The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Friesen | C

b3.

131 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Can we show some love for the forgotten one?

I thought Friesen played really well yesterday. Great on the forecheck and very physical for his size.

I think he had a tough time last year adjusting to the pros as a little guy but got better in the latter half - maybe something clicked for him and he figured it out. I'm hoping to see him play well in Utica. A long shot because of his size, but liking his compete a lot.

Could it be possible that Alex Friesen was finally healthy for a long enough period of time that he could train properly and get himself prepared to play at the level that he was able to play at in his final years of junior? It seems like, in today's NHL, any injury that takes you out of commish for any period of time sets you back for nearly twice the time that you were out since the fitness level of the players your competing against today are off the charts.

Wouldn't it be something if Friesen can be the Canucks' answer to a Brendan Gallagher or an Andrew Shaw or a Brad Marchand? A guy can hope, can't he? Anyways, it's good to see Friesen being able to carry over some of the success he had late last season into the current pre-season.

Could it be possible that Alex Friesen was finally healthy for a long enough period of time that he could train properly and get himself prepared to play at the level that he was able to play at in his final years of junior? It seems like, in today's NHL, any injury that takes you out of commish for any period of time sets you back for nearly twice the time that you were out since the fitness level of the players your competing against today are off the charts.

Wouldn't it be something if Friesen can be the Canucks' answer to a Brendan Gallagher or an Andrew Shaw or a Brad Marchand? A guy can hope, can't he? Anyways, it's good to see Friesen being able to carry over some of the success he had late last season into the current pre-season.

Perhaps. It's nice that one of our more mature prospects that was thought to be buried in the depth chart under all these new prospects actually shows up and plays really well.

He was touted as being one of the smartest guys in the draft, was good on faceoffs, played a solid two-way game (and the shutdown role on a contending Niagara Ice Dogs), and always has played bigger than his size. There is very little to not like about him other than his "size" and offensive limitations at the junior level. If he can figure it out, this guy just might be one of those small guys that force their ways onto the roster.

He could be a Gallagher - plays the game clean and hard. I don't see Shaw or Marchand in him, but I do see a little bit of Marchand in Shinkaruk - both really good offensive players and just seems to annoy the heck out of opposing teams.

EDIT: Friesen's OHL club

I have heard some compare Friesen to Vladimir Sobotka. I liked Sobotka so hopefully that's true I had originally wanted him as our 4th line center last year. I haven't seen Friesen play enough to know if that's a completely accurate statement but he looks feisty and tough for his size (plays bigger than he is) I have also heard people compare him to a bottom 6 version of Tyler Johnson. Very interesting guy. Curious to see how he turns out.

Sobotka is definitely something I hope Friesen could turn into, but he'll have to start producing around PPG in the AHL for that to happen.

Also, why is there a poll for this thread lol. So random.

Sobotka is definitely something I hope Friesen could turn into, but he'll have to start producing around PPG in the AHL for that to happen.

Also, why is there a poll for this thread lol. So random.

It was made when he was first drafted

He survived another round of cuts, so obviously he has made an impression on management...which is a good thing.

He was touted as being one of the smartest guys in the draft, was good on faceoffs, played a solid two-way game (and the shutdown role on a contending Oshawa Generals)

Let me correct you, he played for the Niagara IceDogs, a real power-house team with Ryan Strome, Hamilton brothers, Brett Ritchie and few other very notable players. And once spent half a season with Darren Archibald, after he was aquired from Barrie.

Let me correct you, he played for the Niagara IceDogs, a real power-house team with Ryan Strome, Hamilton brothers, Brett Ritchie and few other very notable players. And once spent half a season with Darren Archibald, after he was aquired from Barrie.

Yes, I totally got him mixed up with Jensen. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Friesen slowly putting together a respectable season. 8 points in his last 9 games including 3 apples tonight.

He's back in that .5 PPG range where I wouldn't write him off just yet.

The tireless work ethic that he showed in junior is clearly starting to pay off.

I read a Utica article a few weeks ago and the reporter described Friesen as an emotional leader to the team and acted like a spark plug on occasions.

Plays with so much heart...despite his small stature he seems to be able to find ways to overcome that.

Seriously hope JB gives him a hard look and even an opportunity with the big club. This team could use a lot more heart much like Friesen has

Archived