a hell of an accomplishment.

the breakdown is in my post below.

Points Per Game:                                            GP    G- A- P    P/GM

1 Austin Smith (DAL)         Colgate           SR F       17   18-10-28    1.65

2 Jack Connolly              Minnesota Duluth  SR C       18   12-17-29    1.61

3 Justin Schultz (ANA)       Wisconsin         JR D       18    9-19-28    1.56

4 Spencer Abbott             Maine             SR F       15   10-13-23    1.53

5 Mark Zengerle              Wisconsin         SO F       18    8-19-27    1.50

6 Kyle De Laurell            Air Force         JR F       15   11-11-22    1.47

7 Rylan Schwartz             Colorado College  JR F       13   14- 5-19    1.46

8 Jason Zucker (MIN)         Denver            SO F       16   10-13-23    1.44

9 Danny Biega (CAR)          Harvard           JR D       10    3-11-14    1.40

Brian Flynn                Maine             SR F       15    6-15-21    1.40

11 Jaden Schwartz (STL)       Colorado College  SO F       13    5-13-18    1.38

12 Nick Bjugstad (FLA)        Minnesota         SO F       20   16-11-27    1.35

T. J. Tynan (CLB)          Notre Dame        SO F       20    7-20-27    1.35

14 J.T. Brown                 Minnesota Duluth  SO W       18    6-18-24    1.33

15 Drew Shore (FLA)           Denver            JR F       16    7-14-21    1.31

16 Chris Kreider (NYR)        Boston College    JR F       18   12-11-23    1.28

17 Chris Wagner (ANA)         Colgate           SO F       16    7-13-20    1.25

T.J. Syner                 Massachusetts     SR F       16    7-13-20    1.25

Erik Haula (MIN)           Minnesota         SO F       20    9-16-25    1.25

Matt White                 Nebraska Omaha    SO F       20    9-16-25    1.25

21 Corban Knight (FLA)        North Dakota      JR F       17    6-15-21    1.24

22 Lee Reimer                 Michigan State    SO F       18    8-14-22    1.22

Travis Oleksuk             Minnesota Duluth  SR C       18   13- 9-22    1.22

Brock Nelson (NYI)         North Dakota      SO F       18   14- 8-22    1.22

25 Cole Gunner                Air Force         FR F       15    4-14-18    1.20

Alex Killorn (TBL)         Harvard           SR F       10    6- 6-12    1.20

Patrick McNally (VAN)      Harvard           FR D       10    3- 9-12    1.20

28 Nick D'Agostino (PIT)      Cornell           JR D       11    7- 6-13    1.18

29 Terry Broadhurst           Nebraska Omaha    JR F       20   14- 9-23    1.15

Points Per Game (Defensemen):                               GP    G- A- P    P/GM

1 Justin Schultz (ANA)       Wisconsin         JR D       18    9-19-28    1.56

2 Danny Biega (CAR)          Harvard           JR D       10    3-11-14    1.40

3 Patrick McNally (VAN)      Harvard           FR D       10    3- 9-12    1.20

4 Nick D'Agostino (PIT)      Cornell           JR D       11    7- 6-13    1.18

5 Mike Boivin                Colorado College  JR D       13    4-10-14    1.08

6 Nate Schmidt               Minnesota         SO D       20    1-20-21    1.05

7 Chad Ruhwedel              UMass Lowell      SO D       14    2-12-14    1.00

8 Mat Bodie                  Union             SO D       14    2-11-13    0.93

9 Brady Lamb                 Minnesota Duluth  SR D       18    4-12-16    0.89

10 Gabe Guentzel              Colorado College  SR D       14    3- 9-12    0.86

11 Brad Hunt                  Bemidji State     SR D       18    3-12-15    0.83

12 Tim Kirby                  Air Force         SR D       15    5- 7-12    0.80

Mike Daly                  Holy Cross        SR D       15    1-11-12    0.80

Will O'Neill (WPG)         Maine             SR D       15    1-11-12    0.80

15 Jeremy Price (VAN)         Colgate           JR D       14    2- 9-11    0.79

Points Per Game (Rookies):                                  GP    G- A- P    P/GM

1 Cole Gunner                Air Force         FR F       15    4-14-18    1.20

Patrick McNally (VAN)      Harvard           FR D       10    3- 9-12    1.20

3 Kyle Rau (FLA)             Minnesota         FR F       20   12-10-22    1.10

4 Brian Ferlin (BOS)         Cornell           FR F       11    5- 7-12    1.09

5 Ludwig Karlsson            Northeastern      FR F       14    6- 8-14    1.00

6 Scott Wilson (PIT)         UMass Lowell      FR F       14    6- 7-13    0.93

7 Caleb Herbert (WSH)        Minnesota Duluth  FR W       18    7- 9-16    0.89

8 Ryan Dzingel (OTT)         Ohio State        FR F       17    5-10-15    0.88

9 Grayson Downing            New Hampshire     FR F       15    5- 8-13    0.87

10 Jayson Megna               Nebraska Omaha    FR F       20    6-11-17    0.85

11 Austin Czarnik             Miami             FR F       19    7- 9-16    0.84

12 Jean-Paul Lafontaine       Minnesota State   FR F       18    9- 6-15    0.83

13 Tyler Sikura               Dartmouth         FR F       11    6- 3- 9    0.82

14 Nardo Nagtzaam             Mercyhurst        FR F       16    5- 8-13    0.81

Ross Mauermann             Providence        FR F       16    5- 8-13    0.81

16 Matthew Peca (TBL)         Quinnipiac        FR F       19    4-11-15    0.79

17 Johnny Gaudreau (CGY)      Boston College    FR F       18    7- 7-14    0.78

18 Brett Switzer              Bentley           FR F       16    3- 9-12    0.75

Alex Guptill (DAL)         Michigan          FR F       20    9- 6-15    0.75

20 Phil Di Giuseppe           Michigan          FR F       19    8- 6-14    0.74

21 Chad Demers                Air Force         FR F       15    5- 6-11    0.73

22 Matt Leitner               Minnesota State   FR F       18    5- 8-13    0.72

Brian Sheehan              Sacred Heart      FR F       18    5- 8-13    0.72

24 Ryan Carpenter             Bowling Green     FR F       20    6- 8-14    0.70

25 Scott Jacklin              Robert Morris     FR F       13    6- 3- 9    0.69

26 Joey LaLeggia              Denver            FR D       16    6- 5-11    0.69

Chris Martin               St. Lawrence      FR F       16    6- 5-11    0.69

28 Steven Guzzo               Massachusetts     FR F       15    6- 4-10    0.67

Terrence Wallin            UMass Lowell      FR F       15    3- 7-10    0.67

Chris Bodo                 Mercyhurst        FR F       18    6- 6-12    0.67

Daniel Bahntge             Mercyhurst        FR F       18    3- 9-12    0.67

Joseph LaBate (VAN)        Wisconsin         FR F       18    3- 9-12    0.67

http://collegehockeystats.net/1112/national/d1m

27th nationally in PPG, 3rd for d-men, tied for 1st for freshmen, and a run away 1st for freshmen d-men.

Archived